All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Interesting article about Ober.

The Twins righty is on a run of 17 consecutive starts, dating back to his last outing of 2022, in which he has thrown at least five innings but no more than seven, with no more than eight strikeouts and no more than four runs allowed. (And he was hard done by on that four runs allowed count, as he has allowed four runs in just two of those 17 starts, and one of those instances involved an unearned run that scored after he left the game.) Anyway, Ober is on a run of 17 such starts right now. Nobody else in major league history has strung together more than eight. That’s a truly risible margin. But wait, there’s more. The outing before this streak started, Ober struck out 10 in 7 1/3 innings. So really, if he had been a little bit worse, every start he’s made dating back to last June 1 would’ve fit the bill.

Last edited:

A lot of that is they are winning these games in the small sample size post all star break. If you go back and look at some of the games they lost 1-0 or 2-1 in May and June the team had lots of give up in them. Just look at how bad those pre all star break orioles games were. Those games were only 15 days ago. It’s funny how quickly they could have lost 3 in a row and been 5-6 instead of 9-2 post all star break. Now I’m not comparing and they don’t need to give the wins back, but recency bias in baseball can be a good thing.

Its also water finding its level in a 162 game season.

First half we were 8 or 9-15 in 1 run games. Now we are 5-1.

When you have a run differential like us thiose things usually start to even out. Another big key is that our first half had us playing majority of our tough series, hence why were 1 game under. Unlike most teams we didnt get our A's play time in the 1st half.

We already are done with Boston, Toronto, New York, Baltimore, Houston, Dodgers, Braves and half done with Rays. Also played the Padres(great run differential), Cubs(same) and Giants(contenders)

So for the second half we basically have been set to face Texas(2) and Rays(1) then a handful of single series vs the NL WC blood bath of teams with records around us. Plus our remaining 2 miniscule games with Brewers.

Theres an argument to be made that in the first half we completed our obligations against 7.5 of the 9 best teams in baseball.

on Jax- when you can throw 96 or 97mph, don't get beat by hanging a breaking ball. As much as people rag on Pagan, he comes in and throws as hard as he can on almost every pitch, and for the most part, that approach has worked for him. I know the brain trust loves their breaking balls, but I sure wish that the relief pitchers would rely more on the fast ball.

That was a really dumb pitch by Jax. But its a rarity for him.

Issue with Pagan is for like a 3 year stretch he was continuing to throw fastballs and just let them get clobbered, a bit different.

Pagan currently is fun to watch though.

Its also water finding its level in a 162 game season.

First half we were 8 or 9-15 in 1 run games. Now we are 5-1.

When you have a run differential like us thiose things usually start to even out. Another big key is that our first half had us playing majority of our tough series, hence why were 1 game under. Unlike most teams we didnt get our A's play time in the 1st half.

We already are done with Boston, Toronto, New York, Baltimore, Houston, Dodgers, Braves and half done with Rays. Also played the Padres(great run differential), Cubs(same) and Giants(contenders)

So for the second half we basically have been set to face Texas(2) and Rays(1) then a handful of single series vs the NL WC blood bath of teams with records around us. Plus our remaining 2 miniscule games with Brewers.

Theres an argument to be made that in the first half we completed our obligations against 7.5 of the 9 best teams in baseball.
That’s why game to game emotion in baseball is not needed. It’s a marathon not a sprint.

That’s why game to game emotion in baseball is not needed. It’s a marathon not a sprint.

No because every game still counts literally the same.

Regardless when it takes place or who it was against.

But there is nothing thats odd or fluky about winning close games now. Because those things do often even out and because the opponents are much more likely to be drop close games.

giphy.gif

My guess is still that Larnach is gone by Tuesday.

Dont really see how a Kepler or Gallo trade would happen. No selling team is taking either one of them. So it would have to be us as the sellers while we buy elsewhere.

And as far as Kepler goes with how long upper brass held onto him, dont think they cut now.

Larnch is my guess. I think Wallner is the one they perfer to keep so he only goes in a better deal if demanded.

Im at that point where I dont even care who you choose when guys come back, it just cant be the young bucks demoted.

AK and Julien already earned their spots. Time to make Wallner an every day guy against righties as well.

These guys got big league approaches(with some swing and miss). They tswing at good pitches and they hit the ball hard.

Things just "feel" different with these guys in the lineup.

The pitches being called on the inside of the plate to the twins lefties are just stupid. This fat ass is setting up on the catchers inside shoulder and is still calling pitches 3 or 4 inches off the plate on the inside.

Twins have 6 outs and 6 k’s and at least 2 of them have been terrible called third strikes.

Half of Juliens Ks are on strike 3 balls.

Both Julien and Ak getting fucked on pitches inside for strikes. How can an ump not see that? Theres nothing blocking you. And its impossible for a hitter to hit.

The pitches being called on the inside of the plate to the twins lefties are just stupid. This fat ass is setting up on the catchers inside shoulder and is still calling pitches 3 or 4 inches off the plate on the inside.

Twins have 6 outs and 6 k’s and at least 2 of them have been terrible called third strikes.

The one to AK was even worse than Julien. It happens to Julien 1-2 times a game.

Umps are never held accountable. Like you said its where hes directly set up too.

Kirby +5.5 Ks was -167. I decided last minute not to do it because of the value and thought "what if we tag him this time and he doesnt usually K a ton"

Well, we did tag him. And hes still got 8 Ks through 3.

Kirby vs teams not named the Twins 93 Ks in 112 2/3 innings.

Vs Twins 18 Ks in 10 innings.

Thats insane. Ill take the 5 spot today though.

Dont really see how a Kepler or Gallo trade would happen. No selling team is taking either one of them. So it would have to be us as the sellers while we buy elsewhere.

And as far as Kepler goes with how long upper brass held onto him, dont think they cut now.

Larnch is my guess. I think Wallner is the one they perfer to keep so he only goes in a better deal if demanded.
Still possible Kepler gets dealt to another team that's buying. If there's a team out there that has excess bullpen arms (that can help the Twins now) that could happen.

Still possible Kepler gets dealt to another team that's buying. If there's a team out there that has excess bullpen arms (that can help the Twins now) that could happen.

Its definitely possible if its a good offer. Would be tough to do right now with his bat rolling every since moving behind Julien and AK. As Max said, hes getting a lot to hit and hes taking advantage.

If Kepler would just stop refusing to play CF id say no way trade him. That would free up spots on corners for Royce and Wallner.

Well ump paid us back.

That was an egregious 3rd strike on Solano called a ball. HIts a sac fly thanks to it.

Larnach more than likely or Wallner would be my guess too. I would think they’d be able to get a solid reliever with at least one more year of team control.

Not sure I like pitch hitting for Julien in the 7th inning. If you wanna play farmer in the 9th for defense have at it, but no reason to take the bat out of Julien’s hands with potentially 3 innings to go.

Larnach more than likely or Wallner would be my guess too. I would think they’d be able to get a solid reliever with at least one more year of team control.

I think(and hope) Wallner only goes in a legit big time deal.

Larnch unfortuantely while he still has potential is kinda turning into the odd man out. Hes got good plate discipline. But he cant hit breaking pitches if his life depends on it. Hes not hitting homers at a good rate up here or even during his demotion to the minors.

Not sure I like pitch hitting for Julien in the 7th inning. If you wanna play farmer in the 9th for defense have at it, but no reason to take the bat out of Julien’s hands with potentially 3 innings to go.

Lefty.

Rocco doesnt believe in developing the youngerster in 6-2 games.

Whatever. If he does this shit in October though, he must be taken to the middle of the sea.

Whats frustrating is Kepler is still the one guy who always gets to hit lefties, hes the one whose been terrible vs them for a literal decade. LIke the sample size is massive, Max is a must play vs righties must sit vs lefties.

Also, why the fuck is Farmer coming in and trying to steal bases??

Rocco does way too many substitutions

Why in gods name did Rocco now bring in Moran to face the top of their lineup that is all righties except one?

This guy is so fucking stupid.

Moran just pitched yesterday. Got two outs and didnt walk a guy. HE AVERAGE 5 WALKS PER 9. You know law of averages with this guy is he wont have any control

Just fucking stupid. You have Pagan available.

Top Bottom