All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Not just the 5 day break. 2 games. Monday off. Two more games. Thursday off. Very odd. I believe they only have 8 or 9 games before the trade deadline.

You're right, 10 days until Trade Deadline which is Aug 2 at 5 PM Central Time. 8 games scheduled until that time, barring any postponements.

July 23 & 24 / @ Detroit
July 26 & 27 / @ Milwaukee
July 29, 30 & 31 / @ San Diego
Aug 1 / Detroit

Starting Aug 12 they end with 51 games in 55 days. Rosters expand to 28 players in September (unlike 40 in previous years).

Midseason grades per ESPN:

Minnesota Twins: B

Record: 50-44

After back-to-back AL Central titles in 2019 and 2021, the Twins fell to last in the division last season, but a series of moves made after the lockout -- signing Carlos Correa; trading for Sonny Gray, Gio Urshela and Gary Sanchez -- signaled the Twins were in playoff mode. Luis Arraez has put together a Tony Gwynn-caliber first half, and Byron Buxton has delivered two walk-off home runs, one of those a memorable 469-foot blast off Liam Hendriks. Rookie starter Joe Ryan looks like a steal (acquired last year from the Rays for Nelson Cruz), while rookie reliever Jhoan Duran has shown some ridiculous talent. The front office may have made one trade too many, however, as the Taylor Rogers-Chris Paddack-Emilio Pagan deal has backfired -- Paddack went down with Tommy John surgery, and Pagan has blown five saves.

Win Twins!!

The Twins have been confirmed as one of the teams talking to Cinci about Castillo.

looks like Sano has two more days on his rehab and then the Twins have to make a decision.

last I saw, Sano was hitting over .300 at AAA with 4 HR (and 8K) in 36 AB.

On Castillo, I don't know if this is based on reporting or was just "reckless speculation" but I saw one person tweeting out a proposal of Winder, Steer and Woods-Richardson for Castillo. I could live with that. ---- But, I also saw that the Yankees are also going after Castillo, so .....can the Twins out-bid the Yankees? Do they want to try?

looks like Sano has two more days on his rehab and then the Twins have to make a decision.

last I saw, Sano was hitting over .300 at AAA with 4 HR (and 8K) in 36 AB.

On Castillo, I don't know if this is based on reporting or was just "reckless speculation" but I saw one person tweeting out a proposal of Winder, Steer and Woods-Richardson for Castillo. I could live with that. ---- But, I also saw that the Yankees are also going after Castillo, so .....can the Twins out-bid the Yankees? Do they want to try?
I would be fine with that too. But I don't think that will be enough to outbid other teams. I think it would take those 3 plus one more. Or a higher rated prospect to replace one of them.

I can’t even imagine the package it would take to get him. Kiriloff or Miranda and I’m sure 2 or 3 other top 15 prospects.
I think that's a bit much. He's not Clayton Kershaw in his prime. And he has less than 1.5 years left on his contract. The proposed Twins offer is reasonable, but I'd swap Ober for Winder if possible.

Owed $12.5 this year and $16 next year with no buyouts so not exactly cheap.
True but that means it won't take much to get him. I like his upside better than Bundy or Archer. Less than $6 million for the rest of year is not a big issue and we shed those two from the payroll for 2023.

This has absolutely zero to do with the Twins, but since they are all off their feet for the 5 straight day this is worth checking out.

Pure gold, especially the in game promo reads. Wally McCarthy is the Jim Brockmire of Northwoods Baseball Sleep Radio.

Last edited:

Who am I cheering for in the White Sox and Cleveland series?

I feel like I want Cleveland to sweep as it seems Chicago might be putting it together.

Who am I cheering for in the White Sox and Cleveland series?

I feel like I want Cleveland to sweep as it seems Chicago might be putting it together.
I wish I knew what Cleveland's process going into the deadline is. Cleveland's farm system is loaded. They can make a big splash at the deadline. The White Sox make total sense as a potential landing spot for Juan Soto, but they don't have the prospects/young talent to get a deal done.

Is this one of the worst plays in MLB history? It's one thing to lose the ball but then just stand there? I would have pulled him out of the game in the middle of the inning.

Buxton not in the lineup after 4 innings played in 6 days. Either he's hurt or fire everyone.

Buxton not in the lineup after 4 innings played in 6 days. Either he's hurt or fire everyone.
The amount of hatred I have for this regime is unhealthy. I'm about to the point where I'd root for the team to lose if I knew it'd get rid of this clown show.

FWIW - number of games played this year: (Twins have played 94 games total)

Arraez 84
Kepler 83
Urshela 82
Polanco 75
Buxton 73
Gordon 73
Sanchez 71
Correa 70

Buxton is on place to play 126 games.

Historical reference. Buxton is in his 8th season.

most games played:
140 - 2017
92 - 2016
87 - 2019
73 - 2022

this is already his 4th highest season in # of games played, and he is on pace toward his 2nd-highest number of games played.

so maybe they actually have a plan that is working.

unless you know some way to cure patellar tendinitis that the Twins don't know about....

FWIW - number of games played this year: (Twins have played 94 games total)

Arraez 84
Kepler 83
Urshela 82
Polanco 75
Buxton 73
Gordon 73
Sanchez 71
Correa 70

Buxton is on place to play 126 games.

Historical reference. Buxton is in his 8th season.

most games played:
140 - 2017
92 - 2016
87 - 2019
73 - 2022

this is already his 4th highest season in # of games played, and he is on pace toward his 2nd-highest number of games played.

so maybe they actually have a plan that is working.

unless you know some way to cure patellar tendinitis that the Twins don't know about....
If he can't play after 3 days off, he shouldn't have played in the All Star game.

Well, Cleveland has gone into Chicago and won the first two.

From the Twins beat writer:

Buxton got a platelet-rich plasma injection in his right knee the day after the all-star game. He will be down for the Detroit series and hopefully available for the Milwaukee series. It's expected to help healing.

my thoughts: if you're going to fire the GM and Manager because a player has a chronic injury, then good luck finding someone to take either job.

Buxton was a gamble with his health history.

THAT is why they were able to sign him to a 7-year, $100-million contract. with his talent, if he would have been healthy for most of his career, then you would have been looking at $200 million or even $300 million in today's market.

the other option was to trade him or let him leave as a free agent. how would the MN fans have handled that?

the Twins are trying to make the best of a bad situation. this is not like f'ing up the bullpen. that is in a different category.

Buxton got a platelet-rich plasma injection in his right knee the day after the all-star game. He will be down for the Detroit series and hopefully available for the Milwaukee series. It's expected to help healing.

my thoughts: if you're going to fire the GM and Manager because a player has a chronic injury, then good luck finding someone to take either job.

THAT is why they were able to sign him to a 7-year, $100-million contract. with his talent, if he would have been healthy for most of his career, then you would have been looking at $200 million or even $300 million in today's market.

the other option was to trade him or let him leave as a free agent. how would the MN fans have handled that?

the Twins are trying to make the best of a bad situation. this is not like f'ing up the bullpen. that is in a different category.
Trout didn't play in the All-Star game.

If Buxton needed an injection, then he takes it at start of the all-star break and is ready to go today.

He helped the AL win the All-Star game though, and that is so much bigger than helping win the division.

Why didn't he get the injection on Monday?

Some people just can’t understand this. Well said

Your excerpt from the Twins beat writer omits that had he not played in the ASG, he'd have gotten the injection on Monday.

If you're going to go through the process of load management to try and keep him on the field, then let him play in a meaningless exhibition game, which delays him getting medical treatment, causing a player in a playoff race to miss actual meaningful games, that's a bad look, in my opinion.

Last edited:

I remember the Tigers announcers early in the year saying they’re glad they signed Baez over Correa.

Fans seem to think these players are robots. For fans, yeah it’s cool to see Buxton in the All-Star game but wouldn’t have been a big deal if he sat it out. But for a player, especially a guy like Buxton who’s had so many injuries, to get the opportunity to start an All-Star game in LA could be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I have a feeling if the Twins would have pressured him to sit out, it wouldn’t have gone over very well in the clubhouse. There’s no guarantee he would be playing today either, so in the end it might be one game difference.

Top Bottom