All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I agree to disagree and regardless it certainly wasn't an egregious error that early in the game.

Spot on about Wallner's gaffe. Should have been on 2nd. Might have scored on the Jeffers hit with 2 outs. That early the Sox might have even cut the throw off to get a sure out.
Bingo.

Make the catcher make the decision of sure out at 2nd, vs risking a good slide and having to make a tag.

I agree to disagree and regardless it certainly wasn't an egregious error that early in the game.

Spot on about Wallner's gaffe. Should have been on 2nd. Might have scored on the Jeffers hit with 2 outs. That early the Sox might have even cut the throw off to get a sure out.

Obviously we have to assume the AB goes the exact same but yeah Wallner scores easily on that Jeffers single.

Definitely a gaff on the youngsters part there

Cole Sands being in the bullpen and being unusable is terrible roster construction. This is especially true when Rocco is making more pitch hitting moves this year then ever before. You can’t afford to just have black holes on the roster and right now you have Cole Sands and Buxton, plus to me Castro. Now having Gallo, Kepler, Larnach, and Wallner all as left handed corner OF / DH types is not great.

I forgot about Lopez being what Lopez is right now too. The guy is clearly not right, especially when you try to use him in back to back innings. The twins are trying to teed lightly and then they force him to go two innings and it all goes to hell and then you need to bring in Cole Sands. Now instead of Lopez leaving on a high note, he leaves after hitting and walking the bases loaded. This is very strange usage for Lopez by Rocco.
I'm very surprised they haven't called up Keuchel yet. Sands and Lopez are both unusable in close games. Send one out and go 6 man rotation for a couple turns.

With Stewart obviously his numbers currently are elite but he clearly has increased velo and stuff since his early days. He has looked very good.

I will say though, he is definitely my last resort(of our good pen options) to bring in with men on base. Hes too wild to trust with 2 on or bases loaded. If god forbid he walks the first guy we are in trouble.

But I really like him as a high leverage guy. His stuff plays.

And since Duran and Jax are elite and Pagan has found himself, we are not needing Stewart to be a savoir just another piece.
I still trust Stewart more than Pagan, but I will never trust Pagan.

the good news if the twins make the playoffs is they probably wont be playing the yankees
I'm not sure about "probably". The Yankees are 2 games back of the 3rd WC spot and I'm sure will be buyers.

I'm very surprised they haven't called up Keuchel yet. Sands and Lopez are both unusable in close games. Send one out and go 6 man rotation for a couple turns.
I don't necessarily disagree but that would mean you pretty much have to leave starters in to 100 pitches no matter what. I would probably prefer Maeda and Keuchel piggyback. Maeda goes the first 5, Keuchel the next few.

I don't necessarily disagree but that would mean you pretty much have to leave starters in to 100 pitches no matter what. I would probably prefer Maeda and Keuchel piggyback. Maeda goes the first 5, Keuchel the next few.

Im guessing we got to a 6 soon.

I dont agree with limiting guys in their mid to late 20s who dont have terrible arm injury history. But Ober and Ryan are going to smash their inning records currently. Ober we already had him wait 11 days between starts moronically.

Maeda is like half corpse right now.

Gray as a vet really doesnt have a ton of track record of full seasons.

Im ok with giving a keuchel a shot with how well hes preventing runs. But if his minor league base runners turn into MLB situational hitting and runs. Id move him quick. But im ok with trying a 6 man for a turn or 2.

But as you said, at the very least use him as a piggy back I think. Like we got Cole Sands occupying roster real estate right now.

Ok so since I have basically come to terms with the fact we wont make a big bat splash. I do think if we are intelligent(this is a massive IF). This is a lineup that can compete in October.

SS-Correa
2B-Julien
1B-AK
3B-Polanco
LF- Lewis
DH- Buck
RF/CF- Kepler
RF/CF-Gallo/Wallner
C- Jeffers

That team can play. It will require Max getting his goddam undeserved ego in check and playing fucking centerfield at times but it can play.

Farmer/Solano/Castro/Taylor. Is a great bench. Since that starting lineup is risking it a bit defensively. We got versatile D replacements. 2 base stealers. And 4 guys who can do Roccos ineveitable platoons against lefties

But we all know we will end up starting Vazquez in big games. Somehow weasle in Solano and Farmer while someone like Royce sits. Use Castro as a starter when hes like the most valuable bench weapon in baseball.

Its the Twins way. But on paper theres competitive October lineup with our pitching.

Oh yeah the twins have until 4:00pm central time tomorrow to sign Walker Jenkins. That would be such a Minnesota thing to move up I think 8 spots in the draft, take the #5 player in a 5 player draft and then be unable to sign him. I know they will get a comp pick next year, but it won’t be as good as this kid was supposed to be. Maybe Boras is still mad about all the money Correa lost last off season?

Oh yeah the twins have until 4:00pm central time tomorrow to sign Walker Jenkins. That would be such a Minnesota thing to move up I think 8 spots in the draft, take the #5 player in a 5 player draft and then be unable to sign him. I know they will get a comp pick next year, but it won’t be as good as this kid was supposed to be. Maybe Boras is still mad about all the money Correa lost last off season?
I'm not sure what's taking so long. There really isn't much the Twins can do other than offer what they have left. Which would still be a bit over slot value.

According to MLB.com, Jenkins's slot value as the No. 5 pick calls for a signing bonus of $7,139,700.

The Twins started the draft process with a bonus pool of $14,345,600 to give to draft picks taken in the first ten rounds. So far, per MLB.com, they have spent $7,041,400, which leaves them $7,304,200 to give to Jenkins as he's the only draftee from the first ten rounds yet to sign with Minnesota.

As you said hes got the same agent as Correa. Hes gonna sign.

I'm not sure what's taking so long. There really isn't much the Twins can do other than offer what they have left. Which would still be a bit over slot value.

They can offer over their bonus pool, but they pay a tax on the overage. I think it’s a 75% tax on overages and then it can lead to draft pick forfeitures and other stuff. I think there is a repeater tax too if you go over your bonus for consecutive years.

I mean baseball drafts are a crap-shoot, but you would rather have Jenkins then someone next year.

Larnch in LF today.

Good lineup except for the usual rotation at catcher once again. Its really just stupid.

Hope the pink eye boys can both see tonight though.

They can offer over their bonus pool, but they pay a tax on the overage. I think it’s a 75% tax on overages and then it can lead to draft pick forfeitures and other stuff. I think there is a repeater tax too if you go over your bonus for consecutive years.

I mean baseball drafts are a crap-shoot, but you would rather have Jenkins then someone next year.
Is it common for teams to go over the bonus pool? I didn't think it was, but might come into play here?

Edit: more info here. 5% isn't too bad I guess. That would be about an extra $700K for the Twins.
Teams are allowed to exceed their bonus pool by no more than 5% without facing punishment of docked draft picks in future years. They simply have to pay a 75% tax on any overage of 0-5%

If Kuechel is willing to do that. Not sure he is.

I was on the road trying to listen to the game on local radio stations. gave up when the Twins were down 3-0. Didn't find out they won until I got home. But I did enjoy listening to the Steve Miller Band and Grand Funk Railroad.
I had punched out as well in the 7th inning, not because of discouragement though or out of range from the TI Twins Broadcast Network. I watched the first 4 innings on TV but then headed to the golf course for a late afternoon tee time and listened until the Stretch before the round.

Was shocked to get well into the round to find out it was still going. Got the Final Score update on the 8th tee box. Pleasant surprise.

Thielbar starting a rehab tomorrow thats good.

The murky thing is still no word on Stewear. Before the ASB he was rumored to be close to returning post ASB. We are now on game 11 post break and not even a murmur of return.

Well, our great approaches to work counts against elite pitchers lately is GONE.

Correa go a 2-0 cookie and lined out, cant blame him. Julien was down 0-2 and got a meatball and lined out to RF. Cant blame him.

But we follow up a 8 pitch first inning with a 6 pitch second inning.

Kepler absolutely under no circumstance can be first pitch swiinging and hitting a lazy pop up after their ace just had a quick inning. Veterans have to be smarter. He also half assed Murphys hit and gave him a double when he should have easily been thrown out at 2.

Wake up

Yikes Julien makes the 3rd out at 3rd base on dumb base running. And now might have hurt his shoulder in the process

Julien having quite an evening on the basepaths. Picked off 1st to end the 4th. Gunned down going from 1st to 3rd on a single to right to end the 6th.

Cardinal sin to end an inning trying to get to 3B.

Hell of a start by Maeda again.

Tonight had to do with a taxed pen. But in future we gotta stop pushing him more than like 6 innings tho.

Like I said, not sure Rocco had much of a choice tonight. And its on Kenta walking their scrubs. Now we got Moran coming in with 2 on, thats scary.

Hell of a start by Maeda again.

Tonight had to do with a taxed pen. But in future we gotta stop pushing him more than like 6 innings tho.

Like I said, not sure Rocco had much of a choice tonight. And its on Kenta walking their scrubs. Now we got Moran coming in with 2 on, thats scary.

He threw strikes!! Lets go!

Interested how we get through the last two innings. Jax had lower work loads so I think he should be available. Duran probably not. Pagan maybe not as well.

He threw strikes!! Lets go!

Interested how we get through the last two innings. Jax had lower work loads so I think he should be available. Duran probably not. Pagan maybe not as well.

Balazovic takes care of the 8th!!

I saw Jax stretching so still my assumption that hes good to go.

Top Bottom