All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

The starting rotation is better than it's been in a long time, yes. The lineup certainly isn't. Hopefully they get Polanco and Kiriloff back soon. If so I like their chances in the division.

None of that means we have to pretend the staff ace taking shots at the manager / front office a couple days before opening day is a good thing.

I didn't read Gray's quote as taking shots at the manager. If you read his quote, it seems to be addressed at some of the starting pitchers on last year's team. and you can guess who he's talking about - Archer, Bundy, maybe Smeltzer.

I read this as Gray saying this year's rotation has a different mindset.

having said that, it will be very interesting to track how Rocco handles the starters. I suspect that Gray, Lopez and Ryan will be allowed to pitch deeper into games. Mahle and Maeda are both coming off injuries, so I suspect that Rocco will be more careful with them for at least their first few starts.

I didn't read Gray's quote as taking shots at the manager. If you read his quote, it seems to be addressed at some of the starting pitchers on last year's team. and you can guess who he's talking about - Archer, Bundy, maybe Smeltzer.

I read this as Gray saying this year's rotation has a different mindset.

having said that, it will be very interesting to track how Rocco handles the starters. I suspect that Gray, Lopez and Ryan will be allowed to pitch deeper into games. Mahle and Maeda are both coming off injuries, so I suspect that Rocco will be more careful with them for at least their first few starts.

This is how I read it too.

I think Rocco had too quick of a hook, but there were plenty of times where a pitcher was left out there for the 6th inning and they didn't make it through the inning. If the pitchers want to pitch longer, they also need to pitch better.

Looks like you might need your parka for the home opener. Gonna be in the low 30's by the first pitch.

This is a problem almost every season, it seems.
The last April game I attended was the blizzard game against the Dodgers. White-out like conditions for an inning or two. Baseball in April in Minnesota is stupid.

Looks like you might need your parka for the home opener. Gonna be in the low 30's by the first pitch.
70 and sunny in Kansas City tomorrow for the season opener. The Twins play a lot of games at home in April. That makes sense, :rolleyes:

Everyone remembers the bad weather. They've had as many good days as bad ones for home openers at Target Field:

4/12/2010 vs Boston Red Sox 5-2 W 68 degrees F
4/8/2011 vs Oakland Athletics 2-1 W 64 degrees F
4/9/2012 vs Los Angeles Angels 1-5 L 48 degrees F
4/1/2013 vs Detroit Tigers 2-4 L 36 degrees F
4/7/2014 vs Oakland Athletics 3-8 L 60 degrees F
4/13/2015 vs Kansas City Royals 3-12 L 64 degrees F
4/11/2016 vs Chicago White Sox 1-4 L 44 degrees F
4/3/2017 vs Kansas City Royals 7-1 W 53 degrees F
4/5/2018 vs Seattle Mariners 4-2 W 40 degrees F
3/28/2019 vs Cleveland Indians 2-0 W 53 degrees F
7/28/2020 vs St. Louis Cardinals 6-3 W 85 degrees F
4/8/2021 vs Seattle Mariners 10-2 W 65 degrees F
4/8/2022 vs Seattle Mariners 1-2 L 41 degrees F

Everyone remembers the bad weather. They've had as many good days as bad ones for home openers at Target Field:

4/12/2010 vs Boston Red Sox 5-2 W 68 degrees F
4/8/2011 vs Oakland Athletics 2-1 W 64 degrees F
4/9/2012 vs Los Angeles Angels 1-5 L 48 degrees F
4/1/2013 vs Detroit Tigers 2-4 L 36 degrees F
4/7/2014 vs Oakland Athletics 3-8 L 60 degrees F
4/13/2015 vs Kansas City Royals 3-12 L 64 degrees F
4/11/2016 vs Chicago White Sox 1-4 L 44 degrees F
4/3/2017 vs Kansas City Royals 7-1 W 53 degrees F
4/5/2018 vs Seattle Mariners 4-2 W 40 degrees F
3/28/2019 vs Cleveland Indians 2-0 W 53 degrees F
7/28/2020 vs St. Louis Cardinals 6-3 W 85 degrees F
4/8/2021 vs Seattle Mariners 10-2 W 65 degrees F
4/8/2022 vs Seattle Mariners 1-2 L 41 degrees F
I'm biased since I had tickets (1/2 season) for the first 6 or 7 years of the new stadium. Most of my April games were cold as F**k!

I'm biased since I had tickets (1/2 season) for the first 6 or 7 years of the new stadium. Most of my April games were cold as F**k!
I'm sure there's been much more bad than good in that regard. Kind of funny how there was debate about a roof or not, and the first two years had just spectacular season openers. Of course, like everything, it kind of has evened out over the years.

70 and sunny in Kansas City tomorrow for the season opener. The Twins play a lot of games at home in April. That makes sense, :rolleyes:
The problem is even the teams that live in better climates don't want to play an overwhelming amount of games at home in April, as after the Openers attendance is not great. Including the March Opener, they have 13 Road and 16 Home through April.

Only 6 of those Target Field games are before April 21. Basically they got an extra 3 game series as part of their 2nd homestand, which hopefully by then the Twin Cities will be completely thawed out.

Not ideal but not really unfair either.

Kind of stinks though that the Home Opener is going to be head to head with the Gophers Frozen 4 game with Boston U which has a 4pm face off.

McKenzie got hurt literally 1 hr after I drafted him, smh.
giphy.gif

09 or 10 they were above average from top to bottom at the end of the year (forget which year it was). On paper it wasn't quite as sexy but statistically with innings pitched, ERA, and wins we had a really good 1-5 whichever year it was.

About as good as can be expected with the current roster. I'm glad the "Gallo leading off" idea was scrapped. 7-9 could be pretty brutal though. There might be some 2 minute half innings with the new rules.

All this talk about how “good” this rotation should make you realize just how shitty they have been the last 30 years. Yeah the rotation is “good”, but it’s not like it has bunch of cute young candidates or past cut young winners in it. I don’t wanna celebrate the front office for doing there job this year, when they have done a shitty job other years. This rotation also cost a lot of trade capital in high picks of young arms and talented young players, so it damn sure better be good.

Anyway play ball and let the marathon begin. You can’t win the division in April and may, but you sure can lose it.

All this talk about how “good” this rotation should make you realize just how shitty they have been the last 30 years. Yeah the rotation is “good”, but it’s not like it has bunch of cute young candidates or past cut young winners in it. I don’t wanna celebrate the front office for doing there job this year, when they have done a shitty job other years. This rotation also cost a lot of trade capital in high picks of young arms and talented young players, so it damn sure better be good.

Anyway play ball and let the marathon begin. You can’t win the division in April and may, but you sure can lose it.
So it’s already raining 🌧️ in KC?

They are a .500 team. Unless they get huge years out of Miranda and Kiriloff can come back. The bottom of that lineup is terrible and I hate Joey Gallo. I don’t care how many homeruns he hits and what is OBS is.

Go twins.
Wanna bet for charity? I take the over +4.5 games north of .500 and you get south of that, gor $50 to winners charity of choice.

Otherwise Abner, would it kill you to let the season commence, before crapping all over it?

They are a .500 team. Unless they get huge years out of Miranda and Kiriloff can come back. The bottom of that lineup is terrible and I hate Joey Gallo. I don’t care how many homeruns he hits and what is OBS is.

Go twins.

The problem with Gallo right now is our other injuries and the organization simping Buxton along.

It forces him to play 1B and Larnch(not good) in the OF.

Gallo adds value even if his bat sucks if he can play OF because hes a really, really good defender out there. At 1B hes basically a DH in there for his bat.

The problem with Gallo right now is our other injuries and the organization simping Buxton along.

It forces him to play 1B and Larnch(not good) in the OF.

Gallo adds value even if his bat sucks if he can play OF because hes a really, really good defender out there. At 1B hes basically a DH in there for his bat.
Yep. If Gallo can play mostly OF this year and keep his average around .220-.230, I think he'll be a solid asset. We aren't going to score a ton of runs but if the pitching staff can stay relatively healthy, I think we've got a good shot at the central.

Last edited:

Over/under on wins for the season...I'll set it at 88. Thoughts?

Win Twins!!

I'll take the over. They'll win at least 90 as long as the entire team doesn't end up on the DL again like at the end of last season.

Top Bottom