All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Yep, that is the hope for central teams. Twins shocked the world in 87 as well.
Two additional playoff series now make such a run more unlikely unfortunately.
Correct. The Mets only had to win one 5 game series against Cincinnati to make the WS. They even had home field advantage even though the Reds won 99 games.

Well thankfully Carlos Diarreah has 2 hits, so Buxton, Kepler, and the gang are off the hook for getting a hit tonight.

Excluding Royce of course.

Nobody can hit with calls like this. Up and down and I can understand but this is inexcusable.
IMG_2676.jpeg

My gosh…hits and hits and more hits. This team looks like a giant weight was lifted off their shoulders.

Correct. The Mets only had to win one 5 game series against Cincinnati to make the WS. They even had home field advantage even though the Reds won 99 games.

That's right. They rotated home field back then.
Not saying I dislike the current format, but the shorter postseason back in the day made those series more memorable.

This is what you have to do against a trash can pitcher

Great to see.

Very favorable pitching matchup for us Sunday. If we could find a way to get a win tomorrow . . .

Spencer Steer with a 2 run walk-off bomb today.

They looked like a real major league team tonight against a pretty good team. See what the next 2 days bring

Just a thought I’ve been playing with for a few days -

Is it possible that the Twins are playing Kepler this much to showcase he’s healthy, so they can maximize his trade value & move him, then replace him with Wallner?

As a team’s fourth OF, he’s not a horrible option IMO.

Last edited:

Cleveland's playing an afternoon game and getting walloped. I love our division.

I wonder what is the worst record for a division winner.
I was actually at Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs do the Twins a solid. Routing the Guards 10-1 vaulted them back to 1st Place yesterday afternoon.

Amazing how alive the neighborhood is for a Friday matinee, on a hazy day

Interesting, wind was gusting in to start, but shifted out about midway. Whatever it was really improved the air quality. The day before, was even worse than when I left the Twin Cities.

Nice win for the Twins - but it's only one game. the key is whether the new approach at the plate is sustainable. So hopefully players can keep taking good at-bats today.

at least the doom-Tweeters were a little quieter for one night, at least.

and they could be even quieter today - assuming Twitter still exists by the time I write this..........

Ober was masterful today against Baltimore and Kepler redeems himself for one day with a terrific game-saving catch in the 9th. But of course it’s not all good because Lewis goes out with an oblique injury.

Beat writers are saying Miranda was pulled from the Saints' lineup and will replace Lewis on the Twins' roster. Lewis to the IL with the oblique.

Is it possible that the Twins are playing Kepler this much to showcase he’s healthy, so they can maximize his trade value & move him, then replace him with Wallner?

I’ve thought this for a while now, as well. Hopefully we’re right and it works, for everyone’s sake. I have always liked Kepler and hope he succeeds. His run with the Twins should just be about done.

Wonder when Ober gets enuf innings to qualify for ERA ranking. He would be 7th right now if had enough innings. Gray is 3rd and Ryan 13th.

Was nice to look at the standings just now and see us back on top.

Wonder when Ober gets enuf innings to qualify for ERA ranking. He would be 7th right now if had enough innings. Gray is 3rd and Ryan 13th.

Was nice to look at the standings just now and see us back on top.
To qualify for the season long ERA crown it's 162 innings pitched, so leaders are tracked by 1 inning per games their team has played.

Twins are at 84 games (42-42), Ober is at 76.2 IP, so 7.1 short.

Two good games doesn't give him any trade value. He's owed ~$6 million with the buyout. You're not getting anything of value unless you eat that. If you can get someone to take him, I'd still take it. We've seen his bounce-backs fizzle before. I'd still rather use Wallner/Larnach.

Beat writers are saying Miranda was pulled from the Saints' lineup and will replace Lewis on the Twins' roster. Lewis to the IL with the oblique.
With the All-Star break, it's almost a given to IL him. Hopefully he can come back shortly after the break.

Two good games doesn't give him any trade value.
The point of the post is to look at their possible rationale vs. frothing at the mouth.

He can still be included with other players in a package deal - I never stipulated him being traded as a stand alone deal only, did I?

The point of him regularly starting would be to show he’s healthy; I never stated anything about his numbers improving, did I?

I stand by my premise that as a 4th OF he isn’t a horrible option. He is still a plus defender and has occasional pop in his bat and can reasonably play all three OF spots if necessary.
He's owed ~$6 million with the buyout. You're not getting anything of value unless you eat that.
Or part of it?
If you can get someone to take him, I'd still take it. We've seen his bounce-backs fizzle before. I'd still rather use Wallner/Larnach.
My premise stated that Wallner would replace him.

Bro, your level of vitriol is getting to a Mt. St. Helenesque level; maybe try relaxing and realizing this is an anonymous chat board meant for entertainment; there are no gold ⭐️ for being right.

The point of the post is to look at their possible rationale vs. frothing at the mouth.

He can still be included with other players in a package deal - I never stipulated him being traded as a stand alone deal only, did I?

The point of him regularly starting would be to show he’s healthy; I never stated anything about his numbers improving, did I?

I stand by my premise that as a 4th OF he isn’t a horrible option. He is still a plus defender and has occasional pop in his bat and can reasonably play all three OF spots if necessary.

Or part of it?

My premise stated that Wallner would replace him.

Bro, your level of vitriol is getting to a Mt. St. Helenesque level; maybe try relaxing and realizing this is an anonymous chat board meant for entertainment; there are no gold ⭐️ for being right.
What vitriol? They're incredibly slow to make change or admit mistakes. That's not really in dispute is it?

They've been trying to trade Kepler since the winter. There's obviously not much market. They haven't been playing him any more regularly lately than before, so your comment about "showcasing" him doesn't make much sense. There's not really any logical reason Wallner is in St Paul.

What vitriol?
Your aggrieved tone and tenor, about all sports issues, are grating to me and that’s my issue- so I’ll simply ignore you, moving forward.
They're incredibly slow to make change or admit mistakes. That's not really in dispute is it?
I never said they weren’t.

Funny how I directly answered your questions, but you don’t reciprocate 😉
They've been trying to trade Kepler since the winter. There's obviously not much market.
Gleeman of The Athletic thinks there is a market, as a 4th OFer and that it may simply be a case of the Twins overvaluing him; to think that no other team could use his services, is an 🥜🌰 IMO.
They haven't been playing him any more regularly lately than before, so your comment about "showcasing" him doesn't make much sense.
Showcasing that he’s healthy (cause of his the injuries this year). It was offered as a possible reason, not a fact.

You do realize that more than one thing can be correct? The world is very rarely black or white.
There's not really any logical reason Wallner is in St Paul.

Again, it was simply a thought offered.

BTW - Mad Max us hitting .275 over his last 15 games (40 ABs) with a .901 OPS - he’ll outlast you 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
That’s some elite showcasing!!

Remember today Twins @ Orioles game is on Peacock olny. No tv today.

Twins appear to be back to their regularly scheduled program with not offense since the 4th inning of the game Friday.

Does the front office look at St. Paul and see all the runs they are scoring vs the lack of runs the twins are scoring?

Gray with 87 pitches through 6 should hav even given the 7th. There is no reason you have to constantly ask Duran to go two innings for the save. Let Gray go 7, Jax gets the 8th and Duran on mmm gets the 9th. You could even flip flop Duran and Jax depending on the batters up in each inning. When your bullpen has been a question mark and you are down Stewart there is no reason to put more pressure on them.

Of course Duran absolutely shit the bed so the move didn’t work.

This team is fucking incapable of putting together wins in bunches.

Why? because its flawed, from the dipshit manager to the players.

We still cant hit. Friday was a fluke. Thank god for pitching to get us a split.

But we still split because even our all world reliever blows games at random times when we need wins.

Rocco is not cut out for this job. Why the fuck did he pull Sonny?? Who in the fuck was his plan to pitch the 9th if Duran did survive the 8th? Im assuming 2 innings from Duran was plan A but thats assuming he gets out of the 8th with a good pitch count. Stewart is hurt.

Was this stupid sack of shit going to use Pagan?!?!?! Baldumbass cannot lead this team. Its fucking blatant.

Top Bottom