All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

in the NFL right now, there are probably 5 or 6 really good teams and 5 or 6 really bad teams.

that leaves 20 to 22 teams that are somewhere in the middle. when those teams meet, generally either team has a chance to win, with the game often being decided by injuries, turnovers and penalties.

in short, most weeks in the NFL, it's a coin flip. that's why the TV networks and the gamblers love it, because you wind up with a lot of close games.

and you don't get the huge gulf between the best and the worst teams the way you do in baseball.
Largely agree with this.

Also, every week is independent of previous results, for those 20-22 teams. Unless you're really good or really bad, and just cruise along, each week really is its own season.

I think the D was setup to just keep us in games and let the O win them.

Now O'C is figuring out that, at least for this year, we may need to be more aggressive on D (in terms of blitzing) than he was thinking.

Our pass rush is just non-existent. We don't have Aaron Donald. Hunter is largely MIA.
Hunter has been incredibly disappointing so far. I thought he'd have a really good year with more pass rush help on the DL.

I think the D was setup to just keep us in games and let the O win them.

Now O'C is figuring out that, at least for this year, we may need to be more aggressive on D (in terms of blitzing) than he was thinking.

Our pass rush is just non-existent. We don't have Aaron Donald. Hunter is largely MIA.
It dawned on him he shouldnt be running the Denny Green prevent for the entire game? That doesnt seem realistic to me that a coach would come in and not be aggressive on D.

Hunter has been incredibly disappointing so far. I thought he'd have a really good year with more pass rush help on the DL.

In my mind, this has been one of the bigger surprises with the Vikings so far; nonexistent pass rush with healthy Hunter and Z. Smith. With any luck, it's something as simple as the front 4, front 7 becoming more comfortable with the new D schemes. We can hope I guess

In my mind, this has been one of the bigger surprises with the Vikings so far; nonexistent pass rush with healthy Hunter and Z. Smith. With any luck, it's something as simple as the front 4, front 7 becoming more comfortable with the new D schemes. We can hope I guess
Hunter doesn't look comfortable when he is lined up as a stand up OLB. They'd be better off playing him at one of the down lineman more often and using some of the other guys to play that stand up OLB spot.

Speaking of stand-up OLB's and the new scheme ... I thought we were supposed to be a 3-4, now?

I feel like more often than not, we see essentially a 40 front. Two big guys in a 3-point stance, and then the outside two guys are stand up.

What? How is that any different than a regular 4-3, other than the ends being down in a normal stance?? Why is it better?

Speaking of stand-up OLB's and the new scheme ... I thought we were supposed to be a 3-4, now?

I feel like more often than not, we see essentially a 40 front. Two big guys in a 3-point stance, and then the outside two guys are stand up.

What? How is that any different than a regular 4-3, other than the ends being down in a normal stance?? Why is it better?
I think they acknowledged before the season that they would be spending a majority of the time in the nickel, so 4-2-5. The 3-4 is the base defense. Through the first two games they spent 86% of their snaps in nickel, and I doubt that changed much in the next two games.

I find it very odd that the Vikings opted to not have a bye following the game this week in London. They play Oct 9 at Noon against the Bears, at home.

If they win, no harm no foul. The Saints also chose eschew the bye and play Oct 9.

I wonder if they are guinea pigs in the event there is ever a franchise on the other side of the pond?!?
Giants vs Packers in London this week, also with an 8:30 AM start. Both teams also no Bye the following week, so that must be the Group Think. Packers at home the next week, playing the Jets. They don't have their Bye until December 12, which is really late. Odd they go that far into the season. Somewhat of a break after their Thursday game, 11/17 (Titans at Lambeau).

As I fan, I loved the Vikings playing at 8:30 AM start. Left plenty of time to make it to a 1:30 PM tee time and really enjoy the pleasant afternoon weather. Sort of reminded me of the 2 years I lived in LA, getting up for 10am starts.

Last edited:

I think they acknowledged before the season that they would be spending a majority of the time in the nickel, so 4-2-5. The 3-4 is the base defense. Through the first two games they spent 86% of their snaps in nickel, and I doubt that changed much in the next two games.
You can do nickle in a 3-3-5, as well.

To me, a true 3-X means you have 3 true defensive linemen, guys in a 3-point stance, and X guys in a 2-point stance. We always seem to have the end guys on the LOS be in a 2-point stance, and I would call those "OLB's" rather than "DE's".

So to go from such a true 3-4 to what you're talking about, would seem to indicate they're taking out a true DE (3-point stance) to put in the nickle corner. So really a 2-4-5, in my book.

But it's all hand-waiving to some extent, especially with our "OLB's" really just guys who would be DE's in a 4-3 that are standing up.

Our pass rush hasn't been very good but it's all connected. I think part of the reason we haven't generated the kind of pass rush we wanted is because we haven't been able to stop the run. That changes everything.

It's also a bit our schedule. The Lions have given up the second fewest sacks all year, the Packers and Eagles haven't given up a ton.

But yeah, it's been disappointing.

In my main fantasy league I ended up with half the Broncos offense too. Didn't do it on purpose but just happened that way. Some of the throws Wilson was making were just horrible. He looked like Josh Freeman in a Vikings uniform.

Wilson is washed up. It was evident last year. Yet, the Broncos spent a quarter billion on him, not to mention the draft picks.

Paton is getting fired.

Wilson is washed up. It was evident last year. Yet, the Broncos spent a quarter billion on him, not to mention the draft picks.

Paton is getting fired.
Trading for him was defensible. They've been in QB purgatory for 6 years and were desperate. But there was no reason to give him an extension. He had 2 years left on his contract. If he was great this year, they could have done it then. I don't know what cap savings they got out of it, but it can't have been worth it. They're screwed. The next coach will have to try and make it work for a couple years at least. This is at least partially coaching because he wasn't anywhere near this bad least year.

Trading for him was defensible. They've been in QB purgatory for 6 years and were desperate. But there was no reason to give him an extension. He had 2 years left on his contract. If he was great this year, they could have done it then. I don't know what cap savings they got out of it, but it can't have been worth it. They're screwed. The next coach will have to try and make it work for a couple years at least. This is at least partially coaching because he wasn't anywhere near this bad least year.

Sources: Broncos QB Russell Wilson has partially torn lat​

Denver Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson played Thursday night against the Colts, and three quarters of the previous game against the Raiders, while battling a partially torn lat near his right shoulder, according to sources.

Wilson suffered the injury in the beginning of the second quarter of the loss to Las Vegas during a game in which he threw two touchdowns and ran for another.

Vikings in the process of letting the Bears back in the game. Of course.

And of course in true viking fashion after a 5 yard punt and back to back touchdowns it’s now a 5 point game.

Defensive play calling continues to be mind boggling. 3rd and long and we go with a zone blitz that leaves a wide open middle of the field with just one DE trying to cover it. WTF.

Defensive play calling continues to be mind boggling. 3rd and long and we go with a zone blitz that leaves a wide open middle of the field with just one DE trying to cover it. WTF.
100% correct! My brother had just texted me basically the same thing.

They're not winning this. This will a top 3 all-time choke job.

Ed Donatello basically said my scheme is perfect and it’s up to the players to play to my scheme.

The Vikings have been so lucky this year as both Hunter and Z. Smith have been healthy so far and yet they get no pressure on the QB.

Cousins had Ham wide open for a 10 yard gain. Tries to throw to Thielen in double coverage and gets picked. They'll be behind shortly.

The only reason this team isn’t 0-4 is because they have a lot of talent. They’re extremely poorly coached.

Smith was back in coverage too on that Fields TD that called back. WTF did we sign him if we’re not going to use him properly?

Can’t rush the passer without blitzing. Can’t rush in lanes to keep the QB contained. Can’t guard anyone in the secondary unless they don’t blitz. This whole defense scheme is just a disaster.

Of course the offense could score a point in the 2nd half.

Not to mention 2 missed field goals.

Top Bottom