All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

For Montas, I feel like the A's would want to start with E Rodriguez, Miranda, or Winder. Ain't gonna be cheap.

on Winder - I see him as a starter long-term.
For this season, use him as a spot starter/long man.

But, to take a "big picture" outlook - my gut tells me that Falvey and Levine thought they would be getting more help by now from some of the younger pitchers in the minors. But a number of those prospects have been sidetracked by injury or just not pitching well.

Winder has major-league stuff. a lot of people still like Balazovic. Canterino is said by some to have the best stuff of anyone in the system. Varland has been impressive. and then there are people like Woods-Richardson, Enlow and Povich.

So, if you think that a number of these players are on the verge of contributing, maybe you think twice about giving up multiple prospects in a trade.

I just don't see the Twins as a World Series contender this season. So I would be less likely to trade away 3 or 4 top prospects just to win a few more games and maybe make it through the first round of the playoffs.

If you think you have a legitimate shot to make it to the Series, fine - go for it.

For Montas, I feel like the A's would want to start with E Rodriguez, Miranda, or Winder. Ain't gonna be cheap.
I’d do everything to keep Winder and try and include a minor league pitcher who hasn’t been in the majors yet.
Miranda and Martin were both top 100 global prospects at the start of the season

Last edited:

I’d do everything to keep Winder and try and include a minor leaguer who hasn’t been in the majors yet.
Miranda and Martin were both top 100 global prospects at the start of the season

Not sure if a's would be interested in martin. Been rather underwhelming for him this year and last. I just don't think we're gonna get Montas without pain.

But, to take a "big picture" outlook - my gut tells me that Falvey and Levine thought they would be getting more help by now from some of the younger pitchers in the minors. But a number of those prospects have been sidetracked by injury or just not pitching well.

Winder has major-league stuff. a lot of people still like Balazovic. Canterino is said by some to have the best stuff of anyone in the system. Varland has been impressive. and then there are people like Woods-Richardson, Enlow and Povich.

So, if you think that a number of these players are on the verge of contributing, maybe you think twice about giving up multiple prospects in a trade.

I just don't see the Twins as a World Series contender this season. So I would be less likely to trade away 3 or 4 top prospects just to win a few more games and maybe make it through the first round of the playoffs.

If you think you have a legitimate shot to make it to the Series, fine - go for it.

I don't trade Miranda, E Rodriguez, or Winder. Everyone else is on the table for me.

They need to win an f'in play-off game first. If acquiring Montas helps with that (and more next year) do it. Buxton is at his peak. We have Correa. We won't have a better shot in 2024 or 2025. We keep hoarding prospects for a tomorrow that never comes.

Not sure if a's would be interested in martin. Been rather underwhelming for him this year and last. I just don't think we're gonna get Montas without pain.
Exactly. Oakland can just sit back and let teams bid against each other. It’s going to take a real attractive package of talent to get him.

All those guys in the minors lost a year of development due to COVID.

Ryan, Ober, Smeltzer, Winder, Jax and Moran have all made their debuts or in Smeltzer’s case became key contributors over the last 2 seasons- not 2 shabby.
iIRC when the new front office started we had one of the worse farm systems and now we’re right in the middle last time I checked- Rome wasn’t built in a day and it appears we are on the right track and have many good young arms comin. If you have depth than you can trade a few good propects, not cripple your organization and strategically add pieces.

Adding another quality starter also might give Correa a reason to stay as he sees we are serious about winning and opts in for one more year, as the weakest free agent SS class is following next season and not after this one, IIRC.

Last edited:

Feels like you are repeating yourself now. Feels like this I kind of going nowhere. Agree to disagree.
Well yes, because blowing a 1 run 8th inning lead just is not that big of a deal, but here I am repeating myself again.

It would be best to just let this go, but against better judgement here goes nothing...

> The Puckett HR just is does not seem germane in any way to this discussion. His historic HR was 1 swing of the bat in the same game he made perhaps a catch in CF that is only 2nd to Willie Mays. In this stretch against 2nd place Cleveland, the Twins were relying on 1-3 pitchers in 4 games against the the Guards and needed to get 6-9 outs. Who is going to remember the Twins lost a few close games in June if they go on to win the Division or get routed for that matter by either Cleveland or Chicago?

> The bullpen actually did not go 0-3 in Save situations against Cleveland, they went 1-3. So if they lost "6 games in the standings" for the ones they coughed up they also need to be given credit for the game they did save, which is a 2 game swing back in their favor. Net -4. Not great but also not epically tragic. If we take the MLB Blown Save percentage at 37% and apply it to the probability of for the Twins, they were most likely to scuffle in 1 game and it was about 50/50 they would squander at least 2. The blew it in 3, that's baseball.

2 were before the 9th inning, before teams have traditionally used their "stopper".

Neither here nor there, it can also be pointed out that the Twins offense had chances all 3 times to mount additional rallies of their own after they leads were given up, but didn't. Could have scored more runs to begin with as well. Team game.

Off topic, which was more epic Kirby Puckett's Game 6 Catch & HR or Jack Morris' Game 7 10 Inning Shutout? I don't think either gets to Cooperstown without what they did together over back-to-back fall evenings in 1991. That's the one way to ensure your bullpen doesn't blow it. Never give them a chance. Those days are few and far between in 2022. Advantage...push.

Last edited:

Well yes, because blowing a 1 run 8th inning lead just is not that big of a deal, but here I am repeating myself again.

It would be best to just let this go, but against better judgement here goes nothing...

> The Puckett HR just is does not seem germane in any way to this discussion. His historic HR was 1 swing of the bat in the same game he made perhaps a catch in CF that is only 2nd to Willie Mays. In this stretch against 2nd place Cleveland, the Twins were relying on 1-3 pitchers in 4 games against the the Guards and needed to get 6-9 outs. Who is going to remember the Twins lost a few close games in June if they go on to win the Division or get routed for that matter by either Cleveland or Chicago?

> The bullpen actually did not go 0-3 in Save situations against Cleveland, they went 1-3. So if they lost "6 games in the standings" for the ones they coughed up they also need to be given credit for the game they did save, which is a 2 game swing back in their favor. Net -4. Not great but also not epically tragic. If we take the MLB Blown Save percentage at 37% and apply it to the probability of for the Twins, they were most likely to scuffle in 1 game and it was about 50/50 they would squander at least 2. The blew it in 3, that's baseball.

2 were before the 9th inning, before teams have traditionally used their "stopper".

Neither here nor there, it can also be pointed out that the Twins offense had chances all 3 times to mount additional rallies of their own after they leads were given up, but didn't. Could have scored more runs to begin with as well. Team game.

Off topic, which was more epic Kirby Puckett's Game 6 Catch & HR or Jack Morris' Game 7 10 Inning Shutout? I don't think either gets to Cooperstown without what they did together over back-to-back fall evenings in 1991. That's the one way to ensure your bullpen doesn't blow it. Never give them a chance. Those days are few and far between in 2022. Advantage...push.

Should've stopped after your second paragraph and I shouldn't have responded to your first post I guess. Not sure why this bothers you so much. Your arguments aren't convincing to me and it's fine with me if you think they are.
We both feel like we won so let's leave it at that. 🙂

Last edited:

Hopefully this is the last year of the free runner at second base.

Hopefully this is the last year of the free runner at second base.
At minimum I wish they would wait until the 11th before the free runner.

I don't think it's going away though, or even is going to be modified.

Correa with the cluth pinch-hit single to give the Twins a 4-3 lead in the top of the 10th.

It looks like it will be Pagan (lol) in the bottom half so hopefully the Twins can tack on 2 more as we will likely need them.

Edit: Kepler answers the call with a 2 run shot and Twins lead 6-3. If Pagan can not close this one out, don't even let him get on the plane home.

Last edited:

Correa with the cluth pinch-hit single to give the Twins a 4-3 lead in the top of the 10th.

It looks like it will be Pagan (lol) in the bottom half so hopefully the Twins can tack on 2 more as we will likely need them.

Can duran pitch 3 innings?

Kepler would be hall of famer if he could play every game against cleveland.

I just can’t get into Perkins being the color guy. He repeats everything Dick says except slightly different and he just talks to talk not to say something. I would think he could provide much more insight like Tory does but what the heck he’s one of us.

I just can’t get into Perkins being the color guy. He repeats everything Dick says except slightly different and he just talks to talk not to say something. I would think he could provide much more insight like Tory does but what the heck he’s one of us.

Just please don't bring back bert. 🙂

I don't know why, but Wes Johnson coming out makes me laugh.

Pagan being out there again makes me laugh, also.

Aren't we this big analytics team? Well, Rocco, it's been proven he has no chance against Cleveland.

Top Bottom