All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Half game out of first place. I doubt the pitching stays this good, but if the bats can continue to produce like today, they're back in business.
Bundy/Archer will both regress a good amount. But they've gotten basically zero out of Gray and not much out of Paddock, so those should offset. Ryan is the real deal and I think Ober is legit.

If they can get Correa going, this team can score some runs.

and Kepler and Sano will each have their two-week stretch during the season where they get hot.

BTW, in response to an earlier post, looks like Austin Martin is playing a lot of 2B now in the minors. I think the feeling is that he is not a SS. But, a potential infield of Miranda, Lewis, Martin and Kirilloff could be pretty solid.

Sano and Kepler continue to struggle and should see some of their playing time taken away IMO. Miranda has played a few games at 1B at ST Paul but not a lot. Would like to see him get more time over there as he could easily play there for the Twins a little bit. I don’t get why Lewis and Martin both continue to play SS. Both could get an opportunity to play OF if Kepler continues to struggle and Kirilloff plays a lot of 1B because Sano stinks.

Without a primary DH like Cruz you can work in a lot of guys.
When Kiriloff comes back, they need to either invent an injury for Sano or just DFA him and be done with it.

OK, for the people in the know. Yes, I know it is still not warm weather, but was the batting coach 3 years ago that important? They were the 1st team ever to 300 HRs in a season had very good avg, checked all the boxes, and it seems the last couple years are not near that form. A few bright spots, but that's it.
Perhaps it's due to changing the hitting coach. Perhaps they were doing some of the stuff the Astros were busted for, just a little more covertly.

Rosario, Cruz & Garver were responsible for a lot of the production are gone. Kepler & Sano are diminished, and what you see is what you get.

Bundy/Archer will both regress a good amount. But they've gotten basically zero out of Gray and not much out of Paddock, so those should offset. Ryan is the real deal and I think Ober is legit.

Noted and bookmarked under Howie’s insane and hates underdogs and reclamation projects/Derek Falvey

If they can get Correa going, this team can score some runs.

and Kepler and Sano will each have their two-week stretch during the season where they get hot.

BTW, in response to an earlier post, looks like Austin Martin is playing a lot of 2B now in the minors. I think the feeling is that he is not a SS. But, a potential infield of Miranda, Lewis, Martin and Kirilloff could be pretty solid.

Correa will hit -he’s twice finished in the Top 5 MVP voting,

His defense is mind boggling good and has already impacted several games this year - he gives guys like Bundy confidence to pound the zone because they know how good he is and how much better it makes the overall D. We’re ranked 17 and the Sox dead last - https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/errors-per-game

We’re also 14 in walks allowed -

My prediction is we finish in the Top 10 in both categories and win the division going away by 4+ games - playing sound fundamental baseball covers up a lot and most nights gives the club a chance.

Being a Bomba Bro is much sexier, but good pitching always trumps good O and this fundie approach is much more like TK era IMO and we all know that method works. Additionally being in close ones and winning them builds team confidence.

Last edited:

Perhaps it's due to changing the hitting coach. Perhaps they were doing some of the stuff the Astros were busted for, just a little more covertly.

Rosario, Cruz & Garver were responsible for a lot of the production are gone. Kepler & Sano are diminished, and what you see is what you get.
I did have Nelson in my mind when I wrote that but forgot to mention him. Yes, he was a beast and did make a lot of that happen. As did Rosario, and Garver. So, it makes sense.
I still can't get over the Twinkies were the 1st to 300, not the Stankees, or any others.

Congrats Miggy on his 3K knock- only 33rd in MLB history and only the 5th all time with 300 ave, 300 Hrs and 300o hits, joining -

Aaron
Mays
Musial
Brett

maybe the best RH hitter of his era, but you can make that case for Albert as well,
And he is beloved by all the players - great guy.

That’s his third to left this year - if he sticks with it all season he’ll hit better than .230 this year
I hate to admit it, but .230 wouldn't be bad for him. I wish .250-.260, but either way he needs to be a bigger force offensively.

I hate to admit it, but .230 wouldn't be bad for him. I wish .250-.260, but either way he needs to be a bigger force offensively.
This is the first time I can ever remember him deliberately going with the pitch instead of pulling it for a groundout. I’m cautiously optimistic.

Buxton and Sano on base at the same time. I can probably count on 1 finger how many times that's happened.

That fact that Morneau thought the twins should giving sano a green light 3-0 in the 10th is just a terrible take for the color commentator.
I actually agreed with him. It was a pretty good swing.

Justin also thought they should just put Buxton on. We were saying the same thing at our house.

Buxton homering 1 out of every 6 at bats this season. Crazy to think that twins were contemplating trading him this winter.

Take away Buxton and Arreaz and the Twins are batting a feeble .190

Its hard to imagine that they have won 9 games.

Take away Buxton and Arreaz and the Twins are batting a feeble .190

Its hard to imagine that they have won 9 games.

Good pitching and excellent defense always gives you a chance.

The ancillary benefit is playing all these close games and winning them helps build confidence and grit and when the O kicks in, watch out, we'll be cooking with gas!

Last edited:

Top Bottom