All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

I think the refs are supposed to judge whether the shooter lunged forward in an "unnatural way" versus the defender jumping into his space. I do think that both occurred on the play, and I don't know what the officials are told to do in that kind of case. Although I thought it was one of the least egregious calls of the night, it WAS a tough way for KAT to foul out.
If McDaniels were to fly into Luka the exact same way, they would call the foul on McDaniels without even blinking. Same thing if it was Towns flying into Luka.

That's the crap that we all know would happen. That's why it's so disgusting.

No question. My uncertainty is what are they supposed to call when the defender also invades the shooters space--when both happen.
IMO, he didn't invade his space at all. The contact was 100% created by Luka. It is one of the most annoying plays in basketball, and they aren't supposed to call it like that anymore. Luke had to lunge significantly forward (unnaturally) just to even have contact. I think it was a terrible call.

before you can start thinking/planning for next season, you have to know who the owner(s) are going to be, and whether the owner(s) have the financial resources and willingness to pay the luxury tax.

if the owner(s) can't or won't pay the luxury tax, then one of the high-priced players has to go.

that is entirely separate from the question of roster construction, and whether the Wolves could potentially improve the team by replacing one of the existing players with a different player who brings some different abilities.

in a perfect world, you'd like to see a younger PG groomed to replace Conley, or a SG/SF type who could come in and hit 3's - like a Malik Beasley without the off-court issues.

but if you can't afford to pay everyone, then everything becomes secondary to the budget/payroll/luxury tax issues.

before you can start thinking/planning for next season, you have to know who the owner(s) are going to be, and whether the owner(s) have the financial resources and willingness to pay the luxury tax.

if the owner(s) can't or won't pay the luxury tax, then one of the high-priced players has to go.

that is entirely separate from the question of roster construction, and whether the Wolves could potentially improve the team by replacing one of the existing players with a different player who brings some different abilities.

in a perfect world, you'd like to see a younger PG groomed to replace Conley, or a SG/SF type who could come in and hit 3's - like a Malik Beasley without the off-court issues.

but if you can't afford to pay everyone, then everything becomes secondary to the budget/payroll/luxury tax issues.
We have the second oldest arena in the NBA outside of Madison Square Garden. The revenue isn't what it could be.

Taylor was supposedly not wanting to sell due to the other group wanting to go under the luxury tax which would mean getting rid of one of our high salary guys. This is a massive factor going forward.

Had the wolves stayed the same wolves, we probably don't get an arena. They will get one now with what they have done and should do moving forward.

My understanding is arbitration won't take place for months. Then the league will still have to approve. Taylor will be the man in charge to start the season. A-Rod and Lore are probably up a creek on payroll next season.

Then, the new media rights deal will kick in the following season, with massive money and a larger cap.

Taylor may have already saved Towns from getting traded.

Anyone going to game 5 or 7?
image_3909188f-ff4b-4e23-bbc9-9e15abc82bf9_grande.jpg

Then the superstar gets the call. 100 out of 100 times. That's what sucks!K
And here is what really pisses one off about it............if Luka goes into KAT or Ant.......the foul is on KAT or ANT

If ANT or KAT go into Luka, the foul is on KAT or ANT

My understanding is arbitration won't take place for months. Then the league will still have to approve. Taylor will be the man in charge to start the season. A-Rod and Lore are probably up a creek on payroll next season.

Then, the new media rights deal will kick in the following season, with massive money and a larger cap.

Taylor may have already saved Towns from getting traded.

I think that a transfer of ownership (if it occurs)would happen in the offseason and not during the middle of one.

Show me that please.

Thanks

Back in December/January. Same 2-3 guys that had been screaming the same thing on the Gopher football and basketball sites. Why they bothered to come over here I don't know. One of them at least has made some recent appearances.

4 games decided by 8 points in total.
And I don't know that we've even p;layed that well. Hell, last night, we had all sorts of guys in foul trouble and all kinds of chances to put them away earlier.

The Timberwolves were outscored from 3, shot 64% from the free throw line, allowed 30 points off of turnovers, and KAT and Ant combined for 10 turnovers and 11 fouls, yet they won.​

I'd love to see us blow them out tomorrow night. Everyone plays their best game.

We need to learn how to play better at home in the playoffs.

Last edited:

IMO, he didn't invade his space at all. The contact was 100% created by Luka. It is one of the most annoying plays in basketball, and they aren't supposed to call it like that anymore. Luke had to lunge significantly forward (unnaturally) just to even have contact. I think it was a terrible call.
I think it was a questionable call, but I saw multiple way worse calls in the same game. We could break it down Zapruder-like, but I don't think it's as clear cut as some are making it out to be--on both sides.

Have you forgotten that Towns missed 10 games and played in 62. That's your comparison? They did better in those 10 games and it was all because of Naz starting?

Seem to remember that you were gonna tell us the difference in Reid's performance against starters as opposed to subs.

Notice you forgotten about that. Or did you actually look it up and decided not to use it because it didn't support your position? Taking you off ignore is always a mistake.:drink:

Oh and you were also gonna give us a list of players that the Wolves could trade Towns for where the salaries would match-up. Got that completed yet?

For starters you should work on your math. 82 - 62 is 20 games, not 10, and that's 1/4th of the season, which is not a small sample size.

Naz doesn't just play against subs, he regularly plays against starters and plays well. Thanks for admitting again that you either don't watch the games, or don't comprehend what you're seeing, which is why all you post on this site is a regurgitation of media articles or box scores. When you actually post your own opinion, it's laughably stupid, like this one.

I guess Naz's game sealing bucket last night must not have been against starters after Towns stupidly fouled out, again. Naz is so bad against starters that they benched Towns in favor of Naz to end game 3.

Connelly can find a way to make contracts work with multiple teams. The main concern is does another team actually want to take Towns super talent, horrific contract, and 10 cent head? If only you were the GM of another team that would take him, how can we make that happen?

It was supposed to happen during this season.

Thanks for the info.

I certainly haven’t been following it, as much as I would if I was GopherInMn; just thought it would be cleaner to do so in the offseason. However, I could be wrong, I often am - this happy often when I’m thinking 🧐.

This was a total offensive foul that the NBA says they are trying to rid of. But look at his feet. Both of his feet are inside the 3 point line. He somehow gets both feet behind the three point line without traveling. That is traveling all day and all night. I mean look at it.

Oh, and the exact same thing happened on his game winner. A total travel.

Excellent points.

And I don't know that we've even p;layed that well. Hell, last night, we had all sorts of guys in foul trouble and all kinds of chances to put them away earlier.

The Timberwolves were outscored from 3, shot 64% from the free throw line, allowed 30 points off of turnovers, and KAT and Ant combined for 10 turnovers and 11 fouls, yet they won.​

I'd love to see us blow them out tomorrow night. Everyone plays their best game.

We need to learn how to play better at home in the playoffs.

Good post - that’s why I have hope; if we play a complete game and have a solid win by 8-10 points, them chaps are gonna get pretty tight in Texas for a game 6.

I think it was a questionable call, but I saw multiple way worse calls in the same game. We could break it down Zapruder-like, but I don't think it's as clear cut as some are making it out to be--on both sides.
Even if they put Luka and Kyrie in a bubble….

I wish they’d at least call the fouls on the Mavs Centers (Gaffords and Lively) when they make hard contact with off arm, or come down on the arms of our guys near the basket.

If that happened, Mavs couldn’t win a game.

Only to hear their played raved about. Then the highlights are shown, and there are crystal clear fouls time and again. No Gafford and Lively are not dominating two of the NBA best centers, they’re getting away with whatever they want. Now if you’re allowing that play on Gobert/Towns, but not on the other end of course they look good, while we are playing with 4 and 5 fouls.

On the KAT and Naz Reid thing.........don't forget that Naz can opt out after next year. He can make more money if he does opt out.

He can just literally leave us.

On the KAT and Naz Reid thing.........don't forget that Naz can opt out after next year. He can make more money if he does opt out.

He can just literally leave us.
I think a long-term decision on Reid will be made long before he can exercise his option.

SloMo had 5 screen assists which lead to 13 points, per the recap on the NBA Today, today

Big Perk also said KG is supposed to be in building for game 5 and also predicts a Wolves smack down.

I think a long-term decision on Reid will be made long before he can exercise his option.

Then that means moving KAT or Rudy will have to occur this offseason. Without that, the Wolves won't have the money or starting position that Naz can get from pretty much every other team in the league by the end of next season.

Big Perk also said KG is supposed to be in building for game 5 and also predicts a Wolves smack down.
Does anyone care what that douche nozzle thinks after he said his biggest regret in his media career was voting Gobert as DPOTY?

Thanks for the info.

I certainly haven’t been following it, as much as I would if I was GopherInMn; just thought it would be cleaner to do so in the offseason. However, I could be wrong, I often am - this happy often when I’m thinking 🧐.

that is what the current dispute comes down to. AFraud and Lore were buying the team in installments. a payment was due this Spring which would have made them majority owners. But Glen T. said the payment was not made by the deadline and that meant the deal was off. AFraud and Lore counted by claiming that they had the money lined up and they had submitted their paperwork to the league office, which supposedly gets them a 90-day extension on the deadline.

dispute went to mediation with no results. now it goes to binding arbitration, which is required to take place sometime this year, most likely in the Summer.

worth noting - if the 3-person panel of arbitrators finds in favor of AFraud and Lore, their purchase of the team still has to be approved by the NBA Board of Governors (i.e. the other owners).

so based on my understanding of the timetable, it is possible for the ownership dispute to be settled before the start of the next season - but that hinges on how soon arbitration takes place, and then what, if any, action is required by the Board of Governors.

Top Bottom