All Things 2021 NCAA College Basketball March Madness Tournament Thread

Seth noted that LC is not used to operating against zone defense. They look really uncomfortable, and they can't hit an outside shot to save their life.
A few years ago I read the book Glory Road, if you recall the movie was the story of Texas Western winning the national title with an all-black starting lineup. The book is more of an autobiography and within it, Haskins talks about a game in the NCAA tournament, I believe it was the semifinal game before playing Kentucky in the championship (memory is fuzzy), but it was the first time Haskins and his team ever saw a zone defense. After being initially perplexed, Haskins observed what was going on for a few minutes, called a timeout, and drew up for the team how to beat this newfangled defense, which they went on to do rather handily. Probably a bit of embellishment in the story, but it was an amazing story to ponder on several different levels--having never seen the defense before, so advance scouting, no video, and then drawing up on the fly how to attack it. I wish I had that mind for hoops.

How come today’s coaches can’t or won’t switch back and forth between zone and man to man defense during the game. Are today’s players to used to aau ball that they can’t be taught any coach in the big 10 would have a couple extra wins in the big 10 as all the teams look lost against a zone.
Your allowed only so much practice time and the trick is to find out what you can be really good at. Cuse is great at their zone because they recruit to it and drill on it. Teams need time to prepare for it have great shooters and have that jack knife player that can flash to the free throw line, always catch it. kick to deep shot, turn and hit the free throw line jumper over length or find the two low post that are behind the defense , deeper than the backboard and leaning towards the meeting of the ball. So many things for coaches to consider. Fitting skills into a team, time management. The best one focus on the fundamentals

ff
Very impressive. iNCREDIBLE that so many programs are so bad defensively and year after year are mediocre.

The great & amazingly sad thing is that anyone can play effective D; yet so few commit to it and do it.

It covers for when your shooting is off (if a good offensive team_ and if you don't have a great offense to begin with.

Go Beav’s! Last time they made it this far I was undergrad watching some of the best passing teams ever, coached by Ralph Miller. Miller time!

Oral Roberts sixth best shooter better than Pitino's first?

Ummm...I was just kidding....and then I went and looked at team statistics. Tre was our best 3pt shooter at 32.9% (excluding Mutaf). They indeed have six guys shooting a higher 3pt% than that. And that's if you exclude the two guys getting less than 10 minutes per game......sad.

I'm seriously thinking of startng a Go Fund Me page to trim those eyebrows.

Arkansas not playing disciplined. Dumb ally oop attempt leads to a dunk on the other end.

Minority opinion I’m sure, but glad ORU and Loyola are both out.

How did this team finish 4th in the Summit?
It was very close at the top. One more win and they would have been second. They got this far in the tournament. because they got way more out of their secondary players and bench than they did in the regular season. And they lost tonight because they got nothing from their bench.

It's nice not having the Sweet 16 games overlap though. I wonder if they will keep this new schedule going forward.
I like it too, but I would guess it's a 1 time deal.

Normally, it would be a tough 3 day turnaround for the teams/coaches with a potential cross country road trip thrown on top to the Final 4. Also a logistical nightmare for fanbases to travel there.

Which is the best Conference, PAC 10 or SWC?

It was very close at the top. One more win and they would have been second. They got this far in the tournament. because they got way more out of their secondary players and bench than they did in the regular season. And they lost tonight because they got nothing from their bench.

They mostly lost tonight because a near 40% team from 3 couldnt hit the broad side of the barn.

Actually all tourney they didnt shoot it that great from deep. Which is amazing considering they were 1 play away from the elite 8.

Top Bottom