All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Doesn't sound like it's going to be Mayfield, though.

It's unclear who the Browns' starter will be to open the season, but it certainly doesn't look like it will be Baker Mayfield. The Browns excused the 2018 No. 1 overall pick from mandatory minicamp, which starts next week.
  • Mayfield requested a trade in mid-March, and, while he's still on Cleveland's roster, he doesn't appear to be part of the plan going forward.
  • The Browns are unwilling to cut Mayfield , because they're on the hook for paying him nearly $19 million this season whether he plays or not.
  • There's uncertainty surrounding Deshaun Watson, who is now facing 24 civil lawsuits alleging sexual misconduct (see yesterday's newsletter for more details regarding that).
  • The remaining quarterbacks on Cleveland's roster are Jacoby Brissett and Joshua Dobbs, both acquired this offseason.
Because his absence is excused, Mayfield won't face the fines he normally would for not attending this portion of the offseason workout program. The Browns, though, have put themselves in a quarterback quandary: They have no control over if/when Watson will be available -- or even when a decision will be made -- and are now actively keeping Mayfield away from the team in a no-win situation.

Mayfield has promise- but then I recall last year and him missing receivers by amounts that simply not seen in the nfl. Hmmm… I wouldn’t risk my career taking him at this point.

Can't believe Stefanski let his security blanket Case Keenum walk....

No. Why would he do that?
I can't tell if your no is solely based off of "why would he do that?" or if there is some technical reason it would not be allowed.

Spotrac says that if the Browns trade him, they have no dead cap.

I didn't ask why he would do that, I asked if it was technically possible. To answer your question: isn't playing better than not playing? (starting for an NFL team, at that)

I can't tell if your no is solely based off of "why would he do that?" or if there is some technical reason it would not be allowed.

Spotrac says that if the Browns trade him, they have no dead cap.

I didn't ask why he would do that, I asked if it was technically possible. To answer your question: isn't playing better than not playing? (starting for an NFL team, at that)
Both. His cap # is $18 million. I'm not sure how none of it is signing bonus. But there's also no reason he'd agree to a massive pay cut, especially to be the Vikings backup.

Last edited:

Mayfield had Leidner like misses last year. Google em. You simply do not see this in the NFL.
Good analogy. Mayfield played hurt for a big chunk of the season last year and so did Leidner at Minnesota. Though by all accounts Mayfield demanded to play when he was hurt and, with the Gophers lack of QB depth, which was on the Head Coach, Leidner may have had no choice but to play.

Both became victims off their hardheadedness and fans attitude. Fans demand players play hurt and then complain if they don't play well.

At least Mayfield got paid for it.

Sep 19, 2021NFLShoulder Labrum TearMayfield suffered a partially torn labrum in his left shoulder in the Browns' Sept. 19 win over the Texans. He is will continue to play through the ailment.
Oct 17, 2021NFLShoulder Labrum TearMayfield reinjured his left shoulder during the Week 6 loss to the Cardinals. He was sidelined for one game.
Nov 14, 2021NFLKnee Strain Grade 1Mayfield was forced out of Week 10's game against the Patriots with a knee issue. He was good for the next game
Jan 3, 2022NFLShoulder Labrum TearMayfield missed the season finale against the Bengals as he had surgery to address a torn labrum in his left shoulder.

I wasn't even thinking about salary cap issues.

Just saying that, if the choice at QB was Mannion, Mond or Mayfield, I would take Mayfield based solely on playing ability and experience. (assuming he is healthy, of course).

hey, maybe Mond is a diamond in the rough and O'Connell can "coach him up" into a viable NFL QB.

but, depending on which sources you agree with, there were reports last year from people who saw Mond in practice that were not very promising.

Mayfield had Leidner like misses last year. Google em. You simply do not see this in the NFL.
You see it if the QB and the receiver were not on the same page about what the route was supposed to be. But that would be the main reason, I would think.

The op was that he'd be a better backup than Mond or Mannion.
If Cousins gets hurt, I would take Mayfield before I throw Mannion or Mond to the wolves.

I read this as "if we lost Cousins, I'd go get Mayfield". In other words, same thing as getting Sam Bradford when Teddy went down.

If Cousins gets hurt, I would take Mayfield before I throw Mannion or Mond to the wolves.

I read this as "if we lost Cousins, I'd go get Mayfield". In other words, same thing as getting Sam Bradford when Teddy went down.
Still not an option due to the salary cap. Bridgewater was still cheap so we could afford to go get Bradford. Cousins is....not cheap.

If he believes he can be a starter again after sitting on the bench for the Browns even with Watson out … more power to him.

I say, he’d be willing to sign a new cheap deal — that we could actually afford — in the scenario where Cousins goes down for the season.

You can say that’s crazy, but we wouldn’t know for sure u less it happens.

If he believes he can be a starter again after sitting on the bench for the Browns even with Watson out … more power to him.

I say, he’d be willing to sign a new cheap deal — that we could actually afford — in the scenario where Cousins goes down for the season.

You can say that’s crazy, but we wouldn’t know for sure u less it happens.
He will likely be the Browns starter. This is all a game of chicken.

That I can buy. Obviously we will see.

It is a far-fetched scenario to have Cousins go down for the season and fairly early in the season, have Watson be declared ineligible this season, and the Browns elect to keep Mayfield on the bench at $18M cap hit.

But in that case .....

So this thread at 67 pages is now a few more than the 2021 Vikings In Season discussion. So is the offseason more popular than actual football games?!?

Granted this may be an outlier with the changes at GM & Coach.

Most of the arrests are from the Green-Tice lawless days.
How many of those were guys speeding back to Mankato from Minneapolis trying to make curfew after having a few? No need anymore. We'll probably get surpassed....

Most of the arrests are from the Green-Tice lawless days.

If the Bloomington Police hadn't acted as a personal service department of the Vikings during their days out at Metropolitan Stadium, the Van Brocklin/ Grant years would have blown them all
away.

Though that was probably the case at any Suburban NFL stadium.

Last edited:

Top Bottom