All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

It's starting to feel that way. If he doesn't, I would think that means McVay retires and KOC takes over the Rams.
That would be so crazy and so very Vikings to have this happen. You’d think that they would’ve thought of this scenario and talked through it with KOC though right??

It's starting to feel that way. If he doesn't, I would think that means McVay retires and KOC takes over the Rams.
McVay's not retiring and if he did, there's no way the NFL would allow them to just name KOC his successor, especially with Raheem Morris right there. KOC would have to turn down the Vikings job and then hope he's the pick 2 weeks from now after a full coaching search. Not a wise gamble.

I'm not going to rest easy until I see him at the podium. Of course the Vikings are planning to introduce him Thursday, and for all we know, these league sources are the Vikings putting the pressure on O'Connell to make good on his commitment.

I'm not going to rest easy until I see him at the podium. Of course the Vikings are planning to introduce him Thursday, and for all we know, these league sources are the Vikings putting the pressure on O'Connell to make good on his commitment.
Supposedly pen has been put to paper already. Maybe we can trade him back to the Rams except they don't have a 1st round pick until like 2025.

McVay's not retiring and if he did, there's no way the NFL would allow them to just name KOC his successor, especially with Raheem Morris right there. KOC would have to turn down the Vikings job and then hope he's the pick 2 weeks from now after a full coaching search. Not a wise gamble.

The Rams can hire whoever they want. They could 'interview' both and choose KOC.

KOC wouldn't turn down the Vikings if he didn't have the Rams coaching job locked up.

The Rams can hire whoever they want. They could 'interview' both and choose KOC.

KOC wouldn't turn down the Vikings if he didn't have the Rams coaching job locked up.
He can't "lock up" the Ram's job in the next 48 hours. He'd have to turn the Vikings down and take his chances. If there's no press conference by Thursday this is a story. Until then it's silly Vikings' fan paranoia.

Press conference Thursday. This fear-mongering fatalism is over the top, even for jaded MN fans.

PA was the one who fueled this not long ago on his radio show saying Thursday's event had been canceled. Then Schefter came out with the report not long after.

Nothing is official until the Vikings confirm it and introduce him.

He can't "lock up" the Ram's job in the next 48 hours. He'd have to turn the Vikings down and take his chances. If there's no press conference by Thursday this is a story. Until then it's silly Vikings' fan paranoia.

I don't think it would take long for the Rams to decide between two coaches who work for them....they know far more than what's being reported. Good grief.

PA was the one who fueled this not long ago on his radio show saying Thursday's event had been canceled. Then Schefter came out with the report not long after.

I just can't wait for the press conference to hear everyone talk more about collaboration and inclusiveness.

who knows, maybe one of the reporters will even be brave enough to ask an actual football-related question.

at the GM press conference, there was only one "football" question and Kwesi dodged it.

I guarantee that KOC will avoid answering any question about Cousins or the QB position.

I don't think it would take long for the Rams to decide between two coaches who work for them....they know far more than what's being reported. Good grief.
They can't only interview those two and pick one. And I doubt McVay has even decided anything, let alone told the brass, who have already decided who's getting the job.

PA never makes mistakes!

They can't only interview those two and pick one. And I doubt McVay has even decided anything, let alone told the brass, who have already decided who's getting the job.
I would also think McVay hasn’t decided anything at this point, probably just enjoying the moment. For what it’s worth Frank Reich is the last guy I can think of that was in KOC’s position (Winning OC to be hired as HC). He was not officially announced as the Colts next HC until a week after the Super Bowl. The planned announcement on Thursday is literally the day after the super bowl parade in LA. People gotta calm down.

It only takes 4 hours to satisfy the Rooney rule. The Rams know what they have internally. This is not the first time McVay has talked about retiring if they win the Super Bowl. They have watched coordinator after coordinator under McVay get hired for head coaching positions, and they definitely have contingency plans in place for McVay and other coordinators.

The KOC delay could be related to McVay making a decision.

I would also think McVay hasn’t decided anything at this point, probably just enjoying the moment. For what it’s worth Frank Reich is the last guy I can think of that was in KOC’s position (Winning OC to be hired as HC). He was not officially announced as the Colts next HC until a week after the Super Bowl. People gotta calm down.

That's because the Colts were set to hire McDaniels, then he burned him the day Schefter reported he was going to be the next head coach of the Colts....They were then forced to pivot to Reich in a short amount of time.

The McDaniels announcement by Schefter to the Colts came 2 days after the Super Bowl in 2018...

That's because the Colts were set to hire McDaniels, then he burned him the day Schefter reported he was going to be the next head coach of the Colts....They were then forced to pivot to Reich in a short amount of time.

The McDaniels announcement by Schefter to the Colts came 2 days after the Super Bowl in 2018...
Shoot, always forget about McDaniels. Still no reason to worry at this point. KOC will be in LA for the parade on Wednesday and be in Minnesota on Thursday.

It only takes 4 hours to satisfy the Rooney rule. The Rams know what they have internally. This is not the first time McVay has talked about retiring if they win the Super Bowl. They have watched coordinator after coordinator under McVay get hired for head coaching positions, and they definitely have contingency plans in place for McVay and other coordinators.

The KOC delay could be related to McVay making a decision.
Theoretically, yes. But Morris is every bit as qualified, arguably more so. The last thing the league or Rams want is the appearance of rushing Morris and another minority candidate through an interview so they can hurry up and anoint KOC.

Or it could be he wants to go to the parade and will be in MN the very next day.

One thing on the Rooney Rule, from its Wikipedia page:

The rule does not apply if an assistant coach has language in his contract guaranteeing him the head coaching job in case of an opening.

Theoretically, yes. But Morris is every bit as qualified, arguably more so. The last thing the league or Rams want is the appearance of rushing Morris and another minority candidate through an interview so they can hurry up and anoint KOC.

Or it could be he wants to go to the parade and will be in MN the very next day.

Failing as a head coach twice does not mean you are more qualified than someone who has never been a head coach.

All of this makes sense, it's just odd PA would mention not to plan on Thursday's press conference on air this morning. And he says plenty of ridiculous and wrong things, just not typically about potentially sensitive Viking information.

I'm sure KOC will be the next head coach, I just thought the Vikings would have made an announcement by now stating he will become the next head coach on Thursday.

Failing as a head coach twice does not mean you are more qualified than someone who has never been a head coach.
You seriously count going 4-7 as an interim coach in Atlanta after taking over an 0-5 team as a "failure"?

You seriously count going 4-7 as an interim coach in Atlanta after taking over an 0-5 team as a "failure"?

Yet Atlanta didn't want him long term as a head coach. So why should the Rams and the Vikings, especially after the Rams defense regressed this season?

Top Bottom