All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Remaining strength of schedule. Given the horrid AL Central the below isn't surprising. Cleveland does have 10 games left against KC, but a tougher go of it overall than the other Central teams

14. Cleveland
26. KC
28. Detroit
29. Minnesota
30. Chicago

Over one fourth of Cleveland's remaining schedule is against Atlanta, TB, Texas, Houston, and LA Dodgers
Our toughest series are TB, Texas, Steerville, Arizona, Baltimore

Last edited:

Radio guys talking about how 18% of our wins are against the Royals. Highest percent of wins against one team in the majors this season.
Should've waited one more year to implement the new schedule. Kind of mind boggling how we can be 7-1 against KC and still only have a .500 record overall.

Last edited:

granted, it's a small sample size - but the Twins hitters do seem to be cutting down on the strikeouts and putting more balls in play. 6 K's today (3 by Taylor); 7 the previous game; and 6 the game before that.

that will be something to watch.

granted, it's a small sample size - but the Twins hitters do seem to be cutting down on the strikeouts and putting more balls in play. 6 K's today (3 by Taylor); 7 the previous game; and 6 the game before that.

that will be something to watch.
Not many K's today, but damn, Greinke is still being run out there.

We get some complaints on here about why we keep running certain guys out there. I'd have to imagine royals fans are beside themselves with Greinke. Why run him out there at 1-9. Go with some youngster. Maybe they have literally nothing in the minors.

Not many K's today, but damn, Greinke is still being run out there.

We get some complaints on here about why we keep running certain guys out there. I'd have to imagine royals fans are beside themselves with Greinke. Why run him out there at 1-9. Go with some youngster. Maybe they have literally nothing in the minors.
Greinke was just what the doctor ordered for Kepler.

Nelson Cruz at DH and in the locker room for the rest of the season, anyone?

Maeda being more like prime Maeda since his return is nice. I know two of the starts were Tigers and Royals. But its still great to see.

Now can we stop for the love of god doing weird platoons so the offense can stay consistent? Stop hitting Farmer who clearly is just not good clean up against lefties. That is not how you construct winning lineups. And while Kepler shoulda been DFA'd months ago. When he is playing hes still a objectively superior bat to Vazquez. Stop batting Vazquez 7th and guys like Kepler and Ak 9th against lefties. Again, its a blatan lack of knowing baseball.

Let's say we are at .500 and still in first by one game at the trade deadline. An argument can be made that we still are not serious contenders so should we be sellers? The thought seems to be that Gray will be gone next season so could we get Steer or CES back from the Reds for example or something like that? If Maeda keeps pitching well could get something meaningful for him? Gallo? Kepler?

The 1987 argument can also be made that we should be buyers because anything can happen in baseball. Of course much more difficult to make it to the fall classic now as have to win 3 series. Maybe worth it to be buyers just on the chance of winning a series or two?

The Twins now have the 6th best run differential in the MLB, 4th best in the AL.

Let's say we are at .500 and still in first by one game at the trade deadline. An argument can be made that we still are not serious contenders so should we be sellers? The thought seems to be that Gray will be gone next season so could we get Steer or CES back from the Reds for example or something like that? If Maeda keeps pitching well could get something meaningful for him? Gallo? Kepler?

The 1987 argument can also be made that we should be buyers because anything can happen in baseball. Of course much more difficult to make it to the fall classic now as have to win 3 series. Maybe worth it to be buyers just on the chance of winning a series or two?
If I'm in charge i'm trading Gray. How many starts does he get the rest of the season? 11 or 12 IF he's healthy the whole time? Then probably just one in the playoffs before we lose the 3 game series we will play if we make it.

I'd roll the dice and trade him for some guys that will be every day players for 5 years and bank on being good enough to sneak into the playoffs to lose that series anyways without him.

If I'm in charge i'm trading Gray. How many starts does he get the rest of the season? 11 or 12 IF he's healthy the whole time? Then probably just one in the playoffs before we lose the 3 game series we will play if we make it.

I'd roll the dice and trade him for some guys that will be every day players for 5 years and bank on being good enough to sneak into the playoffs to lose that series anyways without him.

Yeah that's a good point. We could trade him and still sneak into the playoffs given the state of this division

Agree with u that I'd definitely consider it if we could get a haul. I also think a lot of fans/media would be really up in arms if Gray was traded while we were in first. Don't think Falvey or most GMs have that kind of nerve.

Unless the Twins go on a massive losing streak between now and the deadline, there is zero chance they will be sellers. If they add a good bat and another reliever, I think they will do some damage in the playoffs with their pitching.

r33r
The Twins now have the 6th best run differential in the MLB, 4th best in the AL.
How is that even possible? Lose close games, win a lot by a lot, I guess.

I didn't do a per game average, but the Twins have the lowest Runs against in MLB, 5 better than Rays

Unless the Twins go on a massive losing streak between now and the deadline, there is zero chance they will be sellers. If they add a good bat and another reliever, I think they will do some damage in the playoffs with their pitching.

That is the formula that the 2006 Cardinals used to win the World Series with a 82-80 record

r33r

How is that even possible? Lose close games, win a lot by a lot, I guess.

I didn't do a per game average, but the Twins have the lowest Runs against in MLB, 5 better than Rays
The reverse of how the Vikings went 13-3 while having a positive point differential of like 10 points.

Selling while in first place is a giant FU to the fan base and every other player on the team. They're not going to do that. Also, the qualifying offer is still around. So they will get a draft pick if they keep Gray, make him a QO and he signs elsewhere, which is likely. And if he accepts the QO, you get him on a one-year deal for ~$20 million. Win/Win. Plus for every Joe Ryan trade they have 3-4 busts.

I'll take 2 months of Gray, a play-off appearance and a draft pick over the "haul" that may turn out to be nothing along with an angry clubhouse and fan base.

There is no chance we are sellers unless July goes horribly south which is unlikely given the fact of our schedule combined with reduced games in total with the all star break.

Also, I think some are vastly overvauling what someone like Gray would net. Someone would have to be very desperate to overpay much for a couple months of Gray.

Nelson Cruz at DH and in the locker room for the rest of the season, anyone?
No. He’s done and washed up. Buxton is the DH and they still have Wallner and Garlick on the 40 man who are better options then signing Cruz. The twins have shown that they have no real room to add anyone to the roster, unless someone gets hurt. These 14 guys are the ones that will be asked to carry the load and start scoring some runs.

No. He’s done and washed up. Buxton is the DH and they still have Wallner and Garlick on the 40 man who are better options then signing Cruz. The twins have shown that they have no real room to add anyone to the roster, unless someone gets hurt. These 14 guys are the ones that will be asked to carry the load and start scoring some runs.

We are not bringing on Cruz, but this is false on both levels.

Garlick is not on the 40 man and thats because hes rancid. Cruz would be a better option if the sole consideration was the two of them.

Selling while in first place is a giant FU to the fan base and every other player on the team. They're not going to do that. Also, the qualifying offer is still around. So they will get a draft pick if they keep Gray, make him a QO and he signs elsewhere, which is likely. And if he accepts the QO, you get him on a one-year deal for ~$20 million. Win/Win. Plus for every Joe Ryan trade they have 3-4 busts.

I'll take 2 months of Gray, a play-off appearance and a draft pick over the "haul" that may turn out to be nothing along with an angry clubhouse and fan base.
Totally understand all that but Buxton is never playing the outfield again and is always hurt...Lewis appears to be an always hurt guy...Larnach, lot of injuries...Miranda, looks to be regressing heavily...Julien is awful in the field and with Lee coming up and Buxton as a full time DH I wonder where he can even play

Gray isn't resigning and will be one of the top 3 trade targets out there if we decide to go that route. A supplemental pick has a way lower % of turning out than another team's top 2 or 3 prospect.

I don't know enough about Emmanuel Rodriguez but can the guy play CF? If not trade Gray to a team like Baltimore who is loaded at OF prospects. Or, we will need a C soon...trade him to the Dodgers for Diego Cartaya.

Garlick is not on the 40 man and thats because hes rancid. Cruz would be a better option if the sole consideration was the two of them.
How about Cruz as hitting coach?

Totally understand all that but Buxton is never playing the outfield again and is always hurt...Lewis appears to be an always hurt guy...Larnach, lot of injuries...Miranda, looks to be regressing heavily...Julien is awful in the field and with Lee coming up and Buxton as a full time DH I wonder where he can even play

Gray isn't resigning and will be one of the top 3 trade targets out there if we decide to go that route. A supplemental pick has a way lower % of turning out than another team's top 2 or 3 prospect.

I don't know enough about Emmanuel Rodriguez but can the guy play CF? If not trade Gray to a team like Baltimore who is loaded at OF prospects. Or, we will need a C soon...trade him to the Dodgers for Diego Cartaya.
Buxton is likely as healthy as he's going to get. Correa isn't getting any younger. Lewis should be back by late August. Their pitching is as good as it's been in decades. The division stinks and a play-off spot is there for the taking. So...let's sell?

If they're not in a window now, when will they ever be? There's value in getting to the play-offs and at least ending the most embarrassing streak in sports. If Buxton/Correa/Lewis/AK are clicking maybe they can do more than that.

That’a right they DFA’d him. Still have Wallner and Larnach that are better options then Cruz. Anyway it’s not gonna happen as long as Buxton occupies that spot.

Buxton is likely as healthy as he's going to get. Correa isn't getting any younger. Lewis should be back by late August. Their pitching is as good as it's been in decades. The division stinks and a play-off spot is there for the taking. So...let's sell?

If they're not in a window now, when will they ever be? There's value in getting to the play-offs and at least ending the most embarrassing streak in sports. If Buxton/Correa/Lewis/AK are clicking maybe they can do more than that.
And that is part of my point I guess...the division could be winnable without Gray. We aren't winning the World Series with or without him but I think we can get there without him. So why not have your cake and eat it too?

Top Bottom