All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

With Smeltzer being pulled after giving up 7 ER in 3.1 IP, this is the Twins 5th straight SP that has failed to pitch beyond the 5th inning and 3rd straight SP to not even get out of the 4th. The Twins can trade for multiple bullpen arms but won't mean anything if they are burned out by mid-September. Need the SP to step it up and for Rocco to allow the SPs to go deeper into ballgames when they are pitching well.

Diving Nick Gordon looked a lot like diving Jake Cave.

No way the front office can trade themselves out of this pitching mess they have created. The have two decent starters and the rest are not good. Their bullpen is a rookie in Duran who had arm issues last year and a failed starter in Griffin Jax with a bunch of other garbage.

Being a Minnesota sports fan I just can’t see how they are in 1st place come august. The only redeeming quality is the central is garbage.

No way the front office can trade themselves out of this pitching mess they have created. The have two decent starters and the rest are not good. Their bullpen is a rookie in Duran who had arm issues last year and a failed starter in Griffin Jax with a bunch of other garbage.

Being a Minnesota sports fan I just can’t see how they are in 1st place come august. The only redeeming quality is the central is garbage.

Frankie Montas says RELAX -

Last edited:

They need 2 relievers and probably a starter. It's not that complicated. I still think the rotation will be OK as long as Ober comes back decent.

3 losses in a row. Dylan Bundy on the mound tomorrow. Probably a "scheduled off day" for Buxton and Corea and Duran probably not available from the bullpen.

They need 2 relievers and probably a starter. It's not that complicated. I still think the rotation will be OK as long as Ober comes back decent.
There is no way this front office gives up those number and type of prospects required to get two good bullpen arms and a starting pitcher. Plus they have to be in 1st place still by the time the trading deadline gets here to even wanna make those trade.

There is no way this front office gives up those number and type of prospects required to get two good bullpen arms and a starting pitcher. Plus they have to be in 1st place still by the time the trading deadline gets here to even wanna make those trade.
They don't have to be great bullpen arms, though one that can co-close would be nice. In 2019 they got Romo and Dyson without giving up a top 15 prospect.

They don't have to be great bullpen arms, though one that can co-close would be nice. In 2019 they got Romo and Dyson without giving up a top 15 prospect.
True Rome was ok in 2019, their issue came in 2020 when they resigned his . Sam Dyson was a terrible trade as pretty sure San Fransisco knew he was hurt when they traded him.

For the Twins to have a chance, Gray and Ryan have to lead the starters. You can argue that a "better" team would have better pitchers as their #1 and #2 starters - but that's a moot point at this stage of the season.

Ober has only made 7 starts due to injury. Paddock was a gamble that backfired. Archer has actually pitched pretty well, but only averages 4 innings per start. Smeltzer is a Triple-A pitcher in my book. Winder has a lot of promise, but has to stay healthy. Bundy is Bundy - a 4.50 ERA with a .500 record.

So another quality starter would really help.

Maeda could potentially return sometime this year, but can't count on that to make the difference.

The Vanimal. That might not have been the best trade ever either. Although they did get Trevor may who once failed as a starter became a good RP.

Noticed that the MLB amateur draft starts next Sunday.

Already saw one team trade a 1st-round draft pick for three prospects. Would the Twins consider going that route? After trading away last year's #1 pick, I assume they will want to keep the pick this year, but you never know.

the baseball draft is such a crap-shoot because you really don't know anything about most of the players. a few of the high-profile college players maybe, but the HS kids are a complete mystery.

It's on the same level with the NHL draft - you're picking players who will probably not be ready to contribute to the major-league team for 3 or 4 years at the earliest.

Top Bottom