All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Not when that is the number one factor keeping the twins from winning games against Cleveland. They have 1 reliable bullpen arm and a starting staff that rarely makes it out of the 5th inning. In a 162 game season that is a bad combination.

Not saying I disagree with your premise.

My/the bigger point is that you can’t change the past - so maybe try letting go?
We still have all of July/August left, so pacing your animus might help you avoid an ulcer

Tough to blame the Twins for a player getting injured. Young, controllable starting pitching is what this team has been unable to develop. Two/three plus years of a healthy Paddock was worth one year of Rogers. The Twins likely decided they weren't going to pay Rogers premium closer money next winter. Pagan has been decent until recently but should not be their set-up guy or closer. I don't know much about the prospect.

We have ripped the Twins in the past for sending assets away to get money back in these types of deals. This doesn't fall under that category. I didn't mind the trade at the time.
My personal opinion is beat the crap out of Rodgers arm and two things can happen. Either you are good and you keep him the whole 2022 season and he’s a valuable part of the rotation. Or you suck and you trade him at the deadline for maybe the same if not better package.

To me the twins send up to many signals. We wanna win now so let’s get Correa for 1 year and $35million. Let’s go get sonny Grey and trade away out #1 pick to win now. But let’s trade away our all star closer for an average starter and below average bullpen arm.

It’s no different then the Vikings. Have a GM who wants 20 draft picks every year and a coach that hates rookies.

It just doesn’t work. The twins would be a much better team had they kept Rodgers, plus they would have another $6million to shop at the trading deadline to add a bullpen arm.

Not saying I disagree with your premise.

My/the bigger point is that you can’t change the past - so maybe try letting go?
We still have all of July/August left, so pacing your animus might help you avoid an ulcer
The past rears it’s ugly head everytime Pagan takes the mound unfortunately. I don’t blame this at all on Rocco this is the front office and their in ability to address a weakness of the team and provide the manage with the tools to win. Starters going 5 innings, 1 inning bullpen arms, and bad bullpen arms with a 13 pitcher roster is not a receipt for success and look where they are despite it all.

Last mention of the Rodgers trade until the middle of July.

My personal opinion is beat the crap out of Rodgers arm and two things can happen. Either you are good and you keep him the whole 2022 season and he’s a valuable part of the rotation. Or you suck and you trade him at the deadline for maybe the same if not better package.

To me the twins send up to many signals. We wanna win now so let’s get Correa for 1 year and $35million. Let’s go get sonny Grey and trade away out #1 pick to win now. But let’s trade away our all star closer for an average starter and below average bullpen arm.

It’s no different then the Vikings. Have a GM who wants 20 draft picks every year and a coach that hates rookies.

It just doesn’t work. The twins would be a much better team had they kept Rodgers, plus they would have another $6million to shop at the trading deadline to add a bullpen arm.

I'll disagree to this extent. No doubt the trade becomes more one sided if the starter goes down to TJ in the first couple months. But an above average closer is an unnecessary commodity if you don't have a starting staff that can get to the later innings. The Twins had a starting staff of Ryan, Ober, and a bunch of question marks (Bundy included) once the lock-out ended. A better than expected signing of Archer, trades for Paddock and Gray, and a surprising start from Smeltzer allows us to even have this conversation. They can find additional relievers at the trade deadline.

More in depth stuff on the Wes Johnson departure.

As for short term replacements per the article:

Likely candidates are assistant pitching coach Luis Ramirez, bullpen coach Pete Maki and run prevention coordinator Colby Suggs, though the team has emphasized it will be a group effort to finish this season.

I find it hard to believe the scribe wrote bolded with a straight face. Uffda.

Think of this. Our bullpen has in epic fashion blown 3 games to cleveland this past week. We win those 3 games and we are 8 games ahead of cleveland right now and 9.5 up on chicago. Awful.

Think of this. Our bullpen has in epic fashion blown 3 games to cleveland this past week. We win those 3 games and we are 8 games ahead of cleveland right now and 9.5 up on chicago. Awful.
I think you need to check your definition of "epic fashion". Blowing a 1 run lead in a 2-1 game today in the bottom of the 8th is hardly epic. Neither was giving up a 5-3 lead heading into the top of the 8. Not exactly uncommon events.

Poor performances for sure. Epic? Hardly.

The 11-10 game was border line "epic", giving up a 3 run lead in the 9th to the Guards.

We have holes, but then again most clubs do - we’re not the Angels or White Sox, so we have that going for us.
It’s 1-1,so let’s go win the next 2 of 3 and win the series. Lastly Cleveland has a decent club and lots of fight in them.

Last edited:

I think you need to check your definition of "epic fashion". Blowing a 1 run lead in a 2-1 game today in the bottom of the 8th is hardly epic. Neither was giving up a 5-3 lead heading into the top of the 8. Not exactly uncommon events.

Poor performances for sure. Epic? Hardly.

The 11-10 game was border line "epic", giving up a 3 run lead in the 9th to the Guards.

Giving up 3 such games within a week to what looks like one's main rival. Pretty epic .

Nice start by Winder and glad he’s featuring his fastball a lot tonight.
We can add him to the pitchers The Twins have developed list also.

Last edited:

Winder goes into the bullpen after this no matter what. A much needed boost for our bullpen, especially from the left side.

Winder goes into the bullpen after this no matter what. A much needed boost for our bullpen, especially from the left side.
Should have gone in there after the rehab starts. There was no need to send him down again although it might have had something to do with service time. Or at least that is what Gleeman and the Geek were talking about on their podcast. He is a perfect long reliever who can eat innings which is exactly what the twins need in blowout games. Someone that can get the last 9 outs of a game and need require you to use 3 guys because most of the relievers are limited to 1 inning at a time.

Jogging out of the box and gunned at 2nd, then no idea what we are doing and picked at 3rd.

Good Grief!

You know this will come back to bite them. Rocco looked like he never saw it happen.
I am not a giant Rocco fan either, but it’s not his fault Miranda has no idea what he’s doing in every aspect of baseball except hitting. You could argue that it might be irresponsible to put on a safety squeeze with a guy with no clue on the base paths and a bench player but and you would be right.

What I would like to see is a consequence for Jeffers not running out of the box . There is no reason he was thrown out at 2nd other then he watched and then jogged most of the way to first before starting to run. That play should get you benched but I doubt that will happen.

Plus as it was mentioned on Twitter and tv the twins are 32-6 when scoring 4 or more runs so that base running disaster may hurt them yet who knows.

No clue what Garlick is thinking during that at-bat. Pilkington just threw a 4 pitch walk to Correa and starts out 2-0 to Garlick. He swings at pitch 3 up above the strikezone, takes another ball, swings at the 3-1 pitch which was a ball inside and then swings at a changeup outside the zone to K. Should be bases loaded with nobody out here in the 5th.

Buxton crushes HR #20 to dead center and the Twins lead 6-0. A career high in homeruns for Buxton and not even halfway through the season yet. Hopefully his health holds up and this should be a 30+ HR year for him.

Looking like they just may!

Yep, I'm still steamed over that first game. But adding winder to our bullpen could be huge. As an aside, am really glad we're back to 9 inning doubleheaders.

Top Bottom