All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Frustrating to be sure. Being outscored in the paint by such a large margin was the most stunning thing about the loss.

Though considering how badly the Wolves were out coached, how awful Conley and NAW were, how badly Towns played for most of the game, and how Edwards disappeared at times, it took a 7-2 run in the last 3 minutes for Dallas to turn a road loss into a road win. The Wolves were still ahead by 1 with two minutes to go!

And that points in the paint differential? Gobert is getting a lot of heat today for it but he was actually +10 for the game. By far the best +/- on the team.

Change the defensive scheme. Don't be so afraid of the 3 that you sell out to stop it. Add in a little rest from the 7 game high altitude series against Denver and things may look a little better.

(Not even gonna mention the b.s. goaltending call that would have tied the game at 104)

Last edited:

Frustrating to be sure. Being outscored in the paint by such a large margin was the most stunning thing about the loss.

Though considering how badly the Wolves were out coached, how awful Conley and NAW were, how badly Towns played for most of the game, and how Edwards disappeared at times, it took a 7-2 run in the last 3 minutes for Dallas to turn a road loss into a road win. The Wolves were still ahead by 1 with two minutes to go!

And that points in the paint differential? Gobert is getting a lot of heat today for it but he was actually +10 for the game. By far the best +/- on the team.

Change the defensive scheme. Don't be so afraid of the 3 that you sell out to stop it. Add in a little rest from the 7 game high altitude series against Denver and things may look a little better.

(Not even gonna mention the b.s. goaltending call that would have tied the game at 104)
Is +/- now the final word? For instance, Denver game 7, Naz was -5 at half after a visibly bad 1st half. And -5 for the game after a visibly impressive second half.

What the analysis apparently misses is a 7 footer who, no matter what, can't cleanly catch, rebound or otherwise handle a basketball and is therefore left out of the offensive sequence. How many rebounds go through his hands? Do I believe the +/- or my lying eyes?

Is +/- now the final word? For instance, Denver game 7, Naz was -5 at half after a visibly bad 1st half. And -5 for the game after a visibly impressive second half.

What the analysis apparently misses is a 7 footer who, no matter what, can't cleanly catch, rebound or otherwise handle a basketball and is therefore left out of the offensive sequence. How many rebounds go through his hands? Do I believe the +/- or my lying eyes?

"Do I believe the +/- or my lying eyes?" swede2

You're saying that Gobert "clearly can't catch or rebound a basketball"?

You should never believe your lying eyes.;)

Dallas is really good, or they wouldn't have gotten this far. Irving was a frickin' machine last night, and I fear something is wrong physically with Edwards. Overall, their best players played better than our best players. That needs to change.

We've seen how things can ebb and flow in a 7-game series. My advice to myself is to just enjoy the spectacle.

Who knew the Swedes had implicit bias towards the French? Implicit bias = Jury duty

Last edited:

Cleanly, not clearly.

and I fear something is wrong physically with Edwards.

We've seen how things can ebb and flow in a 7-game series.
Ant has to be hurt. Has he been showing up on injury reports? He does not appear to have the same energy and explosiveness. He'd never admit to it but my guess is we'll hear after the season that he's been playing through pain. He's not been the same since that hard fall. He sat a long time to start the second last night. He hasn't reacted quickly or well enough when the doubles come.

Wolves shooting just needs to be better. Dallas is going to clog the lane and let our guys jack up jumpers and dare the Wolves to beat them from outside.

Ant has to be hurt. Has he been showing up on injury reports? He does not appear to have the same energy and explosiveness. He'd never admit to it but my guess is we'll hear after the season that he's been playing through pain. He's not been the same since that hard fall. He sat a long time to start the second last night. He hasn't reacted quickly or well enough when the doubles come.

Wolves shooting just needs to be better. Dallas is going to clog the lane and let our guys jack up jumpers and dare the Wolves to beat them from outside.

Everyone is hurt in one way or another at this juncture in the playoffs after a full regular season; it’s part of it.

Everyone is hurt in one way or another at this juncture in the playoffs after a full regular season; it’s part of it.
There's a difference between hurt and injured. He's playing like they should be listing him for something.

His back.

There's a difference between hurt and injured. He's playing like they should be listing him for something.

What difference would that make to the team? Or in the results?

He’s playing unless he’s missing an extremity.

Gophers time?
I think we've done the "hire someone who's never been a division 1 head coach" thing enough. It's not the same and the transition usually doesn't work in either direction. Maybe it does in the new NIL era, but I'm not inclined to find out.

I think we've done the "hire someone who's never been a division 1 head coach" thing enough. It's not the same and the transition usually doesn't work in either direction. Maybe it does in the new NIL era, but I'm not inclined to find out.
It'd be a step up from not having any head coaching experience.

Rudy didn't let that happen. It was their strategy on the pick and roll. They doubled hard on Doncic in the paint, and they left open the easy dunks and lay-ups in order to control the Mavs' 3-point game.

They needed to make Doncic take mid-range jumpers or double-high beyond the arc to prevent the easy dunks below the basket in the 1st half.

Sure.....but I am referring more to getting beat on the glass. Lively was just outworking Rudy and Kat.

What difference would that make to the team? Or in the results?

He’s playing unless he’s missing an extremity.
It's against the rules to conceal a significant injury. Knowing this franchise, they'd end up getting sanctioned for such a thing. In any case, the fans are interested in knowing what's going on, and we pay the bills.

It's against the rules to conceal a significant injury. Knowing this franchise, they'd end up getting sanctioned for such a thing. In any case, the fans are interested in knowing what's going on, and we pay the bills.
With all the gambling stuff, I'm sure the NBA would not go easy on that.

These games are every other day now. Pound on them and grind them out.

They will fold eventually.

Mark rosen sounds just like Sid Hartman. Odd how similar their voices are…..were

That's excellent.
Full Finch Quote

“Yeah, it was a rough film session. I told the guys, ‘It’s been a long time since I’ve been this disappointed in your effort. Your performance, your attitude, your application and attention to detail just wasn’t there.’ The Western Conference finals started. Not sure if they got the memo. But they got it this afternoon.”

Last edited:

New coach FO and Mr. Titanic.

Last time I checked, the owners pay the bills🥳. That attitude is akin to telling a cop/civil servant that they better get stepping, as you pay their salary💪

Nice aggrieved fan take never; it made my day and give me a big ole 😁

You keep being you!

Last edited:

Full Finch Quote

“Yeah, it was a rough film session. I told the guys, ‘It’s been a long time since I’ve been this disappointed in your effort. Your performance, your attitude, your application and attention to detail just wasn’t there.’ The Western Conference finals started. Not sure if they got the memo. But they got it this afternoon.”
Their poor performance reflected poorly on Finch, as a lot of voices are talking about how the Wolves got outcoached, so he's well justified in being salty. I didn't see it as being outcoached as much as out-executed. Besides the performance of the two stars on each team, the linchpin was key turnovers at key times, particularly down the stretch. When this team takes care of the ball, they're hard to beat.

New coach FO and Mr. Titanic.

Last time I checked, the owners pay the bills🥳. That attitude is akin to telling a cop/civil servant that they better get stepping, as you pay their salary💪

Nice aggrieved fan take never; it made my day and give me a big ole 😁

You keep being you!
You would have to cite the most toxic example of public servant, wouldn't you? ;) Some of us in other branches of the public sector act with better a better service ethic.

In any case, the rules about reporting injuries are to be taken seriously. I don't follow the NBA closely, so I don't know how common it is to flout those rules.

Top Bottom