All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

No argument. But who is his OC? If Graham comes with O'Connell as DC it might be a better combo.
I don't know anyrhing about Graham. Is he a defensive guru? I thought NYG was not a great defense

I don't want a coach calling plays on either side if rhe ball. Too much distraction

I don't know anyrhing about Graham. Is he a defensive guru? I thought NYG was not a great defense

I don't want a coach calling plays on either side if rhe ball. Too much distraction
No idea. He's only 43. New England coaching tree. Been a DC in Miami and NY.

I can almost guarantee O'Connell will. McVay does. LaFluer does. Taylor does. Kingsbury does.

Now reading they never made him an offer. This is mysterious. Definitely possible that ownership nixed it after all.
I mean, some people were saying he (Harbaugh) had to convince some folks in the organization.

Just seems like everyone and their grandma was saying "he wouldn't come here just to interview and not be certain he was getting the job".

Don't know for certain off the top of my head, but feels like more NFL HC's call the offense or defense than don't, these days?

I can almost guarantee O'Connell will. McVay does. LaFluer does. Taylor does. Kingsbury does.
In the NFL, you don't need to be a salesman. You have someone managing the roster for you.

You can be an X's and O's genius, and not even necessarily good with the media. Tracy Claeys

Don't know for certain off the top of my head, but feels like more NFL HC's call the offense or defense than don't, these days?
Almost all the recent hires call either offense or defense. John Harbaugh and Tomlin don't. There aren't many others.

Just seems like everyone and their grandma was saying "he wouldn't come here just to interview and not be certain he was getting the job".
Logically he wouldn't. He left Michigan on national signing day to do this. You don't do that if it's not a done deal. How awkward to go back now.

O'Connell, a former quarterback, was Washington quarterbacks coach in 2017, Kirk Cousins' final season as the starter there, and would figure to run a similar system in Minnesota to the one the Vikings first installed with Kevin Stefanski and Gary Kubiak in 2019. O'Connell also worked with new Vikings general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah in San Francisco in 2016, when he was on the 49ers staff doing special projects under Chip Kelly.

Wild speculation that I made up on the spot:

O'Connell told the Wilfs that he would agree to continue to work with Cousins in 2022, while the others said they wanted to trade him.

Wilfs don't want to rebuild in 2022.

Wild speculation that I made up on the spot:

O'Connell told the Wilfs that he would agree to continue to work with Cousins in 2022, while the others said they wanted to trade him.

Wilfs don't want to rebuild in 2022.
I think Harbaugh was the most likely to sell them on that honestly. "I won with Alex Smith I can do it with Kirk." O'Connell and McVay threw Jared Goff overboard because he wasn't good enough.

I think Harbaugh was the most likely to sell them on that honestly. "I won with Alex Smith I can do it with Kirk." O'Connell and McVay threw Jared Goff overboard because he wasn't good enough.
And sold away their future for ... Matt Stafford.

Hey, a Super Bowl is a Super Bowl, even if it costs you mediocrity the next 10 years.

Granted, I have no idea how much say O'C had in that.

"[The] Vikings interviewed O’Connell in LA on Monday and came away impressed with his vision for the franchise," reports ESPN's Courtney Cronin. "He was emerging as the front runner before the Harbaugh interest emerged last Saturday and now is in line to land the job."

According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, the Vikings were impressed by O'Connell's "knowledge of their scheme, personnel and his overall presence."

O'Connell, who turns 37 in May, fits the mold of the bright, young, offensive minded-head coach that so many teams are looking for in this era of the NFL. The former quarterback has spent the past two seasons as Sean McVay's offensive coordinator with the Rams. He'll become the third McVay offensive assistant to become a head coach, joining Matt LaFleur (Packers) and Zac Taylor (Bengals). Former Rams DC Brandon Staley is also a current HC (Chargers).

McVay calls the plays in LA, so O'Connell will be a first-time play-caller in Minnesota this fall. He did get some experience in that regard during the 2021 preseason. But there's much more to an offensive coordinator's job that calling plays. O'Connell is regarded as a brilliant coach when it comes to game-planning, designing and installing plays, coaching players in practice, and much more. He'll bring an intricate knowledge of the McVay offensive scheme with him to the Vikings. Being a scheme and strategy wizard is much different from being a head coach, but clearly the Vikings believe he can succeed and grow in that role.

It'll be important for O'Connell to fill out a strong staff, especially in terms of who he adds as a defensive coordinator. He will presumably keep a few holdovers from Mike Zimmer's 2021 staff while bringing in many new faces.

O'Connell grew up in southern California and played quarterback at San Diego State. He was drafted by the Patriots in the third round in 2008 to be Tom Brady's backup, but his NFL playing career lasted just five years. He got his first coaching job as the Browns' QBs coach in 2015.

O'Connell then spent 2016 on the 49ers' offensive staff doing special projects. He overlapped with new Vikings GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah during that year. In 2017, O'Connell was Kirk Cousins' QB coach in Washington, which is notable considering the major Cousins decision facing the Vikings this offseason. He got "passing game coordinator" added to his title in 2018, then was Washington's OC in 2019 before joining McVay in LA.

The new era of Vikings football is about to begin, and it's all about youth. O'Connell is 36 and Adofo-Mensah is 40. They're replacing a 65-year-old (Zimmer) and a 59-year-old (Rick Spielman). Neither has been a head coach or GM before. Now, O'Connell and Adofo-Mensah will get to learn and grow together as they attempt to build a Super Bowl contender in Minnesota.

Again, O'Connell's hiring won't be official until after the Super Bowl. That's when he'll be officially announced and introduced as the Vikings' newest head coach.

And sold away their future for ... Matt Stafford.

Hey, a Super Bowl is a Super Bowl, even if it costs you mediocrity the next 10 years.

Granted, I have no idea how much say O'C had in that.
If you get a Super Bowl it's worth it. But you still have to get lucky. If the 49'ers safety could catch a football it was all for nothing.

I wasn't crazy about Harbaugh coming here a few weeks ago, but warmed up to it and actually was sort of excited about the prospect.

Oh well.

Mn got played just like they did when it was Arodg is leaving the pack.

Mn got played just like they did when it was Arodg is leaving the pack.
By who for what purpose? You think Michigan's going to give Jim a big raise now? I doubt it. At best he gets his pay-cut restored which was likely happening anyway.

OConnell expected to be name HC.

So dumb

Vikes fall for trap of hot OC that doesnt even call plays. Also enamored by SB coach.

Hire a young GM AND a young HC. Brilliant
Ordinarily, I would have agreed about him not calling the plays now, as a black mark. But honestly, Head Coach is just not the same thing as a coordinator. Not many coordinators are able to make that leap to Head Coach successfully. It's just a different responsibility.

One thing's for sure, he absolutely has to nail picking the right Coordinators.

I mean, some people were saying he (Harbaugh) had to convince some folks in the organization.

For all we know it's some fucked-up shit like that minority owner having incriminating or compromising dirt on the Wilfs and insisting on not hiring Harbaugh because he secretly DOES love him and wants to keep him in Ann Arbor. Plus, it wouldn't be the Wilfs I've come to know if they didn't do something like overrule their newly-hired GM's first decision right out of the box.

Now reading they never made him an offer. This is mysterious. Definitely possible that ownership nixed it after all.
We'll never know. Could be that the new GM wasn't completely sold. He's working with the new coach. So many factors involved so it's hard for us to nitpick on the sidelines. If one of you think you can do a better job, go buy the Broncos and prove it.

Well, this certainly is messed up.
We go from accusations that the Vikings had already hired Harbaugh before doing proper due diligence with other candidates to him not getting the job.

Messed up.
I blame the partial owner from Detroit until proven otherwise.

Is it possible that he wore a suit to the interview instead of a khakis? Seriously though... he could have come in an hour late for the interview with his hair uncombed and his fly undone, stammered on about bringing the wishbone offense to the NFL, and completely botched the interview. If it wasn't a fit, it wasn't a fit. Minnesotans always assume that their team somehow screwed up. What a bunch of self-defeatists!

Top Bottom