All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Didnt watch the game.

But why in the flying fuck did the Red Sox intentionally walk Vazquez to start the 10th?? That goes beyond Baldelli level dumb
The play should have been pitch to Vazquez, then walk Taylor.

Any way you look at it, in a tie game, only Castro’s run meant anything.

I have no idea how Taylor is out there.
Rocco should have tried to get thrown out of the game a 2nd time.

It was the worst call I have seen in MLB since the Rangers-White Sox game the night before. BRUTAL blocking the plate call which benefited the Whities with the go ahead run.

Yup with vazquez(he may bunt if not walked) you have a guy who hits a lot of weak contact and can K quite a bit. Not sure why they dont pitch to him.

Walking him ensures Taylor will bunt and Taylor is a guy proven he can bunt and also can run. Which eliminates a lot of DP possibilities and also gives him a chance to beat out a bunt.

Odd decision.........Ill take it

Didnt watch the game.

But why in the flying fuck did the Red Sox intentionally walk Vazquez to start the 10th?? That goes beyond Baldelli level dumb

My assumption is they assumed Vazquez & subsequently Taylor would be bunting. Walking Vasquez sets up a force, also slow of foot. That meant going to 2nd was an option, leaving a double play possibility.

Taylor put down a good one towards 1st, no chance to get the lead runner. 1Bman didn't even look to 2nd though then made the awkward toss to the pitcher covering.

Morneau discussed it during the broadcast.

Last edited:

My assumption is they assumed Vasquez & subsequently Taylor would be bunting. Walking Vasquez sets up a force, also slow of foot. That meant going to 2nd was an option, leaving a double play possibility.

Taylor put down a good one towards 1st, no chance to get the lead runner. 1Bman didn't even look to 2nd though then made the awkward toss to the pitcher covering.

I have no idea if this is true or not but the Red Sox would know more than anyone. Could be that Vazquez is a good bunter?

My assumption is they assumed Vasquez & subsequently Taylor would be bunting. Walking Vasquez sets up a force, also slow of foot. That meant going to 2nd was an option, leaving a double play possibility.

Plus it should have been bases loaded with 0 outs. Both the umpire & the replay blew the call.

Ort never touched first base. Taylor got it with his toe.

Plus it should have been bases loaded with 0 outs. Both the umpire & the replay blew the call.

Agree. Addressed in post 3,032,

I have no idea if this is true or not but the Red Sox would know more than anyone. Could be that Vazquez is a good bunter?
I was thinking that too. Vazquez must at least be adequate. He had 15 with Boston in his 8 seasons with them, 1 as a Twin.

Rocco should have tried to get thrown out of the game a 2nd time.

It was the worst call I have seen in MLB since the Rangers-White Sox game the night before. BRUTAL blocking the plate call which benefited the Whities with the go ahead run.
For anyone curious, this was the Rangers-White Sox lousy call I was referencing. Could wind up impacting the Twins. Absurd.

My assumption is they assumed Vazquez & subsequently Taylor would be bunting. Walking Vasquez sets up a force, also slow of foot. That meant going to 2nd was an option, leaving a double play possibility.

Yup - that’s the play, ♟️ not checkers.

Any word on the out call at first base last night?

Did the umpires ever tell what they saw?

Any word on the out call at first base last night?

Did the umpires ever tell what they saw?
Given how lousy and well documented the Twins have done with the bases loaded this season, perhaps the Ump was doing the home team a favor. ;)

End result. W.

In real time, I can see how the call was missed. Replay? o_O

If you think the Twins lineup is bad, Cleveland's lineup in today's game against the A's has just two guys with a .700+ OPS. For comparison, the Twins have six today.

That is crazy (twice). Maybe to also improve the defense with an early lead? Just a random guess.
It's the same exact scenario that happened a couple of weeks ago against the Giants. SF had a right-handed opener, so the lineup was lefty-heavy. Both teams moved to a lefty in the 2nd. Twins got down early, so Rocco defended those moves by saying it was urgent to try and get back into the game. Wonder what the excuse is this time.

You've now already cut your bench in half. If it's the 6th or 7th, I somewhat get it. But not in the 2nd.

Why not just start the other two guys? You knew they were bringing in the lefty after 1 or 2 innings.

Way the twins are going don't follow the schedule as closely as otherwise. Thought the twins played tonight so just saw the score.

Three homers between Correa and Buxton. Couple hits for Lewis. Ryan untouchable. Back to .500. Nice. Should give the team something to feel good about and hopefully build on

Buxton starting to heat up?
Let's hope both he and Carlos are flipping the script for the second half - that's how the team is built and there is no panacea awaiting us in AAA. They are our Dudes for better or worse.

Here are our stats with Buck being in the lineup and without him being in the lineup - pretty drastic difference. Buck needs to make his piece with his knees now and go forward from there - if he gets to play the OF again regularly, Bonus round, if not, he's wealthy beyond his dreams, playing a kid's game and still gets to hit Bombs - be a leader Buck - count your blessings.

TEAMWITH/WITHOUTGRECW%WLABRH2B3BHRRBISHSFSBCSBBIBBHBPSOGIDPPATBXBHAVGOBPSLGOPS
Minnesota TwinsMinnesota Twinswith642350-292.54535029221,8733,0295,4661,142998752,90079162286932,134792385,57442724,4869,4312,116.250.321.431.752
Minnesota TwinsMinnesota Twinswithout627280-347.44728034721,3892,8975,3791,0881027522,76559153186981,950922135,17744123,7648,9271,942.251.318.417.736

Lastly, Jeter is the only rookie I can think of who was a Dude (i.e., they don't ger there without him) for his teams achieving form of postseason success (for them it was a WS, for us I'd take wining a playoff game/series) - that's why Jeter's a HOF. I'm sure I'm missing others, but the point being, is its rare air for a rookie to be a Dude leading a team.

If Buck & Correra don't perform to a reasonable facsimile of their abilities, we likely don't win the division or break the playoff losing streak - anyway.

Sit back and enjoy the second half!!

Top Bottom