All Things 2022-2023 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

Because 3 more years and $65M is substantially more, and quite frankly idiotic to pay someone who will be a 38-41 year utility player.

The deal they offered was fair and the best one on a per season basis.

Revenue might explode especially as in game wagering becomes prevalent. It might not.
It really wasn't fair. The purpose of a deal should be to sign the player and the Twins offered someone way below the rate another team was going to sign.

IMO, the offer was entirely PR so we could pretend we tried. With that offer, we had no intention of signing him.

This is an amazing piece of satire if only it wasn’t so true.

It really wasn't fair. The purpose of a deal should be to sign the player and the Twins offered someone way below the rate another team was going to sign.

IMO, the offer was entirely PR so we could pretend we tried. With that offer, we had no intention of signing him.
Have to disagree on this one based on what little I know. The offer that the Twins gave along with the Giants are very high in my opinion. I do wish though that there was a salary cap of sorts. Perhaps though the west coast teams along with the east coast teams would never agree to it.

So the brain trust determined with Sano no longer on the team they needed somebody to strike out at an absurd rate to take his place? Gallo k’d 153 times in 350ab’s with a .160 average in 2022. Woof. IF (big if) he can bang 40hr’s again it becomes a moderately bad signing, not an epic shitshow like it appears now. I wish I was the Pohlads and had $11million dollars to light on fire, because that’s about what this is.

Just shut it down now and save this fan base the embarrassment. What the F is the point of this signing? It’s not going to make them a playoff team, so just save your damn money and spend it next year or the year after. But nope, they feel the need to spend money on crap players to make it seem like they’re actually trying.

So the brain trust determined with Sano no longer on the team they needed somebody to strike out at an absurd rate to take his place? Gallo k’d 153 times in 350ab’s with a .160 average in 2022. Woof. IF (big if) he can bang 40hr’s again it becomes a moderately bad signing, not an epic shitshow like it appears now. I wish I was the Pohlads and had $11million dollars to light on fire, because that’s about what this is.

Just shut it down now and save this fan base the embarrassment. What the F is the point of this signing? It’s not going to make them a playoff team, so just save your damn money and spend it next year or the year after. But nope, they feel the need to spend money on crap players to make it seem like they’re actually trying.
Minnesota sports. Ain’t it great 😎

I'd rather roll the dice on Gallo than continue to watch Kepler struggle. Gallo is slightly younger. Fielding wise, they are a wash. Gallo's avg will likely improve due to the shift ban and he has power that Kepler doesn't have. Gallo has also been an all-star twice in the last 4 years.

Gallo was traded away from a first-place team at the trade deadline last year for a prospect. How often does that happen? This was nothing more than a panic buy. Gotta get someone and casual fans might have heard of him.

Gallo was traded away from a first-place team at the trade deadline last year for a prospect. How often does that happen? This was nothing more than a panic buy. Gotta get someone and casual fans might have heard of him.

He was also traded to a first place team

He was so valuable to them that he played a whole half inning in their playoff series as a defensive replacement. Never even stepped up to the plate. Guy's a bum, but totally on brand as the standard Twinkie reclamation project.

How much do you think Kepler would play for the Yankees or Dodgers? Not much. I'll take his power potential over Kepler any day.

How much do you think Kepler would play for the Yankees or Dodgers? Not much. I'll take his power potential over Kepler any day.
If they get something decent for Kepler, it's not terrible. But a .160 all or nothing hitter isn't what offense needs. I'd much rather have Abreu for $20 million or Urshela for $9 than Gallo for $11.

If they get something decent for Kepler, it's not terrible. But a .160 all or nothing hitter isn't what offense needs. I'd much rather have Abreu for $20 million or Urshela for $9 than Gallo for $11.

Average wise he's not great, but like I said earlier the ban of the shift will likely help that. On base percentage is more important, and his career OBP% is higher than Kepler, Urshela, and much higher than Byron Buxton. On a one year deal, it doesn't really matter if Gallo is making 11 million or 8 million.

I'm not sure why people continue to complain about Urshela. He was the stop gap until Miranda became the every day 3B, which he is now. If they keep Arraez, his only real position is 1B or DH. That doesn't leave much room for Urshela.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Dodgers offer a mid level prospect for Kepler.

And I'd take it. Kepler would just become their 4th or 5th outfielder, just like Gallo was.
They would give him a legit shot since there is a big need for help in the OF. Once he goes 3 for 25... to the bench he goes.

I would like it for the Twins and hate it for the Dodgers.

Average wise he's not great, but like I said earlier the ban of the shift will likely help that. On base percentage is more important, and his career OBP% is higher than Kepler, Urshela, and much higher than Byron Buxton. On a one year deal, it doesn't really matter if Gallo is making 11 million or 8 million.

I'm not sure why people continue to complain about Urshela. He was the stop gap until Miranda became the every day 3B, which he is now. If they keep Arraez, his only real position is 1B or DH. That doesn't leave much room for Urshela.
Who's the DH? No reason they couldn't share 3B/DH. Miranda's not exactly a gold glover at 3B.

Hopefully only for half a season
Maybe? From what it could have been this off season has been a massive disappointment. I just don’t get the Gallo signing given how the roster is constructed. I mean I know it’s early but I’m skeptical they are going to filed a more competitive team in 2023 than they did in 2022. If they have the same injury issues they had in 2022 again in 2023 this is a 65 win team.

I get it. But I don't want Dansby Swanson if you have to commit 6 + years to him.
It was him or nothing. This off-season is a steaming pile of dog crap. 21 million for a catcher and a perpetual strikeout. Whoopee!

Top Bottom