All Things 2022-2023 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

The worst thing the twins could do is just spend stupid money on Swanson and Rodin for the only reason that they didn’t sign Correa. To me stupid money contracts on these two would set the franchise back more than if they had signed Correa.

The thing about the Correa contract is if you were gonna do 10/285 why not go 13/350. The fact you are paying Correa $27milliion in his age 39/40/41 season should make no difference given how big revenue and will grow and contracts will grow. Plus if he were around in 2033 that would mean the front office was in like year 19 of being employed here. If that were the case there would have to be at least a couple of World Series titles between now and the. As mentioned offering 10/285 is not in good faith when you knew it was gonna take over 300 to sign Correa. I wanna but the 900k house down the street but offering them 700k for it ain’t gonna get it done and both sides know that. It’s just a waste of time.

Twins have now missed basically all their targets outside of a 31 year old catcher. They are $50million under last years payroll and have no one to give the money to outside of Swanson. It’s getting real real quick for the patient, dumpster diving front office.

Twins have now missed basically all their targets outside of a 31 year old catcher. They are $50million under last years payroll and have no one to give the money to outside of Swanson. It’s getting real real quick for the patient, dumpster diving front office.
At this point they might as well trade Gray and Kepler and just play all the young guys. Get Brooks Lee up by mid season.

What a major let down.

At this point they might as well trade Gray and Kepler and just play all the young guys. Get Brooks Lee up by mid season.

What a major let down.
Don’t stop there trade Maeda and anyone else on a 1 year contract. It’s gonna get bad quick at target field. Honestly you might as well move Polonco too.

Ironically, the TV ratings are semi irrelevant. The networks (local and national) are dying for summer broadcast content. There are no other live sporting events other than golf and soccer between the NBA Finals and the start of the NFL regular season. MLB is the only one of the big four that has broadcast rights all to itself for three months of the year. That's why baseball gets such big TV deals.
Somewhat but it still matters. Sinclaire/Bally's is losing their @ss. They aren't going to go from $20 million a year to $60 million and I doubt someone like AT&T is going to com into the market just for the Twins. And if their plan is to launch their own streaming app, then every subscriber matters.

What a major let down.
Kepler should probably be traded regardless.

But if you're trading Gray, you might as well trade Mahle, Maeda, Polanco, Lopez and Arreaz too and just gut the team and start over. In that case Falvey should be out with them.

I don't think they realize just how bad. They are in the worst state they've been as a franchise since 2000. Good luck taking the reins, Joe. Maybe sell the team while the value's still high.
Fans are going to go from anger to apathy and that’s not a good thing. Just ask gopher men’s basketball about apathy or the twolves and how difficult it is to get “fans” back.

Fans are going to go from anger to apathy and that’s not a good thing. Just ask gopher men’s basketball about apathy or the twolves and how difficult it is to get “fans” back.
Yep. Sad times to be a Twins and Gopher basketball fan. At least the TWolves have always been a joke, so there's no good old days to miss.

The worst thing the twins could do is just spend stupid money on Swanson and Rodin for the only reason that they didn’t sign Correa. To me stupid money contracts on these two would set the franchise back more than if they had signed Correa.

The thing about the Correa contract is if you were gonna do 10/285 why not go 13/350. The fact you are paying Correa $27milliion in his age 39/40/41 season should make no difference given how big revenue and will grow and contracts will grow. Plus if he were around in 2033 that would mean the front office was in like year 19 of being employed here. If that were the case there would have to be at least a couple of World Series titles between now and the. As mentioned offering 10/285 is not in good faith when you knew it was gonna take over 300 to sign Correa. I wanna but the 900k house down the street but offering them 700k for it ain’t gonna get it done and both sides know that. It’s just a waste of time.
Because 3 more years and $65M is substantially more, and quite frankly idiotic to pay someone who will be a 38-41 year utility player.

The deal they offered was fair and the best one on a per season basis.

Revenue might explode especially as in game wagering becomes prevalent. It might not.

Because 3 more years and $65M is substantially more, and quite frankly idiotic to pay someone who will be a 38-41 year utility player.

Revenue might explode especially as in game wagering becomes prevalent. It might not.
When you look out 10 years from now and what $26 million gets you for a player it will be a Dylan Bundy type. The twins had a payroll of $100million 10 years ago. In another 10 years their payroll should be at least $200million.

The offer might have been “fair” the only problem was it was not anywhere near enough money or enough years so here they sit. No shortstop, no pitching help, traded away their staring 3rd basemen, and a center fielder that is hurt all the time. Oh yeah and they still have Pagan on the team. Play Ball on their way to 70 wins.

Kepler should probably be traded regardless.

But if you're trading Gray, you might as well trade Mahle, Maeda, Polanco, Lopez and Arreaz too and just gut the team and start over. In that case Falvey should be out with them.
This. WTF is the difference between 70 wins and 50? Neither is getting you anywhere. There are plenty of teams looking for pitching- sell now before they all get hurt again and they are no longer worth anything. Trade Pagan for a bag of peanuts.

There's no such thing as "fair." It's only fair market value and the Twins didn't come close. I'm sure that it took Correa and Boras about half a millisecond to see through the "benefit" of the Twins highest per season offer. There was one number to meet or beat and they tried to get cute. To use Correa's analogy, the Twins walked into the Dior store with their Target credit card and walked out empty handed.

There's no such thing as "fair." It's only fair market value and the Twins didn't come close. I'm sure that it took Correa and Boras about half a millisecond to see through the "benefit" of the Twins highest per season offer. There was one number to meet or beat and they tried to get cute. To use Correa's analogy, the Twins walked into the Dior store with their Target credit card and walked out empty handed.
He wanted the to beat Lindor‘s $341M deal

If the Twins had been serious and creative about about signing Correa they could have offered him $325M-$350M over ten years with a one time player opt out after five years. If Correa is still productive and motivated at age 38 he could go get one more contract for $10M-$15M per year and make close to $400M over the same time frame as Correa's deal with the Giants. The Twins are on the hook for less time, Correa is guaranteed the same kind of money and they have him for five years no matter what. A winner all the way around.

It was the usual, "We really tried." when it was over.

I'm currently re-reading a book called "The Glory of their Times." it's a collection of interviews with people who played Major League Baseball back in the early 1900's up through the '20s and '30s.

tremendous book. just great stories about what it was like to be a ballplayer in that era. some amazing characters and antics.

But I bring it up because a lot of the players talked about money issues - fighting with owners over amounts like $1,800. or jumping from one team to another for a $500 bonus.

if those players could come back and look at the money in today's game, they wouldn't believe it.

I like how they're now floating signing Justin Turner for 3B and to "provide leadership." You had Urshela under team control for $9 million and now you want to spend probably nearly double that on a 38 year old who plays the same position. Utter incompetence by Falvey.

I like how they're now floating signing Justin Turner for 3B and to "provide leadership." You had Urshela under team control for $9 million and now you want to spend probably nearly double that on a 38 year old who plays the same position. Utter incompetence by Falvey.
I'll never understand getting rid of urshela

But dont worry everyone, we now have Gallo and his .160 average on the squad! What a joke of an offseason. Just typical thought of the Pohlad regime, sign the cheapest guys possible who had 1 good year like 8 years ago.

I do like the Gallo signing. It certainly doesn't make up for the other failures however.

At this point what the hell difference does it make. It’s $11 million for 1 year. They gotta spend the money somehow so might as well sign 5-6 guys to 1 year deals and get that payroll up to $130 million just to make it appear they are trying to remain competitive.

Top Bottom