All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

For a game that prides itself on its tradition and history it really is sad that they allow position players to pitch. If you don’t wanna out a pitcher out there the game should be called and you should have to give every fan in attendance their money back. There is nothing ”cool” watching Nick Gordon give you laser beams all over the ball park just cause you wanna save your bullpen
I was at the game, and the more interesting thing than Nick Gordon pitching was that at no point during that debacle was there a Twins reliever warming up. Gordon was giving up batting practice shots all over the field, and Rocco was going to hang him out to dry as long as it took so he could manage to save Tyler Duffey from throwing 15 pitches last night.

Well, I gave up after the Grand Slam. Watched "The 39 Steps" by Hitchcock. a classic film.

But, with this team, it's so hard to draw any long-term conclusions.

They can stink up the joint one day, and come back and look good the next day.

the Gray thing is the real concern - he has not pitched effectively since coming back from the IL. my radar is up that it could be something physical. either that, or the new pitching coach is not providing the same help that Wes Johnson provided.

Well, I gave up after the Grand Slam. Watched "The 39 Steps" by Hitchcock. a classic film.

But, with this team, it's so hard to draw any long-term conclusions.

They can stink up the joint one day, and come back and look good the next day.

the Gray thing is the real concern - he has not pitched effectively since coming back from the IL. my radar is up that it could be something physical. either that, or the new pitching coach is not providing the same help that Wes Johnson provided.

Two quick K’s and then just to not get people too excited let’s give up an absolute rocket of a homer run before getting the third out. Where would this team be without Pagan to come out of the bullpen.

But this part isn’t very impressive.

Those are both kind of crazy stats. The seven straight games with loaded bases in the 1st against a single team has to be some sort of record. But then only allowing four of those 21 base runners to score is pretty impressive as well.

For the 2nd consecutive night the Twins SP doesn't even complete 4 innings of work as Smeltzer departs after 3 IP. Also similar to last night, the bullpen fails to keep it close after Griffin Jax serves up a 3 run homer in the 7th and the White Sox lead 6-2 in the 8th.

Assuming they lose this game tonight, the Twins have gone 11-14 in their past 25 games with 15 of those 25 games against teams with a record below .500 at the time (7-8 record in those games). Even with the division lead, they should strongly consider being sellers at the deadline. Hopefully, an asset(s) picked up at the deadline could be used to trade for an upper echelon SP and/or RP.

Last edited:

We're down four runs. Baldelli is a moron for burning Moran right now.

Just kinda feels like the beginning of the downfall. The White Sox will take the lead shortly after the all-star break and never look back. The pitching is awful and the hitting isn’t much better right now.

Smeltzer sounded off after Friday's game. said he was "Blindsided" when Rocco took him out after the 3rd inning. Before Saturday's game, Rocco said they did not want Smeltzer going through the White Sox lineup a 3rd time, but......they didn't tell him that before the game.........

to quote Han Solo:

"I've got a bad feeling about this....."

Smeltzer sounded off after Friday's game. said he was "Blindsided" when Rocco took him out after the 3rd inning. Before Saturday's game, Rocco said they did not want Smeltzer going through the White Sox lineup a 3rd time, but......they didn't tell him that before the game.........

to quote Han Solo:

"I've got a bad feeling about this....."
Someone should remind him that he allowed 7 baserunners over 3 innings. It’s not like he was throwing a perfect game. Plus the white Sox had an extremely right handed lineup that game, so the leash was going to be even shorter. I do think he should have been allowed to keep going since he had only thrown 67 pitches, but he should also know the twins are super conservative with pitchers and match ups.

Twins win on Saturday. Bullpen made it interesting.....when don't they? But Duran with a 2-inning save.

Ironically, Bundy pitched very effectively through 5 innings. he came out for the 6th and gave up 2 runs on 3 consecutive hits before Megill got out of the jam. HR for Arraez, Correa and Polanco.

FWIW - wound up watching the last couple of innings of the St. Paul Saints game Saturday night.

Miguel Sano hit 2 HR for St. Paul, but struck out his next time up. Fun game - Saints had a 2-1 lead; Mud Hens went up 3-2 in the top of the 9th. Saints tied it at 3-3 in the bottom of the 9th, then won it in the bottom of the 10th. the winning run scored off Toledo reliever - and former Twin - Derek Law.

I completely get the approach of pulling starters early. The numbers below show why it makes sense. The two issues I’ve had is 1) If the starter is throwing well and/or you have a comfortable lead, I don’t see the problem with letting him start another inning all while have a guy warming up in the bullpen. Maybe it’s as simple as “you allow a base runner, you’re getting pulled”. 2) If you’re going to use this strategy of pulling starters after 2 times through the lineup, then you have to have a strong and deep bullpen. Hell, Duran had never throw a pitch before this year so that was up in the air how good he’d be. Luckily he’s been great.

Twins goes from 0-0 to now down 7-0 to the White Sox. Horrible. Changes need to happen right now and at season end.

Why did we bring in Joe Smith to pitch. horrible Rocco horrible.

Limping into the All Star Break, ugh! Cool that Buxton will be AL CF starter though. Only one hit today so far - double ugh!

Vikings rookies report one week from today. They at least got some of us to football.

I just hate that attitude. Yes before they signed Correa I would agree that a 2 game lead would have been acceptable. But things change when you sign an all world shortstop and get off to the start you did you have to change your expectations. I am disappointed in the lead they have in the division cause it seems like so many of the loses are self induced. Of course I thought they would be a 75-89 win team cause they couldn’t pitch.

Top Bottom