All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Training camp is essentially upon us.

Hope springs eternal.

This is our year.

Howl Wolves!!

From Anthony Edwards to Vit Krejci, breaking down Timberwolves roster as camp looms​

Bigs​

Starters: PF Karl-Anthony Towns, C Rudy Gobert
Bench: Naz Reid, Luka Garza (two-way), Leonard Miller

Moneymakers: Why waste any time beating around the bush when we can get right to the crux of this team’s roster construction? The Timberwolves made the audacious decision in 2022 to move Towns from center to power forward and acquire Gobert to form a two-big lineup with the vision of a bully-ball style approach. Gobert was supposed to address the defensive and rebounding weaknesses that doomed Minnesota in a playoff loss to Memphis in 2022. But Towns missed 52 games because of injury and Gobert was not the game-changing force in his first season in Minnesota that he was in Utah.

The hope in Year 2 is that the Wolves are more familiar with how to play around Gobert to make it easier for him to be impactful on both ends of the court. Fresh off Towns’ strong performance with the Dominican Republic in the World Cup, the Wolves know they are getting a healthy and fresh player from the outset of training camp after he missed most of it last year with an infection. Gobert also was slowed with a sore knee coming off of a run to the EuroBasket finals with France.

Much more here:

Howl Wolves!!

Wolves preview: One-on-one with Coach Chris Finch​

In a sprawling interview that lasted more than an hour, Finch addresses the Gobert-KAT dynamic, the blossoming of Anthony Edwards into a charismatic All Star and how all the pieces might fit together during the 2023-24 Timberwolves season.

MinnPost: If you asked Wolves fans what the team’s priority should be for the upcoming season, most would answer that it is the ability synergize KAT and Rudy as two big men sharing the court without impeding the ascendance of Ant as a ball-dominant playmaker. Would that line up with what you are thinking?

Chris Finch:
I think for sure that is part of the mission. Obviously we have to do that in the context of winning. But yeah, that’s the mission. From last year we feel we learned enough about what did and didn’t work. (But) we never felt that we were able to get it right. We just didn’t have a runway to make it happen.

Coming into the season, we thought it that it would take 40 to 50 games (to adjust). Ant’s ascendancy probably came quicker than we would have predicted at the beginning of the season. A lot of that was due to Anthony and the work that he has done. And it was also due to the fact that KAT was out 50 games, and a whole new platform was created.

Then it became about Ant and Rudy trying to develop chemistry. There was also some synapse delay in the chemistry that had always existed between KAT and Ant. When KAT came back (in game 74, in late March), we said, “Just get in, we’ll figure it out.” I knew we were never going to really figure it out but we were just trying to get him back in some sort of basketball shape.

Howl Wolves!!

From Anthony Edwards to Vit Krejci, breaking down Timberwolves roster as camp looms​

Bigs​

Starters: PF Karl-Anthony Towns, C Rudy Gobert
Bench: Naz Reid, Luka Garza (two-way), Leonard Miller

Moneymakers: Why waste any time beating around the bush when we can get right to the crux of this team’s roster construction? The Timberwolves made the audacious decision in 2022 to move Towns from center to power forward and acquire Gobert to form a two-big lineup with the vision of a bully-ball style approach. Gobert was supposed to address the defensive and rebounding weaknesses that doomed Minnesota in a playoff loss to Memphis in 2022. But Towns missed 52 games because of injury and Gobert was not the game-changing force in his first season in Minnesota that he was in Utah.

The hope in Year 2 is that the Wolves are more familiar with how to play around Gobert to make it easier for him to be impactful on both ends of the court. Fresh off Towns’ strong performance with the Dominican Republic in the World Cup, the Wolves know they are getting a healthy and fresh player from the outset of training camp after he missed most of it last year with an infection. Gobert also was slowed with a sore knee coming off of a run to the EuroBasket finals with France.

Much more here:

Howl Wolves!!
im excited about miller

But, but, but thought that Damian Lillard was a LOCK to go to Miami?:ROFLMAO:

This is an obvious attempt to placate Giannis with his upcoming Free Agency and rightfully so. With Scoot already in POR, my guess would be another trade is in the works sending Holiday out for more youth/assets.

Ayton is decent but that's a pretty weak return for PHO.

Wolves announced their new radio plans - more streaming, less traditional radio.

from the Strib:

For the first time in franchise history, the radio broadcast of a number of Timberwolves games will not be on traditional AM or FM radio. The organization is taking its broadcasts in a different direction.

As part of a new multimedia partnership with iHeartRadio, all Wolves and Lynx games will be broadcast on a new iHeartRadio channel within the company's app that the Wolves and Lynx are labeling as a one-stop place for the teams' content.

As part of the agreement, select Wolves games will be broadcast on KFXN 100.3-FM, an iHeartRadio station commonly known as KFAN, which takes over the designation as Wolves flagship station from WCCO 830-AM.

The radio broadcasts will also be available through the Wolves and Lynx team apps as well.

"We'll be creating a new, let's call it, a 24-7-365 content channel on the iHeartRadio app, and that's going to be providing Timberwolves and Lynx fans updated news, unlimited team content," Wolves and Lynx CEO Ethan Casson said.

But, but, but thought that Damian Lillard was a LOCK to go to Miami?:ROFLMAO:
I'm sure Jrue Holiday ends up in either Portland or Miami now for about 1/2 the cost. I'm not so sure that isn't the better play.

Holiday/Butler backcourt would be a terror.

Wolves announced their new radio plans - more streaming, less traditional radio.

from the Strib:

For the first time in franchise history, the radio broadcast of a number of Timberwolves games will not be on traditional AM or FM radio. The organization is taking its broadcasts in a different direction..

Nothing special here. They'll be on KFXN 100.3, the old KFAN, except for games where they aren't. Then they'll be online only. Sounds like a much better option than the one the Wolves have already had. That was the one where at times they'd up up on the radio station in what Elk River? The one that hardly anybody could get.

KFAN line-up with

Vikings
Vikings
Vikings
Vikings
Gopher Football
Minnesota Wild with KOOL 108 as the back-up
Gopher Basketball
Timberwolves

Not revolutionary. Just no room.

I'm sure Jrue Holiday ends up in either Portland or Miami now for about 1/2 the cost. I'm not so sure that isn't the better play.

Holiday/Butler backcourt would be a terror.

These guys have 5 possible landing spots for him. Including that Miami spot. Though the Clippers also sound intriguing.

L.A. Clippers: With three former All-Stars already one year from free agency (Kawhi Leonard, Paul George and Russell Westbrook), why not add a fourth? Holiday, George and Leonard is a downright scary defensive threesome, while the Clippers have a collection of expiring deals to match Holiday's salary. The Clippers can't trade a first-round pick until 2028, but the Blazers might be fine with that, since they took 2028, 2029 and 2030 picks in the Lillard trade. Holiday grew up in Los Angeles and played basketball at UCLA, so it could be a good fit. For a team that's moving into a new arena next fall, L.A. might well roll the dice on a local guy — and get his Bird rights — in what could be a "Last Dance" season in the City of Angels.

Jimmy Butler making baseless claims? Shocking huh.:ROFLMAO:

"Yo NBA, man. Y'all need to look into the Bucks for tampering. Y'all do. Just gonna put that out there. Y'all didn't hear it from me, but I heard it through somebody."

This is an obvious attempt to placate Giannis with his upcoming Free Agency and rightfully so. With Scoot already in POR, my guess would be another trade is in the works sending Holiday out for more youth/assets.

Ayton is decent but that's a pretty weak return for PHO.
Depends on what they get on the flip for Holiday; who has the second worst volume shooting % in playoffs the last three years, with Julis Randle being the worst.

Depends on what they get on the flip for Holiday; who has the second worst volume shooting % in playoffs the last three years, with Julis Randle being the worst.
I was referring to the pile of dog poo PHO got for Ayton. POR should be able to get a pick and a younger player for Holiday, and you're right...he absolutely disappears in the playoffs.

Jimmy Butler making baseless claims? Shocking huh.:ROFLMAO:

"Yo NBA, man. Y'all need to look into the Bucks for tampering. Y'all do. Just gonna put that out there. Y'all didn't hear it from me, but I heard it through somebody."

Ahh Jimmy, sounds like you've had a few too many of your $100 cups of coffee.

These guys have 5 possible landing spots for him. Including that Miami spot. Though the Clippers also sound intriguing.

L.A. Clippers: With three former All-Stars already one year from free agency (Kawhi Leonard, Paul George and Russell Westbrook), why not add a fourth? Holiday, George and Leonard is a downright scary defensive threesome, while the Clippers have a collection of expiring deals to match Holiday's salary. The Clippers can't trade a first-round pick until 2028, but the Blazers might be fine with that, since they took 2028, 2029 and 2030 picks in the Lillard trade. Holiday grew up in Los Angeles and played basketball at UCLA, so it could be a good fit. For a team that's moving into a new arena next fall, L.A. might well roll the dice on a local guy — and get his Bird rights — in what could be a "Last Dance" season in the City of Angels.

Yeah, I've seen the Clippers thrown around but they kind of remind me of when the Knicks were floated around. They don't have anything to make the trade - they have expiring contracts and a first round pick in 5 years.

It's also a weird way to describe Jrue Holiday "Holiday grew up in Los Angeles and played basketball at UCLA, so it could be a good fit. For a team that's moving into a new arena next fall, L.A. might well roll the dice on a local guy". He is also a really good basketball player, you don't need to talk the Clippers into the idea that he would help them. The convincing needs to go to Portland.

Yeah, I've seen the Clippers thrown around but they kind of remind me of when the Knicks were floated around. They don't have anything to make the trade - they have expiring contracts and a first round pick in 5 years.

It's also a weird way to describe Jrue Holiday "Holiday grew up in Los Angeles and played basketball at UCLA, so it could be a good fit. For a team that's moving into a new arena next fall, L.A. might well roll the dice on a local guy". He is also a really good basketball player, you don't need to talk the Clippers into the idea that he would help them. The convincing needs to go to Portland.

Indeed. Looking at a number of these "who's gonna trade for Holiday"articles they all have one thing in common. They only outline why the teams could use Holiday. None of them make a case why Portland would be interested in what they'd offer in return.

Hope Portland keeps him until next year's trade deadline.

posted a longer version of this in another thread -

But it looks as if the Wolves will be on BSN this season. Diamond Sports (owner of Bally) has apparently reached a 1-year deal to keep its signal on Comcast and Direct TV, providing badly-needed income. But because of its ongoing bankruptcy issues, Diamond is telling the NBA and NHL teams it carries that Diamond will only be paying the teams 80% of the fees in its contract. that means a loss in revenue for the teams. doesn't hurt NBA teams too much because they get a lot from their National TV deals.

Jrue Holiday goes to the Celtics. Jimmy Butler calls for FBI to investigate?

"The Portland Trail Blazers are trading guard Jrue Holiday to the Boston Celtics, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Celtics are trading Robert Williams III, Malcolm Brogdon, a protected 2024 first-round pick acquired from the Golden State Warriors and the team's own 2029 unprotected first-rounder to the Blazers, according to sources."

Heavy on offense, Timberwolves would like to be known as a defensive team​

Two seasons ago, the Timberwolves had one of the league's best offenses in the second half of the season. Their defense ranked 13th in efficiency for the year, and that combination of an elite offense and a passable defense was enough to get them in the playoffs.

With the acquisition of Rudy Gobert and a major injury to Karl-Anthony Towns, that dynamic flipped last season. The Wolves were 23rd in offensive efficiency, 10th in defense.

Coach Chris Finch made his reputation in the NBA primarily on the offensive end of the floor, but when asked last week if he thought the Wolves should be a defense-first team, if that should be the team's identity, Finch was unflinching in his answer.

"It has to be. It absolutely has to be," Finch said. "I say that just because we have the personnel to do that and be that on and off the ball and at the rim."

Howl Wolves!!

Top Bottom