All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Personally I say go after both of the A's pitchers...gives one guy another year to develop in the minors

Lots of movement today. Rizzo back to NYY. Chapman dealt to Toronto. Rosario resigned in Atlanta. Phillies signed Kyle Schwarber.
And still, we wait.

Raise your hand if you have faith in Falvey to "pounce" on Story and one of the A's pitchers....
In addition to the White Sox, the latest report is that the Yankees are now engaged in talks with Oakland on Manaea and Montas.

Why on earth would I go to Valley Fair? Yuck.
It was a joke regarding your lack of patience grasshopper - akin to a toddler’s 😉
I thought the Twins were signing Trevor Story yesterday. What happened there?
I’m on EST, so sometimes my cosmic communication from Kirby is off on the timing, but Puck says to Buck (get it) up as we’re on the move and the “front office got us this year,” per Kirby

The Twins have posted the lineup for Thursday's Grapefruit League opener:

Buxton CF
Arraez 3B
Polanco 2B
Sano 1B
Sanchez DH
Kepler RF
Jeffers C
Larnach LF
Gordon SS

SP - Cole Sands

Interesting to see Buxton in the leadoff spot. I guess that gets him the most AB's. And no Kirilloff.

All eyes are on Twins prospect Jose Miranda after putting up ‘video-game type numbers’ last year

Jose Miranda had never hit a walk-off home run before. He’d also never hit a ball that far.

His inexperience didn’t slow him down. Completely comfortable in the biggest moment of his career, Miranda pimped his 481-foot homer as the ball made its first orbit around the sun.

Miranda’s three-run blast on June 4, 2021 was his first signature moment in a breakout campaign full of them. Several days later, his Wichita Wind Surge teammates paid tribute to Miranda, the Twins’ No. 5 prospect — they wore T-shirts to batting practice featuring a silhouette of Miranda’s pimp job in between the phrase “Walk-Off City.”

Though it was early in the season, Miranda’s walk-off was hardly the last time he was noticed.

And the attention he received in a season in which he batted .344/.401/.572 with 30 home runs and 94 RBIs in 591 plate appearances between Double-A Wichita and Triple-A St. Paul wasn’t limited to his teammates. Miranda should have an organization full of eyes peering in his direction, especially with a new vacancy at third base created by the trade of veteran Josh Donaldson last weekend.

“If (Miranda’s performance) doesn’t get on my radar, I don’t know if anything can,” manager Rocco Baldelli said. “That’s about as good of a season as a young player can have. It was something that everyone in the major league environment and coaching staff paid a lot of attention to because it’s just an elite performance through and through. It’s hard to hit like that in high school and he was doing that as a young guy in Triple A, putting up the video game-type numbers.”

Win Twins!!

If they don't get a legit starter (or two) and a guy like Story, the earlier moves make no sense, and honestly goes down as one of the worst fumblings I've seen in a while. Without those guys, this is at best a middling club in '22. Which means why send away your first rounder from last year, and why clear salary space by jettisoning Donaldson? Obviously, there's still time to do something worthwhile. But consider me skeptical at this point...

If they don't get a legit starter (or two) and a guy like Story, the earlier moves make no sense, and honestly goes down as one of the worst fumblings I've seen in a while. Without those guys, this is at best a middling club in '22. Which means why send away your first rounder from last year, and why clear salary space by jettisoning Donaldson? Obviously, there's still time to do something worthwhile. But consider me skeptical at this point...
I believe they intended to keep IKF when they traded for him and just got excited at the chance to dump Donaldson and jumped the gun. To get Story or Montas, they will have to over-pay in $ and prospects. They can and should do so. But they won't.

Maybe having an $80 million payroll and finishing last will get Falvey fired. That would be the only positive to come out of this.

Last edited:

The only thing I can think of is their thinking is that even if they can't add anyone else this offseason, they're set up fairly good for 2023. Maeda should be back then. Gray has a team option to come back. Guys like Ryan, Ober, & Kirilloff will have one more year of experience. There are also lot of top prospects that are just about ready to get their feet wet so this might be a good year to let some of them get some playing time.

Still think they need to continue to try to add a guy like Story and/or another starter now though.

The only thing I can think of is their thinking is that even if they can't add anyone else this offseason, they're set up fairly good for 2023. Maeda should be back then. Gray has a team option to come back. Guys like Ryan, Ober, & Kirilloff will have one more year of experience. There are also lot of top prospects that are just about ready to get their feet wet so this might be a good year to let some of them get some playing time.

Still think they need to continue to try to add a guy like Story and/or another starter now though.
That doesn't really explain trading Petty. IF they don't get a viable rotation in '22, then you're building for '23. At that point, you traded a first round SP prospect (first of the Falvey era) for one option year of Gray. That's a terrible trade. If they're building for '23, it's going to be due to a lot of the youngsters making jumps by then, not signing a bunch of FA's. Thus, the $21mil they owe Donaldson in '23 isn't nearly as important to get off the books. They would owe him a buyout to get out of '24, which you do to free up money to start signing the youngsters to contracts pre-arbitration. Sano's '23 contract is a club option as well, so his roughly $10mil comes off the books.

Again, there's still time to right the ship. But it'll require them to make bold moves, which hasn't really occurred my entire tenure as a Twins fan.

Story is a Colorado product. Look at his home and road splits. No thanks.

That doesn't really explain trading Petty. IF they don't get a viable rotation in '22, then you're building for '23. At that point, you traded a first round SP prospect (first of the Falvey era) for one option year of Gray. That's a terrible trade. If they're building for '23, it's going to be due to a lot of the youngsters making jumps by then, not signing a bunch of FA's. Thus, the $21mil they owe Donaldson in '23 isn't nearly as important to get off the books. They would owe him a buyout to get out of '24, which you do to free up money to start signing the youngsters to contracts pre-arbitration. Sano's '23 contract is a club option as well, so his roughly $10mil comes off the books.

Again, there's still time to right the ship. But it'll require them to make bold moves, which hasn't really occurred my entire tenure as a Twins fan.
You're right. I do believe their plan is to add a guy like Story and/or trade for another starter. And it appears they are trying. My main point is just that if that plan doesn't work out this offseason, the trade for Gray wasn't a complete waste. Not a good trade in the end but losing a pitching prospect isn't as big of a deal now since they've done such a great job of stocking up the past few years.

Probably nothing but maybe big news coming???

That’s a pic of Story and if you read through the replies to the tweet, people are thinking it’s tease to announce Story being signed.

It would be silly for this to be on the Twins Twitter account if it isn’t happening.

Top Bottom