All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Look - I am Not saying that the Twins are having a good season.

But the reaction from fans/bloggers/tweeters/podcasters/radio hosts this season makes it seem as if the Twins were the worst team in baseball history.

(FWIW - 1899 Cleveland Spiders 20-134 (.130).
(if we go to the 'modern' era: 1916 Philadelphia A's 36-117 (.235); 1935 Boston Braves 38-115 (.248); 1962 New York Mets 40-120 (.250))

All I am asking for/suggesting is a little perspective.

and that goes for the people who - after every game - want to fire/release/replace half the roster, fire the manager and all the coaches, and replace the front office. my question to that is 'then what?' somebody has to play, manage, coach and run the front office. are these replacements going to magically appear?
Well, casually paying attention...for me, Miranda should be back up by now. He gets hits at meaningful times and drives in runs. He has a future.
Wallner was hitting but we couldn't be bothered.
I have seen too much of Kepler....he should have been on another team long ago.

Correa not hitting is gonna be a pretty big factor but he is a great shortstop. Buxton not healthy, not consistent is no help. Polanco gets big hits but he's unavailable. Those things are making things look worse than they are.

We started the season with a crappy bullpen and it is not likely to change...that wears everybody down.
Patience and get Miranda and Wallner in the lineup.

Close, but it was The King 👑 and his Court.

Saw him a couple of times in The Birthplace of America and he was unreal, pitched one game with a Winston dangling from his lips.

Fast pitch softball was an amazing game and would have loved to have played it - was the batboy for my dad’s team sometimes.

Long doc, but worth it as he was truly one of a kind

Don't get me wrong. I know it was the King and his Court. Samurai was reference to Ohtani.

I've heard a lot about the real thing, and wish I was older and able to see that group. What an amazing thing to witness. My older uncles played fast pitch and it looked like fun. Too bad its not played much anymore if at all. He was a stud.

Funny story. I was in high school playing baseball. There was a girls softball camp that I actually went to just get better at fielding. I played catch with a pitcher. She was very nice to me when she pitched as she threw it outside of my body because I completely missed catching it about 10 straight times and would have hit me in the nuts 10 straight times. She was a phenom.

No one is asking for half the roster. The hitting coach would have already been fired by most organizations by now. And Kepler would have been DFA'd long ago. Wallner, Larnach and Miranda should be in Minneapolis, not St. Paul. Those are obvious.

I also think giving Toby or at least Tingler the rest of the season to see if they can spark something is better than riding with Rocco. His message clearly isn't working.

If they miss the play-offs in this terrible division, there should be an entire house cleaning in October. Seven years is more than a fair chance to show what you can and cannot do.
I can't disagree with any of this for the most part. But, I can't wrap my head around this being a Rocco issue. He played and knows baseball. I just have this feeling he is hamstrung by a front office that demands things solely off the numbers. Now, does he have a big enough backbone to say 'enough'? I don't know. I just think he's being micromanaged and not allowed to do his job. All an opinion, but I don't see baseball lifers being so clueless.

I'd also add that there is definitely value in following the numbers, but this organization shows no feel for the moment or game. It's strictly by the long term numbers. No looking at a struggling player and thinking this matchup doesn't help, regardless of which side of the plate he's hitting. Constant line up changes, pinch hitters, and such aren't allowing for any flow for these guys. Rocco is making the changes, but it feels like he's being played on strings by a front office that is completely averse to change. He may end up being a fall guy but they certainly won't go get a guy who wants to do things his way.

I'd also add that there is definitely value in following the numbers, but this organization shows no feel for the moment or game. It's strictly by the long term numbers. No looking at a struggling player and thinking this matchup doesn't help, regardless of which side of the plate he's hitting. Constant line up changes, pinch hitters, and such aren't allowing for any flow for these guys. Rocco is making the changes, but it feels like he's being played on strings by a front office that is completely averse to change. He may end up being a fall guy but they certainly won't go get a guy who wants to do things his way.
What they're doing might work for some teams but it isn't for this one.

It's just an offense in football where you have to change based on your team.

Don't get me wrong. I know it was the King and his Court. Samurai was reference to Ohtani.

I've heard a lot about the real thing, and wish I was older and able to see that group. What an amazing thing to witness. My older uncles played fast pitch and it looked like fun. Too bad its not played much anymore if at all. He was a stud.

Funny story. I was in high school playing baseball. There was a girls softball camp that I actually went to just get better at fielding. I played catch with a pitcher. She was very nice to me when she pitched as she threw it outside of my body because I completely missed catching it about 10 straight times and would have hit me in the nuts 10 straight times. She was a phenom.
I’m officially uncool - my bad!

His story would’ve a great doc, by a professional filmmaker - so crazy and interesting.

Wallner not being on this team is no exaggeration one of the more egregrious front office decisions in sports of the last 20 years.

There is quite literally not one reason that he should not be on this team.

Hes not young, hes not inexperienced, hes mashing baseballs, hes not being blocked by young talent, hes not being blocked by talent in general

Its gross.

I’m officially uncool - my bad!

His story would’ve a great doc, by a professional filmmaker - so crazy and interesting.
For some reason I think I remember something out there about him. I'll have to do some searching. I think he might have made it onto that old "Wide World of Sports" or whtever it was, where they lead off with the ski jumper crashing. I was young then so my memory has faded a lot since then.

And you are officially not uncool.

Gonna give Correa a crack at the leadoff spot tonight. Maybe that's the answer (doubt it). Gallo has been demoted all the way down to 9th. 11 million for a career sub .200 hitter is working out swell.

Cleveland's playing an afternoon game and getting walloped. I love our division.

I wonder what is the worst record for a division winner.

Cleveland's playing an afternoon game and getting walloped. I love our division.

I wonder what is the worst record for a division winner.
#1: 2005 San Diego Padres won the NL West at 82-80.

#2: The 2006 St. Louis Cardinals won the NL Central and 83-79 and then won the World Series.

1987 Twins tied for #5 at 85-77.

#2: The 2006 St. Louis Cardinals won the NL Central and 83-79 and then won the World Series.

Padres have to be nervous.

Orioles are a good team but their starting pitching is pretty trash.

If our offense sucks again this weekend, there is no way we can continue with the current roster/coaching staff.

I'm curious what the worst winning percentage for a division is. Right now the AL Central has a .425 winning percentage which is equivalent to a 69-93 record. I'm fairly confident that is on pace to be the worst by a lot.

The 2005 NL West was at .459 so that's probably it.

Last edited:

I'm curious what the worst winning percentage for a division is. Right now the AL Central has a .425 winning percentage which is equivalent to a 69-93 record. I'm fairly confident that is on pace to be the worst by a lot.

The 2005 NL West was at .459 so that's probably it.

2023 Central trails the 2005 NL West by a lot so would be pretty sad if that division is the all time worst.

Another question I was thinking about today. Is our outfield the worst in all baseball this season?

Another question. Would any of our nonpitchers be ranked in even the top half of the league at their respective position?

Last edited:

1st pitch is now scheduled for 7:30pm CDT.

WX forecast looks a little more promising for Saturday, but Sunday is calling for rain most of the day - and this is the Twins' only trip to Baltimore.

1st pitch is now scheduled for 7:30pm CDT.

WX forecast looks a little more promising for Saturday, but Sunday is calling for rain most of the day - and this is the Twins' only trip to Baltimore.
Sunday is one of those stupid streaming only games at 11am on Peacock. Can't imagine the powers that be are too keen on a possible delay/postponement there.

You cant just allow umps to make calls like this and not be truly punished. Suspensions. Loss of pay.

1973 NY Mets were 82-79 and lost Game 7 of the World Series.

1973 NY Mets were 82-79 and lost Game 7 of the World Series.

Yep, that is the hope for central teams. Twins shocked the world in 87 as well.
Two additional playoff series now make such a run even more unlikely unfortunately.

Last edited:

Top Bottom