All Things 2022-2023 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

That’s an insane contract for Correa
Apparently the Twins offered 10 years at $285M which is more per year but less overall.

I really don't know what to think now. I think the starting staff is solid at this point (assuming Maeda comes back). But hitting wise we're probably going to be terrible again. Making a run at Rodon would beef up the staff even more. But can we still add a good bat or two? Probably trade is the best option but don't know who that is.

Still a lot of offseason left so we'll have to see. But this is disappointing to say the least.

That's staggering. The Twins were bought in 1984 for around $32M, which is less than what Correa made in 2022.

The contract will be more than 10X what the Carl Pohlad paid. Even adjusting for inflation it's more than 3X, close to 4.

Of course the franchise is worth an estimated $1.4B and could probably fetch nearly $2B on the market.

Apparently the Twins offered 10 years at $285M which is more per year but less overall.

I really don't know what to think now. I think the starting staff is solid at this point (assuming Maeda comes back). But hitting wise we're probably going to be terrible again. Making a run at Rodon would beef up the staff even more. But can we still add a good bat or two? Probably trade is the best option but don't know who that is.

Still a lot of offseason left so we'll have to see. But this is disappointing to say the least.
It was a token offer by the Twins, they knew the market and that annual compensation would pale compare to offered years. They needed to be closer 320 if they only wanted to do nine years. We have a bunch of glorified utility, AAAA types, but no starting caliber corner outfielders, DH, SS and first base. We are hitching wagon to too many injured starting pitchers, our bull pen stinks and our center fielder o/u for games starting in center will be about 60. This team will be lucky to win 70 games next year

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don’t make. I’d feel better about us losing Correra if I had confidence in this front office that we’d still address our glaring needs. Unless something changes in the next 2-3 months, Target Field will be a morgue again.

Win Twins!!

The problem I have is the twins went all the way out to $285 and 10 years. They had to know that was not going to get it done, so why sit around and wait for the decision you knew was coming. They should have made the offer and moved on. Ultimately they went way into deep water for them and were still woefully short on dollars and years.

The Twins let Borris and Correa dictate their off season plan and now have to scramble to pick up the pieces. I am not sure over paying for Swanson is worth it as even his career year last year is not great and less than Correa.

The problem I have is the twins went all the way out to $285 and 10 years. They had to know that was not going to get it done, so why sit around and wait for the decision you knew was coming. They should have made the offer and moved on. Ultimately they went way into deep water for them and were still woefully short on dollars and years.

The Twins let Borris and Correa dictate their off season plan and now have to scramble to pick up the pieces. I am not sure over paying for Swanson is worth it as even his career year last year is not great and less than Correa.
I'm not sure they are really in scramble mode. I am resigned to thinking even if they had signed Correa they were not going to contend for the AL Central in 2023.

Correra wanted to beat Lindor’s $341M contract and after what Trea & Xander wrangled, it was doable.

Maybe charge hard at Swanson as he can be had for a more reasonable sum, maybe $20M a rear and his last season was legit, was better than Correra’s, although he may not be interested or the Cubs/Dodgers may prevail.

MLB network was talking about how the offseason has changed and December is for free agents and Jan for trades

It was a token offer by the Twins, they knew the market and that annual compensation would pale compare to offered years. They needed to be closer 320 if they only wanted to do nine years. We have a bunch of glorified utility, AAAA types, but no starting caliber corner outfielders, DH, SS and first base. We are hitching wagon to too many injured starting pitchers, our bull pen stinks and our center fielder o/u for games starting in center will be about 60. This team will be lucky to win 70 games next year
Hope Springs Eternal!

Wondering if people here feel that Urshela was traded for the sole purpose freeing up money for Correa this year or if they just wanted to have a spot for Miranda. All is know is right now he would be the 2nd or 3rd best player on the twins line-up.

There's definitely some truth to this.
It's only half true. On the surface what he said is true in most cases, but the Twins can only thank themselves for that perception, as they've confirmed it time and time again.

I think most people would say what Correa got was a stupid contract, and I have zero problems with the Twins not signing him. But we knew from the get-go that they weren't going to pony up what it was going to take to get him on the open market. So the Twins are either too incompetent or naïve to think they had a chance and spent their time spinning their wheels. Or did they merely offer a contract they knew wouldn't cut it purely for optics? At which point I would say, spend less time trying to make yourself look good and more time trying to create a less shitty team.

But Reusse and his pandering to the Twins and how they can do no wrong gets annoying, considering how he goes out of his way to hammer anything Gophers.

I didn't want him anyway, but it's just sold old and tiresome at this point. The vast majority of what they do errs on the side of caution. Don't crack open up the piggybank, you might get saddled with a bad contract. Don't steal bases, you might get thrown out. Take days off during the season, just in case it might be beneficial down the stretch. Don't throw too many pitches, you might get hurt. Don't trade prospects at the deadline, they might end up being good.
Boooorrrrrrrrrr-Ringgggggg!

Wondering if people here feel that Urshela was traded for the sole purpose freeing up money for Correa this year or if they just wanted to have a spot for Miranda. All is know is right now he would be the 2nd or 3rd best player on the twins line-up.
Probably both. But I would put him at a minimum 5th. Buxton, Arraez, Polonco and Miranda are all better.

I still think it was the right move.

I didn't want him anyway, but it's just sold old and tiresome at this point. The vast majority of what they do errs on the side of caution. Don't crack open up the piggybank, you might get saddled with a bad contract. Don't steal bases, you might get thrown out. Take days off during the season, just in case it might be beneficial down the stretch. Don't throw too many pitches, you might get hurt. Don't trade prospects at the deadline, they might end up being good.

This.

Win Twins!!

Gio (especially at his salary) makes this team better. By all accounts he was a good leader, and didn't wilt in high-pressure situations. Miranda can platoon between 3B/1B/DH. Add in inevitable injuries, and there was enough playing time to go around. Unless this is a move as part of a bigger plan, call me skeptical it wasn't done for salary purposes. Which is fine if that's the route they're going. Play the young guys, save money and admit you'll be worse this year. But when you have a window to win, you then actually have to pony up and sign some guys to actually compete.

It's only half true. On the surface what he said is true in most cases, but the Twins can only thank themselves for that perception, as they've confirmed it time and time again.

I think most people would say what Correa got was a stupid contract, and I have zero problems with the Twins not signing him. But we knew from the get-go that they weren't going to pony up what it was going to take to get him on the open market. So the Twins are either too incompetent or naïve to think they had a chance and spent their time spinning their wheels. Or did they merely offer a contract they knew wouldn't cut it purely for optics? At which point I would say, spend less time trying to make yourself look good and more time trying to create a less shitty team.

But Reusse and his pandering to the Twins and how they can do no wrong gets annoying, considering how he goes out of his way to hammer anything Gophers.
People said the same thing about Donaldson but were able to sign him. I don't think it was a situation where they had no chance at Correa. Yes they're going to be more conservative generally but 10 years for $285M is still a massive commitment.

People said the same thing about Donaldson but were able to sign him. I don't think it was a situation where they had no chance at Correa. Yes they're going to be more conservative generally but 10 years for $285M is still a massive commitment.
You are 100% correct. The problem is that it was done while he was a free agent. If they offered him that while he was under contract, I'd say that's a fair deal and they could have maybe gotten him for that (if it's true that he really did like it here). But as a FA, Boras was 100% telling the Twins what he was going to get elsewhere, in a bid to get an even bigger deal. So look at what he got and what the Twins offered. There's no way Correa is turning down a 13 year deal, even if it's for less money per season. When his 10-year contract with the Twins would be up, he'd be 38 years old and not able to command anywhere near the money that he's getting on his 13-year deal per year, and so he'd be leaving money on the table.

My point being that virtually any offer less than he got with the Giants is basically theater. The Twins knew what he was getting and still offered an inferior contract. Which again, I have no problems with them not beating it. But it's still annoying that they feel the need to save face and act like they had a shot.

The only massive contract the Twins have really given out was Mauer, and fans still wrongfully complained about that every year.

Fans were complaining about Correa's contract and his lack of clutch hitting for most of last year, now they're complaining they didn't offer more. Minnesota fans are going to complain no matter what.

You are 100% correct. The problem is that it was done while he was a free agent. If they offered him that while he was under contract, I'd say that's a fair deal and they could have maybe gotten him for that (if it's true that he really did like it here). But as a FA, Boras was 100% telling the Twins what he was going to get elsewhere, in a bid to get an even bigger deal. So look at what he got and what the Twins offered. There's no way Correa is turning down a 13 year deal, even if it's for less money per season. When his 10-year contract with the Twins would be up, he'd be 38 years old and not able to command anywhere near the money that he's getting on his 13-year deal per year, and so he'd be leaving money on the table.

My point being that virtually any offer less than he got with the Giants is basically theater. The Twins knew what he was getting and still offered an inferior contract. Which again, I have no problems with them not beating it. But it's still annoying that they feel the need to save face and act like they had a shot.
I would disagree with that. If the Twins knew they would get him to sign for that offer, then I think they would have made it (or maybe they did and Correa wouldn't give them an answer). Correa's best interest was to go to free agency.

The only massive contract the Twins have really given out was Mauer, and fans still wrongfully complained about that every year.

Fans were complaining about Correa's contract and his lack of clutch hitting for most of last year, now they're complaining they didn't offer more. Minnesota fans are going to complain no matter what.
People complain when they're miserable. 30+ years without a major championship probably contributes to that just a little bit.

The Twins goal has always been to be good or good enough. Their goal has never been to be great. The two World Series wins in the very, very distant past were sort of accidents. If they were determined to take a shot a greatness, they would have offered Correa $351M over ten years. The same money over a shorter term. I'll bet he would have taken it since he was supposedly happy here. Then they swallow hard and trade Arraez for front line pitching. Then they invest more money in the bullpen. Lewis is ready in July. You have the makings of a potentially great team at a payroll that a little above the MLB average.

Plus we have Pagan!

Thinking Reusse's opinion of the Twins is that "they can do no wrong" is way off base. He has been incredibly critical of the Twins front office, manager and players.

Justified.

Baseball salaries getting way out of hand. It's going to cost a fortune to get season tickets in the future and it is tough for many to afford now. I'm fine with him going to SF.

I’m sure Twins will find some way to honor him in 15 years when he’s in the HOF, they’ll trot out a MN Twins Correra bobble head giveaway in an attempt to affiliate ourselves with him.
He will get a video board tribute (on the new improved video board) in June. No pre-game ceremony though. We still have some standards.

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don’t make.
Are you Terry Ryan?

I’d feel better about us losing Correra if I had confidence in this front office that we’d still address our glaring needs. Unless something changes in the next 2-3 months, Target Field will be a morgue again.

Win Twins!!
That's what's pathetic about this. We have sat around for a month letting Correa us the Twins to drive up his price. They should have given him 3 days and then moved on to signing Abreu and bullpen help. There's nothing left now but the bargain bin outside of Rodon.

Top Bottom