All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Well, good for Matt Stafford. I would have been good with either team winning but for Stafford to labor in a shit situation like Detroit for so long, good for him.
Was rooting for Bengals, but I can't be mad. Matty certainly paid his dues.

Have people heard the word that McVay was thinking about retiring if the Rams won the Super Bowl? Seems crazy, but who knows. If that actually happened, it would be just the Vikings luck if the Rams then promoted Kevin O’Connell!

Have people heard the word that McVay was thinking about retiring if the Rams won the Super Bowl? Seems crazy, but who knows. If that actually happened, it would be just the Vikings luck if the Rams then promoted Kevin O’Connell!
Obvious click bait article to scare feckless fans

I miss the days of someone being dominant. Every one of these games comes down to a lucky bounce or some referee horseshit call.

I feel like the winners of the super bowl are now more lucky than good.

And no whistles all game long, and then a barrage of them. Whatever, NFL
Interesting take!

I would say, guessing by far and wide, that most fans prefer the close games.

Well supposedly Donald is retiring too!

Will be interesting to watch for sure.

If Donald does retire: played all 8 years with the Rams, 8x Pro Bowl, 7x 1st team All-Pro, various DPOY awards.

Would now have his SB victory, and go out on top.

Rams could save $14.25M cap in 22 with a post-6/1 release, $12.5M dead cap in 22, $9M dead cap in 23.

It’s all fluff that keeps the nfl chat going all off season. Every year same thing
Megatron retired after 9 years in Detroit. And guessing 2015 was just to give it one more go after making the playoffs in 2014.

For whatever that comparison is worth.

If Donald does retire: played all 8 years with the Rams, 8x Pro Bowl, 7x 1st team All-Pro, various DPOY awards.

Would now have his SB victory, and go out on top.

Rams could save $14.25M cap in 22 with a post-6/1 release, $12.5M dead cap in 22, $9M dead cap in 23.
And was available when the Vikings picked at #9 in the 2014 draft. Instead, Anthony Barr was chosen. Donald was the next defensive player who went off the board at #13.

"Base salary" is a bit disingenuous way to list this. Those are often pretty low, with compensation tied to roster bonuses or signing bonuses. This is also specifically listing the leading rusher in the super bowl itself, not the team's leading rusher during the course of the year. Cam Akers had a grand total of 5 rushing attempts and 3 yards in the regular season. Sony Michel was the Rams leading rusher in 2021, with a base salary of $480,000 and a yearly compensation amount of $5.5 million. So to not include that in this figure is making a point that isn't fully telling the story.

With that said, the number of guys that ultimately played in the SB for these teams is not exactly a murder's row of players.

"Base salary" is a bit disingenuous way to list this. Those are often pretty low, with compensation tied to roster bonuses or signing bonuses. This is also specifically listing the leading rusher in the super bowl itself, not the team's leading rusher during the course of the year. Cam Akers had a grand total of 5 rushing attempts and 3 yards in the regular season. Sony Michel was the Rams leading rusher in 2021, with a base salary of $480,000 and a yearly compensation amount of $5.5 million. So to not include that in this figure is making a point that isn't fully telling the story.

With that said, the number of guys that ultimately played in the SB for these teams is not exactly a murder's row of players.
None of those RBs is considered top tier or maybe even 2nd tier.

RB isn't a valuable position. You need to save money at RB in order to pay players at other, more important positions.

Dump or trade Cook, go with his back up, add another RB via the draft in the mid-rounds.

That's how you start to get on a winning path as an organization, at least with the backfield.

I agree with what you wrote in the rest of your post, but this is the main point of the chart. Today's NFL teams are not winning Super Bowls by paying high end RBs a large amount of money.

Or, at very least ... the main guys aren't making it to the Super Bowl healthy.

Like forever said, Sony Michel was the leading rusher for the season. So in which case, again what is the point of paying them big money?

Yep, the holding call to give LA a first down was bad, since they hadn’t made that call all game long. I think Cincy wins if that call isn’t made.
I can't feel bad for Cincy. The biggest play of the game was the Boyd TD with the non-call on the blatant face mask on Ramsey. They didn't lose because of the refs.

This is dumb. First there's like a 10% chance he quits. Second, they can't just anoint KOC, they have to do a full coaching search. KOC would be here long before anything even starts to happen in LA. Third, it's not a given he wouldn't prefer the Vikings job. Do you really want to follow McVay, with cap problems and most of your draft picks gutted?

So, it's Monday afternoon - have the Vikes indicated when they are going to do the big press conference/unveiling for the new coach?

there is nothing as I check the official team website.

I assume they're just giving the guy some time after the Super Bowl, but it would be so "Minnesota" if something fell through and the guy changed his mind.......

So, it's Monday afternoon - have the Vikes indicated when they are going to do the big press conference/unveiling for the new coach?

I assume they're just giving the guy some time after the Super Bowl, but it would be so "Minnesota" if something fell through and the guy changed his mind.......
son- you gotta shake this MN inferiority thing!

Last edited:

The last time that happened to a MN team, we lost Randy Edsall and got Jerry Kill....

Barreiro is goring the MN folks today. Oh Dan. Thank you Dan for spending your adulthood at goring the people of MN.

I can't feel bad for Cincy. The biggest play of the game was the Boyd TD with the non-call on the blatant face mask on Ramsey. They didn't lose because of the refs.
That should have been a flag, which is why I don't understand the first holding call on Cincy when it was 3rd down and long. They hadn't called that all game. Jalen R. got away with it the first time Cincy got in the red zone and broke up a TD because of it. Collinsworth even said after replay that they refs are going to let them play today. Then late in the game they didn't, because the hold on Kupp wasn't nearly as blatant.

Couple articles in the STrib today comparing Cousins to Stafford.

Here's my issue with that: is Cousins willing to accept the mere $20M cap hit that Stafford had this year??

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/matthew-stafford-6078/

If the Rams wanted, they could even release him post-6/1 and save the entire $23M cap hit for 2022.

I'm sure Cousins is willing to come down some from $45M, spaced out over the next few years, but wouldn't we'd probably need to commit to at least three more years at $20-25M a year guaranteed, or something like that?

Why does Cousins deserve significantly more than that, if he's so similar to Stafford?

Top Bottom