All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Cant actually has an apostrophe…. As in you can’t be calling someone stupid when you don’t know how to spell can’t. It’s actually a pretty easy word.
Is "can't" really a word or is it technically two? Are contractions also considered words?

They are not allowed in Scrabble.

Dude seriously, are you handicapped??

What you bolded was not me saying you said anything. It was me making a statement that Buxton DH'ing all the time does not maximize. You cant actually be this stupid.
Name calling, always a clear sign that someone engaged in a dialogue can't refute your argument intellectually. What's next, is your daddy gonna kick my dad's ass? Ohhh, I'm so NOT scared
an 81 OPS+ isnt subjective. Thats really, really bad. If you knew a lick about baseball you would know that league average is 100. Hes waaaaaaaaaaaaay off league average.
He was a 90 in 2022 (81 is his career mark), so naturally you didn't use that data point.

Why don't you supply a third-party source/attestation which provides an actual definition on what constitutes "bad" (your original wording), versus your learned opinion Rocco? Otherwise, it's simply not factually based on anything other than your biases. I did show Larnach "isn't a bad OF" - as on average doesn’t = bad.

Neat-o that you didn't refute his WAR number as being above average, so that must mean you concur with me.

Twins had ten hits today, so not too shabby - amazingly 4 of them were from the 7-9 hitters, crisis avoided! Yipee!
You gotta stick to what you know, which apparently is not baseball or the english language.
You're funni when you actin all smart and have poopy pants.

Last edited:

Name calling, always a clear sign that someone engaged in a dialogue can't refute your argument intellectually. What's next, is your daddy gonna kick my dad's ass? Ohhh, I'm so NOT scared

He was a 90 in 2022 (81 is his career mark), so naturally you didn't use that data point.

Why don't you supply a third-party source/attestation which provides an actual definition on what constitutes "bad" (your original wording), versus your learned opinion Rocco? Otherwise, it's simply not factually based on anything other than your biases. I did show Larnach "isn't a bad OF" - as on average doesn’t = bad.

Neat-o that you didn't refute his WAR number as being above average, so that must mean you concur with me.

Twins had ten hits today, so not too shabby - amazingly 4 of them were from the 7-9 hitters, crisis avoided! Yipee!

You're funni when you actin all smart and have poopy pants.

90 in 2022?!?!?!

So you cherry pick one year that is still well below average?!?!?! Thank you again for proving my point haha.

He has 1 year above league average and it was a whopping 104. Hes a bad hitter, this isnt a subjective opinion. Shit, Taylor himself would admit it.

WAR takes into account defense you fucking bozo. Your meltdown was strictly about him not being bad at hitting(which ironically you melted down about me calling him bad before I even called him bad haha).

Pro tip. When talking about a players hitting you have to use a batting stat. Whats next you going to say Rudy Gobert is a great 3 point shooter and reference goal tender save percentage?

Seriously do you read what you said?? You told me to provide a definition of "bad" and my biases. Then spew some nonsense that you "did show" Larnarch isnt bad. OPS PLUS IS A BASEBALL STAT FOR HITTERS USED BY EVEYRONE. I literally showed you a fact.

Fuck you are really goddam stupid

90 in 2022?!?!?!

So you cherry pick one year that is still well below average?!?!?! Thank you again for proving my point haha.

He has 1 year above league average and it was a whopping 104. Hes a bad hitter, this isnt a subjective opinion. Shit, Taylor himself would admit it.
No third party attestation as to where a 90 ranks (which percentile) amongst his peers, i.e. is it objectively “bad” or subjectively “bad” (as in your Larnach take about him being a bad defender, which I refuted with actual data and not supposition) - I knew HS debating would pay off some day😉.
WAR takes into account defense you fucking bozo. Your meltdown was strictly about him not being bad at hitting(which ironically you melted down about me calling him bad before I even called him bad haha).
I understand that and it showed he is an above average MLB player - that was my point. A nuanced debate can have multiple points simultaneously and it can be hard to track for some.

No meltdown on my end slugger, I’m still smiling (they’re free) and am now starting to pity you and your anger, as that’s a tough cross to bear.
Pro tip. When talking about a players hitting you have to use a batting stat. Whats next you going to say Rudy Gobert is a great 3 point shooter and reference goal tender save percentage?

Seriously do you read what you said?? You told me to provide a definition of "bad" and my biases. Then spew some nonsense that you "did show" Larnarch isnt bad. OPS PLUS IS A BASEBALL STAT FOR HITTERS USED BY EVEYRONE. I literally showed you a fact.
You stated Larnach was a bad defensive OF and I refuted that with data and a third party attestation, which you never replied to directly to and that exchange is below.

Fuck you are really goddam stupid
so below, again, is what you posted and Larnach being a BAD OF and your suggestion to move him to first and my reply to your post proving he isn’t a bad defender, but average, which isn’t considered bad obviously 🙄.
Yeah thats my thought as well.

Larnach is probably gonna be a bad defender either way. Why not have him learn first where its better to have him be meh.

And OF D of Gallo, Buxton/Taylor and Kepler is elite. Like that instantly gives your pitching staff so much to work with.
He’s ranked as an average outfielder, per the metrics in Statcast; additionally, we don’t know how much his D abilities were affected by his injuries - I suspect, he’ll be above average this year. Lastly, before he got hurt, he was among the league leaders in outfield assists: no he’s not Gallo, but he ain’t Kiriloff either - he’s at Tripe A, working in his stroke, till they he’s a 💯.

Lastly mon ami, I’m going to add you to my ignore list, so this thread doesn’t get hijacked by our hijinks. I won’t be responding to any more of your posts, as I can’t see them; I’m sure humanity will somehow survive.

You don’t need to swear at people, it’s churlish and other posters likely don’t want to read it either. You’re better than that, aren’t you?

Have a Blessed Day, unless you’ve made other plans.

Last edited:

I don’t understand how he caught this.

Off topic true story on Hunter Renfroe. 2014 All Star Game, Target Field, Futures Game.
The guy stood ten feet from multiple kids waving and hollering for autographs/balls/etc. He did the fake throw to a decent number of kids and laughed, never once approaching them and making a kids day. I simply could not believe what I watched from him.

Off topic true story on Hunter Renfroe. 2014 All Star Game, Target Field, Futures Game.
The guy stood ten feet from multiple kids waving and hollering for autographs/balls/etc. He did the fake throw to a decent number of kids and laughed, never once approaching them and making a kids day. I simply could not believe what I watched from him.
You might be thinking of Hunter Pence? Because Renfroe didn't even make his debut until 2016. Pence was an All Star in 2014.

Either way, that's terrible.

You might be thinking of Hunter Pence? Because Renfroe didn't even make his debut until 2016. Pence was an All Star in 2014.

Renfroe could have been in the Futures game, not the actual All Star Game.

Speaking of baseballs and kids, I was HS age and at Shea Stadium in 1986. I got there early and hung out down the right field line on the rail as the Mets were taking BP and warming up.

Tons of kids yelling at players for baseballs. Strawberry spots a much younger kid to my right as he was walking back to the dugout. He tossed one in our direction and just before it gets to the youngster I reached out and snatched it. Darryl gave me a laser like stare...so I did the natural thing. Hauled butt back to my seats with ball in hand.

I was still a minor. No guilt.

Renfroe was in the 2014 Futures Game at Target Field. Yes, it was embarrassing. I'm a dumbass grudge holder and will never forget it, and my kid wasn't even in the vicinity.

Renfroe could have been in the Futures game, not the actual All Star Game.

Speaking of baseballs and kids, I was HS age and at Shea Stadium in 1986. I got there early and hung out down the right field line on the rail as the Mets were taking BP and warming up.

Tons of kids yelling at players for baseballs. Strawberry spots a much younger kid to my right as he was walking back to the dugout. He tossed one in our direction and just before it gets to the youngster I reached out and snatched it. Darryl gave me a laser like stare...so I did the natural thing. Hauled butt back to my seats with ball in hand.

I was still a minor. No guilt.
So you’re the root cause of Straw’s downfall 🤔

I'm guessing Straw (& Doc) were already set on their lifestyle paths.;)
True, unfortunately.

I remember their epic playoff battle vs Houston that went 17(?) innings with Scott vs. Doc IIRC. I missed half of my English class and when queried by my professor, I told her the truth that I had to watch as I was on the baseball team; she laughed and let me 🛝 thankfully.
I will forever remember the stare down look he gave me. Wicked.
You got his Compton grimace.

That’s a funny as heck story, as that’s a quintessential Bayridge (Dads home, tight?) move vs. a Minny move. Do you have some Italian in you?

True, unfortunately.

I remember their epic playoff battle vs Houston that went 17(?) innings with Scott vs. Doc IIRC. I missed half of my English class and when queried by my professor, I told her the truth that I had to watch as I was on the baseball team; she laughed and let me 🛝 thankfully.

You got his Compton grimace.

That’s a funny as heck story, as that’s a quintessential Bayridge (Dads home, tight?) move vs. a Minny move. Do you have some Italian in you?
Yes, father grew up in Bay Ridge as a Dodgers fan then Mets while in HS at Bergen Cty. No Italian on that side (nor mothers), but a true NY mix.

That 16 inning Mets/Astros Game 6, Mike Scott was not the starter, but the urgency was there because that's who was looming had there been a Game 7. I had last hour study hall so I was able to bail early, and got home shortly after the game started.

I also was the stats guy for the HS football team and there was a game that evening. I figured the baseball would get done in plenty of time before I had to be back to leave on the team bus. Inning after inning, and I finally had to bail.

I remember watching the final out when Orosco chucked his glove at the Astrodome roof in celebration on a grainy rabbit ear b/w set in the coaches office of the locker room.

I was watching the same set the year before when Jack Clark took Tom Niedenfuer deep to win the 1985 NLCS.

I don't remember anything about either football game.

Renfroe was in the 2014 Futures Game at Target Field. Yes, it was embarrassing. I'm a dumbass grudge holder and will never forget it, and my kid wasn't even in the vicinity.
Ahh, didn't think about that.

Yes, father grew up in Bay Ridge as a Dodgers fan then Mets while in HS at Bergen Cty. No Italian on that side (nor mothers), but a true NY mix.

That 16 inning Mets/Astros Game 6, Mike Scott was not the starter, but the urgency was there because that's who was looming had there been a Game 7. I had last hour study hall so I was able to bail early, and got home shortly after the game started.

I also was the stats guy for the HS football team and there was a game that evening. I figured the baseball would get done in plenty of time before I had to be back to leave on the team bus. Inning after inning, and I finally had to bail.

I remember watching the final out when Orosco chucked his glove at the Astrodome roof in celebration on a grainy rabbit ear b/w set in the coaches office of the locker room.

I was watching the same set the year before when Jack Clark took Tom Niedenfuer deep to win the 1985 NLCS.

I don't remember anything about either football game.
Ahh, baseball just seemed more magical then - probably because I was younger and there was no other option but to watch it live - I’ll be waxing poetic in my mind the rest of the day 😃

No third party attestation as to where a 90 ranks (which percentile) amongst his peers, i.e. is it objectively “bad” or subjectively “bad” (as in your Larnach take about him being a bad defender, which I refuted with actual data and not supposition) - I knew HS debating would pay off some day😉.

I understand that and it showed he is an above average MLB player - that was my point. A nuanced debate can have multiple points simultaneously and it can be hard to track for some.

No meltdown on my end slugger, I’m still smiling (they’re free) and am now starting to pity you and your anger, as that’s a tough cross to bear.

You stated Larnach was a bad defensive OF and I refuted that with data and a third party attestation, which you never replied to directly to and that exchange is below.

so below, again, is what you posted and Larnach being a BAD OF and your suggestion to move him to first and my reply to your post proving he isn’t a bad defender, but average, which isn’t considered bad obviously 🙄.

Lastly mon ami, I’m going to add you to my ignore list, so this thread doesn’t get hijacked by our hijinks. I won’t be responding to any more of your posts, as I can’t see them; I’m sure humanity will somehow survive.

You don’t need to swear at people, it’s churlish and other posters likely don’t want to read it either. You’re better than that, aren’t you?

Have a Blessed Day, unless you’ve made other plans.

Shifting goal posts and then adding to ignore is exactly how someone knows they lost.

The irony is you engaged with me. Cowardly and incompetent.

Just heard about the new collective bargaining agreement between MLB and the minor leagues, which resulted from their decision last year to unionize.

If you click on the link, you’ll see how ridiculous low their pay was previously.

I always heard that the salaries were low. Didn't realize that they were this low.

I always heard that the salaries were low. Didn't realize that they were this low.
And some of those guys get married and have kids
There was a really interesting segment on HBO Real Sports a couple of years ago. Essentially, a guy is giving Minor Leaguer prospects a large lump sum advance as an investment.

The trade-off was the players then have to a give back a cut of ALL future MLB Earnings should they make it to the show.

I would be really curious how this new deal impacts his business model.

There was a really interesting segment on HBO Real Sports a couple of years ago. Essentially, a guy is giving Minor Leaguer prospects a large lump sum advance as an investment.

The trade-off was the players then have to a give back a cut of ALL future MLB Earnings should they make it to the show.

I would be really curious how this new deal impacts his business model.
I remember hearing about it and IIRC, Tatis Jr. Did it so he could spend the money on better off season training and nutrition when he was on the minors - he reasoned that he would hit it so big that he didn’t care about giving him a %, as he had a better chance to make it to where he wanted to go - same logic as taking a one year contract in football as a free agent to prove yourself ala Duke Shelley and that you’ll make more 💰 on the next deal.

I remember hearing about it and IIRC, Tatis Jr. Did it so he could spend the money on better off season training and nutrition when he was on the minors - he reasoned that he would hit it so big that he didn’t care about giving him a %, as he had a better chance to make it to where he wanted to go - same logic as taking a one year contract in football as a free agent to prove yourself ala Duke Shelley and that you’ll make more 💰 on the next deal.
Yes, Tatis is part of the story and as you mention many players sign up for to get better training & nutrition.

The guy behind it was a former farmhand himself who saw the gap in the marketplace.

Ahh, baseball just seemed more magical then - probably because I was younger and there was no other option but to watch it live - I’ll be waxing poetic in my mind the rest of the day 😃
1986 MLB postseason was epic. Game #5 of ALCS may have been the best game I ever saw not involving the Twins. Game #6 of NLCS was right there also. Numerous other good-to-great games that October, including Game #6 of the WS.

Yes, Tatis is part of the story and as you mention many players sign up for to get better training & nutrition.

The guy behind it was a former farmhand himself who saw the gap in the marketplace.
I love this type of win win capitalism; reminds me of David Wright’s deal with VitaminWater (Mike Repole, soon to be St. John’s NIL benefactor). Both Wight and VitaminWater were in their infancy. Wright was offered something like hundreds of thousands $ or a small piece of equity which took a while to vest it automatically when sold. When Repole sold it to Coke for 4.1B, Wright netted something like $25M as he smartly took the equity.

Last edited:

1986 MLB postseason was epic. Game #5 of ALCS may have been the best game I ever saw. Game #6 of NLCS was right there also. Numerous other good-to-great games that October, including Game #6 of the WS.
And gleefully waiting for SI to come to see the photos and articles about the game.
I miss the simplicity of those days.

I love this type of win win capitalism; reminds me of David Wright’s deal with VitaminWater (Mike Repole, soon to be St. John’s NIL benefactor). Both Wight and VitaminWater were in their infancy. Wright was offered something like hundreds of thousands $ or a small piece of equity which took a while to vest it automatically when sold. When Repole sold it to Coke for 4.1B, Wright netted something like $25M.
Wright took a page out of the MJ playbook, a plot point in Air.

Top Bottom