All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

"It is undisputed that Mr. Watson's conduct does not fall into the category of violent conduct that would require the minimum 6-game suspension. It likewise is undisputed that prior cases involving non-violent sexual assault have resulted in discipline far less severe than what the NFL proposes here, with the most severe penalty being a 3-game suspension for a player who had been previously warned about his conduct."

Good. We have no proof that these women didn't just make the whole thing up.

No crime was committed. Settlements were made out of court.

No way he should have to be suspended the whole season too.
Privately, Roger G and the NFL don't give a shit about suspending or fining Watson; this is all about the image of the shield and not appearing to be soft or not taking this seriously enough. It's 100% posturing and optics at this point. I don't really care if he gets 6 games or 30 games, makes no difference to me

I'm generally one of the few that typically defend Goodell (he's easily the most effective commissioner of any of the sports right now), but he needs to divorce himself from being involved in player discipline. He has way, way too much influence and control in that area and a lot of the decisions have been terrible decisions honestly.

I'm already half correct. Goddell appointed someone else.

I'm warming up your big plate of crow.
Goodell appointed former New Jersey AG Peter Harvey. You might recognize the name because he has served as Goodell’s designee before and was on the panel that reviewed Ezekiel Elliot’s case. Elliot had a DV accusation from his ex-girlfriend. Elliot was never found guilty, but was still suspended 6 games despite appealing the process. Heck, Roethlisberger was never criminally charged and he still got 6 games. Wether you agree with those suspensions or not, make no mistake by believing Harvey is actually an impartial party or that the NFL won’t suspend players just because they were not criminally charged.

Last edited:

don't forget that times change, political climates change, and public opinion can change.

like it or not, we are living in the age of cancel culture.

the NFL may be a big, powerful organization, but they still don't want to be targeted with negative publicity.

a decision on Watson that is considered to be "too lenient" will result in protests, attempts at boycotts, attempts to target companies that sponsor the NFL, etc.

Watson is one player. Goodell has the entire league to think about. If Goodell thinks the best decision for the league is to throw Watson under the bus, he'll do it without blinking an eye.

when all is said and done, the final suspension will be more than 6 games.

Goodell appointed former New Jersey AG Peter Harvey. You might recognize the name because he has served as Goodell’s designee before and was on the panel that reviewed Ezekiel Elliot’s case. Elliot had a DV accusation from his ex-girlfriend. Elliot was never found guilty, but was still suspended 6 games despite appealing the process. Heck, Roethlisberger was never criminally charged and he still got 6 games. Wether you agree with those suspensions or not, make no mistake by believing Harvey is actually an impartial party or that the NFL won’t suspend players just because they were not criminally charged.
I've said it before, I'm NO fan of Zeke at all (and of course hate the Cowboys), but Zeke got absolutely f'd on that suspension. There was ZERO reason to suspend Zeke there. I don't remember enough about Big Ben's situation back then to have had much of an opinion.

At this point, it seems clear that in 2020, the players bargained for essentially NO change or improvement in the disciplinary process. Business as usual....

It is hilarious how screwed the Browns are.

Bradley is still garbage. Didn't everyone figure this out 3 years ago? It's amazing how some guys hang around for years.

Bradley is still garbage. Didn't everyone figure this out 3 years ago? It's amazing how some guys hang around for years.
If you get drafted in the first round, GMs hate to cut you and admit they were wrong. His chances of making the team are much less with a new GM. Look at Treadwell. Guy was trash from the first snap, but hung around far too long. Bradbury at least is competent in the zone running game. Just don’t ask him to pass pro a DT (so at least he’s only incompetent in half the plays).

It is hilarious how screwed the Browns are.
They’ve had 10 or more wins in a season 3 times since 1989. Watson only getting a 6 game suspension is relatively un-Brown like. To go full Brownie, Watson has his 6 game suspension upheld at only 6, but he tears his ACL in practice the week before returning. I think the Browns are the only sports entity more Charlie Brown-like than MN sports.

At a Gopher game a few years ago a couple seats from me was this dude in full Browns regalia. Browns hat, Browns jacket, Browns gloves. I’m just sitting there thinking to myself, “damn, dude, how much do you love constant heartbreak?” About the only time as a Gopher fan I could feel pity for somebody else more than myself.

Watson was suspended, and for 6 games. That is fine. That was the ruling, and it was fair.

They won't go beyond it.

like it or not, we are living in the age of cancel culture.
No.

I don't have to accept that, or hysterical, excessive "wokeness".

We can push and fight back. "We" (We???!!!!?? ..... I ! ... The royal we!) meaning the 75+% of sane, moderate folks in the middle who don't go to a rally, don't go to a protest, don't get frothing angry, and so noone gives a s__t what we think and won't point a camera at us or stick a microphone in our face for ratings, clicks, or views.

They’ve had 10 or more wins in a season 3 times since 1989. Watson only getting a 6 game suspension is relatively un-Brown like. To go full Brownie, Watson has his 6 game suspension upheld at only 6, but he tears his ACL in practice the week before returning. I think the Browns are the only sports entity more Charlie Brown-like than MN sports.

At a Gopher game a few years ago a couple seats from me was this dude in full Browns regalia. Browns hat, Browns jacket, Browns gloves. I’m just sitting there thinking to myself, “damn, dude, how much do you love constant heartbreak?” About the only time as a Gopher fan I could feel pity for somebody else more than myself.
Lions. :cool:

Watson was suspended, and for 6 games. That is fine. That was the ruling, and it was fair.

They won't go beyond it.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Watson didn't play a single down of football this season.

I also fully expect him to get into trouble again.

Ingram has been with the 1s the past couple days despite Davis, the assumed starter at the beginner of camp, being health and practicing. Having Davis, Reed, and Udoh as backups would actually be decent depth on the O-line.

someone is tweeting that "The Vikings are considering options for Center and backup QB. It's possible that they may consider trades for both positions before the start of the regular season."

may be nothing. may be something.

but I'm seeing a lot of people who cover camp saying that Mond can't play - at least not yet. If Cousins goes down with an injury or illness, playing Mond or Mannion is almost like throwing in the white flag, unless you think the defense is capable of shutting out the opponents.

Cousins confirmed to have COVID. Better now than October.

More reps for Mond and Mannion, and it sure sounds like they could use it. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they shopped for another backup QB. I would imagine Mannion fills about every single box in what you look for in a backup QB, except for his play under center. Sometimes that's enough (see B. Hoyer, Jim Sorgi, et al), but I think the Vikings need better

Cousins confirmed to have COVID. Better now than October.

More reps for Mond and Mannion, and it sure sounds like they could use it. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they shopped for another backup QB. I would imagine Mannion fills about every single box in what you look for in a backup QB, except for his play under center. Sometimes that's enough (see B. Hoyer, Jim Sorgi, et al), but I think the Vikings need better
The Vikings had 4 picks in the 3rd Round in 2021. They're all garbage. Those guys are supposed to be eventual starters.

The Athletic's last writeup on fall camp for the Vikings mentioned that neither QB looked very good in Kirk's absence.

I mean, it was always Kirk or bust anyway. That's what this season is.

The Mond pick was a joke from the start. I’m totally fine with moving on from him ASAP - he will never sniff a starting role in the NFL.

The Athletic's last writeup on fall camp for the Vikings mentioned that neither QB looked very good in Kirk's absence.

I mean, it was always Kirk or bust anyway. That's what this season is.

Just looking around at current NFL rostered QB's, there will be more attractive options available in the next few weeks than Mannion/Mond. I think the Vikings will play the waiting game and grab someone that is cast aside by another team not wanting to carry three QBs on NFL contracts.

At this point I would be surprised if they start Week 1 with Cousins starting and Mannion/Mond as the backup. But who knows...

Mond looked fairly good. We need to see more.

Just looking around at current NFL rostered QB's, there will be more attractive options available in the next few weeks than Mannion/Mond. I think the Vikings will play the waiting game and grab someone that is cast aside by another team not wanting to carry three QBs on NFL contracts.

At this point I would be surprised if they start Week 1 with Cousins starting and Mannion/Mond as the backup. But who knows...
Do you think the Raiders' offense will be stopped by its O-line? They've got the horses to air it out.

I'm no OL guru, far from it, but I actually tried to watch Ed Ingram as much as I could. I know it was against backups but he was pretty dominant from what I could see. I would imagine the second game they'll flip some of the OL spots and he'll get the start so they can see him get some run. It would be huge if he can step into that starting RG role and hold it for the foreseeable future.

I'm no OL guru, far from it, but I actually tried to watch Ed Ingram as much as I could. I know it was against backups but he was pretty dominant from what I could see. I would imagine the second game they'll flip some of the OL spots and he'll get the start so they can see him get some run. It would be huge if he can step into that starting RG role and hold it for the foreseeable future.
Obviously PFF is not a perfect, but he played well. He definitely seems like he has a good chance to beat out Davis at RG.

Top Bottom