All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I guess Urshela? And Arraez at 3rd? I'm stumped.
Urshella has started a total of 33 games at SS his entire career. If you don't want Polanco there you sure don't want him. It would be Polanco at SS Arreaz at 2b and Urshella at 3b if that is the lineup.

I keep looking over my shoulder and expecting to see Rod Serling doing the narration for an episode of the Twilight Zone.

"Submitted for your approval, a major league front office involved in a mad flurry of inexplicable activity........"

Between the Cousins extension and this, March 13th is going to be a day to remember in MN sports. Only time will tell if it is a "day that will live in infamy."

this is bleeping nuts.

I'm afraid to go to bed, for fear of what I might find out in the morning.

One thing you have to say for the Vikings and the Wilf's, there is no doubt they are trying to win, perhaps even when they shouldn't be. I don't know what the Twins are doing. If they want to rebuild, OK. But why trade for Sonny Gray?

One thing you have to say for the Vikings and the Wilf's, there is no doubt they are trying to win, perhaps even when they shouldn't be. I don't know what the Twins are doing. If they want to rebuild, OK. But why trade for Sonny Gray?

The last trade doesn't make sense in the context of the first two unless there is another move coming.....but who knows?

My guess is that they still believe that the next crop of pitching prospects is going to pan out, but they needed a veteran arm or two to get them through the next couple of years. And I suspect they are going to pick up at least one more starter on a 1 or 2-year contract.

as for the rest of it, either Falvey and Lavine had lost their minds, or this is part of a bigger plan.

some reports suggesting that they did not want to move Kiner-Falafel, but that was a trade-off for the Yankees agreeing to take on Donaldson's entire contract. That's $50-million off the books, clearing up a lot of salary space for .............something.

So, let's see if they make some more moves over the next week.

The consensus among people who cover this team for a living very much seems to be:
A. I have no idea what the front office's plan is.
B. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Sanchez? Complete waste if they keep him. Urshela is a nice addition, but what’s the plan at SS? Nick Gordon?

Last edited:

My guess is that they still believe that the next crop of pitching prospects is going to pan out, but they needed a veteran arm or two to get them through the next couple of years. And I suspect they are going to pick up at least one more starter on a 1 or 2-year contract.

as for the rest of it, either Falvey and Lavine had lost their minds, or this is part of a bigger plan.

some reports suggesting that they did not want to move Kiner-Falafel, but that was a trade-off for the Yankees agreeing to take on Donaldson's entire contract. That's $50-million off the books, clearing up a lot of salary space for .............something.

If they just want a veteran for the rotation in a year they're not trying to win, just sign Pineda instead of giving up a 1st round draft pick for Gray. And obviously they made the IKF trade intending him to be the SS. Now what? I have zero confidence in Falvey and haven't since the 2019 trade deadline. He appears to be flying the by the seat of his pants.

Urshella has started a total of 33 games at SS his entire career. If you don't want Polanco there you sure don't want him. It would be Polanco at SS Arreaz at 2b and Urshella at 3b if that is the lineup.

Story wants a long term contract and the Yankees were unwilling to give it to him, so they still needed a SS and - good for us as he still needs a home.
Carrera is Also still available and the clock is ticking. So, this shrinks the market for Story which makes it better odds for us.

Yanks were gonna roll with Gio for this year, per The NY Post, till their prospects are ready. I think we’re still in a good spot for Story and if we keep Sanchez for a year at 7, so be it.

Lastly, we have a ton of ?s with the starting pitching -
Does Maedea come back to pre injury form?
Is Ryan not as effective now the the league can see his stuff/adjust to him?
Dies Sonny have some left in the tank?
Does Ober avoid a sophomore slump?

if the pitching holds and they get Story and are in contention at the break, they can always trade for a frontline starter then. I’d rather have the position players done first to see if they work. You also get the benefit of your minor leaguers having more experience and maybe be able to fill pitching spots internally or showcase and increase their trade value for the aforementioned frontline break starter acquisition.

[

Last edited:

So, just for kicks and giggles, let's say they're interested in Trevor Story. He's not signing for a year or two. What does that say about their top two prospects if they're willing to to essentially block one or both of them?

So, just for kicks and giggles, let's say they're interested in Trevor Story. He's not signing for a year or two. What does that say about their top two prospects if they're willing to to essentially block one or both of them?
Confidence that we can win now. Royce hasn’t played in 2 years and the last time he played his offense was middling. If he turns out to be a Big Leaguer you can play him at 2nd or trade him - first things first - we need a SS and marquee off-season acquisition yo jack up the fan base - Never Ending Story accomplishes both.

we got lots of this mentality on here 🐣. Embrace the uncertainty y’all

We’ve won the Central 2 out of last 3 seasons, try some optimism it feels good. dare not to be Dour, my former state mates.

Last edited:

I'm not gong to try to make any sense of this. Maybe more moves are coming. I'll say only this for now: Donaldson is a vacuum cleaner at 3rd, and I'll miss that a lot.
What are the odds though that Donaldson will be as "durable" as he was last year?

What are the odds though that Donaldson will be as "durable" as he was last year?
Yup. And give me that $50M so we can send it to Story (hopefully) or someone else

Last edited:

I've also heard Matt Olson's name being thrown around.
He will require a haul. I doubt they will go there given they already have Kierloff/Sano. I have seen them linked to Padres OF'er Wil Myers. However, he appears to be a RH version of Max Kepler at a higher salary so I'm not sure why they want him.

I just heard that if the Twins sign a SS they'll shop Lewis and that the A's might have interest...heard Olson's name involved when that was brought up.

No one of us know how this will end up and what it will look like at the break or at the end of the season, but I for one would rather swing and miss, rather than be passive or only moderately aggressive.

this is a blast 💥

I just heard that if the Twins sign a SS they'll shop Lewis and that the A's might have interest...heard Olson's name involved when that was brought up.
Go big then. Sign Story. Trade Royce Lewis, Urshella, Sano, the pitcher we got from Texas and another one like Winder for Olson, Montas and Manaa.

This is my thought too. Gotta be more going on.
I believe much more going on behind the scenes. We're going to have to let it play out and see what the product is in the end.

While I like Donaldson when healthy. I'd be surprised if he plays half of the season injury free. Another year older isn't doing his legs any favors. Won't be dependable in my opinion. Fleck will miss him as they are neighbors.

I was curious how Sano would handle the lockout and just saw him walking out on the Twins IG, he looks to be in great shape.
Just like Shatner always did in the first 10 episodes of each season before he started eating at the Desilu commissary.

Top Bottom