All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

The problem with Gallo right now is our other injuries and the organization simping Buxton along.

It forces him to play 1B and Larnch(not good) in the OF.

Gallo adds value even if his bat sucks if he can play OF because hes a really, really good defender out there. At 1B hes basically a DH in there for his bat.

I can't believe they can't find some way to play Gallo in the OF and find somebody else to play first. You would upgrade two positions at once. Larnach simply can't play first, I guess? Hell, Scott Hatteberg figured it out!

Any new word on Kiriloff?

I can't believe they can't find some way to play Gallo in the OF and find somebody else to play first. You would upgrade two positions at once. Larnach simply can't play first, I guess? Hell, Scott Hatteberg figured it out!

Any new word on Kiriloff?

Yeah thats my thought as well.

Larnach is probably gonna be a bad defender either way. Why not have him learn first where its better to have him be meh.

And OF D of Gallo, Buxton/Taylor and Kepler is elite. Like that instantly gives your pitching staff so much to work with.

Yeah thats my thought as well.

Larnach is probably gonna be a bad defender either way. Why not have him learn first where its better to have him be meh.

And OF D of Gallo, Buxton/Taylor and Kepler is elite. Like that instantly gives your pitching staff so much to work with.
He’s ranked as an average outfielder, per the metrics in Statcast; additionally, we don’t know how much his D abilities were affected by his injuries - I suspect, he’ll be above average this year. Lastly, before he got hurt, he was among the league leaders in outfield assists: no he’s not Gallo, but he ain’t Kiriloff either - he’s at Tripe A, working in his stroke, till they he’s a 💯.

Over/under on wins for the season...I'll set it at 88. Thoughts?

Win Twins!!
I'm more aligned with the number that South Point has set, 84.5 and if forced to wager I would even take the under on that.

Still could compete for the AL Central though.

The problem with Gallo right now is our other injuries and the organization simping Buxton along.

It forces him to play 1B and Larnch(not good) in the OF.

Gallo adds value even if his bat sucks if he can play OF because hes a really, really good defender out there. At 1B hes basically a DH in there for his bat.
He's a pretty good 1B too, but yes, it would be far better to put Buxton in CF and DH Larnach and use Farmer/Solano/Miranda at 1B. I do not understand their rational on Buxton. If he's healthy enough to run the bases, he's healthy enough to play in the field.

80-82. Just enough for Rocco and Falvine to survive for another year.

He's a pretty good 1B too, but yes, it would be far better to put Buxton in CF and DH Larnach and use Farmer/Solano/Miranda at 1B. I do not understand their rational on Buxton. If he's healthy enough to run the bases, he's healthy enough to play in the field.

We actively try and diminish his value. Hes injury prone regardless what he does.

So why not use the most dynamic OF in the game?? Having him DH and hit .220 is only gonna help us if he hes able to slug .550+ and play a full season.

We actively try and diminish his value. Hes injury prone regardless what he does.

So why not use the most dynamic OF in the game?? Having him DH and hit .220 is only gonna help us if he hes able to slug .550+ and play a full season.
Last season before he got hurt, Buck was hanging with Judge in ALlead for homers.

Taylor us not a gigantic drop off defensively and for the Twins to win the central, they need Bucks bat in the lineup as often as possible- it’s more important than his 🧤 with Taylor out there vs. Celestino or Kepler

Last season before he got hurt, Buck was hanging with Judge in ALlead for homers.

Taylor us not a gigantic drop off defensively and for the Twins to win the central, they need Bucks bat in the lineup as often as possible- it’s more important than his 🧤 with Taylor out there vs. Celestino or Kepler
I agree in principal. Buck could get hurt running to first just as easily as he can in centerfield. The problem becomes the giant black hole the bottom of the line-up. They are also using all their depth right now because of the injuries to Polanco and Kiriloff. This lineup could be pretty good if they come back.

I agree in principal. Buck could get hurt running to first just as easily as he can in centerfield. The problem becomes the giant black hole the bottom of the line-up. They are also using all their depth right now because of the injuries to Polanco and Kiriloff. This lineup could be pretty good if they come back.
Are you saying Taylor is that inept in the box?

We dont have a good offense though. So we also need to maximize our bats. Having Buxton DH all the time does not do that.

Just tell him not to run into walls. You can pay a guy the big bucks and not use one of his greatest assets. We are basically turning a 5 tool player into a all or nothing power hitter(albeit good power).

We dont have a good offense though. So we also need to maximize our bats. Having Buxton DH all the time does not do that.
Excuse me ☝️

Where, specifically, did I say he should DH ALL THE TIME?

My premise which I thought was easily understood, as opposed to opaque, was to get Buxton as Many ABs as possible; if that requires load management, so be it IMO. I would rather have him With as many ABs as possible, regardless of where they emanate from - this requires that tha manager makes those decisions, which should make you happy, as it gives you something to complain about all season long.

Per Baseball Reference, Taylor’s offense isn’t as bad you portend it is - think Larnach!s D 🤣- as a comp and it sounds like you’re unaware that Taylor is a gold glove winning CF as well which he won in 2021.

Just tell him not to run into walls. You can pay a guy the big bucks and not use one of his greatest assets. We are basically turning a 5 tool player into a all or nothing power hitter(albeit good power).
Try reading the black part of my post next time, champ 🥳

Excuse me ☝️

Where, specifically, did I say he should DH ALL THE TIME?

My premise which I thought was easily understood, as opposed to opaque, was to get Buxton as Many ABs as possible; if that requires load management, so be it IMO. I would rather have him With as many ABs as possible, regardless of where they emanate from - this requires that tha manager makes those decisions, which should make you happy, as it gives you something to complain about all season long.

Per Baseball Reference, Taylor’s offense isn’t as bad you portend it is - think Larnach!s D 🤣- as a comp and it sounds like you’re unaware that Taylor is a gold glove winning CF as well which he won in 2021.

Try reading the black part of my post next time, champ 🥳

Did I say that you said he should DH all the time??

Its the literally team plan currently, champ.

Taylor has a career OPS+ of 81, his offense is bad. And what are you talking about "as bad as I PRETEND it is". I didnt even mention Taylor.

If youre gonna engage, practice reading comprehension a bit first.

Did I say that you said he should DH all the time??
From your previous reply (see bolded below)- yes kiddo that was your premise. Your words, not mine

Its the literally team plan currently, champ.

Taylor has a career OPS+ of 81, his offense is bad.
I don’t trust your subjective definition of “bad” after your Larnach D take.

His WAR last year was 3.2 and he brings speed to the lineup as well, which with the new rules, will enhance his value on the base paths. See how his WAR ranks per FanGraphs below-

And what are you talking about "as bad as I PRETEND it is". I didnt even mention Taylor.
Obviously Taylor, is the player, when healthy, that will spelling Buck in central- you didn’t need to reference it - it’s implied in the argument.
If youre gonna engage, practice reading comprehension a bit first.
You present as an intellectually dishonest poster and I will somehow manage to function, despite not reading any more of your posts.

Good gosh, I can’t believe you got that pissed because I correctly pointed out the flaw in your Larnach claim.

Have a great rest of your day and remember these are free -😃

From your previous reply (see bolded below)- yes kiddo that was your premise. Your words, not mine

I don’t trust your subjective definition of “bad” after your Larnach D take.

His WAR last year was 3.2 and he brings speed to the lineup as well, which with the new rules, will enhance his value on the base paths. See how his WAR ranks per FanGraphs below-

Obviously Taylor, is the player, when healthy, that will spelling Buck in central- you didn’t need to reference it - it’s implied in the argument.

You present as an intellectually dishonest poster and I will somehow manage to function, despite not reading any more of your posts.

Good gosh, I can’t believe you got that pissed because I correctly pointed out the flaw in your Larnach claim.

Have a great rest of your day and remember these are free -😃

Dude seriously, are you handicapped??

What you bolded was not me saying you said anything. It was me making a statement that Buxton DH'ing all the time does not maximize. You cant actually be this stupid.

an 81 OPS+ isnt subjective. Thats really, really bad. If you knew a lick about baseball you would know that league average is 100. Hes waaaaaaaaaaaaay off league average.

You gotta stick to what you know, which apparently is not baseball or the english language.

Heck of a pitching performance today.

1-0.

Win Twins!!
Undefeated in March! (regular season)

I was only able to listen on radio, but it feels like the new rules do keep the action moving. Much less time to read in game promos.

LOVE it.

Injuries everywhere again today. Tons of starting pitchers hurt right now. It’s only a matter of time before Ober is back up.

Undefeated in March! (regular season)

I was only able to listen on radio, but it feels like the new rules do keep the action moving. Much less time to read in game promos.

LOVE it.
Game was much more enjoyable to watch today as opposed to the last few years or longer. I can do without all the in and out of the batter's box and also the other little things that prolongs the game.

Injuries everywhere again today. Tons of starting pitchers hurt right now. It’s only a matter of time before Ober is back up.

No he won't, this is the season where the Twins stay healthy and everyone else loses everyone. We finally win a playoff series then get swept by the Yankees backups in the ALCS.

Dude seriously, are you handicapped??

What you bolded was not me saying you said anything. It was me making a statement that Buxton DH'ing all the time does not maximize. You cant actually be this stupid.

an 81 OPS+ isnt subjective. Thats really, really bad. If you knew a lick about baseball you would know that league average is 100. Hes waaaaaaaaaaaaay off league average.

You gotta stick to what you know, which apparently is not baseball or the english language.
Cant actually has an apostrophe…. As in you can’t be calling someone stupid when you don’t know how to spell can’t. It’s actually a pretty easy word.

on the lineup - I suspect the Twins will essentially have two different lineups this year - one against RH pitching and one against LH pitching.

as we saw in today's game - KC made a pitching change and Rocco subbed in with Farmer and Solano to hit against a LH RP.

So, when the Twins face a LH starter, expect Farmer and Solano in the lineup - maybe Castro (a switch-hitter), even Jeffers as the DH, depending on the matchup. against a RH starter, then Gallo, Kepler, etc will be in the lineup.

Getting Polanco back would be huge as a switch-hitter to provide more lineup flexibility.

Top Bottom