All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I didn't go through every team but looked at the top 5 teams in overall OPS compared to the Twins.

OPS with 2 strikes:
Twins .453

Chicago .464
Milwaukee .456
KC .493
Detroit .479
Oakland .466

Frickin Oakland, Detroit and KC have a better OPS with 2 strikes than the Twins.

Fire Popkins and Rocco. DFA Kepler and Gallo. Get Wallner and Miranda up. See what Toby and the Saints hitting coach can do. It can't be any worse.

Mic drop.

And certainly it is baseball and anything is possible. Just not much evidence to support the idea we can go on a run. Best hope is we can stabilize around .500 and take advantage of a putrid division. We'll see.

We have 10 or so games left against kc and Oakland, would be really nice if we could take advantage of those.

Good news, the Twins actually have a DOZEN games left with the A's and Royals! 3 game Home/Road series with both.

Uh. They've outlawed the shift. That's going to immensely help Kepler and Gallo. Just you wait and see.
Turns out when you strike out, it doesn't matter where the fielders stand. Time to update the spreadsheet formula, Derek. Hopefully from the unemployment line.

Turns out when you strike out, it doesn't matter where the fielders stand. Time to update the spreadsheet formula, Derek. Hopefully from the unemployment line.
For Kepler ironically, he is hitting fly balls at a much higher percentage than he has ever before. So he's not really able to take advantage of the no shift rule.

Correa and his .212 BA leads the team among qualified hitters. Wonder if twins are threatening an all time dubious record with this.

Last edited:

It’s funny what drives a player only meeting. losing 3 of 4 to a terrible Detroit team at home was not a cause for concern. All of a sudden getting swept by the best team in baseball on the road is a giant cause for concern from the players?

Now I’m not saying it’s good, but a sweep was almost a guaranty in these 3 games. They do need to pull their collective heads out of their asses at the plate, but so far there are no signs that this will happen.

Onto Baltimore with the same collection of underperforming key players, so hard to say that things will really change.

I didn't catch the date but Shohei Ohtani is doing an exhibition against the Twins where he pitches and has only a catcher and one outfielder, one infielder.
FanDuel or somebody is sponsoring it with the winner getting $1 million.
Reminiscent of Eddie Feigner in softball.
Might fall through though because nobody seems interested in betting... thinking is the Twins would not offer any resistance.

Here is what I dont get......this is a todays game problem. Seems like Rocco today post game went full bus toss the players

All year long we have had this god awful approach at the plate. Flailing at junk and watching meatballs. Whether its Roccos philosphy or guys above him. This didnt arrive out of nowhere.

So not sure why hes made now. Hes the clown who has not helped to fix it for months.

I didn't catch the date but Shohei Ohtani is doing an exhibition against the Twins where he pitches and has only a catcher and one outfielder, one infielder.
Might fall through though because nobody seems interested in betting... thinking is the Twins would not offer any resistance.
The Samurai and his Court.

I would pay to watch that. My dad played against Eddie Feigner and his court back in the late 70’s in either Marshall or Worthington. He struck out with Eddie pitching from 2nd base.
I remember my uncles talking about him (back when fast pitch softball was huge in Minnesota. About the same time period) and how absolutely amazing he was. I also would pay A LOT of money to watch him.

Great story about your dad. Thank you. I'd try to hit, just to be amazed at seeing it live and laugh my ass off at how useless my at bat would be.

I may just have a drunken youtube night now.

Embarrassing. Come on Joe. Fire Falvey and Rocco. Show you give a damn.

Still seems like an unfair match. Maybe do some things to even things up. Like Feigner, Ohtani also for sure has to pitch from second base, but that may not be enough. What else. Let's see. Hmmm...
Got it! Twins as well get to start each inning with the bases loaded! 🙂 Oh wait . . .😟

Last edited:

Good news, the Twins actually have a DOZEN games left with the A's and Royals! 3 game Home/Road series with both.
Unfortunately that does not equate to 12 wins with this team, wish it did.

The Samurai and his Court.
Close, but it was The King 👑 and his Court.

Saw him a couple of times in The Birthplace of America and he was unreal, pitched one game with a Winston dangling from his lips.

Fast pitch softball was an amazing game and would have loved to have played it - was the batboy for my dad’s team sometimes.

Long doc, but worth it as he was truly one of a kind

Last edited:

Look - I am Not saying that the Twins are having a good season.

But the reaction from fans/bloggers/tweeters/podcasters/radio hosts this season makes it seem as if the Twins were the worst team in baseball history.

(FWIW - 1899 Cleveland Spiders 20-134 (.130).
(if we go to the 'modern' era: 1916 Philadelphia A's 36-117 (.235); 1935 Boston Braves 38-115 (.248); 1962 New York Mets 40-120 (.250))

All I am asking for/suggesting is a little perspective.

and that goes for the people who - after every game - want to fire/release/replace half the roster, fire the manager and all the coaches, and replace the front office. my question to that is 'then what?' somebody has to play, manage, coach and run the front office. are these replacements going to magically appear?

Look - I am Not saying that the Twins are having a good season.

But the reaction from fans/bloggers/tweeters/podcasters/radio hosts this season makes it seem as if the Twins were the worst team in baseball history.

(FWIW - 1899 Cleveland Spiders 20-134 (.130).
(if we go to the 'modern' era: 1916 Philadelphia A's 36-117 (.235); 1935 Boston Braves 38-115 (.248); 1962 New York Mets 40-120 (.250))

All I am asking for/suggesting is a little perspective.

and that goes for the people who - after every game - want to fire/release/replace half the roster, fire the manager and all the coaches, and replace the front office. my question to that is 'then what?' somebody has to play, manage, coach and run the front office. are these replacements going to magically appear?
No one is asking for half the roster. The hitting coach would have already been fired by most organizations by now. And Kepler would have been DFA'd long ago. Wallner, Larnach and Miranda should be in Minneapolis, not St. Paul. Those are obvious.

I also think giving Toby or at least Tingler the rest of the season to see if they can spark something is better than riding with Rocco. His message clearly isn't working.

If they miss the play-offs in this terrible division, there should be an entire house cleaning in October. Seven years is more than a fair chance to show what you can and cannot do.

Top Bottom