All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

There's a good chance the Vikings will be a better team next year with a worse record. Moving on from some combination of Cook, Thielen, Kendricks, Smith, Peterson and using that cap $$ on younger defensive players will help. Will they go 14-3? No.

Mac Jones threw for 385.

This guy threw for 365 and missed a couple wide open long one.

Dak threw for 275, but quit throwing. Would have had 400 easily.

How the hell they came out of that at 2-1 is anyones guess.

Donatell will be back because we are winning. I'd look elsewhere this off-season.
We have success when we blitz, too! That's like some of the only time we get to the damn QB!

Get rid of him, good grief.

Vikings defense: bend, and then bend to the point of breaking, and then start to break a little bit, and then fully start to break, and then pull a horseshoe out of your ass in order to not break all the way.

It's going to fail. And it's going to fail in the playoffs. Because of course.

Detroit gets the Rams pick next year and it's currently the third pick. They also get their own pick.

To top it off, Jameson Williamson is going to be coming back.

This team is ready to make some noise in this division and that may very well be next year.
I don't care if you have 3 toes and 1 asscheek.

I keep reading how we should be excited since we are 10-2. Sure its great, but we've been here before and know that this defense is unsustainable. No team gives up yards like this and is expected to get to a Super Bowl.

So if Vikings play at home vs Dallas again, or somehow make it to NFC Championship back in Philly, does any Vikings fan think they have a chance in hell at this point? Its ugly.
Philly was Week 2.

Dallas ... was a crazy fluke. It's not like they've done that to every team. Giants hung right with them the very next game. They lost to the Packers.

That was just a crazy game where it all fell apart. It happens in a 17 game season.

/eternal hope mode

What were they drunk on vs jets? Made mike white look like Warren moon
He throws a good ball.

He had all the time in the world. Our DC won't blitz. Our DL can't get pressure on their own.

Corey Davis (former Fleck player at WMU!) and Garret Wilson can get open and catch the ball.

They're likely to get Washington/NY Giants or Seattle in round 1. Not exactly murderer's row.
I'm hoping all four from the NFC East get in, just for the novelty of it.

"Should have" lost at Washington. Not sure how that then plays into a home playoff game. They say rematches favor the loser from the first game. Would that be the actual loser (them), or the should've been loser (us)?

What happened to Lance?

I honestly don't follow the NFL outside of the Vikings and who they are playing that week.
He’s out as well for the year. They played Brock Purdy, who was their rookie backup yesterday, and won. He was the last pick in the draft, Mr. Irrelevant. No way they make it far in the playoffs with him.

I'm hoping all four from the NFC East get in, just for the novelty of it.

"Should have" lost at Washington. Not sure how that then plays into a home playoff game. They say rematches favor the loser from the first game. Would that be the actual loser (them), or the should've been loser (us)?
That's more an issue if you get a Divisional opponent and have to beat them 3 times. Washington isn't that good. We shouldn't lose a home play-off game to Taylor Heinicke.

He’s out as well for the year. They played Brock Purdy, who was their rookie backup yesterday, and won. He was the last pick in the draft, Mr. Irrelevant. No way they make it far in the playoffs with him.
Shanahan's good. He's not that good.

There's a good chance the Vikings will be a better team next year with a worse record. Moving on from some combination of Cook, Thielen, Kendricks, Smith, Peterson and using that cap $$ on younger defensive players will help. Will they go 14-3? No.
Beyond that--next year--the North is going to be a challenge. Heck, Detroit might be the favorites going in. Chicago has had their moments this year, and the Packers are never down for very long...and Jordan Love looks like he can play.

Beyond that--next year--the North is going to be a challenge. Heck, Detroit might be the favorites going in. Chicago has had their moments this year, and the Packers are never down for very long...and Jordan Love looks like he can play.
Who can say? The Lions will still be the Lions. Their fans are in a panic about losing their OC to another job and want to fire Campbell to keep him. But I doubt that will happen. Will their offense fall apart with out him? Will Goff just turn back into a pumpkin? A lot can happen. As for the Bears, I'm not sold on them at all yet. The Packers will almost certainly bounce back. I don't think Rodgers is actually going anywhere. But they won't be 13-3 good.

He was distraught in the presser announcing that Jimmy G was done.
They are probably the best team in the NFC outside of QB. But not much you can do about it. Last year was their chance to win the Super Bowl. They choked it in the NFC title game.

as far as the Vike's defense:

consider this - the #1 and #2 draft picks - who were supposed to help with secondary depth, are both out for the year with injuries.

Dantzler has been out for a month. Evans has missed time with a concussion and will now miss more time.

Duke Shelley is playing in the rotation at CB.

this is a patchwork secondary right now. If they can get closer to healthy by the playoffs, that should help with the pass defense.

I'm not making excuses for them. But the new regime has only had 1 off-season to work on the roster. I suspect there will be some changes before next season.

Rodgers- you think Toms gonna be back again- go spend time with your kids.
I think he will, especially if he can go to SF with all the pieces ready. You don't alienate your wife just to squeeze out one more season on a mediocre Bucs team.

Rodgers would probably love to go there too. Closer to home, his current gf/bf. But his massive contract makes it much more complicated.

I think he will, especially if he can go to SF with all the pieces ready. You don't alienate your wife just to squeeze out one more season on a mediocre Bucs team.
I’m tired of both of them.

as far as the Vike's defense:

consider this - the #1 and #2 draft picks - who were supposed to help with secondary depth, are both out for the year with injuries.

Dantzler has been out for a month. Evans has missed time with a concussion and will now miss more time.

Duke Shelley is playing in the rotation at CB.

this is a patchwork secondary right now. If they can get closer to healthy by the playoffs, that should help with the pass defense.

I'm not making excuses for them. But the new regime has only had 1 off-season to work on the roster. I suspect there will be some changes before next season.

Agree. I'm not the biggest Donatell fan, but the main issue with the defense is personnel. They were terrible last year, are transitioning to a 3-4, and have the injuries you mentioned. It will take a few years to get the right players in to improve the defense.

The defense is giving up a ton of yards, but points allowed is more important and they are ranked 20th currently. The Super Bowl Rams ranked 15th and the Bengals 17th last season.

Agree. I'm not the biggest Donatell fan, but the main issue with the defense is personnel. They were terrible last year, are transitioning to a 3-4, and have the injuries you mentioned. It will take a few years to get the right players in to improve the defense.

The defense is giving up a ton of yards, but points allowed is more important and they are ranked 20th currently. The Super Bowl Rams ranked 15th and the Bengals 17th last season.
Yep. They don't have the right people on the D-line or at LB for the defense to work. The secondary is what it is. Hope Cine is healthy and becomes the best Safety on the team. Sign or draft good corners.

Booth won't make it in the NFL. He's too injury prone. His body can't handle athletic stress that the NFL requires. Terrible pick. He has been hurt basically his whole football life. You can't trust those guys.

Yep. They don't have the right people on the D-line or at LB for the defense to work. The secondary is what it is. Hope Cine is healthy and becomes the best Safety on the team. Sign or draft good corners.

Booth won't make it in the NFL. He's too injury prone. His body can't handle athletic stress that the NFL requires. Terrible pick. He has been hurt basically his whole football life. You can't trust those guys.
CB has become like QB. Either draft a sure thing in the top 10 (Pat Surtain, Gardner etc.) or wait until the 3rd round. Hughes, Gladney and now Booth all busts in the last 5 drafts. Meanwhile Dantzler and Evans were taken 3rd and 4th round.

CB has become like QB. Either draft a sure thing in the top 10 (Pat Surtain, Gardner etc.) or wait until the 3rd round. Hughes, Gladney and now Booth all busts in the last 5 drafts. Meanwhile Dantzler and Evans were taken 3rd and 4th round.
You can even go back to trae Waynes.........was somewhat good for a few years but didn't last long here.

CBs have a high bust rate. You don't draft them in Round 1.

Draft pass rushers, QBs, WRs, and offensive tackles in Round 1

I really call BS on us being a "3-4".

They don't even pretend with Hunter, anymore. He's always in a 3-point stance, just like a normal 40 front DE. We have two big boys with hands in the dirt, just like a normal 40 front DE. Then Z is in a 2-point stance, or sometimes its Wonnum out there.

We have 4 guys up on the LOS more often than not. Whether its really a 4-2-5 or a defacto 2-4-5 ... it's all hand-waiving to some degree.

Top Bottom