All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Twins Twitter is going to be hilarious when he’s called up tomorrow.

why can’t Duffy throw more than one inning? He threw 11 bleeping pitches. Has Rocco not learned that no lead is safe with this terrible bullpen? All this nonsense with two outs thanks to walks.

Twins Twitter is going to be hilarious when he’s called up tomorrow.

They are going to bring him back and send down Celistino if for no other reason than Celistino has options left and they won’t lose a guy for nothing.

Of course if Buxton is having knee issues an actual center fielder even who can’t hit is more valuable than a fat slugger.

why can’t Duffy throw more than one inning? He threw 11 bleeping pitches. Has Rocco not learned that no lead is safe with this terrible bullpen? All this nonsense with two outs thanks to walks.
Really odd take. Seemed pretty logical to get others in there with the 7 run lead, everybody fresh and have Duffy be available Sunday with an off day Monday. If you can't trust the rest of the bullpen to get 6 outs in that situation then there's no use even pretending they're in a pennant race.

Trout didn't play in the All-Star game.

If Buxton needed an injection, then he takes it at start of the all-star break and is ready to go today.

He helped the AL win the All-Star game though, and that is so much bigger than helping win the division.

Why didn't he get the injection on Monday?
Trout has already played in several All Star games, this was Buxton's first. Hopefully there will be many more, but ya never know.

If he wanted to play, I think you have to let him. Honestly I don't even know if the Twins management could prevent it if they wanted to.

Really odd take. Seemed pretty logical to get others in there with the 7 run lead, everybody fresh and have Duffy be available Sunday with an off day Monday. If you can't trust the rest of the bullpen to get 6 outs in that situation then there's no use even pretending they're in a pennant race.
Have you met this bullpen it stinks. You’re saying if Duffy throws 25 pitches tonight he can’t pitch tomorrow? Maybe if he throws 2 then you don’t need Duran tonight?

Moran could be a decent pitcher if he could throw a bleepin' strike. But every outing, he hits a stretch where he walks 2 or 3 guys in a row.

But with Thielbar on the IL, pretty much have to keep Moran because he's left-handed and has a pulse.

Have you met this bullpen it stinks. You’re saying if Duffy throws 25 pitches tonight he can’t pitch tomorrow? Maybe if he throws 2 then you don’t need Duran tonight?
Yes, quite aware of the bullpen situation. Are you aware Duffy hasn't given up a run in more than a month? Knock on wood, lordy I hope I didn't jinx it.

I'd bet Duran was coming in no matter what, to get an inning of work after the break and a day off on Monday. He came in with a 4 run lead anyway (non-save situation). I'm sure he's available Sunday.

As is Duffy, which as tenuous as their relief corp is, I think is a good thing at the moment. If he had thrown another inning, even relatively quick, then "no" he's probably not available. 25 pitches or so (plus the extra warm ups) probably would have relegated him to "only in case of an emergency" situation.

Hopefully Sonny Gray can snap out and give them back to back Quality Starts.

Last edited:

Well, let's face facts. Vikings Training camp opens this week. Once that starts, they become the #1 sports story in town and the Twins are left to the die-hards.

Kepler just left the game with a possible broken toe/foot.
Luckily Sano has experience playing OF.

Kepler just left the game with a possible broken toe/foot.
Luckily Sano has experience playing OF.
Sano won't be playing OF. But Kiriloff can which might free up DH/1B AB's for Sano. Hopefully it's a minor injury though.

Your excerpt from the Twins beat writer omits that had he not played in the ASG, he'd have gotten the injection on Monday.

If you're going to go through the process of load management to try and keep him on the field, then let him play in a meaningless exhibition game, which delays him getting medical treatment, causing a player in a playoff race to miss actual meaningful games, that's a bad look, in my opinion.
Whether to let him play in the All-Star game is debatable especially since it was his first after so many injuries etc. I would have a hard time telling him he should sit it out. And I don't have a problem with them doing the injection given the weird schedule and all the off days.

My issue with this is that the front office has no common sense on how to communicate these things. They didn't address the "load management" plan they were using for Buxton until there was outrage about him not playing on a Saturday night with one of the first big crowds of the season and not pinch hitting in the same game in an obvious spot. And with this, they waited until the line-up was posted on Saturday to address it? Why? They knew days/weeks ago what the plan was. This isn't an NFL QB. You're not gaining some competitive advantage over Detroit by keeping it a secret. If they had announced last Sunday that Buxton was going to play in the ASG then have an injection on his knee and might miss 2 games, the blow-back would have been minimal. But they can't do even basic PR correctly. Falvey is inept at this part of the job and Dave St. Peter should be embarrassed that this is still the case 6 years in. Bi-Lateral Leg Weakness taught them nothing apparently.

Sano won't be playing OF. But Kiriloff can which might free up DH/1B AB's for Sano. Hopefully it's a minor injury though.
I never wish someone to be hurt of course but I don't think Kepler going on the IL would be a big deal. He's been awful in June & July.

I'm assuming Arraez playing LF is no longer an option. It would be nice if it was, even just a game or two a week. Assuming Sano is back tomorrow, 1B and DH all of a sudden got very crowded.

I never wish someone to be hurt of course but I don't think Kepler going on the IL would be a big deal. He's been awful in June & July.

I'm assuming Arraez playing LF is no longer an option. It would be nice if it was, even just a game or two a week. Assuming Sano is back tomorrow, 1B and DH all of a sudden got very crowded.
I don't see Arreaz playing LF. It would help the log-jam. Unfortunately we'll probably see too much Garlick/Gordon instead.

It was a joke about the failed Sano RF experiment of 2016.
Yes, I know. But he's "in the best shape of his life" so someone will probably think it's a good idea. If Kepler or Buxton don't require IL stints, they should DFA him.

If Kepler does have to go to the IL - just a thought:

Kirilloff to RF; Sano joins 1B/DH platoon with Arraez and Miranda.
Arraez and Miranda definitely need to play almost every day. Buxton will still DH once or twice a week. Could see it something like this over 6 games in a week. This doesn't include Arraez playing an occasional 2B as well.

DH - Buxton 2, Arraez 2, Sano 2
3B - Miranda - 3, Urshela 3
1B - Arraez 3, Miranda 2, Sano 1

Arraez and Miranda definitely need to play almost every day. Buxton will still DH once or twice a week. Could see it something like this over 6 games in a week. This doesn't include Arraez playing an occasional 2B as well.

DH - Buxton 2, Arraez 2, Sano 2
3B - Miranda - 3, Urshela 3
1B - Arraez 3, Miranda 2, Sano 1
Urshela definitely needs to play less if there is a log jam. I don't think the defensive gap from him to Miranda is as big as some say. He makes a lot of great plays but misses some fairly easy ones with his limited range.

Sano will be taking at bats from people he should not be. They owe him $14 million next year and there is no why it will be picked up, so he will be bought out. Instead of just cutting the cord with two months to go in 2022 they are going to potentially worsen the team at hurt development in 2022.

Of course this was always going to be the decision so no surprise here.

Good sweep of Detroit onto the brewers who can’t score but can pitch.

Top Bottom