All Things 2022-2023 College Basketball Coach Hire/Fire Thread

Ole Miss chimes in:

Go Gophers!!
Yes, but will he get all the Misssissippi recruits? Will he be last in the SEC his first 2 years? If he is last in the SEC will they fire him. What if he does something silly and makes the dance in year one or 2 with portal players? No way. Can't be done. Poor Mississippi is looking at a 4-7 year rebuild. LOL

Sometimes people look for trouble when it's not there. I'm no Ohio State fan, but I'd be shocked if Holtmann were on the hot seat with a #6 recruiting class coming in, and I think in his case when he says he's not leaving for ND, he probably means it.

Interesting add’l info……

Wow -

I follow horse racing somewhat close, I go to the Belmont Stakes ever year.
Repole is one of the more prominent owners now and downs millions a year on the ponies. He’s a guy who’s legit money and loves to spend it.

Wow -

I follow horse racing somewhat close, I go to the Belmont Stakes ever year.
Repole is one of the more prominent owners now and downs millions a year on the ponies. He’s a guy who’s legit money and loves to spend it.
You made me read it- here's the key excerpt for those that don't:
A significant increase in St. John’s games at MSG is expected if Pitino takes the job. Billionaire alum Mike Repole, the co-founder of Vitamin Water, told The Post on Saturday he would look to get involved again with the program if it hires Pitino and help with Name, Image and Likeness.

Why is it that our billionaires like Glen Taylor and the Pohlads are cheapskates (relatively)?

A significant increase in St. John’s games at MSG is expected if Pitino takes the job. Billionaire alum Mike Repole, the co-founder of Vitamin Water, told The Post on Saturday he would look to get involved again with the program if it hires Pitino and help with Name, Image and Likeness.
Yeah I did see that and I will be shocked if Pitino doesn’t take it - will be interesting to see if he requires any type of facility upgrades.

Pitino isn’t an ethical coach, but he knows what he’s doing and there’s a ton of talent here and a sizable vacuum the Boheim has retired.

Last edited:

Yeah I did see that and I will be shocked if Pitino doesn’t take it - will be interesting to see if he requires any type of facility upgrades.
Pitino isn’t an ethical coach, but he knows what he’s doing and there’s a ton of talent here and a sizable vacuum the Boheim has retired.
The times have finally caught up to his practices. Now he is fairly ethical...by these rules. :)

Why is it that our billionaires like Glen Taylor and the Pohlads are cheapskates (relatively)?
Taylor and the Pohlads have teams, they don't need the attention. It seems like an opportunity for someone who would like to own a pro team but doesn't or isn't quite that rich to get similar appreciation and attention for a lot less $.

Taylor and the Pohlads have teams, they don't need the attention. It seems like an opportunity for someone who would like to own a pro team but doesn't or isn't quite that rich to get similar appreciation and attention for a lot less $.
Maybe it’s more about attracting the fan interest (potential major donors) who are a notch or two below that. There are 16? Fortune 500 HQ’s in MN. Something doesn't quite click, which is why …all the more respect for what PJ Fleck has accomplished. Need someone to sell the hoops program….

This and the fact they aren’t Minnesota alums

CEO of Moderna is a Gopher, he became a billionaire during the pandemic. Maybe he wants to help us get a damn PG.
Hockey fan. Plus most wealthy people want ROI. Social media is the best path for big big NIL deals. Those are few and far between. The smaller 10,000 type deals are worked out locally . Several programs are doing very well with players that have very small NIL deals.

Built- do you think Ben can get it done here? Serious question- I actually like him, but his back is already against the wall here.
He inherited a terri le situation but it is his job to find the solution. Most disappointing thing so far is still not establishing a identity of lockdown defense, toughness, efficiency. Damn surprised by that with Thorson on staff. I would think he will get two more years to show upper half of conference finishes or that will be it. This is a very hard job but so was UW, UVA , Baylor, UCONN , Nova. Finding a incredible coach is really hard to do. But when you do you can win anywhere. Washington State won ! I do not count Tubby as he simply found a soft landing and was well on the way down.

Top Bottom