All Things 2022-2023 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

It was him or nothing. This off-season is a steaming pile of dog crap. 21 million for a catcher and a perpetual strikeout. Whoopee!
I'm not defending the front office. They're inept and i want them fired. But locking into Dansby Swanson for 7 years wouldn't make that better.

They should have kept Urshela and they could play Arreaz at 2B and Polanco at SS.

Maybe? From what it could have been this off season has been a massive disappointment. I just don’t get the Gallo signing given how the roster is constructed. I mean I know it’s early but I’m skeptical they are going to filed a more competitive team in 2023 than they did in 2022. If they have the same injury issues they had in 2022 again in 2023 this is a 65 win team.
Brooks Lee is gonna grab SS by the nards and show the F out

I'm not defending the front office. They're inept and i want them fired. But locking into Dansby Swanson for 7 years wouldn't make that better.

They should have kept Urshela and they could play Arreaz at 2B and Polanco at SS.
I suspect they traded Urshela to save $, figuring Correa at SS would cover up some of Miranda's defensive deficiencies.

Reusse: Among many concerns over Twins' offseason, Carlos Correa's departure isn't one

What Gallo's arrival does do for certain is mark the end of Kepler's time in Minnesota. Max was tremendous as a recently as 2019.

Then, starting at age 27, he became Max Kerplunk. And now that the ban of drastic infield shifts arrives in 2023, giving devoted, lefty-pull hitters such as Max a chance to pick up an extra 20 hits, he's going to be traded.

All those full-time Twins critics offering past comments on media outlets suggesting "Miguel Sano will leave here and become another David Ortiz" can take encouragement over this:

Kepler's new team could have a staff that can get Max interested enough in baseball to discover left field, hang in against lefties, and again take advantage of that outstanding athletic ability.

Finally: Why no dwelling on the Carlos Correa drama?

Because when it came to the Twins, there was none. No matter the bull-slinging from various parties (especially Carlos), if Correa remained free of major injury, it was always going to be a one-year stay in Minnesota.

Always — as in 100% chance the shortstop was gone for 2023. Which is OK, since the Twins have Kyle Farmer.

Win Twins!!

on Gallo - he is considered to be an above-average fielder. I could see him in some kind of platoon or rotation where he sees time at all three outfield positions, 1B or DH.

his batting average will hopefully be helped by the elimination of the shift.

the question is what next? the Twins now have too many left-handed hitting OF's. Someone has to go. Kepler is the best bet, but he might not be the only one.

and what does this mean for Wallner? I like Wallner as a prospect, so I hope this doesn't take away his opportunities.

on Gallo - he is considered to be an above-average fielder. I could see him in some kind of platoon or rotation where he sees time at all three outfield positions, 1B or DH.

his batting average will hopefully be helped by the elimination of the shift.

the question is what next? the Twins now have too many left-handed hitting OF's. Someone has to go. Kepler is the best bet, but he might not be the only one.

and what does this mean for Wallner? I like Wallner as a prospect, so I hope this doesn't take away his opportunities.
I can't imagine the elimination of the shift making that big of a difference with a .180 hitter.

It's fair to beat on Kepler for not improving on his 2019 career year. Player development has been such a feather in the cap of the front office and the dugout. Look at how every member of that roster has gotten incrementally better year after year

I'm not sure why people continue to complain about Urshela. He was the stop gap until Miranda became the every day 3B, which he is now. If they keep Arraez, his only real position is 1B or DH. That doesn't leave much room for Urshela.
You’re also assuming everybody stays healthy, which for the Twins is an incredibly small chance. There was plenty of AB’s for Gio, especially given Rocco’s obsessive compulsion to sit guys on a regular basis. Add in Miranda’s a bit of a liability at 3B, and Gio at 9mil is a much better proposition than whatever garbage the Twins trot out in July when injuries start to pile up.

When they’re inevitably out of the race at the trade deadline, Gio also has some value to flip, so the risk is extremely small to keep him around.

I can't imagine the elimination of the shift making that big of a difference with a .180 hitter.

hey, just repeating what I see people saying online. according to the number-crunchers, some of the batters who have been hurt worst by the shift are left-handed pull hitters. having the 2B play in a shallow RF takes a lot of hits away from those type of hitters - guys like Gallo and Kepler.

I found a long article on a site called "The Analyst.com" that really goes into who was helped and hurt by the shift.

according to the article - of all MLB hitters, Kepler was 2nd in hits lost due to shifting. they say that if all those hits had fallen in, his batting average could have been 40-points higher.

and - also interesting - the Twins defensively were 2nd in 'hits prevented' by the shift - meaning that Twins pitchers have benefitted from shifting.

it could be a more significant change than people are realizing.

hey, just repeating what I see people saying online. according to the number-crunchers, some of the batters who have been hurt worst by the shift are left-handed pull hitters. having the 2B play in a shallow RF takes a lot of hits away from those type of hitters - guys like Gallo and Kepler.

I found a long article on a site called "The Analyst.com" that really goes into who was helped and hurt by the shift.

according to the article - of all MLB hitters, Kepler was 2nd in hits lost due to shifting. they say that if all those hits had fallen in, his batting average could have been 40-points higher.

and - also interesting - the Twins defensively were 2nd in 'hits prevented' by the shift - meaning that Twins pitchers have benefitted from shifting.

it could be a more significant change than people are realizing.
I heard Gleeman on Danny B. last week talk about this. He mentioned about 7 extra hits expected for guys like Kepler. Not sure where he got his numbers.

Speaking of Kepler. I would much rather keep him than sign Gallo.

Twins were reportedly interested in Justin Turner, but he just signed with Boston.
Also reportedly interested in AJ Pollock. They're just itching to go dumpster diving.

What is your comment about him being moved based on?
Most scouting reports believe he'll be moved.

That physicality will mean he’s very likely to move off of shortstop at the next level, with third the most likely destination to take advantage of his above-average arm. As the son of a coach, he thinks like one on the field and plays like a veteran, giving more certainty that he’s going to maximize all of his tools as a pro.

Most scouting reports believe he'll be moved.

Time will tell - without Royce’s injury sure, I can see Royce at 2nd with Lee and Miranda holding down the left side, leaving Julien as the infield utility player

FWIW - MLB has him listed as the 10 best SS prospect and 32bd overall. If they’re going to move him, then wouldn’t it make sense for that to happen this year at some point?

Time will tell - without Royce’s injury sure, I can see Royce at 2nd with Lee and Miranda holding down the left side, leaving Julien as the infield utility player

FWIW - MLB has him listed as the 10 best SS prospect and 32bd overall. If they’re going to move him, then wouldn’t it make sense for that to happen this year at some point?
For sure. It's not a done deal by any means. Many just feel Royce will be the better SS. My guess is he'll get some time at 3B this year.

For sure. It's not a done deal by any means. Many just feel Royce will be the better SS. My guess is he'll get some time at 3B this year.
With Wallner and the above I’m excited and hoping either Larnach or AK can get on a healthy streak and leave the injury bug behind- odds are both won’t make it

It really wasn't fair. The purpose of a deal should be to sign the player and the Twins offered someone way below the rate another team was going to sign.

IMO, the offer was entirely PR so we could pretend we tried. With that offer, we had no intention of signing him.
But the "rate" wasn't lower on an annual basis. Plus less State Income Tax in Minnesota compared to California

It's boarder line crazy to sign a 28 yr old to a 10 year deal. At most could expect 6 or 7 seasons of high end production. 13 years is flat out insane.

There's no such thing as "fair." It's only fair market value and the Twins didn't come close. I'm sure that it took Correa and Boras about half a millisecond to see through the "benefit" of the Twins highest per season offer. There was one number to meet or beat and they tried to get cute. To use Correa's analogy, the Twins walked into the Dior store with their Target credit card and walked out empty handed.
That Dior item will be completely out of fashion in 2032 and might be something as valuable as one can find in Target or Goodwill.

Now that the dust has settled with the top FA's, is anyone really disappointed we didn't give one of them more years or more money than what they received?

I'm not.

Now that the dust has settled with the top FA's, is anyone really disappointed we didn't give one of them more years or more money than what they received?

I'm not.
Who cares about the money or the years? There's no salary cap, they are not taking any money away from all the great prospects they're going to need to sign down the line. Just kidding, they're not going to have to pay anyone that achieves greatness, they're going to trade them before they have to pay them. The only positive is that this team will likely be a pile of garbage and they'll be forced to can the clueless front office and the timid little mouse in the dugout.

Who cares about the money or the years? There's no salary cap, they are not taking any money away from all the great prospects they're going to need to sign down the line. Just kidding, they're not going to have to pay anyone that achieves greatness, they're going to trade them before they have to pay them. The only positive is that this team will likely be a pile of garbage and they'll be forced to can the clueless front office and the timid little mouse in the dugout.

When has this burned them in the past? How many of these long term deals have worked out for the teams who signed them?

When has this burned them in the past? How many of these long term deals have worked out for the teams who signed them?
You are hoping the work out in the front of the contract cause yes the back ends of these deals are usually terrible.

In fairness the twins have never signed anyone to this kinds of contracts before so not sure it has ever burned them before. Joe Mauers contract was not an issue for the twins. Plus I can only imagine the fans grumblings if they had let a MVP, 5x silver slugger, 3x gold glove, 3x batting champion catcher from Saint Paul leave as a free agent at the age of 27

all that matters is getting rid of the front office and manager

You are hoping the work out in the front of the contract cause yes the back ends of these deals are usually terrible.

In fairness the twins have never signed anyone to this kinds of contracts before so not sure it has ever burned them before. Joe Mauers contract was not an issue for the twins. Plus I can only imagine the fans grumblings if they had let a MVP, 5x silver slugger, 3x gold glove, 3x batting champion catcher from Saint Paul leave as a free agent at the age of 27

And after a few years many, if not the majority, of Twins fans were complaining about that contract because Mauer couldn't stay healthy and didn't hit for power and he 'wasn't worth the money'.

How many of the recent World Series champions have bought their way to a championship? Virtually none of them. They're all built from within. Houston let Correa walk and won it the next year. Even the Dodgers are built mostly from within. The Yankees haven't won a World Series or even been to one in 13 years.

If the Twins are going to win, they're going to do it by building from within and making a few smart trades, not overpaying for FA's.

But the "rate" wasn't lower on an annual basis. Plus less State Income Tax in Minnesota compared to California

It's boarder line crazy to sign a 28 yr old to a 10 year deal. At most could expect 6 or 7 seasons of high end production. 13 years is flat out insane.
That's fine if we didn't want to pay Correa but we all knew that is what it was going to take. My issue isn't with going another direction, my issue is that I believe our attempt at Correa was fake, a PR stunt. Because we didn't really want to pay market rates for Correa, we are now stuck with the worst possible option at SS.

I think Howie said it, but I'd have much preferred Urshela - Polanco - Arraez to what we have now.

Top Bottom