All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

with the various moves, the Wolves have at least one and possibly two roster spots open. but I'm not sure where they sit on the luxury tax threshold, but I do believe they have some kind of mid-level exemption or trade exemption available. So they could (I believe) add a player in the buyout market.

if they do add a player, it almost has to be a shooter - someone who can come off the bench and pop some 3's - aka the old Malik Beasley role.
They can spend a tiny bit more than the minimum.

The 76ers getting Buddy Heild is pretty big.
DAL added Gafford and PJ Washington to their frontcourt and PHO added Royce O'Neal. Based on recent play and new acquisitions, I'd rank the WC right now as:

1. LAC
2. OKC
3. PHO
4. DEN
5. MIN
6. DAL
7. SAC
8. NO

DAL added Gafford and PJ Washington to their frontcourt and PHO added Royce O'Neal. Based on recent play and new acquisitions, I'd rank the WC right now as:

1. LAC
2. OKC
3. PHO
4. DEN
5. MIN
6. DAL
7. SAC
8. NO
I was hoping we could flip Anderson for O'Neal, but I still think we will make another move or two once players get released.

Looks like the Wolves arrived in Milwaukee safely. Hope everybody around Madison and Janesville will get through the tornado okay too. With all the trades it's going be a game with a lot of missing parts.

Milwaukee Bucks

NAMEPOSEST. RETURN DATESTATUSCOMMENT
Damian LillardPGFeb 9OutFeb 8: Lillard (ankle) has been ruled out for Thursday's game against the Timberwolves, Alan Horton of the Timberwolves Radio Network reports.
Patrick BeverleyPGFeb 9OutFeb 8: The 76ers traded Beverley to the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for Cameron Payne on Thursday, Woj reports.
Khris MiddletonSFFeb 9OutFeb 7: Middleton (ankle) has been ruled out for Thursday's game against the Timberwolves.
Jae CrowderPFFeb 8Day-To-DayFeb 7: Crowder is listed as probable for Thursday's game against the Timberwolves due to a left ankle sprain.

i
Minnesota Timberwolves

NAMEPOSEST. RETURN DATESTATUSCOMMENT
Leonard MillerFFeb 8Day-To-DayFeb 8: Miller is questionable for Thursday's game against Milwaukee due to an illness.
Jordan McLaughlinPGFeb 8Day-To-DayFeb 8: McLaughlin is questionable for Thursday's game at Milwaukee due to a right hip pointer.
Monte MorrisPGFeb 8Day-To-DayFeb 7: The Pistons are finalizing a deal to send Morris to the Timberwolves on Wednesday in exchange for Shake Milton, Troy Brown and a second-round pick, Shams Charania of The Athletic reports.

Minnesota is running Milwaukee right out of there own arena right now. up 27.

Minnesota is running Milwaukee right out of there own arena right now. up 27.
Without Lilliard and Middleton, Milwaukee is almost horrific.

The best part of the night was the Lopez brother reading a book the entire game. What a weirdo!

Wolves 102 - Milwaukee 75 after 3. Minnesota only has 4 turnovers to Milwaukee's 9

Michael Beasley is 1 for12 and 0-8 from 3.

Timberwolves ride third-quarter spurt to slam Bucks 129-105

The Wolves' recent propensity to relinquish large leads took a hiatus, as Minnesota stretched a 10-point halftime lead to 27 on the back of a 39-22 third quarter.

MILWAUKEE – Earlier in the season, the Timberwolves had built a good habit of crushing opponents in the third quarter.

Thursday night felt like that again, as the Wolves pulled away in a monster third quarter for an easy 129-105 victory over the Bucks.

For a night, the Wolves' recent propensity to relinquish large lead took a hiatus, as Minnesota stretched a 10-point halftime lead to 27 after the third on the back of a 39-22 third quarter. The Wolves were 14-for-22 in the third and held the Bucks to 7-for-17. The Wolves took advantage of a porous Milwaukee defense that has struggled all season, and their defense capitalized on an absent Damian Lillard (ankle) and Khris Middleton (ankle). They also benefited from former Wolves guard Malik Beasley going 1-for-13. They spread the wealth around on offense. Anthony Edwards had 26, Karl-Anthony Towns had 19 while Naz Reid had 17 off the bench. Mike Conley hit his first six threes for 18 points. Giannis Antetokounmpo had 17 for Milwaukee..

Without Lilliard and Middleton, Milwaukee is almost horrific.

The best part of the night was the Lopez brother reading a book the entire game. What a weirdo!
Pretty funny. Not sure why he was there given that he had just been traded by the Bucks. Grady and Jim Pete had fun with it. It looked like a library book. No reason to spend his hard earned millions on books when libraries are so easily available, especially electronically.

Minott looks like he's got skills. He's 15-20lbs away from being able to help. Miller looks dazed and confused out there, even in garbage time.

So of the mentioned buyout candidates, who do we want? I'd go with Diniwiddie and Marcus Morris (take some slo mo minutes away)

So of the mentioned buyout candidates, who do we want? I'd go with Diniwiddie and Marcus Morris (take some slo mo minutes away)
I don't think they have the money to compete for anybody in the buyout market who would be helpful. They aren't going into the luxury tax this year no matter what because they will be in the LT next year almost for sure. If a team is in the LT in consecutive years the penalties are compounded.

We are beginning to see the consequences of the comparatively under capitalized new almost owners. There's a recent article in the WSJ that clearly lays out their money issues and how it impacts personnel moves.

We are beginning to see the consequences of the comparatively under capitalized new almost owners. There's a recent article in the WSJ that clearly lays out their money issues and how it impacts personnel moves.

Lol you're still on this bit. You've been saying for years Lore and A-Rod would never become the owners because they didn't have the money. You even complained about the Tim Connelly hire.

Yet here we are.

I don't think they have the money to compete for anybody in the buyout market who would be helpful. They aren't going into the luxury tax this year no matter what because they will be in the LT next year almost for sure. If a team is in the LT in consecutive years the penalties are compounded.

We actually have a little more than a lot of teams to spend on cast-offs.

We actually have a little more than a lot of teams to spend on cast-offs.
From what I've read we are about $1M below the LT plus there's about $2M of the MLE available. However, somebody on GH (most likely ice) said Conley and JMac are owed over $1M of bonuses based on production and team goals that are fairly reachable.

I don't know what kind of space other teams have for buyout players.

Minott looks like he's got skills. He's 15-20lbs away from being able to help. Miller looks dazed and confused out there, even in garbage time.
Miller has potential, he looked good in the summer league games. Can rebound with long wing span, pass and shoot threes.

From what I've read we are about $1M below the LT plus there's about $2M of the MLE available. However, somebody on GH (most likely ice) said Conley and JMac are owed over $1M of bonuses based on production and team goals that are fairly reachable.

From Canus: I read that we are a little under the cap which would mean we could offer a tiny bit more than whatever the minimum would be. I also read that a lot of the teams we might have to face in the playoffs only can offer the minimum.

Lol you're still on this bit. You've been saying for years Lore and A-Rod would never become the owners because they didn't have the money. You even complained about the Tim Connelly hire.

Yet here we are.
Here's where we are. Lore and ARod are still a $400M cash payment away from becoming the controlling owners three years into the acquisition of an undervalued asset. If the WSJ is accurate, these fellows are knocking every money manager's door in the country looking for dollars for an asset type that has never gone down in value. This is a Naz Reid dunk. A KAT three from the top of the key.

Because of your careful grasp of the obvious, your read that I don't like or trust these guys is accurate. There is nothing in ARod's history that could possibly lead someone to trust his intentions. I believe the Lore/ARod end game is to move the franchise unless the state/city fully funds a new state of the art arena. Target Center is economically obsolete. Too many upper deck seats, too few suites. To bring it full circle, Lore/ARod may have to move the team because they won't have the money to compete without the cash infusion of a new building. Possible target markets: Nashville and Mexico City. (Seattle and Vegas are expansion hold backs.)

As for Connelly, Taylor let the new non owners do something sexy. They hired a name. Their "name" waited a mere six or so weeks into a brand new job to execute one of the five most foolish trades in NBA history. A year later we can elevate it to a bad trade. It remains a foolish, impulse deal because Connelly's scouting team did scout Kessler. He and they should have known that Kessler could deliver at least 75% of Gobert at 5% of the cost. The repercussions of the deal will be felt long after the shine of this season wears off. The DLo for Conley plus NAW plus two 2nds trade was excellent.

Lore and ARod might pull this deal off. The fact that they haven't doesn't bode well for a stable future for the franchise.

They do get credit for hiring Michael Grady. I have NBA League Pass and he's easily the best PBP announcer I've heard and a great partner to Jim Pete.

I'm fairly certain that the bonuses for Conley and McGlaughlin are only owed if the team makes the Finals.

Miller has potential, he looked good in the summer league games. Can rebound with long wing span, pass and shoot threes.
He did look good in the summer league. I hadn't seen him on the court in a long time. I was surprised by how unsure he looked, even in garbage time. I didn't know he was sick, so that probably explains it.

Here's where we are. Lore and ARod are still a $400M cash payment away from becoming the controlling owners three years into the acquisition of an undervalued asset. If the WSJ is accurate, these fellows are knocking every money manager's door in the country looking for dollars for an asset type that has never gone down in value. This is a Naz Reid dunk. A KAT three from the top of the key.

Because of your careful grasp of the obvious, your read that I don't like or trust these guys is accurate. There is nothing in ARod's history that could possibly lead someone to trust his intentions. I believe the Lore/ARod end game is to move the franchise unless the state/city fully funds a new state of the art arena. Target Center is economically obsolete. Too many upper deck seats, too few suites. To bring it full circle, Lore/ARod may have to move the team because they won't have the money to compete without the cash infusion of a new building. Possible target markets: Nashville and Mexico City. (Seattle and Vegas are expansion hold backs.)

They're not moving the team to Mexico City, and Nashville is a smaller market that already has two other pro teams. It wouldn't make any sense to move them there either.

As for Connelly, Taylor let the new non owners do something sexy. They hired a name. Their "name" waited a mere six or so weeks into a brand new job to execute one of the five most foolish trades in NBA history. A year later we can elevate it to a bad trade. It remains a foolish, impulse deal because Connelly's scouting team did scout Kessler. He and they should have known that Kessler could deliver at least 75% of Gobert at 5% of the cost. The repercussions of the deal will be felt long after the shine of this season wears off. The DLo for Conley plus NAW plus two 2nds trade was excellent.

This team is nowhere near as good without Gobert this season, and Kessler isn't in the same vicinity as a player as Rudy is. The long term repercussions are minimal. This is a laughable take at this point.

Lore and ARod might pull this deal off. The fact that they haven't doesn't bode well for a stable future for the franchise.

They do get credit for hiring Michael Grady. I have NBA League Pass and he's easily the best PBP announcer I've heard and a great partner to Jim Pete.

Thinking the future of one of the worst run franchises in the history of professional sports is now more unstable with new ownership and one of the best GMs in the game also gave me a nice laugh.

I agree with you on Grady though, I am a fan.

From Canus: I read that we are a little under the cap which would mean we could offer a tiny bit more than whatever the minimum would be. I also read that a lot of the teams we might have to face in the playoffs only can offer the minimum.
My understanding is we have some mid level money left, which doesn't count against cap/tax

Chris Finch breaks down Monte Morris' fit and role with Timberwolves

Morris, who played for Wolves boss Tim Connelly in Denver, will need some time to get acclimated after not playing much of the season..

"He's a winner. He just kind of makes the right play. Super solid, low-turnover guy," Finch said. "He's used to playing off of a lot of star players really well. I think it's a fairly seamless partnership with Mike. It's not like this other type of guard that you have to adjust to. Just his high basketball IQ, you can't have enough of those guys."

Added center Rudy Gobert: "He's a very sound offensive player. Also, he likes to win. He likes to compete and for me that's the most important thing."

Finch was an assistant in Denver but left the year before Morris arrived. He said he had heard nothing but good things about Morris from people in Denver, and that included Wolves President Tim Connelly who made the trade to get Morris on Wednesday before a lot of trades flew around the league Thursday.

As for where Morris' minutes may come from, Finch said he will likely shave some time from starters who have been playing a lot of minutes of late, including Conley.

"There's certainly minutes to be had there," Finch said. "Guys like Jaden [McDaniels] and Mike have been logging heavy minutes. I think with Ant [Anthony Edwards], we've been pushing his minutes out a little bit in this period of time in the run up to the All Star break. Maybe we can steal a couple from him. So I don't think finding minutes will be a problem. It's just we're gonna need to find the right combinations of guys. That's the fun part about it."..

Top Bottom