All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

He's still better than Kepler though, so I was told just last week.
Mad Max is .284 with a .833 OPS over his last 30 games with averages in the .280s for the 15 and 7 game splits as well; it appears he’s legitimately turned the corner.

Last edited:

Twins OPS
1st half: .709
2nd half: .862 (so far)

Twins ERA
1st half: 3.68
2nd half: 4.61 (so far)

Just looked and pretty surprised that they've only played 3 teams so far in the 2nd Half of the season. Two of them, the White Sox and Oakland, are 2 of the 3 worst teams the league.

Starting tomorrow?

They get 3 games against the Kansas City Royals. The worst team in the league. Easy to see why the Front Office, rightly or wrongly, thinks there's a lot of season left.

Last edited:

No you were told that Gallo had been better ever stretch except a cherry picked 2 week stretch.

Since then Kepler has been far better.

You just dont know how to read stats. Even when presented right to you. How you are allowed in public, we will never know.

Mad Max is .284 with a .833 OPS over his last 30 games with averages in the .280s for the 15 and 7 game splits as well; it appears he’s legitimately turned the corner.

Correct.

Keplers last 9 games(since the convo me and him had took place) he is .342/.375/.526 for an OPS of .901.

His previous 15 games before that were very blah. Then he had a torrid stretch for about 2 weeks. And prior to that after coming off the IL he was brutal and benched. Weather guy couldnt grasp that.

Hopefully this hot stretch last, I think it has potential because as Max said himself he got going the moment he hit behind the youngsters(in Seattle). More pitches to hit.

Biggest thing for Kepler is starting him vs righties. For the year hes got a .766 OPS vs righties which is more than serviceable with his D especially when hes riding hot like the last 3 series.

Hes got to sit vs lefties though, his .554 OPS is horrendous. And hes never hit well against them now or in the past.

No you were told that Gallo had been better ever stretch except a cherry picked 2 week stretch.

Since then Kepler has been far better.

You just dont know how to read stats. Even when presented right to you. How you are allowed in public, we will never know.

No, you cherry picked two stats, and the only timeframes that made Gallo look better. I picked more stats and a timeframe that better helps to project how the two were going to perform in the future.

And weird, I was right, because my knowledge of this trumps your 12 year old profanity laced temper tantrums you throw during every game.

Here is the last Ill do of this, I can only show so many numbers before it becomes official you cant grasp it. These stats are Keplers from when he returned from IL with no rehab and took Wallners spot and shouldnt have. Up through the first game in Seattle when this "debate" started.

Max first 11 G back from IL this were his numbers 11 G 4/32 11/1 .125/.152/.125 .277 OPS

Then he hit the 3 run insurance homer in Toronto and for 18G after did this 18G 13/46 12/4 .283/.340/.543 .883 OPS

For the 10G leading into our debate he was at 10G 9/39 11/4 .231/.302/.410 .712 OPS(this is helped by having a double and homer in that seattle game that I counted. Would be way worse without it)

That doesnt even tell the whole story though. While the homer in Toronto was huge. He actually sucked immediately after that. Kepler truly got hot the Red Sox home series.

From 06/20-07/04 a total of 14 games. Max hit

14/40 9/4 .350/.431/.725 1.156 OPS

You made the proclamation on 07/17 that Kepler was "right now" hitting the best. In reality he was god mode for a 14 game stretch that ended TWELVE days prior to you making that claim. He hit 5 homers in those 14 games.

Ironically now since our debate and him heating up in the numbers I posted to NYC, I am more encouraged by those, because hes getting doubles. Kepler had ZERO doubles in the month of june in 64 ABs and his first double of July actually came on 07/17 vs the Ms.

No, you cherry picked two stats, and the only timeframes that made Gallo look better. I picked more stats and a timeframe that better helps to project how the two were going to perform in the future.

And weird, I was right, because my knowledge of this trumps your 12 year old profanity laced temper tantrums you throw during every game.

Wrong. I used THE WHOLE SEASON.

on 07/17 you mased a stretch from 06/20-07/04 as him hitting well at the current moment.

I posted the numbers. Try and keep up for once. Game, set, match.

Now today 07/27. Zero arguments. Right now Max is hitting the best of anyone over the age of 26 on the team. We have 3 series worth of good Abs.

Amed Rosario traded to the Dodgers - Guards with an interesting move
Rosario is a disappointing player but much less of one than Syndergaard. Dodgers just took care of their bench problem with Kike and Rosario added. Next move: Starting pitching.

Rosario is a disappointing player but much less of one than Syndergaard. Dodgers just took care of their bench problem with Kike and Rosario added. Next move: Starting pitching.
He gives them some depth and he was done in Cleveland, as he’s going to be a free agent and they couldn’t come to terms on a contract prior to the season, and apparently weren’t close.

Today the Angels and Detroit played a double header. The first game making up a rainout from yesterday.

Angels won the first game 6-0. Ohtani threw a 1 hit shoutout

The second game is in the bottom of the 8th. Angels are ahead 8-3. In that game Ohtani went 2 for 3 and drove in 3 with his 37th and 38th HR. Truly a generational talent.

Easy to see why Arte Moreno is gambling on being able to sign him rather than taking what he can get in a trade. In baseball, history says that most prospects are truly suspects.

Key piece in the Lopez trade is going to AAA. If people are upset about Cano, who has exceeded expectations by a long shot this year, wait until this kid is in the majors next year.

I will say this trade made a lot of sense given how good Lopez was in the first half last year. It really is amazing how fast it went south. It also just shows you how fast relievers can flame out.

Rosario based solely off this year has been AWFUL. Hes a massive addition by subtraction. Hes like -15 and -6 DR and OAA defensively this year.

Him and Kike are two of the five worst players in baseball this year for every day guys.

Rosario based solely off this year has been AWFUL. Hes a massive addition by subtraction. Hes like -15 and -6 DR and OAA defensively this year.

Him and Kike are two of the five worst players in baseball this year for every day guys.
Both will see the majority of their at bats against lefties. Rosario still hits them well. His only skill at this point, but that's all the Dodgers should need from him.

Both will see the majority of their at bats against lefties. Rosario still hits them well. His only skill at this point, but that's all the Dodgers should need from him.

Oh yeah I was just talking from a guardians losing him stand point.

Dodgers are stacked and just need help. Also, they probably will make both guys remember how to hit, thats how it works for teams like that.

Today the Angels and Detroit played a double header. The first game making up a rainout from yesterday.

The second game is in the bottom of the 8th. Angels are ahead 8-3. In that game Ohtani went 2 for 3 and drove in 3 with his 37th and 38th HR. Truly a generational talent.

Easy to see why Arte Moreno is gambling on being able to sign him rather than taking what he can get in a trade. In baseball, history says that most prospects are truly suspects.
Applaud Arte for getting Giolito and going all in to make the playoffs and show Ohtani he means business.

I also read an article about how it’s not automatic that he won’t resign with the Angels; the SI reporter who does interviews for 60 minutes, said all he cares about is his family and playing baseball and that he doesn’t care about hanging out etc…the reporter also stated that the interview 6 years ago, IIRC, when he came over was his last national big interview and the Angels give him a safe (low key, non spotlight) space and that the Angels give him a lot of leeway in how he preps and that he can do his thing, his way. Also, culturally it may not be uber important for him to get the biggest deal which is offered.

Last edited:

Cole sands continuing to collect a paycheck and not pitching is something. At least the bullpen is never taxed to the amount that we have to use lesser options in high leverage situations, oh wait. They could so easily send him down for the weekend as they had an off day yesterday and and off day on Monday. There is no reason to have 13 pitchers on the roster, especially when one of them (sands) is never asked to pitch.

Truly amazing. His next contract is going to be insane. I do wonder how long he'll be able to be this good at both but it is really fun to watch while it's happening.

Key piece in the Lopez trade is going to AAA. If people are upset about Cano, who has exceeded expectations by a long shot this year, wait until this kid is in the majors next year.

I will say this trade made a lot of sense given how good Lopez was in the first half last year. It really is amazing how fast it went south. It also just shows you how fast relievers can flame out.
I know you take minor league numbers with a grain of salt, but his ERA at AA was 4.87.

Cole sands continuing to collect a paycheck and not pitching is something. At least the bullpen is never taxed to the amount that we have to use lesser options in high leverage situations, oh wait. They could so easily send him down for the weekend as they had an off day yesterday and and off day on Monday. There is no reason to have 13 pitchers on the roster, especially when one of them (sands) is never asked to pitch.

I think there is a solid chance that happens.

Wallner made the trip to KC, so they are definitely doing everything they can to keep him on the roster with Polancos activation. I think if some sort of trade doesnt happen for Gallo(or Kepler) then they will strongly consider just sending down Sands instead.

Why not? He never pitches. We play KC, if we need Sands vs KC we got problems. ANd we have an off day Monday.

Can reevaluate the roster come Tuesday in STL. If the OF depth isnt sorted then, maybe Wallner goes down at that time(still hope not) or someone else is DFA'd.

We can go 1 less pitcher for 3 days in KC fresh off an off day. And I think we might

I think there is a solid chance that happens.

Wallner made the trip to KC, so they are definitely doing everything they can to keep him on the roster with Polancos activation. I think if some sort of trade doesnt happen for Gallo(or Kepler) then they will strongly consider just sending down Sands instead.

Why not? He never pitches. We play KC, if we need Sands vs KC we got problems. ANd we have an off day Monday.

Can reevaluate the roster come Tuesday in STL. If the OF depth isnt sorted then, maybe Wallner goes down at that time(still hope not) or someone else is DFA'd.

We can go 1 less pitcher for 3 days in KC fresh off an off day. And I think we might
I guess we could be up 8-0 in the 8th inning or something. But I would agree having him on the roster doesn't make sense.

I guess we could be up 8-0 in the 8th inning or something. But I would agree having him on the roster doesn't make sense.

Thats asking for an L haha.

If thats the scenario then we go for our 3rd CG SO of the year.

I think the only minor hesitation they may have with it is that Bala and Winder both threw 35 ish pitches on Wednesday.

If that didnt happen im pretty sure Sands woulda just been sent down yesterday before we left.

He bought the incriminating photos off of Jake Cave....

Truly amazing. His next contract is going to be insane. I do wonder how long he'll be able to be this good at both but it is really fun to watch while it's happening.
I really hope they make the playoffs!

And admire him as he seems to handle it well.

Last edited:

Marlins with a nice move for Robertson - was hoping the Twins might snag him. He’s great as he’s a no ego dude and is comfortable in setup or closer’s role.

Had the pleasure of watching him with the Yanks and Mets fairly regularly.

Love that the Marlins are going for it as well. the wildcard race is shaping up as tons of fun 🤩

Last edited:

the Strib had an article about how the rule changes are impacting MLB. includes a lot of stats. a few highlights:

-----(for season to date)-----
BABIP: MLB avg .297 - Twins .299
SB per gm: MLB 0.72 - Twins 0.52
Avg Runs per game: MLB 4.59 - Twins 4.39
Avg K per gm: MLB 8.59 - Twins 10.38

then - Twins before and after All-Star break:
Batting Avg: Before .232 - after .270
BABIP: before .292 - after .354
Runs/gm: before 4.18 - after 5.92
SB/gm: before 0.48 - after 0.77
K/gm: before 10.07 - after 12.15

that's the odd one. post all-star break Twins have higher batting avg, higher BABIP, higher runs/gm - and more K/gm. hitting better - scoring more runs - and striking out more. one of these things is not like the other ones.

Top Bottom