All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

For an organization that loves stats and analytics, you'd like they'd be able to track down a little data that tells them to pitch rather carefully to Sal Perez.

The starting pitching has been decent, but the bullpen is a mess. Having Alcala out doesn't help.

but, the thing about bullpens is that you can turn them over pretty quickly.

I still think this team is going to hit. They need Buxton to stay healthy and they need Kirilloff to get back. apparently the doctor said there is no new structural damage to the wrist, so it may be something that he just has to learn to live with.

on the plus side, the minor league teams have been playing well, and it seems as if there are some fairly good pitching prospects in the pipeline. I suspect the major league roster might look a lot different in the next couple of years.

I don't expect this monumental ineptitude to continue like this, but keep in mind we do have a new batting coach, so we're by definition in new territory.

We cannot afford three black holes in the offense this year, ala Sano, Kepler and Jeffers. We need one of these guys to be a .250+ hitter or the lineup drags too much.

I was reading an article on ESPN+ about the decline in hitting.

One point - starting this year, all teams are keeping the balls in humidors before games. in the past, the Rockies did this at Coors field, but now all teams are doing it, and there is some thought that it is making the balls less lively. the rate of HR's hit this year is down noticeably compared to previous years.

other factors: starters are working fewer innings, so more bullpen innings, and more use of the slider.

a few excerpts:

Scoring has dropped, and it's almost entirely attributable to one big change from last year. This year's batting average (.234) is identical to last year's through 10 team games. On-base percentage is up .001. But the leaguewide slugging percentage is down from .392 each of the past two years to .380 this season. Accordingly, runs per game have dipped from 4.44 last season to 4.22 this year -- nearly a 5% decrease.........

Since 2015 -- a year in which fastballs made up a massive 56.8% of pitches thrown -- slider usage has jumped from 14.5% of pitches to 21.7% this year.

The slider revolution is a reliever-driven endeavor. This season, bullpen arms are throwing it 26.1% of the time, compared to 17.3% from starters. The one-inning, max-out culture of modern baseball practically invites it -- and the jump among relievers from 21.9% slider usage in teams' first 10 games last season is no accident. Sliders have generated whiffs on 36.3% of swings, higher than the fastball (19.3%), cutter (26.5%), curveball (31.4%) and changeup (33.3%).

I don't expect this monumental ineptitude to continue like this, but keep in mind we do have a new batting coach, so we're by definition in new territory.

At least they have a run today, with 4 innings to go!

One point - starting this year, all teams are keeping the balls in humidors before games. in the past, the Rockies did this at Coors field, but now all teams are doing it, and there is some thought that it is making the balls less lively. the rate of HR's hit this year is down noticeably compared to previous years.

other factors: starters are working fewer innings, so more bullpen innings, and more use of the slider.

a few excerpts:

Scoring has dropped, and it's almost entirely attributable to one big change from last year. This year's batting average (.234) is identical to last year's through 10 team games. On-base percentage is up .001. But the leaguewide slugging percentage is down from .392 each of the past two years to .380 this season. Accordingly, runs per game have dipped from 4.44 last season to 4.22 this year -- nearly a 5% decrease.........

Since 2015 -- a year in which fastballs made up a massive 56.8% of pitches thrown -- slider usage has jumped from 14.5% of pitches to 21.7% this year.

The slider revolution is a reliever-driven endeavor. This season, bullpen arms are throwing it 26.1% of the time, compared to 17.3% from starters. The one-inning, max-out culture of modern baseball practically invites it -- and the jump among relievers from 21.9% slider usage in teams' first 10 games last season is no accident. Sliders have generated whiffs on 36.3% of swings, higher than the fastball (19.3%), cutter (26.5%), curveball (31.4%) and changeup (33.3%).

Txs. If the lack Of O is a trend and not just a bad patch, they’ll have to look at ways to help the offense- maybe limiting how many total pitchers per nine innings, etc…

a few excerpts:

I was thinking that has something to do with it. Starters don't have to go as long either with the expanded rosters early on. More pitchers on the roster means starters can be pulled earlier.

But it appears exit velocity numbers are pretty much where they always are so hitters are still getting good contact. Ball just isn't traveling as far.

Another great start by Joe Ryan. He's already a stud. Still can't believe we got him for 1/2 year of Cruz.

Still no hitting though.
Turns out 1 was enough for the day.

With as little hitting as they did, the 3-4 road trip was rather fortunate.

Sano knows, Chicks dig the sacrifice fly game winner.

Win Twins!!

Another great start by Joe Ryan. He's already a stud. Still can't believe we got him for 1/2 year of Cruz.

Still no hitting though.

He’s turning into our version of Tim Lincencum right before our very eyes.

Very very threat to make the All Star team and Rocco wisely recognized this my anointing him, as such, with the Opening Day assignment.

Also kudos for slotting in Smith as the setup man - give him all of Duffys innings for now and see is Duff can rehab himself so he can become the trusted option before Dugan moving forward when we need one.

Pagan is the man and unlike last year, our pitching should keep us in most games this year and just hope the hitting sorts itself out ASAP and we don’t smoke the ball up the middle again twice to lead to 2 DPs

He’s turning into our version of Tim Lincencum right before our very eyes.

Very very threat to make the All Star team and Rocco wisely recognized this my anointing him, as such, with the Opening Day assignment.

Also kudos for slotting in Smith as the setup man - give him all of Duffys innings for now and see is Duff can rehab himself so he can become the trusted option before Dugan moving forward when we need one.

Pagan is the man and unlike last year, our pitching should keep us in most games this year and just hope the hitting sorts itself out ASAP and we don’t smoke the ball up the middle again twice to lead to 2 DPs
I would give Duffey a few opportunities in blowouts (non pressure situations). Unfortunately I think his stuff is done. If I had to guess right now, they'll find a phantom injury and put him on the IL for awhile to see if he can figure things out.

I would give Duffey a few opportunities in blowouts (non pressure situations). Unfortunately I think his stuff is done. If I had to guess right now, they'll find a phantom injury and put him on the IL for awhile to see if he can figure things out.

I think we’re on the same track, as well still need someone for the 6th inning- I like Duhan, Smith and Pagan for the 7th inning on and if he’s done, they can find someone else for the 6th.

Last edited:

and the White Sux have been losing. With the Twins now having a chance to extend that.

Well, of course they can't shut down the offensive juggernaut Sano all season..............

on the bullpen - I am in the camp that says you should use your best reliever when the game is on the line - which may be in the 6th or 7th inning. The idea that "you can't put the closer in the game before the 9th inning" just doesn't fly. If Duran is your best reliever, then use him when it matters.

Don't pitch for the save - pitch for the win.

on the bullpen - I am in the camp that says you should use your best reliever when the game is on the line - which may be in the 6th or 7th inning. The idea that "you can't put the closer in the game before the 9th inning" just doesn't fly. If Duran is your best reliever, then use him when it matters.

Yep. Duran pitched the 7th today against their 2-3-4 hitters. Much more important than the 8th in this situation.

Counterpoint - pitchers love their routines and they like to know generally when their assignment/inning(s) are gonna be to prep mentally for it. I like that guys know what their general roles are

Top Bottom