All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Great, now Kepler gonna stay another 3 weeks just homered in garbage time off Kluber.

Funny thing is, Kluber was warming up when it was 3-0. Basically if we didnt punt first with Headrick we coulda came back haha

Just for shits and giggles, let's do this:

Be the first team in history to win a division with under .500 baseball

Make history and have the most strikeouts ever

Go 0-20 or 0-21 in the playoffs......whatever the hell it is.

What a trip!

Wild card teams will be throwing games to get that coveted 6 seed to match up with us. Would be epic.

Last edited:

It’s his right knee so the only things I can think of is lots of running is hard to do or changing direction is difficult. He definitely doesn’t run to 1st as hard as he used to.
I have heard it suggested that even standing for a long duration (or several short ones) puts Buxton's knee at risk. Chronically bad.

Just for shits and giggles, let's do this:

Be the first team in history to win a division with under .500 baseball

Make history and have the most strikeouts ever

Go 0-20 or 0-21 in the playoffs......whatever the hell it is.

What a trip!
The only non-Central Division team in the AL with a worse record than the Twins are the A’s.

The joy with which Gold Glove winner plays the game is most noticeable when he’s covering a seemingly impossible amount of grass to rob opposing players of extra bases. Buxton simply is not himself without that the ability to impact the game in that manner.

He knows that better than anyone.

Which adds to Buxton’s frustration as he continues to struggle at the plate. Before Tuesday night’s game between the Twins and Boston Red Sox at Target Field, the designated hitter had not garnered a hit since being reinstated from the injured list last week. The slump would be easier for Buxton to stomach if he were able to make his presence felt in the outfield.

“That definitely takes your mind off of what you do at the plate,” he said Tuesday. “If I was to strike out, I went on defense, and I was like, ‘Ain’t nobody getting a hit.’ ”

That healthy distraction isn’t available at the moment, and despite constant clamoring from fans, it doesn’t seem as if it will be anytime soon. That’s something manager Rocco Baldelli made abundantly clear as he addressed the idea of Buxton playing in the outfield.

“If we even thought that it was possible that he could play in the outfield right now, he would be out there,” Baldelli said. “But he can’t. He can’t. He physically can’t.”

This isn’t a new development. The lingering effects from surgery on his right knee last season have hindered Buxton’s ability to play in the outfield. That’s why he has spent this season as a DH and nothing else.

“It’s not really a question,” Baldelli said, “because it’s something that’s been beyond pondered and we know the answer.”.

Lots of good stuff from the Strib's baseball historian.

I've only seen a copy of Rocco Baldelli's long explanation of the Byron Buxton predicament before Tuesday night's game at Target Field, but the Twins manager made it completely clear that the constant bleating from team followers and a share of the local media about the need for Buxton to return to center field should come to an end.

The fact that it should doesn't mean it will, since beating dead horses is a long tradition among us sports reporters and also fans — so, just know you're wasting your breath and typed comments on an issue Buxton's vulnerable skeleton and joints already have decided.

Buxton's chronic right knee problem — and other issues with that leg — means that when able to play (which has been a good share of the time in 2023), he will be the Twins' designated hitter.

And with 5 ½ more years remaining on a $100 million contract, and with zero possibility of moving him in a trade even if he would be willing to accept (the contract has a full no-trade clause), he will be filling that valuable spot in the lineup for the foreseeable future.

Good. We have that straight now, so you can stop whining.

You're not going to, of course, but you can.

I've only seen a copy of Rocco Baldelli's long explanation of the Byron Buxton predicament before Tuesday night's game at Target Field, but the Twins manager made it completely clear that the constant bleating from team followers and a share of the local media about the need for Buxton to return to center field should come to an end.

The fact that it should doesn't mean it will, since beating dead horses is a long tradition among us sports reporters and also fans — so, just know you're wasting your breath and typed comments on an issue Buxton's vulnerable skeleton and joints already have decided.

Buxton's chronic right knee problem — and other issues with that leg — means that when able to play (which has been a good share of the time in 2023), he will be the Twins' designated hitter.

And with 5 ½ more years remaining on a $100 million contract, and with zero possibility of moving him in a trade even if he would be willing to accept (the contract has a full no-trade clause), he will be filling that valuable spot in the lineup for the foreseeable future.

It's unfortunate because he's so valuable in CF. And a full time DH really limits the lineup. It's easily worth it if it's a guy like Nelson Cruz, David Ortiz or Edgar Martinez of course, but not as much for a slightly above average hitter.

Kepler batting 5th today now thanks to his garbage time bomb

Cannot make this shit up

Stop Whining........WTF

They signed a guy to a 7 year/100 million dollar deal who can't run and can't hit.

Yes, don't whine!

Last edited:

Arraez 1B. .934 ops
Steer 3B. .823
Kiriloff RF. .794
Correa SS. .711
Julien 2B. .770
Jeffers C. .771
CES DH. 1.091 (AAA)
Lewis LF. .803
Taylor CF. .701

Just saying . .

Last edited:

Stop Whining........WTF

They signed a guy to a 7 year/100 million dollar deal who can t run and can't hit.

Yes, don't whine!
I think the point is it isn't the Twins that are just refusing to play him in CF. He apparently physically can't.

The contract was a no brainer at the time.

I finally get to see a twins game on TV. Of course give up a run in the 1st. I turn the channel away to not see commercials. I turn it back. Its already Boston runner on 1st. Twins go through 3 batters on 6 pitches. And I missed all that "action".

I finally get to see a twins game on TV. Of course give up a run in the 1st. I turn the channel away to not see commercials. I turn it back. Its already Boston runner on 1st. Twins go through 3 batters on 6 pitches. And I missed all that "action".
Well, maybe I need to keep complaining.

Strange with Correa. He should be in his prime. He seems to get around well on the field so can't blame injury.

Twins desperately need something to feel good about. C'mon guys figure it out here tonight.

Twins desperately need something to feel good about. C'mon guys figure it out here tonight.
I feel like there’s been several of those games that I’m thinking “this is where they turn it around” but it never amounts to anything. I thought that Correa walk off and sweep of Milwaukee was going to kick start them on a bit of a run but that didn’t happen.

I feel like there’s been several of those games that I’m thinking “this is where they turn it around” but it never amounts to anything. I thought that Correa walk off and sweep of Milwaukee was going to kick start them on a bit of a run but that didn’t happen.

100% agree. My thoughts exactly.

Didnt watch the game.

But why in the flying fuck did the Red Sox intentionally walk Vazquez to start the 10th?? That goes beyond Baldelli level dumb

Top Bottom