All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Good for Geno - long way from his Jets days - funny that the #20 - Darnold and #5 Smith are on the list.

Should the Vikes look to find a QB special in the discount aisle - Carr or Wilson? I was lobbying for them to get Darnold when his time with the Jets was up.
Wilson is not really movable via trade. No one would want the contract, and the cap hit for Denver would be horrific. Rodgers is hard to trade for the same reason, though he obviously wasn't nearly as bad as Russ this year.

So you'd trade Justin Herbert for Geno Smith?
No, I wouldn't based on just 1 year and Herbert being 8 years younger, but that doesn't mean that Smith did not outperform him this season (slightly).

Subjectively, the Seahawks were expected to be abysmal and Smith took them to the Playoffs. The Chargers were expected to be postseason contenders and even a dark horse for the AFC.

Getting back to Goff vs Cousins. On the Dan Patrick Show they mentioned Goff is scheduled to make $20 M in next year. I looked up Cousins, he's scheduled to make $35 M. I like the Lions situation more than the Vikings.

Arizona is just a terrible job right now, whether it's the new GM or HC; an owner that doesn't historically spend a ton of money, and a malcontent, juvenile delinquent at QB with a contract that means you're tied to him for years.

Go after a big fish, long-term hire at GM but for HC, you might as well hire a lame duck HC that you know you will likely be replacing after 1-2 seasons anyway. It's THAT bad of a situation
Wilson is not really movable via trade. No one would want the contract, and the cap hit for Denver would be horrific. Rodgers is hard to trade for the same reason, though he obviously wasn't nearly as bad as Russ this year.
Not Russ, Zach

No, I wouldn't based on just 1 year and Herbert being 8 years younger, but that doesn't mean that Smith did not outperform him this season (slightly).

Subjectively, the Seahawks were expected to be abysmal and Smith took them to the Playoffs. The Chargers were expected to be postseason contenders and even a dark horse for the AFC.

Getting back to Goff vs Cousins. On the Dan Patrick Show they mentioned Goff is scheduled to make $20 M in next year. I looked up Cousins, he's scheduled to make $35 M. I like the Lions situation more than the Vikings.
Geno and Pete Carroll deserve props, but I would put Geno in the Teddy Bridgewater (before injury) bucket. A good game manager type.

The Chargers had higher expectations, yes, but had terrible injuries this year and that they still got to the play-offs is almost as impressive as the Seahawks doing so in a bad division.

Geno and Pete Carroll deserve props, but I would put Geno in the Teddy Bridgewater (before injury) bucket. A good game manager type.

The Chargers had higher expectations, yes, but had terrible injuries this year and that they still got to the play-offs is almost as impressive as the Seahawks doing so in a bad division.
Geno throwing for 30 TDs doesn't indicate "game manager". Teddy's best is 18, though he's only had 3 seasons which he started most games.

The AFC West is only slightly better than the NFC West. The 2 teams in the NFC West both went to the Playoffs last year and the Rams won it all.

You're reading too much into that ranking. It's not taking into account past years or projecting going forward. It's based the numbers put up in 2022, essentially a Fantasy Football criteria.

I don't play FFL, but in hindsight the choice would be Smith over Herbert in 2022. No brainer. Better numbers.

If I were drafting in 2023 FFL or I was an actual GM, Herbert gets the nod (salary being comparable).

Goff will revert to mean of his career. Not terrible, not great. The Lions have done a good job assembling an OL (still can’t believe Sewell fell to them) so Goff often had all day to pass.

A few weeks ago when I looked, their D was ranked 31/32 on yards allowed. They’ll need a repeat out-of-character performance of Goff and a defensive overhaul. Their skill guys aren’t nearly good enough to compensate for an average Goff, if he indeed does revert to the mean. They are aided by Goff’s contract, but will most certainly have to overspend to get FA’s to sign there. Looking better than it’s been, but they’re still climbing the mountain.

Goff will revert to mean of his career. Not terrible, not great. The Lions have done a good job assembling an OL (still can’t believe Sewell fell to them) so Goff often had all day to pass.

A few weeks ago when I looked, their D was ranked 31/32 on yards allowed. They’ll need a repeat out-of-character performance of Goff and a defensive overhaul. Their skill guys aren’t nearly good enough to compensate for an average Goff, if he indeed does revert to the mean. They are aided by Goff’s contract, but will most certainly have to overspend to get FA’s to sign there. Looking better than it’s been, but they’re still climbing the mountain.
Their 4 draft picks in the first 64 selections, including the #6 overall, could/should fill some of those needs for the Lions.

I hope I'm wrong. Maybe they just got hot for 2 months, but my gut says they're not a push over any longer.

They had the best intra-division record at 5-1. The one loss, they certainly had the Vikings on the ropes.

Last edited:

Their "Fabio" LB is great, and "Rodrigo" is great against the run, kinda stubby though to pass cover.

Their 4 draft picks in the first 64 selections, including the #6 overall, could/should fill some of those needs for the Lions.

I hope I'm wrong. Maybe they just got hot for 2 months, but my gut says they're not a push over any longer.

They had the best intra-division record at 5-1. The one loss, they certainly had the Vikings on the ropes.
I fully agree, they are no longer a push over and may very well make a push for the division. I have seen way too many bad Lions team to crown them the king of anything (other than futility) until I see it with my own eyes. They have not earned the benefit of the doubt.

I've mentioned it before, but even if they have more success in 2023 it doesn't guarantee they've "arrived". I would refer to the Browns as a similar situation - many high draft picks, a QB you think is "the guy", and they basically had one successful season and are back to being the Browns (albeit a slightly better version of themselves).

Their "Fabio" LB is great, and "Rodrigo" is great against the run, kinda stubby though to pass cover.
They're D ranking is very similar to the Vikes, but I much prefer the way the Lions play. Much more aggressive and entertaining. They'll get burned, and they don't have all the pieces, but better to watch than the shell coverage garbage the Vikes have employed.

They're D ranking is very similar to the Vikes, but I much prefer the way the Lions play. Much more aggressive and entertaining. They'll get burned, and they don't have all the pieces, but better to watch than the shell coverage garbage the Vikes have employed.
I pray Ed D is gone after the season. If the current Broncos DC does not get the HC job, they better jump all over him. Was with KOC on the Rams last year.

I fully agree, they are no longer a push over and may very well make a push for the division. I have seen way too many bad Lions team to crown them the king of anything (other than futility) until I see it with my own eyes. They have not earned the benefit of the doubt.

I've mentioned it before, but even if they have more success in 2023 it doesn't guarantee they've "arrived". I would refer to the Browns as a similar situation - many high draft picks, a QB you think is "the guy", and they basically had one successful season and are back to being the Browns (albeit a slightly better version of themselves).
All fair points regarding the Lions.

Also, I while I think the NFC North is there for the taking, I am also not going as far as saying Detroit will be a Super Bowl contender. Though just getting in the tournament would be a huge step.

I am a bigger Geno fan than most but I don't know if I'd say he outperformed Herbert.

I think if you swapped Herbert this year with Geno the Seahawks would be one of the top 3 teams in the West and the Chargers would be one of the worst teams in the league.

Geno's numbers were better but those only tell half the story.

I am a bigger Geno fan than most but I don't know if I'd say he outperformed Herbert.

I think if you swapped Herbert this year with Geno the Seahawks would be one of the top 3 teams in the West and the Chargers would be one of the worst teams in the league.

Geno's numbers were better but those only tell half the story.
I don't disagree with any of that, but purely stacking statistics, Geno had better numbers which what the rankings were based on that I posted earlier.

Vikings missing two starting OL this weekend against a strong Giants DL and a DC in Martindale that really likes to send pressure. Kayvon T is going to have a field day with O'Neill sitting on the bench.

I think I have to take the Giants and the points, but it would be nice if the line ever got to Vikings (-3.5) instead of just -3.

Vikings missing two starting OL this weekend against a strong Giants DL and a DC in Martindale that really likes to send pressure. Kayvon T is going to have a field day with O'Neill sitting on the bench.

I think I have to take the Giants and the points, but it would be nice if the line ever got to Vikings (-3.5) instead of just -3.
Bradbury will probably be back. But doesnt mean he wont re-aggrevate the back injury

Ugghhh.... This situation in PHX just keeps getting worse, and worse, and worse... Teammates coming out anonymously bashing the shit out of Murray.

Teammate Slams Murray: "They Created a Monster"

Silver wrote in the story: "Once paid, the veteran said, Murray felt less compulsion to study his game plan or to fulfill the expectations of the franchise QB position than he had in the past, and the Cardinals’ collapse felt predictable."

Currently interviewing GM candidates, we'll see how this shakes out. Still can't believe they gave Murray that contract last spring. Just ridiculous...

Ugghhh.... This situation in PHX just keeps getting worse, and worse, and worse... Teammates coming out anonymously bashing the shit out of Murray.

Teammate Slams Murray: "They Created a Monster"

Silver wrote in the story: "Once paid, the veteran said, Murray felt less compulsion to study his game plan or to fulfill the expectations of the franchise QB position than he had in the past, and the Cardinals’ collapse felt predictable."

Currently interviewing GM candidates, we'll see how this shakes out. Still can't believe they gave Murray that contract last spring. Just ridiculous...
Reminds me of some twolves players

Top Bottom