All Things 2021 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2021/3/18/22338843/vikings-offensive-line-plan-coming-into-focus

It appears the Vikings may have a plan in place for the offensive line this season.

Here it is:

Right Tackle - Brian O’Neill

Right Guard - Ezra Cleveland

Center - Garrett Bradbury

Left Guard - Oli Udoh

Left Tackle - Orlando Brown Jr. / Draft Pick

Swing Tackle - Rashod Hill

The first three are no surprise, as they’re the incumbents. It would seem, however, there is no intent to move either O’Neill or Cleveland to left tackle. That could remain a plan b if a capable left tackle cannot be acquired, but I suspect the intent is to keep both O’Neill and Cleveland in their current spots. O’Neill is the best performing OL on the roster at RT, and Cleveland had the 4th highest overall PFF grade among rookie guards last season, and showed improvement as the season progressed. Bradbury was more or less a given.

Chad Graff of The Athletic reported that Oli Udoh converted to guard part of last season (right guard from what I understand), and could make the switch permanent to compete for starting left guard. He added that Udoh said, “whatever they need me to play, I’m willing to play.” I wrote here a year ago that Udoh could be a candidate for left guard, in the mold of Kelechi Osemele, who excelled at left guard in several systems, including Kubiak’s in Baltimore. Apparently they’re getting around to taking my advice (LOL).

It’s also been reported that the Vikings are in trade talks to acquire Orlando Brown Jr. at left tackle. No deal has been done, and would likely require both a trade deal with the Ravens for Brown, and a deal with Brown on a contract extension. But should those deals be completed, it would give the Vikings a lot of flexibility with their first round pick at the end of April. If the Vikings are unable to secure Brown’s services, it would seem more likely that a left tackle would be targeted with their first round pick.

Zim/Spiel doing everything in their power to not have to draft an OL.

Oli Udoh .... an OT from FCS school Elon, drafted 6th round. Is the new starter at LG?

Hey, his wikipedia page says he threw the shot put ..... 44 feet, in high school.

Think they overpaid last year for Harris? He made $3mil in ‘19, $11.4mil (on franchise tag) in ‘20, and now $5mil in ‘21.

Its to bad football free agency is before the draft, should be after. Then maybe the Vikings draft AWJ and let Harris go.

I also heard someone say Harris production last year might have been down because they had to change the scheme to 2 high safeties to help the cornerbacks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/facts-figures-vikings-lb-anthony-000307181.html

With seemingly little cap space heading into this offseason, the Vikings have made plenty of moves to free up space for 2021.

The team’s latest move is a restructure with LB Anthony Barr. As reported by Ben Goessling of the Star Tribune, Barr’s cap hit on this season will be just over $6.1 million with the base salary being $1 million.

Over the Cap has already updated the Vikings’ cap space for 2021. The outlet reported that Minnesota now has a little more than $10.3 million in cap space.

Any chance Mike Hughes could move to free safety?

I mean, he's slated for a $3.1M cap number this year, and they haven't cut him yet so assume they're keeping him for 2021.

Any chance Mike Hughes could move to free safety?

I mean, he's slated for a $3.1M cap number this year, and they haven't cut him yet so assume they're keeping him for 2021.
I think he's too small. And does it really matter where he plays the 3 games before he gets hurt? He needs to be CB4/5 if they're going to have a decent defense.

CB1: Dantzler CB2: ?? CB3: Peterson CB4: Gladney CB5: Hughes

I think he's too small. And does it really matter where he plays the 3 games before he gets hurt? He needs to be CB4/5 if they're going to have a decent defense.

CB1: Dantzler CB2: ?? CB3: Peterson CB4: Gladney CB5: Hughes
Nickle corner is pretty much a starting position these days, over a 3rd LB. I believe that's where Gladney will start, isn't it?

We need a free safety, one way or another.

Nickle corner is pretty much a starting position these days, over a 3rd LB. I believe that's where Gladney will start, isn't it?

We need a free safety, one way or another.
If Gladney improves a lot, he could be CB2, but I expect them to draft one in the first 3 rounds. I think Peterson has nickle CB on lock.

At that cap #, they should cut Hughes. He's Zimmer's guy and Speilman doesn't want to admit he bombed a 1st round pick.

If Gladney improves a lot, he could be CB2, but I expect them to draft one in the first 3 rounds. I think Peterson has nickle CB on lock.

At that cap #, they should cut Hughes. He's Zimmer's guy and Speilman doesn't want to admit he bombed a 1st round pick.
I don't think so. We still have Harrison Hand too, who I did like in spot duty last year. Plays really hard, hits hard. Not always in the right spot.

I could easily be wrong.

Call me crazy/optimistic but I think the young DB's are going to be fine. They really got hosed by getting thrown into the fire so early with the season along with having the worst, easily the WORST, defensive line in the NFL. Peterson should be a great influence, with any luck he'll take the under his wing and show them how to be a pro like Larry Fitz did with Peterson in PHX.

I think the defense will be decent

If we have Hunter, Pierce, Tomlinson, Kendricks, Barr, PP, the young CB's, and Harrison all operating at a high level, and we get lucky as hell with injuries .... yes I do think this defense could be great again.

Need another DE to step up, need to find a FS who can step up, and a decent 3rd LB for running situations (Dye?).

As far as Hughes being too small to play FS: Tyrann Mathieu is 5-9 190 and was first team All-Pro this season. Sure, I understand about exceptions. Just saying, maybe Hughes can do it.

FS is a centerfielder and a coverage guy, not a hitter usually. We have Harrison for SS as a LB like guy.

As far as Hughes being too small to play FS: Tyrann Mathieu is 5-9 190 and was first team All-Pro this season. Sure, I understand about exceptions. Just saying, maybe Hughes can do it.

FS is a centerfielder and a coverage guy, not a hitter usually. We have Harrison for SS as a LB like guy.
We should have AW Jr. playing FS, RICK.

Vikings add depth on offensive line with trade for Mason Cole
Not a terrible pickup for a relatively low cost. Cole has played a lot of Center for the Cards, beating out AQ Shipley a few years ago, but he hasn't been outstanding. He's got position flexibility obviously, playing both G/C; he became a little bit expendable when the Cards acquired Pro Bowl Center Rodney Hudson from the Raiders a few days ago

Solid player, probably a decent upgrade from Dozier/Samia. Not a big splash, but it makes them a better OL today than they were last week for the cost of a 6th round pick.

Niners trading 3 1sts to the Dolphins for #3. That's a lot to give up but they will get either Wilson or Fields.

Wow. 49ers trading two future 1st rounders to Miami to move up to #3 in the draft. They like one of the QB's no doubt. I wonder which one, and if they like one of the non-Lawrence QB's that much, but are sure he will still be there at #1. I've actually heard some like Zach Wilson better than Lawrence. I don't know if he's far off, he's awfully damn good. I would actually rate Fields 4th of the top 4 QB's if I were ranking them, but everyone will have them ranked differently.

If the 49'ers are willing to give up 2 #1 picks to move up in the draft and take a rookie QB, I wonder what they would have given up for Cousins?

Was listening to Doogie on Skor North with Mackey and Judd. the gist was that the Vikes are going "all in" on 2021. Ziggy wants to see the team in the playoffs, and Zimmer and Spielman's jobs may be on the line. So, Zimm and Spielman (according to Doogie) are basically saying "bleep the future" and doing whatever they can to have the best possible team this year. Which could really bite them in the butt a couple of years from now with cap room, etc.

But, if it doesn't work, then Zimm and Spielman won't be around to deal with the mess.

If the 49'ers are willing to give up 2 #1 picks to move up in the draft and take a rookie QB, I wonder what they would have given up for Cousins?

Was listening to Doogie on Skor North with Mackey and Judd. the gist was that the Vikes are going "all in" on 2021. Ziggy wants to see the team in the playoffs, and Zimmer and Spielman's jobs may be on the line. So, Zimm and Spielman (according to Doogie) are basically saying "bleep the future" and doing whatever they can to have the best possible team this year. Which could really bite them in the butt a couple of years from now with cap room, etc.

But, if it doesn't work, then Zimm and Spielman won't be around to deal with the mess.
They certainly could have gotten SF's 1st for Cousins and would probably have thrown Garrapolo in too. I'd have taken that deal.

With this done, the only trade partner left that makes sense is Denver, but I doubt that will happen.

If they somehow went to the Superbowl ... F it, it'd be worth it.

Would rather have a magical season and a bleak future, than several years of above average.

Niners trading 3 1sts to the Dolphins for #3. That's a lot to give up but they will get either Wilson or Fields.
It's setting up perfect for the 9'ers. Jimmy G can be cut easily after '21. So you keep Jimmy as your QB in '21, hoping you stay healthy and do something in the playoffs. Even with a non-elite QB they actually can because when healthy their D is elite. You draft your future QB this year and let him sit and learn. If you get a good trade this year, you can ship off Jimmy and start the process early. But if not, you can try and trade him next offseason while he's still under contract. If you don't get any offers, just cut him. Meanwhile, you have a QB on a rookie deal, so you can afford to resign your elite defense.

Shipping off two future first rounders is risky. However, it's not if you get your QB. If he flops, you're probably screwed either way, so many not quite as risky as it seems. Having been conditioned by Spielman, it's so bizarre to see GM's that actually plan for the future.

Top Bottom