All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Oh wow. What a surprise, the bullpen managed to give away the lead. And to make matters even better, the whimpering manager decided it would be advantageous to go to the bullpen early, despite the fact that they have a starter scheduled to go tomorrow night who has struggled mightily to go more than 4 innings in almost every start.
Unless they can trot out multiple relievers with an ERA much less than 2.00, then giving up a 1 run lead when the the bullpen is being asked to finish the last 4 innings would be the expected result (if the Twins themselves don't score any additional runs).

Win Twins!!

What was the runner on 1st thinking on that play? He just gave up like he pulled a hamstring. Thought there was already 1 out?!?

Kepler has sucked for years. I've never understood the fascination.

Hell, he was batting leadoff for months straight hitting .220
He's an elite defensive RF who is one of the players most impacted by the shift. His career babip is 50 points lower than the mlb average since most of his ground balls are pulled to the second baseman in short rightfield. He'll be one of the players who most benefits from the shift ban next year.

This year he is striking out the least amount in his career and walking the most. That is a good indication of long term success. It just seems lately he is having trouble barreling balls which is why his power and xbh are down somewhat.

He's an elite defensive RF who is one of the players most impacted by the shift. His career babip is 50 points lower than the mlb average since most of his ground balls are pulled to the second baseman in short rightfield. He'll be one of the players who most benefits from the shift ban next year.

This year he is striking out the least amount in his career and walking the most. That is a good indication of long term success. It just seems lately he is having trouble barreling balls which is why his power and xbh are down somewhat.
Not facing Trevor Bauer for 20 AB's/year has also sapped his power #'s.

So Chris Archer is scratched tonight and Josh Winder will start IF the game is played. Looks like about a 70% chance of rain most of the night in Chi-Town. Then a 50% chance on Wednesday.

apparently something was up with Archer because Winder was supposed to pitch in Sioux Falls, but the Twins named him to the taxi squad for the road trip, and then announced that Winder would get the start in place of Archer today (Tuesday). haven't seen any update as of 3pm.

So Chris Archer is scratched tonight and Josh Winder will start IF the game is played. Looks like about a 70% chance of rain most of the night in Chi-Town. Then a 50% chance on Wednesday.

apparently something was up with Archer because Winder was supposed to pitch in Sioux Falls, but the Twins named him to the taxi squad for the road trip, and then announced that Winder would get the start in place of Archer today (Tuesday). haven't seen any update as of 3pm.
Felt like something was up with regards to Archer given how many Walks/HBPs he had in his last start vs the Guards.

I have no data or facts to back this next statement up but here it goes. Twins do better against a top guy throwing 99mph fastballs vs a guy that throws 90mph slop. Again nothing to back this up but it just appears that way over the past 3-4 years.

So far no rain, but Twins going deep. HR's by Kepler, Miranda, Polanco and Kirilloff. Up 6-1 in top of 5th & Sox go to the pen. Meanwhile, Guardians are getting thumped.

Twins sit out a rain delay and win 8-2. Kirilloff with 2 HR's.

Twins lead Cleveland by 4.5 games in the division and Chicago by 6.5.

BTW - Twins now have the 3rd highest winning percentage in the American League.

Sano has begun his 20 day rehab stint I believe. Thought I heard somewhere that after completion of this, he must be brought up to the majors or else will be exposed to waivers. Anybody know if this is true?

Sano has begun his 20 day rehab stint I believe. Thought I heard somewhere that after completion of this, he must be brought up to the majors or else will be exposed to waivers. Anybody know if this is true?
Unless the rule just changed in the new CBA, yes that is factual.

With a corresponding DFA of a player on the 40-man roster.

60-day IL players do not take up a spot on the 40-man roster. So there will be a player exposed to waivers in 20 days.

With a corresponding DFA of a player on the 40-man roster.

60-day IL players do not take up a spot on the 40-man roster. So there will be a player exposed to waivers in 20 days.
Yes, I should have prefaced that because of the 60 day IL stint he is currently on. The player exposed could either be Sano himself, someone else or another 60 day IL casualty. I think they could also delay the need for a DFA by moving Larnach to the 60 day IL.

Last edited:

Yes, I should have prefaced that because of the 60 day IL stint he is currently on. The player exposed could either be Sano himself, someone else or another 60 day IL casualty. I think they could also delay the need for a DFA by moving Larnach to the 60 day IL.
Depending on how the surgery goes, that might be the option. Which would an extra 2 weeks to the original estimate of 6-7 weeks out.

Expose him to waivers. No one will claim him. He should sit in AAA unless/until there is an injury. There's no way he should take AB's from Kiriloff/Miranda/Urshella or Arreaz. And he's pretty useless as a bench player.

In regards to Sano. It appeases the twins have 47 guys on the 40 man roster with 8 of them being on the 60 day DL. That includes Sano, so not sure they need to make a corresponding move it appears they have room for 1 guy. I hope that guy is not Sano.

Wacky deal in the 1st inning. A Sox DP is over-turned and Twins get a run because Tim Anderson tagged Kepler with an empty glove - had the ball in his other hand. Don't think I've ever seen that.

Ryan didn't have it today. Neither did Lance Lynn, but the Sox tie it at 5 apiece in the bottom of the 5th, thanks to our good friend Emilio.

And why is Correa getting another day off? He had Covid and the finger deal, but he's played less games than Buxton this season.

Damn - Emilio Pagan is throwing down. article in the Strib where he says...........some stuff.........

"I'm extremely confident, and I know I'm one of the best guys in that role," Pagan said, adding he respects whatever Baldelli decides. "… I'll try and help the team in whatever role moving forward."

"If you take the Guardians out of my season, I think I've got a legitimate shot at going to the All-Star Game," Pagan said. "… I think I've got an over 10 K per nine [innings], and if you take out the first month [10 walks in 8⅔ innings], my walks per nine are really, really low. It's hard to put your finger on it. I wish there was a better explanation for what's going on."

"I truly believe that with the way I'm throwing it, when you look up at the end of the year," Pagan said, "I'm going to be one of the best relievers in baseball numbers-wise."

in other words, if you don't count any of my bad outings, I'm really good.

Comes into the fifth inning of today's game...up 5-3. Gives up a single and a homerun without retiring a batter first.

Pagan is trash right now. No excuse for putting him in any game.

Gotta keep him fresh for the team he’s on next year. I love the day off before the off day. Gardy loved it too cause you could get guys off their feet for two whole days.

Comes into the fifth inning of today's game...up 5-3. Gives up a single and a homerun without retiring a batter first.

Pagan is trash right now. No excuse for putting him in any game.
But if you take away this performance and all previous runs he has given up, he would have a 0.00 ERA right now.

Sarcasm aside, he should not be pitching in a game unless the Twins lead or trail by at least 5 runs.

A real donnybrook going on in the southside. Also Kirilloff left the game following a collision as he was running to first.

And we're tied at 8. Geezo beezo already. Maybe should have let Duran throw 2 innings, but I'm sure the spreadsheet is against that.

Is there some special time to bring in Duran. The guy last pitched on Monday and threw 20 pitches. Can he not go 2 inning today or even an inning and 1/3 to get out of the mess? There is an off day tomorrow.

It was a 1-2 count and you’re gonna hang that cookie over the plate. I could have hit that pitch and I have not swung a wooden bat since 2015. God blessed I’ve never been so mad at a first place team ever.

Outside of his last start vs Baltimore, Ryan has been very mediocre since returning from the COVID IR

The bullpen is a disaster and so is Rocco with making pitching changes. Lost way too many games this year because of bad decisions.

Top Bottom