All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

It's still the Lions. And it's still Jared Goff. Let's pump the brakes a bit.
Jared Goff - 1 Super Bowl Appearance.
Kirk Cousins - 0 Super Bowl Appearances.

I'm not saying that's the end all be all. Goff is not a stiff though. Has a better defense to rely on. This ranking looks fair after perusing quickly.

Goff rated #11.
Cousins rated #9.

If the Lions are not sold on Goff long term, they currently own the Rams 1st Round Draft pick if there is someone they are high on.

Last edited:

So my story on the Vikings/Colts game was sort of interesting. I did not give up on them at half time in a typical fashion, as I was going to remove myself from the TV no matter the situation.

I have probably missed 25-30 games total going back to 1975. Since DVRs have prevailed the last 20 years and local blackouts aren't a thing any more, I don't think I have missed 2.

This weekend I was out of town for a family wedding in central Illinois (Peoria) and set my DVR. Ceremony start was 3 PM. No other Vikings fans, so my plan was to watch the 1st half in my room, but no matter what, I was going to have to bail at 2:15 PM to allow travel time, perhaps able to stay through the 3rd Q.

1st half down 33-0, I decide to go early for some pre-wedding refreshments with my cousins where they were staying.

2:15 PM head to the venue, knowing they were down 36-7. On they way, I am not driving and keeping tabs on my phone and see they cut it to 36-21 with still over 12 minutes to play.

2:45 PM in the church, milling about and like 3 of my cousins and I are keeping tabs on different websites but none were in sync and we see the Vikes cut it to 36-28 with 5:28 to go, but now it's go time. Wedding starts all phones off.

Ceremony ends and within a few moments my cousin's kid alerts me it's now tied and going to OT!

By this time it's after 3:30 PM. Still can't leave the church. Pictures.

Again we are waiting around and nobody's phone was in sync, so updates are coming everywhere....Vikes have the ball and are moving. Stopped. Colts get the ball and punt. Vikes get it again.

Now we are getting to the one picture I am in, and my cousin told me 1st & 10, Indy at their own 20, with 19 seconds left. He thought the Colts had the ball. I was thinking that's fine, likely Tie which was nearly as good as a Win for the NFC North and #2 seed.

At that point it was a while as everyone's WiFi was seeming to freeze or maybe there was some injury delay. But then I realized the Vikes did have the ball, either by a miracle turnover or my cousin just misread his phone (which turned out to be the case).

Our side of the families pictures were over, I look at my phone and see the Vikes win 39-36. Fitting I was in a church. I could have prayed, but feel like He has bigger things to be concerned with.

By now it's 4:05 PM, and I realize I only set my DVR to go to 4 PM.

Got home late Sunday, watched 2nd half and OT, up to the 19 second mark.

There you have it. Quite a memorable afternoon.

So my story on the Vikings/Colts game was sort of interesting. I did not give up on them at half time in a typical fashion, as I was going to remove myself from the TV no matter the situation.

I have probably missed 25-30 games total going back to 1975. Since DVRs have prevailed the last 20 years and local blackouts aren't a thing any more, I don't think I have missed 2.

This weekend I was out of town for a family wedding in central Illinois (Peoria) and set my DVR. Ceremony start was 3 PM. No other Vikings fans, so my plan was to watch the 1st half in my room, but no matter what, I was going to have to bail at 2:15 PM to allow travel time, perhaps able to stay through the 3rd Q.

1st half down 33-0, I decide to go early for some pre-wedding refreshments with my cousins where they were staying.

2:15 PM head to the venue, knowing they were down 36-7. On they way, I am not driving and keeping tabs on my phone and see they cut it to 36-21 with still over 12 minutes to play.

2:45 PM in the church, milling about and like 3 of my cousins and I are keeping tabs on different websites but none were in sync and we see the Vikes cut it to 36-28 with 5:28 to go, but now it's go time. Wedding starts all phones off.

Ceremony ends and within a few moments my cousin's kid alerts me it's now tied and going to OT!

By this time it's after 3:30 PM. Still can't leave the church. Pictures.

Again we are waiting around and nobody's phone was in sync, so updates are coming everywhere....Vikes have the ball and are moving. Stopped. Colts get the ball and punt. Vikes get it again.

Now we are getting to the one picture I am in, and my cousin told me 1st & 10, Indy at their own 20, with 19 seconds left. He thought the Colts had the ball. I was thinking that's fine, likely Tie which was nearly as good as a Win for the NFC North and #2 seed.

At that point it was a while as everyone's WiFi was seeming to freeze or maybe there was some injury delay. But then I realized the Vikes did have the ball, either by a miracle turnover or my cousin just misread his phone (which turned out to be the case).

Our side of the families pictures were over, I look at my phone and see the Vikes win 39-36. Fitting I was in a church. I could have prayed, but feel like He has bigger things to be concerned with.

By now it's 4:05 PM, and I realize I only set my DVR to go to 4 PM.

Got home late Sunday, watched 2nd half and OT, up to the 19 second mark.

There you have it. Quite a memorable afternoon.
Always set the dvr for the maximum time. Mine will go up to 3 hours over. Nothing worse than watching a 4 hour Twins game then to have it cut off in the 12th inning (not as much of a problem now).

Had to think about it for a minute and a quick search but KOC was in San Fran when the 49ers signed Rosen to a 1-yr deal not that long ago. Maybe KOC sees something in Rosen that nobody else could manage to get out of him.

It's the longest of shots, but probably a low-risk move

Always set the dvr for the maximum time. Mine will go up to 3 hours over. Nothing worse than watching a 4 hour Twins game then to have it cut off in the 12th inning (not as much of a problem now).

Yeah, E-ME.

In my defense though, I did not think NFL games with the 10 minute OT could ever take more than 4 hrs. Being out of state for a few days, I knew I would have known the result and could watch on-line/youtube whatever I missed. Plus the post-ceremony pictures for relatives (beyond immediate family and the wedding party) were a curveball. I thought for sure I would be in a bar across the street by 4pm.

I have seen the 2 plays plus the FG. Would have liked to have the seen what the commotion was about that caused the delay and any postgame reaction from the NFL network.

When I got back to my hotel on Saturday, around 11:30pm, they were replaying the game on NFL Network. It was still in the 1st Q. I had no chance of staying up beyond halftime.

Too much fun earlier at the wedding reception. Open bar. I was reminded as someone born in the 60s, that I can not keep up with those born in the 90s. Not anymore. They were mostly drinking seltzers though, maybe that's an advantage.

Last edited:

Yeah, E-ME.

In my defense though, I did not think NFL games with the 10 minute OT could ever take more than 4 hrs. Being out of state for a few days, I knew I would have known the result and could watch on-line/youtube whatever I missed. Plus the post-ceremony pictures for relatives (beyond immediate family and the wedding party) were a curveball. I thought for sure I would be in a bar across the street by 4pm.

I have seen the 2 plays plus the FG. Would have liked to have the seen what the commotion was about that caused the delay and any postgame reaction from the NFL network.

When I got back to my hotel on Saturday, around 11:30pm, they were replaying the game on NFL Network. It was still in the 1st Q. I had no chance of staying up beyond halftime.

Too much fun earlier at the wedding reception. Open bar. I was reminded as someone born in the 60s, that I can not keep up with those born in the 90s. Not anymore. They were mostly drinking seltzers though, maybe that's an advantage.
UTube eliminates these worries- time to go to ⛅

Some other thoughts on the Colts/Vikes

- While it was the biggest overall comeback in NFL history, the Vikes had a bigger 4th Q comeback against the Eagles in 1985. They were down 23-0 in that one, while Saturday they were "only" behind 36-14 after 3 Q. No benefit of a 2 pt conversion back then either as they roared back 28-23.

- They didn't really even run "hurry-up" until midway in the 4th. Astonishing. They even tied it before the 2 minute warning.

- It was mentioned here Matt Ryan was the QB for the Falcons, in the SB when they blew a 28-3 lead. It was referenced on the Dan Patrick Show, that was there when they blew a 17 pt lead in the NFC Title game which is also a record.

- I wonder what was going through Frank Reich's mind during the contest as the former HC of the Colts and his comeback with the Bills against the Oilers was surpassed.

- The craziest game in franchise history was the Bills game last month. It was surpassed by Year End.

Just need the Pack to back in and win the NFC. I would admit the universe favors cruelty.

Some other thoughts on the Colts/Vikes

- While it was the biggest overall comeback in NFL history, the Vikes had a bigger 4th Q comeback against the Eagles in 1985. They were down 23-0 in that one, while Saturday they were "only" behind 36-14 after 3 Q. No benefit of a 2 pt conversion back then either as they roared back 28-23.

- They didn't really even run "hurry-up" until midway in the 4th. Astonishing. They even tied it before the 2 minute warning.

- It was mentioned here Matt Ryan was the QB for the Falcons, in the SB when they blew a 28-3 lead. It was referenced on the Dan Patrick Show, that was there when they blew a 17 pt lead in the NFC Title game which is also a record.

- I wonder what was going through Frank Reich's mind during the contest as the former HC of the Colts and his comeback with the Bills against the Oilers was surpassed.

- The craziest game in franchise history was the Bills game last month. It was surpassed by Year End.
The other interesting thing is the Vikings played the Eagles twice that year for some strange reason. They played a few weeks later in week 16.

Ron Jaworski was having a field day with the Minnesota Vikings defense. He put up 204 yards and two TDs as the Philadelphia Eagles jumped out to a 20-0 halftime lead.
Wade Wilson struggled mightily in the first half and Coach Bud Grant pulled him in favor of Steve Bono. (That’s right people, Steve Bono.)
But with Bono going 1-10 for five yards and the Eagles pushing the lead to 23-0 with just over eleven minutes to play, Wilson was re-inserted into to the game and proceeded to hit Anthony Carter on back-to-back passes of 22 and 20 yards before hitting Allen Rice on a seven-yard score.
With the score 23-7, the Vikes defense came up huge as Keith Millard popped Jaworski hard and forced a fumble, which Willie Teal ran back 65 yards for the score. That cut their lead to 23-14 with six minutes remaining.
The Eagles got the ball back, but gave it right back as John Spagnola was stripped by Joey Browner. Wilson and the Vikes came out and immediately scored on a 36-yard strike to Carter with just under four minutes to play.
The Vikings defense came up big again, forcing the Eagles to punt and taking over at their own 40. After moving into Eagles territory, Wilson rolled out to his right and lofted a perfect spiral down the field and hit Carter for their second TD connection of the day—this one being the game winner.
The Vikings went on to win an exciting game 28-23 in front of just a few fans, after most of Veterans Stadium had already cleared out after the third quarter.

The other interesting thing is the Vikings played the Eagles twice that year for some strange reason. They played a few weeks later in week 16.

Ron Jaworski was having a field day with the Minnesota Vikings defense. He put up 204 yards and two TDs as the Philadelphia Eagles jumped out to a 20-0 halftime lead.
Wade Wilson struggled mightily in the first half and Coach Bud Grant pulled him in favor of Steve Bono. (That’s right people, Steve Bono.)
But with Bono going 1-10 for five yards and the Eagles pushing the lead to 23-0 with just over eleven minutes to play, Wilson was re-inserted into to the game and proceeded to hit Anthony Carter on back-to-back passes of 22 and 20 yards before hitting Allen Rice on a seven-yard score.
With the score 23-7, the Vikes defense came up huge as Keith Millard popped Jaworski hard and forced a fumble, which Willie Teal ran back 65 yards for the score. That cut their lead to 23-14 with six minutes remaining.
The Eagles got the ball back, but gave it right back as John Spagnola was stripped by Joey Browner. Wilson and the Vikes came out and immediately scored on a 36-yard strike to Carter with just under four minutes to play.
The Vikings defense came up big again, forcing the Eagles to punt and taking over at their own 40. After moving into Eagles territory, Wilson rolled out to his right and lofted a perfect spiral down the field and hit Carter for their second TD connection of the day—this one being the game winner.
The Vikings went on to win an exciting game 28-23 in front of just a few fans, after most of Veterans Stadium had already cleared out after the third quarter.

Regarding the playing Eagles twice, the 2 last place squads in Divisions with 5 teams would double up within a Conference (Central & East) plus face the other 5 team bottom feeders from other Conference once. The Top 4 would play another Division in the opposite Conference.

It started when the NFL went to a 16 game schedule (circa 1978) and was in place until Carolina & Jacksonville entered the league.

1984 under Steckel the Vikes were brutal, so Grant got the benefit of a really favorable schedule when he unretired the following season.

Just need the Pack to back in and win the NFC. I would admit the universe favors cruelty.

Call me crazy, I just put a bet on the Packers to win the NFC at 80-1 odds. If they make the playoffs, they can probably beat anyone in the playoffs, especially if Hurts is less than 100% for the Eagles. I also put a dabble on Vikings to win the NFC at 10-1 and even the lowly Lions at 22-1

Yeah, the Vikings schedule next year looks daunting. The AFC crossover is the West, plus they get Philly, 49ers and that extra 17th game is going to be at whoever win the AFC North. The only positive is that they play everyone in the NFC South.
Thanks for looking that up, I appreciate it. That means the Lions will likely get Dallas, Seattle and whatever team finishes 2nd in the AFC North.

That does favor Detroit on paper, but not dramatically. Seattle could turn the Broncos #1 First Rounder into a significant asset.

I jumped the gun regarding the Lions finishing 2nd in the NFC North. I knew the Packers were 2 wins behind but forgot they still had the Rams on MNF. Now Just 1 game behind, in theory could pass them or easily finish even with a head-to-head game remaining.

Not sure how the tiebreakers would play out.

Last edited:

Very Important Question:

I'll be flying tomorrow during the game. Any idea how grab the game if the satellite isn't picking up the feed and showing it on the little seat back monitor? I was flying out of Mpls a few weeks ago during a Vikings game and I assumed Fox would show the game, but the satellite picked up a different broadcast. Then I tried Xfinity and it was a no go. Any suggestions?

Very Important Question:

I'll be flying tomorrow during the game. Any idea how grab the game if the satellite isn't picking up the feed and showing it on the little seat back monitor? I was flying out of Mpls a few weeks ago during a Vikings game and I assumed Fox would show the game, but the satellite picked up a different broadcast. Then I tried Xfinity and it was a no go. Any suggestions?
Are you sure you want be canceled/delayed?

That's a tough one because it's Fox and they get to dictate which local stations get to carry which games. Unless your sat/streaming can get one of those stations, I don't think there's anything you can do short of Sunday ticket?

On paper a VPN would take care of that? But I have no idea how to set that up or if it's worth the hassle.

We’re running the ball really well, just not nearly often enough.

Damn it. Looks like we're getting the Kirk Cousins and Offense from last week's first half, not the second.

(Edit: they overturned that interception!)

Top Bottom