All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Why is Wes Johnson being allowed to stay for even 1 game? Get him on the first flight or bus to Baton Rouge. Bring in whomever they can on on an interim basis by game time tomorrow.

I guess I don't know enough about college baseball to figure out how a baseball program can or would want to pay that much to an assistant coach.

Agreed. Kinda crappy to leave in the middle of the season.

Why does he need to leave before the season ends? Very crappy thing to do. On the flip side, how do you let a key coach walk over $350K when you spend $140 million on player payroll?

Why does he need to leave before the season ends? Very crappy thing to do. On the flip side, how do you let a key coach walk over $350K when you spend $140 million on player payroll?

Penny wise and a pound foolish?
The ghost of Carl?

There are reports the twins never knew about this so how can they match an offer they don’t know about? The way Wes handled the situation there is no way I would match the salary after finding out about it on Twitter. Plus who’s to say even with the additional money he would have wanted to stay. I can imagine the college game is a little more family friendly then the pro game.

Penny wise and a pound foolish?
The ghost of Carl?
If you found out a employee was leaving for a new job via Twitter would you rush in and give them more money. No way I would, what Wes did was totally unprofessional and will be an issue with him working in the majors again.

This cheap pohlads narrative is just such a lazy narrative. They spend in line with the money they generate. They just signed Josh Donaldson (which was a mistake) to a long contract before trading his ass. It’s mlb it like the Minneapolis market is a hotbed attracting key free agents like the costs and St. Louis.

If you found out a employee was leaving for a new job via Twitter would you rush in and give them more money. No way I would, what Wes did was totally unprofessional and will be an issue with him working in the majors again.

This cheap pohlads narrative is just such a lazy narrative. They spend in line with the money they generate. They just signed Josh Donaldson (which was a mistake) to a long contract before trading his ass. It’s mlb it like the Minneapolis market is a hotbed attracting key free agents like the costs and St. Louis.

Why so mad? Another bad day at the office? Opps it's Monday morning

Apparently you didn’t read my first post (see below) on the subject matter and/or are mad that you were wrong about Archer and The pitching prospects The Twins have developed recently. The second comment was me being pithy regarding the Polad's. In my experience when there is a disagreement over $$ between 2 parties, the truth lies somewhere in the middle between what each side is positing.

Have a blessed or angry day, your choice, bro.

the part that gets me is this:

who walks away from their job with 4 days notice?

from all accounts, the Twins' organization did not know anything about this until this weekend.
So a well-paid member of your leadership team secretly negotiates for a new position, and then walks away with almost no notice.

that's just not not "professional."

it would be interesting to read his Twins' contract to see what it says about giving notice of termination.

according to a Tweet from Reusse, players were finding out about this from social media reports while the team is on the freakin' plane. so the pitchers are finding out their pitching coach is bailing on the team mid-season, but they still have to work with the guy this week.

OH - and the Twins are playing the team that is chasing them in the standings for a key 5-game series.

What could go wrong?

Yes it’s beyond unprofessional and since the college season is over this could have waited for the AS break - if he was their guy and they wanted him the bad, they could have waited a few more weeks.

Fall ball in college baseball is important for development and working on new things. So I can see why he’d be needed then. Also, I doubt he’ll ever get another job at the pro level.

I hope this will galvanize the team and maybe they can put a fathead of Wes in the bullpen when he departs and have Duran warm up on it.

Sonny’s got the start tomorrow, good to have an experienced pro out there to handle the distraction and keep the club focused and man is he fun to watch pitch

Last edited:

How the hell do you have this guy in the dugout for the next 4 days? It's just Minnesota sports in a nutshell.

UNBELIEVABLE

Just be thankful for being in the division we are.
I think whomever is 2nd in the AL Central will have a punchers chance at still making the Wild Card, now that there are 3 of them. The AL East should start beating up on each other and even the Orioles are not horrible, though they might be trading off assets at the deadline.

I really dislike the playoff expansion, but as long as it's there, go for it I guess. Especially since that WC would play the worst Division Winner, which would most likely be also the AL Central Champ.

Why so mad? Another bad day at the office? Opps it's Monday morning

Apparently you didn’t read my first post (see below) on the subject matter and/or are mad that you were wrong about Archer and The pitching prospects The Twins have developed recently. The second comment was me being pithy regarding the Polad's. In my experience when there is a disagreement over $$ between 2 parties, the truth lies somewhere in the middle between what each side is positing.

Have a blessed or angry day, your choice, bro.

Yes it’s beyond unprofessional and since the college season is over this could have waited for the AS break - if he was their guy and they wanted him the bad, they could have waited a few more weeks.

Fall ball in college baseball is important for development and working on new things. So I can see why he’d be needed then. Also, I doubt he’ll ever get another job at the pro level.

I hope this will galvanize the team and maybe they can put a fathead of Wes in the bullpen when he departs and have Duran warm up on it.

Sonny’s got the start tomorrow, good to have an experienced pro out there to handle the distraction and keep the club focused and man is he fun to watch pitch
I am very happy with the work they have done with Archer and some of the other prospects. Would I love them to get a longer leash and more pitches, yes but its also 2022 and baseball is different. I was wrong back in may and archer has been fantastic. So have Smeltzer and Duran.

I feel the Pohlads always get this cheap connotation when it’s not warranted. All the supposed “fans” that said they were promised a World Series when the stadium was built and only if they spent 250million a year on payroll they could have. I think the Pohlads told terry ryan to spend money and you got some terrible contracts on washes up pitchers out of that situation. For what the twins are they have done a darn good job over the years. It’s just tough when you run into the same teams in the playoffs each year and they are flat out better then you are.

Enjoying your Monday and looking forward to winning 3 of 5 against Cleveland.

For what it’s worth it would have landed the plane and left Wes Johnson on the tarmac of a runway somewhere. If you are an employee and work behind my back to get a new job you are done as soon as I find out. If you work with me then I have more leeway and could make things work.

to be clear - I can see the other side of this.

more money - fewer games in college season - less travel - more time at home with the family

and as noted in some articles, this positions Johnson to possibly grab a Head Coaching job in college.

my issue is with the timing and the disclosure.

for all we know, LSU could have said the job is yours BUT you have to start immediately.

But, IMHO, the fair thing for Johnson to do would have been to tell the Twins immediately once he was contacted and keep the Twins in the loop about the state of the negotiations.

maybe then the Twins could have had a plan ready to announce to prevent this crazy 'lame-duck' week.

BTW - Reusse pushing idea of LaTroy Hawkins as Interim pitching coach. I kind of like that.

I am very happy with the work they have done with Archer and some of the other prospects. Would I love them to get a longer leash and more pitches, yes but its also 2022 and baseball is different. I was wrong back in may and archer has been fantastic. So have Smeltzer and Duran.

I feel the Pohlads always get this cheap connotation when it’s not warranted. All the supposed “fans” that said they were promised a World Series when the stadium was built and only if they spent 250million a year on payroll they could have. I think the Pohlads told terry ryan to spend money and you got some terrible contracts on washes up pitchers out of that situation. For what the twins are they have done a darn good job over the years. It’s just tough when you run into the same teams in the playoffs each year and they are flat out better then you are.

Enjoying your Monday and looking forward to winning 3 of 5 against Cleveland.

For what it’s worth it would have landed the plane and left Wes Johnson on the tarmac of a runway somewhere. If you are an employee and work behind my back to get a new job you are done as soon as I find out. If you work with me then I have more leeway and could make things work.

We’re more or less on the same page and I still like the club we have for the season.
Obviously AK was ready and I’m glad he’s staking claim at first and giving us another stick in the lineup - I was wrong to be hesitant on not giving him first and basically making it his spot to lose.

I wonder who the pitching coach at Triple A is? Seems like the logical choice to finish out the year, as he has relationships with mane of te guys on the staff already and understands the organization’s pitching philosophy.

I think that Moran and Matt Canterino will be huge pieces moving forward.

Agree we need 3 out of 5 and Sonny takes care of his business tonight.

I like it bust your chops as you seem like a cool dude, knowledgeable and I respect (most of your 😆)insights.
Cool we can be having spirited discussions at the end of June regarding our first place club

Last edited:

The Twins' ass't pitching coach and bullpen coach are each in their first year at the major league level.

Twins Assistant Pitching Coach is Luis Ramirez. Ramirez, 48, has worked in player development for the Twins for the last 16 seasons and most recently served as pitching coach for the organization's Double-A affiliate in Wichita. He will also join a Major League staff for the first time in his coaching career.

Bullpen coach Pete Maki: Maki joined the Twins organization as their minor league pitching coordinator after the 2017 season. The Twins promoted him to their major league coaching staff for the 2021 season.

AAA: Cibney Bello and Virgil Vasquez will serve as the Saints’ pitching coaches. Bello will mark his seventh year as a coach in the Twins organization and second at the Triple-A level, while Vasquez is in his eighth year in the organization and joins the Triple-A staff after serving as Double-A pitching coach last season

to be clear - I can see the other side of this.

more money - fewer games in college season - less travel - more time at home with the family

and as noted in some articles, this positions Johnson to possibly grab a Head Coaching job in college.

my issue is with the timing and the disclosure.

for all we know, LSU could have said the job is yours BUT you have to start immediately.

But, IMHO, the fair thing for Johnson to do would have been to tell the Twins immediately once he was contacted and keep the Twins in the loop about the state of the negotiations.

maybe then the Twins could have had a plan ready to announce to prevent this crazy 'lame-duck' week.

BTW - Reusse pushing idea of LaTroy Hawkins as Interim pitching coach. I kind of like that.
Nothing against LaTroy, but he's never been an MLB pitching coach and it's the middle of the season. If you want to bring him on in some advisory role, fine. But naming him the new guy over the interim staff would be hard to justify and incredibly awkward.

Definitely not "cheap Pohlads". More likely "pissed off Derek/Rocco" told him to pound sand. But apparently he never asked them to match the $.

Or he currently has family issues and wanted to travel less and be closer to home.

Last edited:

Or he currently has family issues and wanted to travel less and be closer to home.
As bad as the pitching was last year, I thought he was going to be scapegoated and canned.

Yes they have improved this year, but isn't MLB scoring in general way down?

Definitely not "cheap Pohlads". More likely "pissed off Derek/Rocco" told him to pound sand. But apparently he never asked them to match the $.
1656370808051.png
Geez, thought the “ghost of Carl” was a dead giveaway that I was being a wise azz especially compared to the tenor of my prior post regarding the issue. Oh, well

We’re more or less on the same page and I still like the club we have for the season.
Obviously AK was ready and I’m glad he’s staking claim at first and giving us another stick in the lineup - I was wrong to be hesitant on not giving him first and basically making it his spot to lose.

I wonder who the pitching coach at Triple A is? Seems like the logical choice to finish out the year, as he has relationships with mane of te guys on the staff already and understands the organization’s pitching philosophy.

I think that Moran and Matt Canterino will be huge pieces moving forward.

Agree we need 3 out of 5 and Sonny takes care of his business tonight.

I like it bust your chops as you seem like a cool dude, knowledgeable and I respect (most of your 😆)insights.
Cool we can be having spirited discussions at the end of June regarding our first place club
I hope they try had to get Hawkins to come in on an interim basis and see how it goes. Works well bring him back in 2023 full time.

Yes the summers are long when you have a crappy baseball team already out of it in May.

It’s always fun talking twins.

Now, can we please find a way to hold onto a lead against cleveland. Just for something different.

Sanchez may kill someone if he keeps swinging the bat like he is tonight

Why is buxton still in? Maybe have another asst coach resign before tomorrows games. Seems to help.

Last edited:

Top Bottom