All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

They will need to win 28-24 games this year. The days of winning Zimmer games 13-10 are gone.

I don't love the 3-4 with this personnel. They need to try Cine at LB or something. Kendricks is too slow for this scheme. And it's clear that Hunter/Smith are square pegs in a round hole too. No pass rush.

Agree the pass rush seems non-existent. Until it's not, like at the very last play where we forced Goff to chuck it up and then Metallus got the pick that he missed the play before.

Of course, all of that is precipitated by the decision to try for a FG and then the decision call a time out and let us get setup for the TD play.

Niners and Broncos in a 7-5 rock fight going to the 4th quarter. Ugly.

Implementing new schemes on both sides of the ball and not having starters take any game reps in the preseason was not a good decision. It's going to take time for the players to get comfortable with what they are doing and with in play adjustments, while also having coaches become more familiar with what works for the players.
To be 2 -1 at this point with how we have played is a plus, especially with the 2 being division games.

Implementing new schemes on both sides of the ball and not having starters take any game reps in the preseason was not a good decision. It's going to take time for the players to get comfortable with what they are doing and with in play adjustments, while also having coaches become more familiar with what works for the players.
To be 2 -1 at this point with how we have played is a plus, especially with the 2 being division games.
Let's hope implementation with limited practice is the problem.

I get the feeling that this entire season is a coin flip.

from week to week, flip a coin to determine the outcome.

the Vikes have enough talent that they have a chance to win any game they play.

But the Vikes have enough weaknesses that they have a chance to lose any game they play.

I still see this ending up at 10-7 or maybe 9-8. a lot depends on injuries, because I don't think this team has any depth.

One thing that hasn't changed is Cam Dantzler playing ten or so yards off of the receiver, not appearing to give a shit and doing everything possible to avoid meaningful contact. I have no idea how he has a job in the NFL. If I were an opposing NFL OC I would game plan to find him and punish him from the moment he got off of the team bus until the Vikings ordered him a post game Uber out of town.

I find it very odd that the Vikings opted to not have a bye following the game this week in London. They play Oct 9 at Noon against the Bears, at home.

If they win, no harm no foul. The Saints also chose eschew the bye and play Oct 9.

I wonder if they are guinea pigs in the event there is ever a franchise on the other side of the pond?!?

I find it very odd that the Vikings opted to not have a bye following the game this week in London. They play Oct 9 at Noon against the Bears, at home.

If they win, no harm no foul. The Saints also chose eschew the bye and play Oct 9.

I wonder if they are guinea pigs in the event there is ever a franchise on the other side of the pond?!?

saw a thread on Twitter from one of the Vikes' beat writers. He had interviewed someone from the medical staff, who had this really long explanation of how the Vikes made their plans for the week. lot of scientific stuff about adjusting to the change in time zones, circadian rhythms, etc.

the bottom line is that, based on all of this medical stuff, the team decided to wait until Thursday to make the flight, leaving in the evening so the players could sleep on the plane.

the same information was used to recommend that the team have its bye later in the season because they felt they had a plan to handle the time zone stuff and minimize the impact.

saw a thread on Twitter from one of the Vikes' beat writers. He had interviewed someone from the medical staff, who had this really long explanation of how the Vikes made their plans for the week. lot of scientific stuff about adjusting to the change in time zones, circadian rhythms, etc.

the bottom line is that, based on all of this medical stuff, the team decided to wait until Thursday to make the flight, leaving in the evening so the players could sleep on the plane.

the same information was used to recommend that the team have its bye later in the season because they felt they had a plan to handle the time zone stuff and minimize the impact.
Thanks for the background.

The bye is only 2 Weeks later (Oct 23), so it's hard for me to fathom it's going to make anything more than a nominal difference.

Is it concerning that 1st rounder Lewis Cine hasn't played at all? I kinda forgot about him to be honest. I know it's early but seems a little odd he hasn't played at all.

Is it concerning that 1st rounder Lewis Cine hasn't played at all? I kinda forgot about him to be honest. I know it's early but seems a little odd he hasn't played at all.
Unless it's injury related, I would say that it is indeed a Red Flag.

I've seen speculation that he's "having trouble picking up the scheme" and being in the right place. Still not good, but at least it's not injury related or a sign that he's being physically out played. And Booth can't stay healthy. Ed Ingram is keeping this draft class from being a complete bust to date.

I didn't know teams were given the option. It's possible that's what this is, but I still think putting a team there isn't logistically feasible.

I didn't know teams were given the option. It's possible that's what this is, but I still think putting a team there isn't logistically feasible.
I tend to agree on the logistics, but I also know the NFL covets having a game played at 8:30 AM (Central Time) to make it a Sunday Quad-header in the States and prime time in some foreign markets.

I tend to agree on the logistics, but I also know the NFL covets having a game played at 8:30 AM (Central Time) to make it a Sunday Quad-header in the States and prime time in some foreign markets.
I think they play 2 London games now? I could see expanding to 4. But putting a team there would be a huge competitive disadvantage. Free agents largely won't want to go there without getting a large salary premium, currency/tax differences etc. It's been an issue at times for the Blue Jays and that's a much easier sell.

The bye weeks don't start until week 6 so maybe they didn't have a choice being the London game is so early? Or maybe the team didn't want it to be so early too.

The bye weeks don't start until week 6 so maybe they didn't have a choice being the London game is so early? Or maybe the team didn't want it to be so early too.
I'm guessing it was a preference not a mandate. The Saints or some other team would have also had to agree to an early bye, can not have an odd number of teams playing in any given week.

I've never understood the reluctance of an early bye. When training camp is factored in, they have been at it for 10 weeks already. Plus there will be another extended break when they play Thursday night, which this year is Turkey Day.

Since my NFL experience is zilch, I will trust the powers that be. Unless they stink against the Bears.

Last edited:

I'm guessing it was a preference not a mandate. The Saints or some other team would have also agreed to an early bye, can not have an odd number of teams playing in any given week.

I've never understood the reluctance of an early bye. When training camp is factored in, they have been at it for 10 weeks already. Plus there will be another extended break when they play Thursday night, which this year is Turkey Day.

Since my NFL experience is zilch, I will trust the powers that be. Unless they stink against the Bears.
At this point though, most teams don't have their best players doing a lot in camp.

At this point though, most teams don't have their best players doing a lot in camp.
True. Also Exhibitions are now reduced to 3 games (except for HoF Gamers), so everyone has a full week before their Season Opener. Makes sense to not want it so quick from that viewpoint.

Maybe the NFLPA got this in their last bargaining deal.

On Cine - I remember when it was rare for a rookie to crack the lineup. Lots of rookies would take 2 or 3 years to work their way into a starting job. especially true with QB's.

today, it's completely different. If your #1 draft pick isn't an immediate starter, he's "a bust."

Cine was a heck of a college player - but he played this hybrid S/LB role in college. I suspect the pro game is a big difference from what he's used to, especially in pass coverage.

for the Vikes, I suppose it was tricky drafting players who fit the system when the system was being completely revamped. that was always one of my gripes with Spielman - trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. hopefully the new brain trust can avoid that.

Top Bottom