All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Well, blame the owners. from what has been reported, the Wilfs were adamant during the HC and GM hiring process that they thought the team was capable of contending this year. supposedly, any candidates who talked about a total rebuild were not considered for either job.

So, Kwesi and KOC were stuck in a situation where they had to try to win right now, and that no doubt impacted a lot of personnel decisions.

realistically, it will take 2-3 years of good drafts and smart free agent signings to build up the roster into a team that has a real chance to contend - but by that point, Cousins is likely gone so they also have to find a new QB.

Well, blame the owners. from what has been reported, the Wilfs were adamant during the HC and GM hiring process that they thought the team was capable of contending this year. supposedly, any candidates who talked about a total rebuild were not considered for either job.

So, Kwesi and KOC were stuck in a situation where they had to try to win right now, and that no doubt impacted a lot of personnel decisions.

realistically, it will take 2-3 years of good drafts and smart free agent signings to build up the roster into a team that has a real chance to contend - but by that point, Cousins is likely gone so they also have to find a new QB.
Yes, this is the crappy part about owners. They know if they win 8-9 games every year, the fans will keep showing up. They don’t need to go to a SB to be financially successful. They just need to have many more years as mediocre instead of terrible. String a couple terrible years in a row and it’ll affect their accounting ledger.

Yes, this is the crappy part about owners. They know if they win 8-9 games every year, the fans will keep showing up. They don’t need to go to a SB to be financially successful. They just need to have many more years as mediocre instead of terrible. String a couple terrible years in a row and it’ll affect their accounting ledger.
Will it affect their ledger given the NFL lucrative contracts. Besides like Detroit and Chicago fans will turn out with their yearly optimism outlook.

Will it affect their ledger given the NFL lucrative contracts. Besides like Detroit and Chicago fans will turn out with their yearly optimism outlook.
Detroit is always unreal. They have scored 140 points this year......35 points per game

1-3

I guess the good side of this is they’ve played terrible in this 3 game stretch but still went 2-1. The schedule is pretty easy the rest of the way. At Buffalo and Miami will probably be losses but the rest are very winnable.

I mean, at the end of the day, they're 3-1 with a win against Green Bay. At the quarter point (kind of) of the season, it's hard to ask for a lot more than that? All while implementing new systems on both sides of the ball?
and they lost on the road to a 4-0 team. The scary thing is they were completely outclassed. But they have time to get it fixed. However, I am underwhelmed by the new DC and his approach

I mean, at the end of the day, they're 3-1 with a win against Green Bay. At the quarter point (kind of) of the season, it's hard to ask for a lot more than that? All while implementing new systems on both sides of the ball?
I am not arguing with you but as a pro athlete why do you feel the need to post these things on social media.

They've face 3 Top 10 defenses so far and find themselves 3-1. It hasn't been pretty but I would expect them to be 1-3 if they only played well in one game so far.

I guess the good side of this is they’ve played terrible in this 3 game stretch but still went 2-1. The schedule is pretty easy the rest of the way. At Buffalo and Miami will probably be losses but the rest are very winnable.
I don't think the Vikings have played "terrible" the last 2 games. Played "ok" would be my interpretation, against the Lions & Saints who are both about equal in talent. Found a way, somehow to win. Yesterday, I actually felt like they outplayed the Saints throughout most of the contest, just couldn't get it done in the red zone.

That's just how the NFL works for probably 2/3rds of the league. Make a play here or there, and it's a victory. Hose them, up go home losers.

Probably felt like a much shorter flight home to MSP after the double doinker than it did for those going back to NO.

You don't have to love the Wilf's but nothing they have done suggests they aren't trying to win a Super Bowl. In the NFL every team prints $$. If they are resistant to a rebuild, it's because they're stubborn, not because of their profit margins.

He should now have time to learn the defense, so he can actually play defense instead of special teams next year.

He should now have time to learn the defense, so he can actually play defense instead of special teams next year.
Gawd, I wanted them to stay at 13 or whatever it was and pick the best receiver or defensive lineman.

This just adds to it.

in the NFL right now, there are probably 5 or 6 really good teams and 5 or 6 really bad teams.

that leaves 20 to 22 teams that are somewhere in the middle. when those teams meet, generally either team has a chance to win, with the game often being decided by injuries, turnovers and penalties.

in short, most weeks in the NFL, it's a coin flip. that's why the TV networks and the gamblers love it, because you wind up with a lot of close games.

and you don't get the huge gulf between the best and the worst teams the way you do in baseball.

Gawd, I wanted them to stay at 13 or whatever it was and pick the best receiver or defensive lineman.

This just adds to it.
Kyle Hamilton was there, and he's a better safety prospect. Too much dumb to go around.

Very hard to “learn” a defense when you are injured. There is only so much you gain from watching film or studying the playbook. Gotta get actual reps in practice or in game.

I am not arguing with you but as a pro athlete why do you feel the need to post these things on social media.

My post wasn't really responding to Boyd, just more in general to the woe and agony over where the Vikings are right now.

Totally agree, I don't get why some players feel the need to vent like that but I guess if that's what you feel you have to do... wouldn't have been my choice, better to just keep producing, keep winning, that will do all the talking you need

My post wasn't really responding to Boyd, just more in general to the woe and agony over where the Vikings are right now.

Totally agree, I don't get why some players feel the need to vent like that but I guess if that's what you feel you have to do... wouldn't have been my choice, better to just keep producing, keep winning, that will do all the talking you need
Like you said or someone said 60% if the games come down to 1 possession and the refs have such an impact on the game.

in the NFL right now, there are probably 5 or 6 really good teams and 5 or 6 really bad teams.

that leaves 20 to 22 teams that are somewhere in the middle. when those teams meet, generally either team has a chance to win, with the game often being decided by injuries, turnovers and penalties.

in short, most weeks in the NFL, it's a coin flip. that's why the TV networks and the gamblers love it, because you wind up with a lot of close games.

and you don't get the huge gulf between the best and the worst teams the way you do in baseball.

It's really early right now, still need a few weeks to sort out who the contenders are and the pretenders. Last year, the AZ Cardinals started out 7-0, 10-2, and limped into a first round, road playoff game where they were embarrassed. Steelers started out 1-3 last year and made the playoffs. 49ers started out 2-4 and made it to the NFC Championship

I'll reserve judgment on who's good and who's not for another few weeks.

I don’t know there’s anything revolutionary about this offense. I’m willing to cut the dude some slack, as he’s new to this. Problem with not only trying to game plan, call plays, and run a team is that’s a lot to juggle. I suppose I’m old school, but I just don’t get the head coach calling plays bit. It’s like Jerry Jones the owner also being the GM. Focus on your job and excel at it, instead of doing two jobs half-ass. The other problem with this setup is what happens if the offense doesn’t improve? You have to fire your head coach or force him to give up running the offense, which probably doesn’t end well.

This team looks a lot like it has the past number of years- the “in between” purgatory. Not bad enough to bottom out, but not good enough to have a legit shot at a SB.
Disagree 100% when it comes to the NFL. Some of the best teams have had head coaches who were calling the plays.

Also, just because you are calling the plays doesn't mean you necessarily are coming up with the game plan. That's what the (officially designated) coordinators do. Analyze opponent film and come up with which plays should work best in scenarios X,Y,Z.

In college, where the HC is the "seller/closer" in recruiting, a job as big as anything, then what you say makes sense to me.

In pros, you have a whole GM and staff to take care of getting the best talent in the door, coaches to coach em up, and entire buildings of staff to do this, that, and the other. Well within reason for the HC to calls plays for O or D, in my opinion, in the league.

It's really early right now, still need a few weeks to sort out who the contenders are and the pretenders. Last year, the AZ Cardinals started out 7-0, 10-2, and limped into a first round, road playoff game where they were embarrassed. Steelers started out 1-3 last year and made the playoffs. 49ers started out 2-4 and made it to the NFC Championship

I'll reserve judgment on who's good and who's not for another few weeks.
especially now with teams not using the preseason

and they lost on the road to a 4-0 team. The scary thing is they were completely outclassed. But they have time to get it fixed. However, I am underwhelmed by the new DC and his approach
I think the D was setup to just keep us in games and let the O win them.

Now O'C is figuring out that, at least for this year, we may need to be more aggressive on D (in terms of blitzing) than he was thinking.

Our pass rush is just non-existent. We don't have Aaron Donald. Hunter is largely MIA.

Top Bottom