All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Honestly I would rather see them trade Correa for two potential all star pitchers as opposed to a large package with some maybes. Even as not great as Correa has been he’s still going to opt out at the end of the year and look for some sort of long term deal. It is just what Scott Boras does with everyone. If there are no takers he can come right back to the twins and I am sure get the sam contract he is on.
Correa's not going to get you two potential All-Star pitchers. He's essentially a 60-game rental. Which is why talk of trading him while in contention is ridiculous. You'll get a slightly better package than you got for Nelson Cruz last year.

If they are still in 1st place at the deadline, they can't trade him. It would be the biggest middle finger to the fans since contraction.

At this point I think there's a good chance Correa will be back next year. So far he's been solid but not good enough to be worthy of a big long-term contract if he opts out of the current contract.
Lets see how the second half goes. Without looking at stats, seems hes been really good since the first month

Even as not great as Correa has been he’s still going to opt out at the end of the year and look for some sort of long term deal.
I didn't initially comment on this part but I think there's a good chance this doesn't happen. Turner, Swanson and Bogaerts (he can opt out this year and most think he will) will probably all be free agents as well. So he'd be competing even more with other top SS this off season than last. Correa could potentially be the headline SS free agent by far in 2024.

the only way Correa brings a big haul at the trade deadline is IF he, Boras and the new team can reach a long-term agreement.

Otherwise, as noted, you are trading him for two months and potentially the playoffs.

I was listening to Reusse's weekly podcast on SkorNorth. He said the Twins' pitching staff is in such a mess right now that there are too many holes to fill at the trade deadline. they could trade away a bunch of their best prospects, and it still might not be enough to make a real difference.

and, if you think about it, he makes a good point. realistically, if the Twins want to make a legitimate run in the playoffs, they probably need two starters and two or three guys for the bullpen. what are they going to do - gut the farm system just so they can maybe make it to the second round?

The Twins are never going to be able to trade for enough pitching or sign enough free-agent pitching to make a real run. they have to be able to draft, sign and develop pitching. and so far, they haven't.

the only way Correa brings a big haul at the trade deadline is IF he, Boras and the new team can reach a long-term agreement.

Otherwise, as noted, you are trading him for two months and potentially the playoffs.

I was listening to Reusse's weekly podcast on SkorNorth. He said the Twins' pitching staff is in such a mess right now that there are too many holes to fill at the trade deadline. they could trade away a bunch of their best prospects, and it still might not be enough to make a real difference.

and, if you think about it, he makes a good point. realistically, if the Twins want to make a legitimate run in the playoffs, they probably need two starters and two or three guys for the bullpen. what are they going to do - gut the farm system just so they can maybe make it to the second round?

The Twins are never going to be able to trade for enough pitching or sign enough free-agent pitching to make a real run. they have to be able to draft, sign and develop pitching. and so far, they haven't.
If they are going to make a run in the play-offs, Gray and Ryan have to be better than they have been lately. At this point, I would settle for making the play-offs and at least winning one game.

They need 2 relievers. They don't have to gut the farm for them, they just need to be decent. A Frankie Montas or Castillo would be great, but if all they can get is Kyle Gibson or his equivalent, they might as well roll with the starters they have, especially if Ober is coming back at some point.

I didn't initially comment on this part but I think there's a good chance this doesn't happen. Turner, Swanson and Bogaerts (he can opt out this year and most think he will) will probably all be free agents as well. So he'd be competing even more with other top SS this off season than last. Correa could potentially be the headline SS free agent by far in 2024.
Scott Boras and Soto walked away from $440 million from Washington to go to free agency. They may not get anymore money, but they are gonna go to free agency and find out. Correa will be the same thing. Plus Correa hired Boras in the middle of the winter last year. That means the old agent got a portion of the twins contract and not Boras. I am 100% confident that Carlos Correa will become a free agent when the years over. Not saying the twins can’t or won’t resign him but he will be a free agent.

Also not saying they should trade him either but if someone wants him bad enough I would trade him cause the twins pitching is a mess and the farm system is terrible right now. They need prospects and pitching prospects in the worst way.

Where’s the young pitching?

If they are going to make a run in the play-offs, Gray and Ryan have to be better than they have been lately. At this point, I would settle for making the play-offs and at least winning one game.

They need 2 relievers. They don't have to gut the farm for them, they just need to be decent. A Frankie Montas or Castillo would be great, but if all they can get is Kyle Gibson or his equivalent, they might as well roll with the starters they have, especially if Ober is coming back at some point.
1 win would be an improvement over past playoffs.

Any move they make at this point should be for guys that have team control beyond this year. A 1/2 year rental doesn't make a lot of sense unless it's a real big name but there aren't a lot of those guys out there that would be available anyways.

I
Scott Boras and Soto walked away from $440 million from Washington to go to free agency. They may not get anymore money, but they are gonna go to free agency and find out. Correa will be the same thing. Plus Correa hired Boras in the middle of the winter last year. That means the old agent got a portion of the twins contract and not Boras. I am 100% confident that Carlos Correa will become a free agent when the years over. Not saying the twins can’t or won’t resign him but he will be a free agent.

Also not saying they should trade him either but if someone wants him bad enough I would trade him cause the twins pitching is a mess and the farm system is terrible right now. They need prospects and pitching prospects in the worst way.

Where’s the young pitching?
I'm just saying he was a free agent last year and didn't get the offers he wanted. I don't see him getting anything better than he was offered last year.

The young pitching is there. Several guys have been dealing with injuries. Balazovic is struggling coming off of an injury. Woods Richardson is hurt. Canterino is hurt.

The Twins have taken 9 pitchers in the draft so far and every one has been a college kid.

I

I'm just saying he was a free agent last year and didn't get the offers he wanted. I don't see him getting anything better than he was offered last year.

The young pitching is there. Several guys have been dealing with injuries. Balazovic is struggling coming off of an injury. Woods Richardson is hurt. Canterino is hurt.

The Twins have taken 9 pitchers in the draft so far and every one has been a college kid.
The young pitching is in AA and AAA and not ready for the majors. Apologies for the negativity but I’ll believe it when I see it and they actually turn a prospect into a front end starter. Right now all they have done is develop starters into bullpen arms when they don’t work as starters. Falvey was hired for one reason the amount of pitches he turned out for Cleveland and that just has not happened here for whatever reason. Maybe the prospects were not as good, or the organization lacked the need strategy, but it just has not happened.

Should the Twins trade Carlos Correa or risk losing him for nothing?​

According to a report from the Star Tribune's Phil Miller, the Minnesota Twins have not initiated talks on a contract extension for Carlos Correa.

Correa's agent, Scott Boras, told Miller at this week's MLB All-Star festivities that the Twins have been impressed by his strong leadership, clubhouse presence, and "his ability to advance the goals of the franchise," but that teams normally wait until the end of the season to begin discussions on a new deal.

The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal reported in April that Correa is interested in signing a long-term deal with the Twins, but the team has historically been reluctant to shell out massive contracts.

With Miller reporting that Correa is expected to opt out of his three-year, $105.1 million contract after this season, it leaves the Twins three choices: sign Correa to a massive extension, trade him at the deadline or risk losing him for nothing.

In 71 games this season, Correa is hitting .279 with 11 homers and 33 RBIs. Those numbers could be even better if he didn't miss time after being hit by a pitch on his hand in early May and landing on the COVID-19 list in June.

With Correa also providing Gold Glove defense at shortstop and leadership in the clubhouse, it seems like an easy decision to lock him in long-term. The reality is, the Twins just might not be interested in that kind of contract. And Correa has to know that big-market teams could be salivating at the chance to break the bank for the 27-year-old star.

Win Twins!!

Pat: Poor pitching makes Twins more than a trade from contention​

The motive here today, in the midst of the Twins' historically long five-day All-Star break, is to suggest it would make no significant difference whether baseball CEO Derek Falvey scrounges the poorly stocked cupboard for a couple of prospects and deals for a notable pitcher at the deadline or decides to ride out the season.

Such a body might increase the chances of winning the Central from 35% to 40% , and then what?

The Twins would get Seattle, Tampa Bay or Boston in a three-game wild-card series, and be underdogs, even at Target Field.

And if somehow they were to end the 18-game postseason losing streak with a win, and then another, it would be the Yankees or the Astros.

You know how many home runs the Yankees' bullpen has allowed, even while pitching half the time in that bandbox? Seventeen.

You know how many home runs the Astros' bullpen has allowed, even while pitching half the time with that phony porch in left field? Nineteen.

Beyond competence, a secondary reason for this bullpen success is New York and Houston relievers generally don't begin to stir until the seventh, unless they need a restroom break.

Meantime, Twins' relievers receive a message to get ready in the fourth inning hours before the first pitch.

Make a trade? Ride it out? Shrug.

You can't win to a significant degree with the Twins' pitching, and you can't win a bidding contest for a true difference-maker with a dearth of top 100 prospects.

Win Twins!!

Has there ever been a commissioner of one of the top leagues that’s so out of touch with reality? I don’t think he even likes the sport.

For those that don’t know, many have to find jobs in the off-season to help pay for expenses during the season because they aren’t paid enough.

Any move they make at this point should be for guys that have team control beyond this year. A 1/2 year rental doesn't make a lot of sense unless it's a real big name but there aren't a lot of those guys out there that would be available anyways.
I'm fine trading a #20ish prospect for a rental reliever. Limiting to only guys with control beyond 2022 is too limiting when you need 2-3 guys.

Pat: Poor pitching makes Twins more than a trade from contention​

The motive here today, in the midst of the Twins' historically long five-day All-Star break, is to suggest it would make no significant difference whether baseball CEO Derek Falvey scrounges the poorly stocked cupboard for a couple of prospects and deals for a notable pitcher at the deadline or decides to ride out the season.

Such a body might increase the chances of winning the Central from 35% to 40% , and then what?

The Twins would get Seattle, Tampa Bay or Boston in a three-game wild-card series, and be underdogs, even at Target Field.

And if somehow they were to end the 18-game postseason losing streak with a win, and then another, it would be the Yankees or the Astros.

You know how many home runs the Yankees' bullpen has allowed, even while pitching half the time in that bandbox? Seventeen.

You know how many home runs the Astros' bullpen has allowed, even while pitching half the time with that phony porch in left field? Nineteen.

Beyond competence, a secondary reason for this bullpen success is New York and Houston relievers generally don't begin to stir until the seventh, unless they need a restroom break.

Meantime, Twins' relievers receive a message to get ready in the fourth inning hours before the first pitch.

Make a trade? Ride it out? Shrug.

You can't win to a significant degree with the Twins' pitching, and you can't win a bidding contest for a true difference-maker with a dearth of top 100 prospects.

Win Twins!!
I normally respect Pat's baseball takes but he keeps saying the cupboard is bare, the Twins have a bottom 5 farm system etc. That just isn't true. Every list I've seen has them squarely in the middle around 15 +/- a couple. It's not as good as it once was but it's not bottom 5.

I'm fine trading a #20ish prospect for a rental reliever. Limiting to only guys with control beyond 2022 is too limiting when you need 2-3 guys.
I personally would rather they just do nothing if that's the only move they make. Because they won't get much for that and it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

But I know that wouldn't go over very well either.

I personally would rather they just do nothing if that's the only move they make. Because they won't get much for that and it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

But I know that wouldn't go over very well either.
Doing nothing is unacceptable. Waving the white flag and trading Correa while in 1st place is just absurd. Do what you have to do to get to the play-offs, see what happens.

No, I don't think we can beat Houston or the Yankees and we shouldn't gut the farm system trying. But we can win a game and maybe even a series and kill the curse. Then move on from there next year.

Doing nothing is unacceptable. Waving the white flag and trading Correa while in 1st place is just absurd. Do what you have to do to get to the play-offs, see what happens.

No, I don't think we can beat Houston or the Yankees and we shouldn't gut the farm system trying. But we can win a game and maybe even a series and kill the curse. Then move on from there next year.
I guess I'm saying I don't think only getting a solid 1/2 year reliever is going to even get them to the playoffs. I'm all about making some bigger moves, I would just prefer they be for guys that are more than 1/2 year rentals.

I guess I'm saying I don't think only getting a solid 1/2 year reliever is going to even get them to the playoffs. I'm all about making some bigger moves, I would just prefer they be for guys that are more than 1/2 year rentals.
I'm on board with that depending on the deal. If they're trading say Jose Miranda and Baily Ober for Montas though, I'd pass.

I would fully accept doing nothing (or next to nothing), and tend to think it would be the right thing to do. Standing pat they could still be relevant until mid-Sept, unless the White Sox catch fire, or still win the Division.

In Reusse's column he mentioned the Twins bullpen has given up 55 HRs. The Yankees and Astros (while playing in a much less pitcher friendly parks) have given up only 17. A bullpen arm or two might help, but it would only be marginal.

They tried to bolster their starting staff but the Grey/Paddock moves didn't work out. Giving up substantial prospect capital to possibly win a Wild Card Series as an underdog against a team likely from the AL East...meh.

I would fully accept doing nothing (or next to nothing), and tend to think it would be the right thing to do. Standing pat they could still be relevant until mid-Sept, unless the White Sox catch fire, or still win the Division.

In Reusse's column he mentioned the Twins bullpen has given up 55 HRs. The Yankees and Astros (while playing in a much less pitcher friendly parks) have given up only 17. A bullpen arm or two might help, but it would only be marginal.

They tried to bolster their starting staff but the Grey/Paddock moves didn't work out. Giving up substantial prospect capital to possibly win a Wild Card Series as an underdog against a team likely from the AL East...meh.
You have to fix the bullpen to give yourself a fighting chance. I think giving up a couple of prospects in the 10-20 range to do that is an acceptable middle ground.

They can then sink or swim with the current rotation. If Gray/Ryan/Ober can get healthy/turn it around they have a shot. If they can't, one more starter won't matter.

You have to fix the bullpen to give yourself a fighting chance. I think giving up a couple of prospects in the 10-20 range to do that is an acceptable middle ground.

They can then sink or swim with the current rotation. If Gray/Ryan/Ober can get healthy/turn it around they have a shot. If they can't, one more starter won't matter.
If they can manage that type of trade to enhance the bullpen, then sure. Go for it.

Sort of unique, they have to decide really quick. Only 10 games left before the Trade Deadline. The Guards & Sox play each other in a 4 gamer starting Friday and may beat each other up.

Odd the Twins get a 5 day All Star Break. The team they start against (Detroit) will have already played a DH in Oakland, tomorrow. Plenty of tickets available. I presume it is a schedule oddity with making up games due to the Lock Out.

If you're going to make a trade, you have to give up value to get value in return.

So, if the Twins want to get - let's say - two quality bullpen arms, then you are looking at giving up probably 4 of your better prospects. Want a quality starter - the cost will be higher - maybe 3 good prospects or established players.

So again, the question is this: is it worth giving up 7 or 8 of your top 20 prospects IF the result means the Twins win the division, maybe win 1 or 2 playoff games, and then get knocked out of the playoffs?

In the end, the Twins have to develop pitching. and they haven't done it. most of their top pitching prospects have either been hurt or not pitched well. they have some guys down at A ball, but that's a long way from the Majors. a few years ago, Balazovic was a "can't miss" prospect. this year at St. Paul (AAA) he is 0-4 with a 9.90 ERA. whatever they're doing in the minors, it's not working.

Why trade for a starter when you let them go 5 innings at most? That reduces their value to the Twins. Someone like Alcantara would be squandered here.

If you're going to make a trade, you have to give up value to get value in return.

So, if the Twins want to get - let's say - two quality bullpen arms, then you are looking at giving up probably 4 of your better prospects. Want a quality starter - the cost will be higher - maybe 3 good prospects or established players.

So again, the question is this: is it worth giving up 7 or 8 of your top 20 prospects IF the result means the Twins win the division, maybe win 1 or 2 playoff games, and then get knocked out of the playoffs?

In the end, the Twins have to develop pitching. and they haven't done it. most of their top pitching prospects have either been hurt or not pitched well. they have some guys down at A ball, but that's a long way from the Majors. a few years ago, Balazovic was a "can't miss" prospect. this year at St. Paul (AAA) he is 0-4 with a 9.90 ERA. whatever they're doing in the minors, it's not working.
That is why I think they went very college heavy in the draft. All pitchers have been college kids.

If they can manage that type of trade to enhance the bullpen, then sure. Go for it.

Sort of unique, they have to decide really quick. Only 10 games left before the Trade Deadline. The Guards & Sox play each other in a 4 gamer starting Friday and may beat each other up.

Odd the Twins get a 5 day All Star Break. The team they start against (Detroit) will have already played a DH in Oakland, tomorrow. Plenty of tickets available. I presume it is a schedule oddity with making up games due to the Lock Out.
Not just the 5 day break. 2 games. Monday off. Two more games. Thursday off. Very odd. I believe they only have 8 or 9 games before the trade deadline.

Top Bottom