All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Who can say? The Lions will still be the Lions. Their fans are in a panic about losing their OC to another job and want to fire Campbell to keep him. But I doubt that will happen. Will their offense fall apart with out him? Will Goff just turn back into a pumpkin? A lot can happen. As for the Bears, I'm not sold on them at all yet. The Packers will almost certainly bounce back. I don't think Rodgers is actually going anywhere. But they won't be 13-3 good.
The Lions love in this thread is hilarious. They have been one of the most irrelevant pro sports teams in the past 25 years. Oh, but past results don’t guarantee future performance? Please. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Defenses will adjust to Justin Fields. The amount he runs is unsustainable. This is still very much the Vikes/Packers division.

as far as the Vike's defense:

consider this - the #1 and #2 draft picks - who were supposed to help with secondary depth, are both out for the year with injuries.

Dantzler has been out for a month. Evans has missed time with a concussion and will now miss more time.

Duke Shelley is playing in the rotation at CB.

this is a patchwork secondary right now. If they can get closer to healthy by the playoffs, that should help with the pass defense.

I'm not making excuses for them. But the new regime has only had 1 off-season to work on the roster. I suspect there will be some changes before next season.
They have definitely been working with a sub-optimal secondary. My opinion is at a 10,000ft perspective it’s a scheme issue, not a personnel issue. Yes, the personnel needs to improve/get healthy. But I’m not convinced that will be the cure-all to their issues.

The Lions love in this thread is hilarious. They have been one of the most irrelevant pro sports teams in the past 25 years. Oh, but past results don’t guarantee future performance? Please. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Defenses will adjust to Justin Fields. The amount he runs is unsustainable. This is still very much the Vikes/Packers division.
Fields isn't an NFL QB. He can't throw.

I really call BS on us being a "3-4".

They don't even pretend with Hunter, anymore. He's always in a 3-point stance, just like a normal 40 front DE. We have two big boys with hands in the dirt, just like a normal 40 front DE. Then Z is in a 2-point stance, or sometimes its Wonnum out there.

We have 4 guys up on the LOS more often than not. Whether its really a 4-2-5 or a defacto 2-4-5 ... it's all hand-waiving to some degree.
I agree with you. But this may just be the defense they can run in a transition year. Either way, the shell coverage they run is garbage

Over the past 25 years they have been the same number of Super Bowls as the Vikings.

While they have had 7 decades of failure, perhaps their current regime Brad Holmes/GM & Chris Spielman/President-CEO who have only been in charge for a short time can or will figure it out.

Their roster is solid and they have a the added draft capital from the Rams. I think they are set up well to compete over the next 3-5 seasons.

As amazing as some of the running QB's are, they all have trouble sustaining it for 5 + years. RGIII, Kaepernick (granted that wasn't all football), even Cam Newton had a pretty short shelf life.

Lamar Jackson is now struggling to stay healthy. Fields is hurt. We'll see what happens with Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts, who I like. Mahomes has the right balance. He can run, but he rarely does.

looks like Mike Zimmer to Colorado is actually going to happen. He would be the DC for Deion Sanders.

that is, if you believe Larry Fitzgerald, Sr. He's the one I saw tweeting that it was a done deal.

Zimmer ever coach Sanders? I will say this- Sanders will suck some talent form the Big Ten. Some Big Ten teams will be stuck with wrs who resemble ummm wes welker.

As amazing as some of the running QB's are, they all have trouble sustaining it for 5 + years. RGIII, Kaepernick (granted that wasn't all football), even Cam Newton had a pretty short shelf life.

Lamar Jackson is now struggling to stay healthy. Fields is hurt. We'll see what happens with Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts, who I like. Mahomes has the right balance. He can run, but he rarely does.

I would add Aaron Rodgers as another QB who has always been a pretty good runner when he needs to be, but only does it as a last resort. His running stats are very comparable to Mahomes at the same stages of their careers.

I would add Aaron Rodgers as another QB who has always been a pretty good runner when he needs to be, but only does it as a last resort. His running stats are very comparable to Mahomes at the same stages of their careers.

The big difference is how those offenses run their QB's. Chicago and Philly and Baltimore, and to some extent Buffalo, are running a 6-back offense, single wing, whatever you want to call it. They call a lot of running plays with the QB the intended ball-carrier. QBs like Mahomes and Rodgers, Russell Wilson when he was worth a shit, did not have 8-14 running plays called for them each game.

It's tough to see it sustainable, just way too many guys in the NFL that are so much bigger, faster and stronger; those hits are going to pile up and take a toll.

Watch Baltimore rattle off a few wins with Huntley as QB (like they did last Sunday), who is a much better thrower than Lamar; that will make things interesting, no doubt.

I was highly skeptical of Allen coming out of college. His completion % in college was garbage and few significantly raise their accuracy from college to the NFL. But he did. A credit to him that he obviously worked on that and made himself into a heck of a QB. Justin Fields should take notes. Fields has had a string of great games where he’s been running like crazy, which has opened up some throwing windows for him. His ability to pass is suspect, and without those extra defenders in the box to prevent him from running and rather in coverage, he has struggled to complete passes. The NFL is too good- if you are doing one thing well, they will adjust and slow you down. It might take a season, but they’ll figure it out. It’s up to him to become a better passer to keep himself relevant.

But back to Allen, what he has going for him is his size. That may keep him going a bit longer than the others. But IMO, it will still catch up to him, so if I were a Bills fan, I’d enjoy the here and now.

Over the past 25 years they have been the same number of Super Bowls as the Vikings.

While they have had 7 decades of failure, perhaps their current regime Brad Holmes/GM & Chris Spielman/President-CEO who have only been in charge for a short time can or will figure it out.

Their roster is solid and they have a the added draft capital from the Rams. I think they are set up well to compete over the next 3-5 seasons.
The last time they won the division is 1993. The division has been either 4 or 5 teams that entire time. To not be the top team out of 4 or 5 total teams in any given year over the course of almost 30 years is statistically tiny. Like Twins playoff streak probability tiny. The Vikes have won 7 since then, and will add an 8th this year, but you obviously know that. Sure, the Lions could be building something. If they turn one of those picks into a prolific QB, then maybe. And even then, just maybe. They had Stafford and Megatron and turned it into a few years of mediocrity up from total garbage. They got those picks because they took on Goff’s ridiculous contract that goes through 2024. Even if they draft a QB, they won’t be able to get rid of Goff, unless they also give up a bunch of capital like the Rams had to do. With that contract, it will limit their ability to sign enough free agents to compensate for a lacking at the QB position. Nevermind the fact that luring quality free agents to Detroit is hard. So they will have to do it almost completely through the draft or trades.

Yes, if they magically hit on all their high picks, they could be good in a few years. Cleveland did it (with even more high picks than the Lions) and they managed to be relevant for about a season. You are right in that it’s theoretically possible for them to be good, but I’m not betting on it. You could too, but if you’ve been betting on the Lions, you’d have dug yourself a pretty deep hole by now.

The last time they won the division is 1993. The division has been either 4 or 5 teams that entire time. To not be the top team out of 4 or 5 total teams in any given year over the course of almost 30 years is statistically tiny. Like Twins playoff streak probability tiny. The Vikes have won 7 since then, and will add an 8th this year, but you obviously know that. Sure, the Lions could be building something. If they turn one of those picks into a prolific QB, then maybe. And even then, just maybe. They had Stafford and Megatron and turned it into a few years of mediocrity up from total garbage. They got those picks because they took on Goff’s ridiculous contract that goes through 2024. Even if they draft a QB, they won’t be able to get rid of Goff, unless they also give up a bunch of capital like the Rams had to do. With that contract, it will limit their ability to sign enough free agents to compensate for a lacking at the QB position. Nevermind the fact that luring quality free agents to Detroit is hard. So they will have to do it almost completely through the draft or trades.

Yes, if they magically hit on all their high picks, they could be good in a few years. Cleveland did it (with even more high picks than the Lions) and they managed to be relevant for about a season. You are right in that it’s theoretically possible for them to be good, but I’m not betting on it. You could too, but if you’ve been betting on the Lions, you’d have dug yourself a pretty deep hole by now.
Betting on the Lions in 2022 would be profitable. 8-4 vs the spread including 5 straight covers.

Interesting that the line opened as Vikes favored by 2.5 and the action has pushed it to Lions by 2.5. While just a snapshot, it indicates that the the betting public is buying into Detroit big time (and/or not feeling Minnesota).

Last edited:

I was highly skeptical of Allen coming out of college. His completion % in college was garbage and few significantly raise their accuracy from college to the NFL. But he did. A credit to him that he obviously worked on that and made himself into a heck of a QB. Justin Fields should take notes. Fields has had a string of great games where he’s been running like crazy, which has opened up some throwing windows for him. His ability to pass is suspect, and without those extra defenders in the box to prevent him from running and rather in coverage, he has struggled to complete passes. The NFL is too good- if you are doing one thing well, they will adjust and slow you down. It might take a season, but they’ll figure it out. It’s up to him to become a better passer to keep himself relevant.

But back to Allen, what he has going for him is his size. That may keep him going a bit longer than the others. But IMO, it will still catch up to him, so if I were a Bills fan, I’d enjoy the here and now.
Allen could throw the ball the length of the field.

Betting on the Lions in 2022 would be profitable. 8-4 vs the spread including 5 straight covers.

Interesting that the line opened as Vikes favored by 2.5 and the action has pushed it to Lions by 2.5. While just a snapshot, it indicates that the the betting public is buying into Detroit big time (and/or not feeling Minnesota).
You could also probably get a cheap futures bet on them (Lions) as well if you were so inclined. It seems the national media doesn't think too highly of the Vikes, which permeates to those betting, which is what is pushing that line. I mean, at some point the Vikes luck has to end with these end of game performances, doesn't it?

You could also probably get a cheap futures bet on them (Lions) as well if you were so inclined. It seems the national media doesn't think too highly of the Vikes, which permeates to those betting, which is what is pushing that line. I mean, at some point the Vikes luck has to end with these end of game performances, doesn't it?

Is it all luck? I wonder.

"The harder I practice, the luckier I get."

— Gary Player

A lot of Gopherholers don't think too highly of the Vikes either, perhaps the majority.

The slide rule in the nfl is impossible. Goeff basically slide at the DB’s feet and it’s a penalty for a late hit. The fact that sliding is even allowed is a joke as it’s tackle football.

Can only hope this is the only season Ed Donatell is here. They can’t rush the passer, are dead last in pass coverage, and bottom 1/3rd in points allowed.

Running the ball on 1st down is clearly not working yet we keep doing it.

Top Bottom