All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Kiffin is a clown show. God bless the internet and Twitter where some rando can throw something out as pure speculation, and people get riled up about it. Kiffin will last no more than 2 more seasons as Ole Miss, but I agree with you that there is an almost zero chance he's here. The Wilfs actually seem like they run a pretty straight ship, and Kiffin is way too much of a wild card. Plus, the way he runs fast and loose means he's more tailored for the college game with less oversight. Raiders it made total sense, not so much here.

I used to agree that Kiffin is a total clown show, but I've backed off that stance. He is obviously a competent coach because he keeps winning at a variety of different jobs, and he does it quickly.

I'd rather roll the dice with Kiffin over a number the of the other failed retreads - like Todd Bowles or Josh McDaniels.

This is a 3-5 year decision. It would be a huge mistake.
In the nfl there is no such thing as a 3-5 year decision.
The jaguars had a second half lead in the AFC title game 4 seasons ago.

I assume the plan is to hire a GM first and then the HC? Seems like the GM needs to get his own guy.
I don't understand why people think this.

To me, a GM should manage the roster and listen to the Head Coach on "I need thing type of guy to do this, this type of guy to do this, and this other guy for this spot", then go out and get the best players he can find for that. And of course work with Coach in the same sense for the draft each year.

The GM should have absolutely nothing to do with managing the coaching or scheme/philosophy, at all.

I see the GM and Head Coach reporting equally up to the owner or whatever the executive structure is.

I don't care about defense or offense. Get a good leader who will let his coordinators do their job. The Chargers new coach is a former DC but it he's letting Herbert do his thing.
I'm sure there are more than zero, but feels like off the top of my head that almost all the HC's on the good teams are calling the plays for one of the sides of the ball.

You don't need a "salesman, spokesman, let the OC and DC do their jobs" guy, like it is in college.

Just seems to be different that way, for whatever reason.

Certainly, there still is a coordinator on whatever side that is, but that person is more on the assisting side with game-planning and maybe is up in the booth giving perspective on what he sees that way.

Flores and Leftwich top my wish list at this point.

Hope we don't lose out on the best hc candidate because we are behind in the process.

In the nfl there is no such thing as a 3-5 year decision.
The jaguars had a second half lead in the AFC title game 4 seasons ago.
Outside of Les Steckel, the Vikings have never given a coach less than 3 seasons.

Outside of Les Steckel, the Vikings have never given a coach less than 3 seasons.
That has nothing to do with what I said

If the Vikings made a bad hire they wouldn’t be outside the norm to make a change after 1-2 seasons.

what happened in 1969 has nothing to do with the Vikings ability to make a choice before 3-5 years of the next coach

Kiffin is a clown show. God bless the internet and Twitter where some rando can throw something out as pure speculation, and people get riled up about it. Kiffin will last no more than 2 more seasons as Ole Miss, but I agree with you that there is an almost zero chance he's here. The Wilfs actually seem like they run a pretty straight ship, and Kiffin is way too much of a wild card. Plus, the way he runs fast and loose means he's more tailored for the college game with less oversight. Raiders it made total sense, not so much here.
Kiffin is an OK college coach. But his 20 games with the Raiders means nothing. And the track record of college coaches making the jump is pretty awful. Hard pass.

I used to agree that Kiffin is a total clown show, but I've backed off that stance. He is obviously a competent coach because he keeps winning at a variety of different jobs, and he does it quickly.

I'd rather roll the dice with Kiffin over a number the of the other failed retreads - like Todd Bowles or Josh McDaniels.
I would take him over Josh McDaniels. I would bring Zim back before hiring McDaniels.

In my book, the GM and HC must agree on the overall direction of the team, and ideally they should agree on a general philosophy for offense and defense.

If the GM is drafting players the HC doesn't want, it's a waste of assets.

As I've said before:
in a successful organization, they evaluate their needs. If they have a round hole to fill, they go out and find a round peg that fits in the hole.

in a bad organization, they go out and acquire a square peg, and they tell the coach/manager, "make it fit." and when things don't work, they want credit for trying to fix the problem - when their solution was trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.

In my book, the GM and HC must agree on the overall direction of the team, and ideally they should agree on a general philosophy for offense and defense.

If the GM is drafting players the HC doesn't want, it's a waste of assets.

As I've said before:
in a successful organization, they evaluate their needs. If they have a round hole to fill, they go out and find a round peg that fits in the hole.

in a bad organization, they go out and acquire a square peg, and they tell the coach/manager, "make it fit." and when things don't work, they want credit for trying to fix the problem - when their solution was trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.

If the GM hires the coach, I would think that in and of itself would almost guarantee that the GM and coach are 'on the same page'. The questions the GM would ask the potential coaching hire would clarify whether or not the coach is simpatico with the GM's football philosophy and his ideas as to the direction of the team.

Joe Schmidt asked (first question of the presser) if the Wilfs were going to hire the GM before they hired a coach. Mark Wilf made it pretty clear in his answer that the GM hire comes first, although he also said the two searches (GM and coach) were beginning immediately.

REPORT: Vikings to Interview Doug Pederson for Head Coaching Job​

Paul Allen show this morning on KFAN was.......interesting.

at one point, he was quoting bible verses as his way of showing compassion and support to Zimmer and Spielman.

I'm not kidding when I say it sounded like a member of his family had died.

9-12 is pretty much unlistenable.

Paul Charchian would be way better in that slot.

Trades are rare in the NFL. So "just Jefferson" is a bit over the top.

I wouldn't trade: O'Neill, Darrisaw, Cleveland, Mattison, Jefferson, Osborne, Wonnum, Vigil, Bynum. Maybe a couple others.

I said he would be the only untouchable. I didn't say trade everyone else. I'd be open to trading everyone else for the right price, but obviously wouldn't send them all away unless of course the price was correct all things considered.

Again, only guy I would not trade would be Jefferson, everyone else I would hear offers for but in the end, only a couple would ever get to the point of being traded.

I said he would be the only untouchable. I didn't say trade everyone else. I'd be open to trading everyone else for the right price, but obviously wouldn't send them all away unless of course the price was correct all things considered.

Again, only guy I would not trade would be Jefferson, everyone else I would hear offers for but in the end, only a couple would ever get to the point of being traded.
Jefferson is probably the only one that would net "over priced" trade offers though. I would evaluate everyone on "will you still help me in 2023/24?" and if yes, they stay. Trade Cousins. Cook. Perhaps Thielen and Smith if they can get you anything.

I think it makes sense to hire the GM first to buy off on your coaching hire, but your head coach is the big money person. Your GM is going to get a fraction of the coaches salary.

The way the difference in money is there, you almost need your head coach making the decisions and the GM supporting the head coaches direction.
I think many teams are still doing it the other way around which is probably why Zimmer and Spielman no longer loved each other.

I think it makes sense to hire the GM first to buy off on your coaching hire, but your head coach is the big money person. Your GM is going to get a fraction of the coaches salary.

The way the difference in money is there, you almost need your head coach making the decisions and the GM supporting the head coaches direction.
I think many teams are still doing it the other way around which is probably why Zimmer and Spielman no longer loved each other.

Yes, and there are some rather obvious ways the Vikings can save even more money.

For example, there are many, many well-qualified GM candidates right here on GopherHole who would probably leap at the chance to work for less than 'scale'.

The same applies when it comes to hiring a new offensive coordinator.

9-12 is pretty much unlistenable.

Paul Charchian would be way better in that slot.
Oh yes, fantasy football and the lastest gaming. Riveting stuff!

Hahahaha charch? His voice is awful and he has a single intonation. High.
Oh yes, fantasy football and the lastest gaming. Riveting stuff!
yeh and crap voice that is always amazed.

Top Bottom