All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I just don’t get this usage of Duran. It’s honestly like Rocco doesn’t wanna win today. The fact he doesn’t bring in Duran to put out the fire in the 8th and then only lets him throw 9 pitches in the 9th of a tie game and not bring him back for the 10th is just so bad. What the hell are you saving him for he has an off day tomorrow and has not pitched since Monday.

If Jeffers is gonna catch like this then he might as well not put a knee on the ground. My gosh that was awful in the 10th.

If Jeffers is gonna catch like this then he might as well not put a knee on the ground. My gosh that was awful in the 10th.
I question why Jeffers wasn't pinch hit for in the 10th more than any bullpen decisions today. GIDP. Uffda.

I just don’t get this usage of Duran. It’s honestly like Rocco doesn’t wanna win today. The fact he doesn’t bring in Duran to put out the fire in the 8th and then only lets him throw 9 pitches in the 9th of a tie game and not bring him back for the 10th is just so bad. What the hell are you saving him for he has an off day tomorrow and has not pitched since Monday.
Megill has been at least decent. With everyone that had been used, I didn't have a problem with him trying to get the last out in the 8th. Duran must have been restricted for some reason, didn't let him start the 10th either after a relatively quick 9th.

Great job again, Rocco.

See how the rest of the season goes....but I would be more than fine getting rid of him. I don't remember his pitching decisions being bad his first year....but they've been brutal ever since.

I question why Jeffers wasn't pinch hit for in the 10th more than any bullpen decisions today. GIDP. Uffda.

Megill has been at least decent. With everyone that had been used, I didn't have a problem with him trying to get the last out in the 8th. Duran must have been restricted for some reason, didn't let him start the 10th either after a relatively quick 9th.
I want Duran to come into the 8th and pitch out of that jam. If not and he’s gives you the tie then you can pull him for the 9th. All I want are the best players put into the game and not other dogs out of the bullpen in division games.

The sample size of Megill being decent is pretty small. Prior to pitching 1/3rd of inning last night, he hadn't pitched in 3 weeks. He made 4 appearances in June where he pitched well against 3 offensively challenged teams (Detroit - last in runs scored and Seattle/Tampa Bay - Tied 23rd in runs scored). His other appearance was against the Yankees where he gave up 3 hits and 2 ER.

Coming into the game today, he had given up 45 hits and 29 runs (25 earned) in 37 IP in his major league career. Not a guy you want to trust with a lead late.

This is by far the most frustating loss of the season because of the myriad of poor decisions by Rocco. Five separate leads and you blow all of them. Off the top of my head, he has now cost the Twins 7 games. I get that over the course of the season, you're going to win and lose games you shouldn't. But all of these high probability wins turning to losses have been largely because of Rocco's decisions.

After pulling Ryan, the order of pitching should have went Megill (5th), Moran (6th), Thielbar (7th), Jax (8th), and then Duran (9th and 10th if needed). Use Pagan out of desperation in the 11th.

Batting Jeffers in the 10th was unexcusable. The guy has been a blackhole offensively for 1 and a half seasons now as he struggles to even bat .200. Pinch-hit Correa there or tell Jeffers to not take the bat off his shoulders. Get a BB or a K to give Arraez a chance to bat. Also, Jeffers is supposed to be the defensive catcher but he has not been good the past month defensively. It will never happen, but imagine Wilson Contreras in this lineup at C.

As an aside, it sure would be nice to see Buxton bust out of this prolonged slump. In his 74 at-bats (including his 5 today) spanning 20 games, he is 13 for 74 (.176) with 6 BBs and 26 Ks. 9 of those 13 hits have gone for extra bases (2 2Bs, 2 3Bs, 5 HRs). The 26 Ks in 74 at-bats leads to a strikeout rate of 35.1%. Compared to last year where he struckout 26.4% of his at-bats while batting .306 in 235 at-bats.

Assuming AK doesn't need an IL stint, would love to see this lineup going forward:

Arraez
Buxton
Correa
Polanco
Kirilloff
Urshela
Miranda
Sanchez
Kepler

The sample size of Megill being decent is pretty small. Prior to pitching 1/3rd of inning last night, he hadn't pitched in 3 weeks. He made 4 appearances in June where he pitched well against 3 offensively challenged teams (Detroit - last in runs scored and Seattle/Tampa Bay - Tied 23rd in runs scored). His other appearance was against the Yankees where he gave up 3 hits and 2 ER.

Coming into the game today, he had given up 45 hits and 29 runs (25 earned) in 37 IP in his major league career. Not a guy you want to trust with a lead late.
Agreed. Small sample size.

not happy about a lot of things ----

but I will point this out.

people mostly complain about the moves that do not work out.

The Twins are in 1st place by 4-1/2 games, but if you didn't look at the standings and based your opinion on twitter and message board comments, you would think the Twins were 10 games below .500 and in last place in their division.

this may be the least popular 1st-place team in MN sports history.

The Twins are in 1st place by 4-1/2 games, but if you didn't look at the standings and based your opinion on twitter and message board comments, you would think the Twins were 10 games below .500 and in last place in their division.

It is puzzling. Usually unexpected success translates into an enthusiastic fanbase. After 2021, I did not expect the Twins to be in 1st place past April much less after Independence Day.

Heck, I did not think there would be any MLB games played at all at this point.

This is true, but it's like the Vikings beating the Lions by 3 at half time when they should be up 17.

No one else in the division is more than a game over .500 and if they'd just held on to a couple of the 6 8th inning leads they've choked in the last two weeks, they'd have a 7-8 game lead and be close to locking it up. Instead they're going to white knuckle it when the White Sox inevitably heat up.

This is true, but it's like the Vikings beating the Lions by 3 at half time when they should be up 17.

No one else in the division is more than a game over .500 and if they'd just held on to a couple of the 6 8th inning leads they've choked in the last two weeks, they'd have a 7-8 game lead and be close to locking it up. Instead they're going to white knuckle it when the White Sox inevitably heat up.
Is it really inevitable the White Sox heat up? I would need to see more evidence.

They could make some trades or get healthy which no doubt could lead to a good/great 2nd half, but at this point I'm skeptical. Still a really good line-up but fielding is really a mess. If their rotation comes back to form then ok it's possible, but that seems far from inevitable.

87 or 88 wins will likely be enough to win the AL Central. 90 I think would be a runaway.

further thoughts:

It should also be stated that there is a group of Twins fans - and most members of the media - who have taken the position that "nothing matters until the Twins win a playoff game."

in recent days, I've also heard/read Barreiro, Zulgad and others give some variation of: "The Twins are not serious about winning if they don't add a top relief pitcher by the trade deadline." Of course, the definition of a "top relief pitcher" is open to interpretation.

the bottom line is that there always seems to be another level to climb in order for people to be willing to accept the Twins as legitimate.

further thoughts:

It should also be stated that there is a group of Twins fans - and most members of the media - who have taken the position that "nothing matters until the Twins win a playoff game."

in recent days, I've also heard/read Barreiro, Zulgad and others give some variation of: "The Twins are not serious about winning if they don't add a top relief pitcher by the trade deadline." Of course, the definition of a "top relief pitcher" is open to interpretation.

the bottom line is that there always seems to be another level to climb in order for people to be willing to accept the Twins as legitimate.
The Oferwhatever play-off record I would say justifies any skepticism from the media.

Hopefully there is some more general fan buy in to get Target Field crowds up to the 30,000 range through Labor Day.

further thoughts:

It's the truth. If they don't add at least 2 decent relievers, they're not being serious about trying to win and should be ashamed of themselves. Period.

Damn - Emilio Pagan is throwing down. article in the Strib where he says...........some stuff.........

"I'm extremely confident, and I know I'm one of the best guys in that role," Pagan said, adding he respects whatever Baldelli decides. "… I'll try and help the team in whatever role moving forward."

"If you take the Guardians out of my season, I think I've got a legitimate shot at going to the All-Star Game," Pagan said. "… I think I've got an over 10 K per nine [innings], and if you take out the first month [10 walks in 8⅔ innings], my walks per nine are really, really low. It's hard to put your finger on it. I wish there was a better explanation for what's going on."

"I truly believe that with the way I'm throwing it, when you look up at the end of the year," Pagan said, "I'm going to be one of the best relievers in baseball numbers-wise."

in other words, if you don't count any of my bad outings, I'm really good.
I’m all about guys being confident in their stuff but this isn’t it.

I’m all about guys being confident in their stuff but this isn’t it.
The problem Pagan was terrible the 2nd half of last year too. He is almost single handedly responsible for the Padres manager being fired and now having to be the twins bench coach.

The twins talk like he’s some lights out closer and if only they can get him back to being himself. I agree his stuff looks amazing, but he doesn’t throw strikes and he gives up lots of homeruns. That just not this year it was last year and 2020 too.

I am shocked that Angel Hernandez blew a fair foul call. Took a double away from Buxton.

Third base ump puts himself in position to NOT be able to see the chalk line and then makes the wrong call. Nice work, dipshit.

Third base ump puts himself in position to NOT be able to see the chalk line and then makes the wrong call. Nice work, dipshit.
the replay system is so stupid. Cause the play happened in front of him you can’t review it. Instead why not call it a fair ball and let the play happen then it could be reviewed. If it’s foul no harm you go back to the batter box. I if it’s fair you have the correct outcome of the play.

the replay system is so stupid. Cause the play happened in front of him you can’t review it. Instead why not call it a fair ball and let the play happen then it could be reviewed. If it’s foul no harm you go back to the batter box. I if it’s fair you have the correct outcome of the play.

Yeah that was completely botched. Hopefully he has to see that missed call a few times.

Top Bottom